Mason Rudolph could be the steal of the 2018 QB draft and has the most to prove per Bettis...

Watching his tapes on Youtube in big games and high pressure situations...  I think this guy is MUCH better than Allen.  Nobody is going to know until he gets a couple of season under his belt but he does have the most to prove...  I was listening to Jerome Bettis at his restaurant in Pittsburgh and his pick for the Bills was Mason and the Bills keep their pics for their rebuild.  Bettis said some great things about Buffalo and said after next years FA and their cap they will be the team of the AFC in 2020.    His only complaints about the Bills was the time to award the fans of Buffalo with a new stadium.

If your in the Pittsburgh area, make a point to visit his restaurant and grab a steak!  Very good food and the guy is always there greeting you and talking sports.  His fav is hockey and this guy knows EVERY goon who ever played the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The thing that personally I dont love about this cat is that for every excellent NFL style throw, he has a throw that wlda been picked or knocked down in the NFL- but he was saved by his receiver making a play for him. There doesnt seem to be a ton of anticipation throwing and I cant tell how many reads he is progressing through if any with any regularity. Maybe these are things he learns, but I dont get the same fuzzy feeling watching his highlights as Sam and even either josh.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

The thing that personally I dont love about this cat is that for every excellent NFL style throw, he has a throw that wlda been picked or knocked down in the NFL- but he was saved by his receiver making a play for him. There doesnt seem to be a ton of anticipation throwing and I cant tell how many reads he is progressing through if any with any regularity. Maybe these are things he learns, but I dont get the same fuzzy feeling watching his highlights as Sam and even either josh.

True.  Not as much zip on the ball in a lot of his highlights.

19 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

The man has a lot of process in him.  I just saw his white board session with mariucci on NFL Network.  Did anyone see it yet?

Sharp kid

Very “process”

As an aside, Mayfield played hurt too 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Magox said:

If the Bills can't get Rosen or Mayfield then trading back from 12 a few spots to get Rudolph as a plan C would be good with me.

Can’t get too cute...while you’re trading back another team will be busy trading up and then you’re left with nothing...if you want him, probably best to take him at 12.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thunderingsquid said:

The man has a lot of process in him.  I just saw his white board session with mariucci on NFL Network.  Did anyone see it yet?

Damn.

Gonna look for more of these.

I'd like to see the other guys

Mayfield did solid on it as well, not as sure of himself since he's learning wco

Kizer from last year aced it too, fwiw

Edited by SouthNYfan
Added
  • Like (+1) 1

Came into this year thinking he'd be the #1 qb by years end.  I think his stature and body of work is extremely impressive, however think he is more suited for a Air Coryell type offense.  

As an sude, the cadence of his voice in interviews is almost an exact match for Peyton Manning.  Anyone else pick up on it?

I have to admit I find many of these QB prospects each year to be very impressive.  Not sure I could remember all of this stuff in such a compressed and pressured situation.

Seems like a bright kid with the right kind of attitude.  No idea if he can play effectively at the NFL level.  Would be great if we can find our QB of the future without trading all of our accumulated draft capital.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BobDVA said:

I billieved that we would get Rudolph at 22, now I think we have to take him at 12 because the Patcheatiots*  will jump a head of us and take him before 22.

yep. just because.

28 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Can’t get too cute...while you’re trading back another team will be busy trading up and then you’re left with nothing...if you want him, probably best to take him at 12.

I get that and if they believe he can truly be the guy then yeah, I agree you pull the trigger at 12.

5 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I like the kid, I think he’ll have a solid career. But he’s the QB who will need a good defense 

How do feel about Bills Defense B-)
If they do not move up in the draft (trade down ) this could be the right move. If they really like him that is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mellaman101 said:

Watching his tapes on Youtube in big games and high pressure situations...  I think this guy is MUCH better than Allen.  Nobody is going to know until he gets a couple of season under his belt but he does have the most to prove...  I was listening to Jerome Bettis at his restaurant in Pittsburgh and his pick for the Bills was Mason and the Bills keep their pics for their rebuild.  Bettis said some great things about Buffalo and said after next years FA and their cap they will be the team of the AFC in 2020.    His only complaints about the Bills was the time to award the fans of Buffalo with a new stadium.

If your in the Pittsburgh area, make a point to visit his restaurant and grab a steak!  Very good food and the guy is always there greeting you and talking sports.  His fav is hockey and this guy knows EVERY goon who ever played the game.

Lauletta has more of what it takes but lacks that huge arm, sorry, not against Rudolph but I don't see him as a 1st rounder. I also like Baker, Falk and Lauletta way more. Allen interests me but not moving up, project and Bills have needs. The people that say he has accuracy issues don't really know him. He is a 57% passer on a bad team and bad line. He had to take a higher degree of difficult passes than the cream of this draft, they were behind allot. This guy is a freak athlete, just needs 2-3 years grooming and you could have Young, Elway, McNab here. That is why he will be Cleveland's pick!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

1 minute ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Lauletta has more of what it takes but lacks that huge arm, sorry, not against Rudolph but I don't see him as a 1st rounder. I also like Baker, Falk and Lauletta way more. Allen interests me but not moving up, project and Bills have needs. The people that say he has accuracy issues don't really know him. He is a 57% passer on a bad team and bad line. He had to take a higher degree of difficult passes than the cream of this draft. This guy is a freak athlete, just needs 2-3 years grooming and you could have Young, Elway, McNab here.

....not convinced that should be a qualifier or disqualifier.....Jeff George had a huge arm...meh......Montana did NOT have a huge arm but managed to put FOUR Lombardis on the shelf......as a 3rd round skinny kid out of Notre Dame I might add.....the Intel chip between a QB's ears means more than a cannon IMO.............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....not convinced that should be a qualifier or disqualifier.....Jeff George had a huge arm...meh......Montana did NOT have a huge arm but managed to put FOUR Lombardis on the shelf......as a 3rd round skinny kid out of Notre Dame I might add.....the Intel chip between a QB's ears means more than a cannon IMO.............

I agree with you but that tends to get you in the 1st rounder and why 1st rounders not 1 over all tend to fail. Again I like Baker (stats), Lauletta ( smart, leader), Falk( pure strong arm pocket passer with accuracy low INT's) just not mobile. I actually like and think McCarron has what it takes but know odds are better by bringing in to camp 4 legitimate QB's and keep 3 till you find the franchise guy.

Edited by USABuffaloFan

2 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

I agree with you but that tends to get you in the 1st rounder and why 1st rounders not 1 over all tend to fail.

....with allegedly and probably one of the better QB draft classes in recent years, the crapshoot and dichotomy of opinions is even wider than perhaps '83/'84.......case in point....Kiper has Allen going #1 overall whereas other pundits have him slipping to the 3rd or even later......

I don’t believe Bills will be able to get to 1or 2 in order to secure Darnold. Price will be too high and Rudolph is a perfect fit for this regime. He would be a virtual lock for a top 3 pick if he had more arm strength. I think he has just enough to get the job done and he checks virtually every other box. Best in pocket movement out of this qb class. 

17 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....with allegedly and probably one of the better QB draft classes in recent years, the crapshoot and dichotomy of opinions is even wider than perhaps '83/'84.......case in point....Kiper has Allen going #1 overall whereas other pundits have him slipping to the 3rd or even later......

Who has Allen going in the 3rd?! I did not see this...

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

If I was Cleveland I would trade up with Giants giving then next years 1st and 33, 35,60, 108, 137. Would draft Darnold, Allen and with 4th pick Barkley or Chubbs. I think Allen is the guy but could be the BIG miss. They can't miss this year, Tyrod is good enough to put you in middle of league next year. If needed they could trade 4 to Giants but would need trade to 5 with similar deal. If Cleveland ends up with any combination of Allen (must) Darnold, Baker, Rosen as safer picks and can land Chubbs or Barkley, you are good with not having another pick in this draft. Do whatever it takes. Cleveland at end of preseason can trade 2nd QB drafted after Allen for 1st next year if Allen looks like the guy! Tyrod is playing unless hurt anyway to build on winning again.

As some may or may not know, I've been friends with a few NFL scouts for years now. One of them retired a couple years ago but he still stays in touch with the guys out in the field. He says the community is comparing Rudolph to Garoppolo coming out and that a couple years learning in a pro system is all he needs. Thought that was interesting enough to share. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

As some may or may not know, I've been friends with a few NFL scouts for years now. One of them retired a couple years ago but he still stays in touch with the guys out in the field. He says the community is comparing Rudolph to Garoppolo coming out and that a couple years learning in a pro system is all he needs. Thought that was interesting enough to share. 

Garoppolo got to sit behind Brady to learn and isn't a sure thing in SF. Means nothing except what we know already. Shouldn't risk Bills future with 1st pick on a guy that needs to sit for 3-4 years before he become Garoppolo. I would do that to get a guy who might be Young, Favre, Brees, Rodgers. These guys were good but sat behind someone then got the job and went to Superbowls. Young, Brees and Favre each failed with original team. 

1 minute ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Garoppolo got to sit behind Brady to learn and isn't a sure thing in SF. Means nothing except what we know already. Shouldn't risk Bills future with 1st pick on a guy that needs to sit for 3-4 years before he become Garoppolo. I would do that to get a guy who might be Young, Favre, Brees, Rodgers. These guys were good but sat behind someone then got the job and went to Superbowls. Young, Brees and Favre each failed with original team. 

I don't necessarily disagree and I didn't post what I did as an endorsement. Just thought it was interesting what some in the scouting community had to say. Personally, I think Rudolph is already a better prospect coming out. But like you said, it means little until we see a prospect transition to the next level. 

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That makes sense as to why teams like NE, LAC and Pitt are interested. I would think the Bills would be questionable because they need someone who can play now. Imo

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That makes sense as to why teams like NE, LAC and Pitt are interested. I would think the Bills would be questionable because they need someone who can play now. Imo

I agree. He is tailor-made for the offenses those teams run and he'd get into a sit and learn situation with all of them. Personally, I don't want my rookie QB to have that kind of pressure unless he's an Andrew Luck ready coming out and, other than Rosen, I don't see one in this draft. 

38 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

If I was Cleveland I would trade up with Giants giving then next years 1st and 33, 35,60, 108, 137. Would draft Darnold, Allen and with 4th pick Barkley or Chubbs. I think Allen is the guy but could be the BIG miss. They can't miss this year, Tyrod is good enough to put you in middle of league next year. If needed they could trade 4 to Giants but would need trade to 5 with similar deal. If Cleveland ends up with any combination of Allen (must) Darnold, Baker, Rosen as safer picks and can land Chubbs or Barkley, you are good with not having another pick in this draft. Do whatever it takes. Cleveland at end of preseason can trade 2nd QB drafted after Allen for 1st next year if Allen looks like the guy! Tyrod is playing unless hurt anyway to build on winning again.

...VERY interesting and in depth assessment....thanks for sharing bud............

Rudolph is going to be the BEST out of the draft. Mark my words.  Rosen will get into trouble with his coaches.  Baker will be good. Darnold COULD be great if he doesn't get drafted by the Browns.  Rudolph's IQ is HIGH.  I'd get him at #22. #12 we get CB, WR, or LB.

• Like (+1) 2