LaConjecture Says Six QBs in the 1st Round

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can anyone find data about what LaCanfora predicted prior to previous drafts compared to what happened?  It seems to me these guys were saying similar things in 2011/2012 and other years - 2014?

Just now, kdiggz said:

There will be 5 in the top half of round 1 so sure, there will probably 1 more in the 2nd half. First time 4 will go in the top 10 in history and those 4 could even go in the top 5 if the Bills trade up

I will be surprised if that is the case.  I think professional scouts do not evaluate the QB the same way as the pundits do.  I do not think this class has such exceptional talent that 4 QB will go in the top 10, especially since only 2-3 teams in the top 10 are in immediate need of a starting QB - maybe 4 if you stretch a point.

The Browns and the Jets will draft a QB.  Maybe the Broncos, depending on who they like.  I think the Giants will draft a QB but not at #2.

This happens every year.  There’s always a lot of drum up around QBs.  But this year could definitely be different.  All of this is tied to an early run, which is projected, but not 100%.  The #2 pick will be the key.  If Cleveland picks Darnold, I can see a slight slide for QBs with maybe 4-5.  If they take Allen first, it changes everything and that #2 pick turns things REALLY real....   dogs and cats living together....   MASS HYSTERIA!!!!!!

I agree with at least six and perhaps more.

Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson, Rudolph. Cleveland, NY Giants, NY Jets, Buffalo, Denver, Arizona all need looking to draft a QB. 

Then you have teams like the Patriots, Chargers, Seahawks, Ravens, Jaguars, Dolphins who already have a franchise QB and are looking to the future.

I think at least four of this years QBs become starters and perhaps one or two future HoFers.

Then you have Mike White, Luke Faulk who could also move up into the first round for some of these teams.

• Like (+1) 1

I also agree that there will be 6 first round QB's and 4 in the top 10, possibly 6.  

I don't think there are any perceived "homerun" QB prospects like we saw with Manning or Luck but there are a bunch of 1st and 2nd round grade QB's to be had which is a lot more than we are used to seeing.  It's the most that I recall seeing in recent memory.

55 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

There will be 5 in the top half of round 1 so sure, there will probably 1 more in the 2nd half. First time 4 will go in the top 10 in history and those 4 could even go in the top 5 if the Bills trade up

Probably four in top 5 whether the Bills trade up or not.  Giants will go QB if they stay.  They aren't trading down to 12 and trading down at all means they risk 50 years of fans b wording about whoever the Jets pick.  Denver also very likely to pick QB.  If they don't, I think they might trade.  Could also see either way at 4 with Cle but they have so many picks that my guess is they stay put.

55 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Mason Rudolph at #12, James Washington at #53.

They need a player like Deon Cain more than a James Washington. They already have Kelvin Benjamin for that role. They need several outside speed receivers and another TE.

I'd rather go

Mason Rudolph QB

Maurice Hurst DT

Dallas Goedert TE

Frank Ragnow RG

Fred Warner MLB

Deon Cain WR

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Happy to take the under on this.

I can easily see a place where Denver, Arizona, Miami, New England and the Giants have priorities elsewhere. There are three teams that clearly, obviously need to take a QB in the Browns, Jets and Bills. Every other team in the NFL signed or has in place expensive, reasonable starters on their teams - with clear, real roster issues elsewhere. It's like fans and websites have forgotten the $40MM committed to Sam Bradford & Case Keenum. I guarantee you their GMs did not. 

Baker Mayfield, #1 overall to the Browns. When the Giants pass on a QB, the draft goes nuts when the Jets do something unexpected - perhaps taking neither one of the California QBs. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was two of Darnold, Rosen and Jackson available at 6 - quite possibly, all three.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Those four could go in the top five if the Bills DON'T trade up, which is what I'm worried about.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can anyone find data about what LaCanfora predicted prior to previous drafts compared to what happened?  It seems to me these guys were saying similar things in 2011/2012 and other years - 2014?

I will be surprised if that is the case.  I think professional scouts do not evaluate the QB the same way as the pundits do.  I do not think this class has such exceptional talent that 4 QB will go in the top 10, especially since only 2-3 teams in the top 10 are in immediate need of a starting QB - maybe 4 if you stretch a point.

The Browns and the Jets will draft a QB.  Maybe the Broncos, depending on who they like.  I think the Giants will draft a QB but not at #2.

I've seen lots of predictions that 4- could go in the top half.  It's hardly a stretch.  And it's not because all prospects are so exceptional--it's that they are talented and close in talent.  Jets, Browns and Denver definitely.  I don't see why the Giants would pass on their best opportunity in years to draft Manning's replacement.  Remember, this was a season where there was serious talk that they would get rid of him this offseason.

The draft has changed significantly.  1st round picks cost almost nothing compared to the recent pass.  The financial penalty for whiffing is completely insignificant.  Conversely, hitting on a franchise QB in the first round is a huge financial bonus for any team.

I'm thinking 6 QB's in the first 8 picks, and maybe 10 or 12 in the first round. Then another 15 or so in the second round. 

By the 7th round I see nothing but QB's being picked, all the way down to Division III back-ups and even High School players. 

You simply cannot have enough QB's in your pipeline until you get the franchise guy. 

7 hours ago, DFT said:

This happens every year.  There’s always a lot of drum up around QBs.  But this year could definitely be different.  All of this is tied to an early run, which is projected, but not 100%.  The #2 pick will be the key.  If Cleveland picks Darnold, I can see a slight slide for QBs with maybe 4-5.  If they take Allen first, it changes everything and that #2 pick turns things REALLY real....   dogs and cats living together....   MASS HYSTERIA!!!!!!

....LMAO......gotta love it....and good 'ol Jason is known for missing the Atlantic with a beachball from a boat.......Dead Eye.........

• Like (+1) 1

There is absolutely a good chance of this happening. And it'll be a thin draft after that.  It's a poor draft by all accounts 

And

Calling him la conjecture

Let's remind errbody

Times 26copypaste has been right (0) < times lacanfora has been right

Original thoughts also are pretty nifty.

i'm guessing.....

1. darnold

2. barkley or chubb

3. rosen

4. mayfield...bills 12/22/65 

5. allen

6. barkley or chubb

i'm sticking with the gettleman never trades down thing...and i also think there's a tenative deal with the browns with the framework for such was formed with the tyrod trade. hopefully 4 is not for allen.

or...if i'm wrong and the browns take someone other than darnold and the giants take him, we could be looking at big problems....especially if the browns want barkley or chubb at 4.

Edited by billsredneck1

On 4/6/2018 at 1:51 PM, ddaryl said:

a few weeks ago I would of said no friggin way, but being reminded of the 5th year option for 1st rd picks makes this more of a probability

This is partly why QBs are being pushed up along with the salaries of starting QBs skyrocketing.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Have you watch any film on him?

I guess I never noticed. They tried to get me to hold the ball like that because my hands were not very big and I had a hard time gripping the ball. Lamar's hands are 9.5 which should be big enough to grip it normally. I wonder what the story is there and if anyone at the NFL holds it like that. I'll have to look into this now

It beats Cardale's grip. Can you believe the Bills drafted him and he didn't even know how to grip a football? Yikes

cardale-jones-no-lace-grip-5a0110bb28dda

I've never seen a grip with the index finger ON the nose of the football like this at the pro level. That's pretty bizarre

Taxslayer_Bowl_Football_41948-727x485.jp

8 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I guess I never noticed. They tried to get me to hold the ball like that because my hands were not very big and I had a hard time gripping the ball. Lamar's hands are 9.5 which should be big enough to grip it normally. I wonder what the story is there and if anyone at the NFL holds it like that. I'll have to look into this now

It beats Cardale's grip. Can you believe the Bills drafted him and he didn't even know how to grip a football? Yikes

cardale-jones-no-lace-grip-5a0110bb28dda

I've never seen a grip with the index finger ON the nose of the football like this at the pro level. That's pretty bizarre

Taxslayer_Bowl_Football_41948-727x485.jp

595963E9-F818-445A-A1B8-D91DD9189A00.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

595963E9-F818-445A-A1B8-D91DD9189A00.jpeg

Close. That's at the edge of the nose that helps with control. Jackson's finger is actually on the tip of the nose. Looks like his entire grip is a little lower than usual too.

Edited by kdiggz

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Close. That's at the edge of the nose that helps with control. Jackson's finger is actually on the tip of the nose

There are other better pictures but it is functionally the same grip. I saw an interview with Warner a few years ago on his grip.

kurt-warner.jpg

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1