Bills had deal in place with Colts to trade to 3 before Jets swooped in, per WGR

Nate Geary said today in WGR two team sources have told him the bills had a deal in place with the colts to get to 3 and the Jets deal with them really hurt.

He also said that's why they traded Tyrod. Not sure if he meant because they knew they were getting to 3 or if the 3rd round pick from Cleveland was a part of the trade package 

They did not have a deal in place if it was able to be beat by the Jets.

Could explain the actions on FA QBs, Bills opened FA thinking they had a trade done with Colts, Colts informed them Friday it changed, Bills signed McCarron Friday afternoon, Colts-Jets trade broke Saturday morning.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

so Buffalo moved to 12 with the understanding from Indy that 12 was good enough with additional picks to get 3?  BecUse if that is true then Indy double crossed buffalo.

or did buffalo randomly pick 12 and just assumed 12 and extra picks would be good enough for Indy?  Because if true then Beane is naive and green.

also,

if Indy and buffalo had a deal...did Indy give buffalo an opportunity to up their offer?  Or give buffalo time to maybe get the #7,8,9 Pick and then trade?

I sincerely doubt that the Colts didn't give Beane a chance to beat the Jets' offer. If the Jets beat the Bills to the 3 spot, it's because Beane chose not to agree to whatever it was going to take to beat the Jets' offer.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

outside of that? That’s one piece and I clearly stated they don’t have a plan. Plans involve more than one thing 

Their UFA acquisitions look pretty good as well. 

Just now, Logic said:

I sincerely doubt that the Colts didn't give Beane a chance to beat the Jets' offer. If the Jets beat the Bills to the 3 spot, it's because Beane chose not to agree to whatever it was going to take to beat the Jets' offer.

Their GM said he didn't want to move out of the top ten. 

We have no idea what happened. Maybe the cost went up and Ballard asked us for more and it went over the amount Beane was willing to pay. 

I love the fact that Beane doesn't seem willing to overpay, but in this instance maybe he should have. At the end of the day, trading to 3 simply guarantees you the third best quarterback. But I do like that Beane seems to have brass balls and is going to stick to his guns. 

Bills fans, take solace in the fact that the Jets will 100% f this up. There is no way they get this right. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Also, if the Colts said "we've got a deal" and got off the phone with us, only to call the Jets, or field a call from the Jets, eff them forever.

Feeling like 2004 all over, having a supposed deal done to move up and the other team backing out.

Very unethical, but he it's the NFL and you know who is the most unethical of all.

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

And then immediately said they'd be open to another trade down.

It wouldn't shock me if Beane got off the phone thinking a deal was done, Ballard called up the Jets for one last push, they relented, he called Beane back and Beane told him to respectively eff off.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

We have no idea what happened. Maybe the cost went up and Ballard asked us for more and it went over the amount Beane was willing to pay. 

I love the fact that Beane doesn't seem willing to overpay, but in this instance maybe he should have. At the end of the day, trading to 3 simply guarantees you the third best quarterback. But I do like that Beane seems to have brass balls and is going to stick to his guns. 

Bills fans, take solace in the fact that the Jets will 100% f this up. There is no way they get this right. 

It's better to count on the competence of the Bills' GM and scouts than hoping another franchise screws up. 

Beane wasn't willing to pay the price. Simple as that. If they had a deal it would have gotten done. Jets offered more including a more attractive draft spot. It's not eBay. Jets didn't outbid them by $1 with 5 seconds left. Bills made their offer, Jets beat it, Bills not willing to beat it or get into a bidding war, Colts made the deal

• Like (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

One can only hope this is true.......

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

And then immediately said they'd be open to another trade down.

It wouldn't shock me if Beane got off the phone thinking a deal was done, Ballard called up the Jets for one last push, they relented, he called Beane back and Beane told him to respectively eff off.

Total speculation. Who knows how things went down, but it's logical to think the Bills were involved.  The Jets have said they began engaging with the Colts all the way back to Senior Bowl week. 

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It makes no sense for Bills to leak this info.  Just let's Giants and Browns know we're desperate.  Perhaps it's all a smokescreen and Jackson or the guy from Oklahoma St are the real targets.  

Or we've been frozen out, got double crossed by the Colts and aren't afraid to shine the light on a rat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

It makes no sense for Bills to leak this info.  Just let's Giants and Browns know we're desperate.  Perhaps it's all a smokescreen and Jackson or the guy from Oklahoma St are the real targets.  

Oh god please not more of this!

Get a real !@#$ing franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It is amazing to me how BLIND some of you want to be to what is happening here.  The COLTS took the Jets offer, not because Buffalo could pay MORE but because the Colts only had to move to 6.  There are some players way up there that INDY really likes that won't be there at 12.  The Colts get the extra picks in a deep draft, and still get at top 3 NON QB.  They didn't WANT the Bills package!  .....and the other thing that is funny is that everyone just assumes that the 2nd pick can be had if the Bills just meet the asking price.....there is no asking price to be met.....the Jets certainly called about it.  If the Giants were in this for a top 3 NON QB, they would have traded out already....They are taking the QB.  ....can't stress this enough....hardest thing to find is a high end, franchise type QB.  Your odds of getting one are much higher at the top end of a draft.  If you think you can get one, you get him.  The Giants have the 2nd pick in a year where there are some guys who many think could be that kind of guy.  If you are the Giants, you do not know where you will draft next year, and surely your scouting department has told you that the 2019 QB crop is garbage...even if ONE guy emerges...will you be in position to get him?  The most value the Giants can get from that pick is to use it this year while they are in position to get their next QB.  They even have the unusual luxury of drafting so high but still having a vet QB in place so the new guy can sit if they are so inclinded.  The Bills will either sit at 12 or trade up to 9 or so for Josh Allen, or gamble on waiting for Mason Rudolph...but that is a huge risk because Arizona, Pittsburg, and the LA Chargers are lurking...the Chargers are especially dangerous to move up on someone.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

got rid of Mo with a dead cap of 9 mil for a guy who is a very good d end and now are offering big money to suh to come in. smart decision is to keep suh. also teddy b is a terrible signing as the guy has show about as much as their young qbs.  trumaine johnson is a great signing for that secondary and that group can be nice.  They've ignored the o line and could have made the signing of crowell better...but who would be better carlos hyde or teddy b? hyde. Why not sign some o line?  The jets seem to be winging it.  They have no plan they just kind of act spontaneously

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Deep2Moulds46 said:

Nate Geary said today in WGR two team sources have told him the bills had a deal in place with the colts to get to 3 and the Jets deal with them really hurt.

He also said that's why they traded Tyrod. Not sure if he meant because they knew they were getting to 3 or if the 3rd round pick from Cleveland was a part of the trade package 

Are we running with the reporting for WGR’s weekend part-time radio host?  Not saying it didn’t happen but I will wait till a legitimate journalists reports that info

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

got rid of Mo with a dead cap of 9 mil for a guy who is a very good d end and now are offering big money to suh to come in. smart decision is to keep suh. also teddy b is a terrible signing as the guy has show about as much as their young qbs.  trumaine johnson is a great signing for that secondary and that group can be nice.  They've ignored the o line and could have made the signing of crowell better...but who would be better carlos hyde or teddy b? hyde. Why not sign some o line?  The jets seem to be winging it.  They have no plan they just kind of act spontaneously

The Suh interest is a bit puzzling. 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The way this sounds though it tells me they were willing to move out of the top 10 until they didn't have to.  It could explain the Press Conference to get out in front of it and Beane's someone disappointing tone as well.  I'm hoping we can make another move but I wouldn't be surprised if we get stuck outside of the top 5.  Cleveland, IMO at 4 is our only hope.  The Giants IMO are just going to take their player at 2.  If all of this about us having a deal in place with Indy is true, then I'd trade with Tampa at 7 before picking up doing a deal with the Colts again at 6.  They screwed us and what makes it sting so much is it was with another divisional opponent.  Sure someone could jump us and offer the Colts a deal and take a QB but I'd say F it.  I'm not doing business with these guys again.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

The way this sounds though it tells me they were willing to move out of the top 10 until they didn't have to.  It could explain the Press Conference to get out in front of it and Beane's someone disappointing tone as well.  I'm hoping we can make another move but I wouldn't be surprised if we get stuck outside of the top 5.  Cleveland, IMO at 4 is our only hope.  The Giants IMO are just going to take their player at 2.  If all of this about us having a deal in place with Indy is true, then I'd trade with Tampa at 7 before picking up doing a deal with the Colts again at 6.  They screwed us and what makes it sting so much is it was with another divisional opponent.  Sure someone could jump us and offer the Colts a deal and take a QB but I'd say F it.  I'm not doing business with these guys again.

Who knows. They had been talking to the Jets for quite a while. 

22 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

or did buffalo randomly pick 12 and just assumed 12 and extra picks would be good enough for Indy?  Because if true then Beane is naive and green.

Regardless of where we go from here the Glenn trade is a good move up. It stands on it's own as a good trade.

• Like (+1) 4