McBeane Goals for 2018

With all the talk of the draft, I'm curious where everyone thinks the strategy is for the team over the next season and beyond.

Personally, I think McBeane realizes that they bought some serious time by breaking the curse last year. I'd definitely agree that even if they had a completely putrid season, their jobs would be stone cold locks for 2019. Last year the goal was to be competitive and start to figure out who they could build around and who they couldn't. Making the playoffs was an icing on the cake I don't think any of them saw coming.

This year I think it's going to be a lot of the same, with the difference being that the entire focus is on finding out who can be their quarterback. If someone doesn't take the job by storm, I could see all 3 of them getting a crack at some point. I think these guys realize that assuming they find a guy with some promise by the end of the year, they'll still need 1-2 more years to assemble an Eagles/Patriots/Rams/Vikings/etc quantity/quality of talent that's capable of making a legitimate push. Given our projected $100M in cap next year, I'm completely ok with that.

I think in order to compete at that level during the time frame in which it's likely to happen, we'll need to obtain some key pieces that are going to have to be tier 1 stars or at least very good players at TE, RB, DE, MLB and of course QB. The better the QB, the less pressure will exist on the rest of the team. I think inside their head playoffs are a "nice to have" this year, while finding that QB and a couple of those other pieces is the primary concern.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 3

I believe that now that they have made the playoffs in the first year, the focus becomes advancing further in the playoffs until eventually we win a SB.  If they can continue to build the roster while still making it a bit further in the playoffs each year, then this will be the criteria for success. 

• Like (+1) 1

Despite the hysterics from some of the boards ninny's, both McD and Beane's future is a certainty for the next 2 seasons, unless somehow there is a full blown mutiny from the team, which judging from the players view of McD that would be highly unlikely.  They respect the man and have totally bought into the "process".   

Beane has stated his main job is to find the team a franchise QB, I suspect he will do everything he REASONABLY can to address that this year.   

I honestly could care less about the curse, I'm more concerned with adding talent and a QB and making a real playoff push. I like McCarron a lot but I want competition at the QB position with blue chip talent. 

The question i ask myself is which rookie QB in the 2018 draft has a shot at beating out McCarron for the starting job. I think only 3 QB's from this draft have a chance to beat out McCarron for the starting job, 1. Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen. 

Step 1 find your QB

Step 2 protect your QB 

Step 3 get your QB offensive weapons

Step 4 pay four key players at each level of the defense DE, LB, CB and FS and fill in the rest of the defense with mid level FA and draft picks and let McD and Frazier coach them up.

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

Despite the hysterics from some of the boards ninny's, both McD and Beane's future is a certainty for the next 2 seasons, unless somehow there is a full blown mutiny from the team, which judging from the players view of McD that would be highly unlikely.  They respect the man and have totally bought into the "process".   

Beane has stated his main job is to find the team a franchise QB, I suspect he will do everything he REASONABLY can to address that this year.   

Exactly.  Until the QB situation is finalized (one way or the other) everything will remain in flux.

With the exception of Star and Trent almost all of FA has been short term patches that Beane will hope a few hit.

No one knows what picks the Bill's will have this year so nothing can be locked down.

As it is the Holes that need filling (in some sort of priority) are:

QB

ILB - FA priority?

CB-3rd (Nickel)

WR

OT-Swing (RT-Start / LT Back Up)

DE

G/C

IMO if we move up for QB there is no room to pick RB, TE, OLB, S, DT

Good post. I think they are two directions they are heading based off what they can or cannot do in the draft. Either way they want to create a roster that can be a contender year in year out it just comes down to one of these two things:

1. They can trade up to #2 so they can grab Rosen who it seems is their eye (I could be wrong). From there I think they are willing to take their lumps because like you said they made the playoffs so the pressure is back. They have upwards of 90 million in cap space in 2019 so let the rookie get through a year and build like hell around him with that cap space. From there 2019 hopefully is the big year where you are going for the division crown and hopefully just maybe one of Brady and BB might be gone. This is my preferred scenario because once you have the QB you have the plan set and the cap space to be aggressive in the correct way long term.

2. They cannot move up in the draft due to unwillingness of teams to move out so they build the roster instead and grab perhaps a guy like Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lualetta, Mike White etc.. by moving back into the first or early 2nd round. This is similar to what Minnesota did where they added a ton of talent all over and drafted a guy like Teddy B late and just hoped he didn't wreck the ship without much pressure. For example adding 1st rnd: LB Tremaine Edwards VA Tech, C James Daniel Iowa, QB Mason Rudolph (trade up) 2nd Rnd: WR James Washington 3rd: RB Nick Chubb UGA, & OL Orlando Brown OKL (for example I used a mock draft engine not saying this is who I want either) would be the potential of 2-3 starters plus good depth guys for this season. The team potentially could compete better then the one above with Rosen given the holes filled for the upcoming season but the QB would be a far greater question mark then with Rosen who you know would be your lock long term for better or worse.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Beane's Goals:

Win Championships

Fornacate with females 

Get ?

22 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I thought it was 

crush his enemies

see them driven before him

hear the lamentation of their women

I thought it was

first you get the money

then you get the power

THEN you get the weeemon

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Personally, I think McBeane realizes that they bought some serious time by breaking the curse last year. I'd definitely agree that even if they had a completely putrid season, their jobs would be stone cold locks for 2019. Last year the goal was to be competitive and start to figure out who they could build around and who they couldn't. Making the playoffs was an icing on the cake I don't think any of them saw coming.

Who are you agreeing with?   You were the first person to post.   Do you have split personalities?  Are you agreeing with yourself?

I think inside their head playoffs are a "nice to have" this year, while finding that QB and a couple of those other pieces is the primary concern.

If their goal for the upcoming season isn't to win the Superbowl, then fire them now and hire someone who is going to try to win the Superbowl.

I don't buy into the mindset of "waiting till your team is better" to try to win a Superbowl.   Total nonsense and total B.S.  You play to win every game regardless of what players you have on the team.

The mindset you are portraying here is that of a person who thinks losing is acceptable.   It's only acceptable when you have exhausted every resource and left every ounce of effort on the field.   If that wasn't good enough, so be it.  It certainly is not acceptable heading into a season before you have even played a game.

Finding a QB this year isn't good enough.   Not finding a QB is unacceptable and will get them fired in a couple years.

• Like (+1) 2

....I'd bet he is currently working with 2018 AND 2019 windows.........some of my speculative opinions are that he created more latitude by widening the gap between picks, 12 and 22, versus 21 and 22.....back to back leaves him 15 minutes on the clock to deal...for now, he stays put at 12 and 22, as things unfold (doubt he intends to move up).....he has Plans A and 1-A for QB's on his radar at 12...if one or both are available, he choses...if not, he may go OL/DL or DL/OL (maybe LB?) depending on preference and looks to 22 for his QB Plan B, perhaps the Rudolph guy........if his guy(s) are gone at 12 and his Board has no one else valued at 12, he may trade it for a late 1st and a 2nd, but still takes Rudolph (some advocate Jackson)...... he could still go OL/DL or DL/OL with the 1sts, gamble that Rudolph is there in the 2nd (IF that is his eventual guy) OR look QB later in the 2nd+ for Falk, Lauletta, White, etc....his 2019 window is probably looking at potential draftees as well as UFA's in a year when he'll have $85+ mil in FA dollars to spend...other than Star contract, he hasn't done much long term with FA dollars which could be a bigger year for REASONABLE signings......just don't see him as a major investor of draft capital in ONE player and he certainly has not been a major investor in FA capital in ONE player (Star possible exception)....probably a DEAD WRONG read, but I don't see McBeane/McD/McDaboll in the same discussion as "Ditka whole draft for Ricky", "Boy Danny Snyder's King's Ransom for RG II 5/8" or "Vikes Boatload For Herschel"......but what the hell do I know?...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Who are you agreeing with?   You were the first person to post.   Do you have split personalities?  Are you agreeing with yourself?

If their goal for the upcoming season isn't to win the Superbowl, then fire them now and hire someone who is going to try to win the Superbowl.

I don't buy into the mindset of "waiting till your team is better" to try to win a Superbowl.   Total nonsense and total B.S.  You play to win every game regardless of what players you have on the team.

The mindset you are portraying here is that of a person who thinks losing is acceptable.   It's only acceptable when you have exhausted every resource and left every ounce of effort on the field.   If that wasn't good enough, so be it.  It certainly is not acceptable heading into a season before you have even played a game.

Finding a QB this year isn't good enough.   Not finding a QB is unacceptable and will get them fired in a couple years.

I take it reading comprehension is not your strong suit? I'm agreeing with their hypothetical assessment that they've bought some time. If you honestly think that every manager is trying to shoot the moon with every staff they have at all times, I'd love to know what else is in that head. They'll say they're trying to win a championship, but that's cliche nonsense. A rookie QB has never done it, and this team has a lot that needs to improve to compete with the modern NFL where every championship team is built like the yankees of old. Losing is acceptable when winning isn't the goal.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I'd bet he is currently working with 2018 AND 2019 windows.........some of my speculative opinions are that he created more latitude by widening the gap between picks, 12 and 22, versus 21 and 22.....back to back leaves him 15 minutes on the clock to deal...for now, he stays put at 12 and 22, as things unfold (doubt he intends to move up).....he has Plans A and 1-A for QB's on his radar at 12...if one or both are available, he choses...if not, he may go OL/DL or DL/OL (maybe LB?) depending on preference and looks to 22 for his QB Plan B, perhaps the Rudolph guy........if his guy(s) are gone at 12 and his Board has no one else valued at 12, he may trade it for a late 1st and a 2nd, but still takes Rudolph (some advocate Jackson)...... he could still go OL/DL or DL/OL with the 1sts, gamble that Rudolph is there in the 2nd (IF that is his eventual guy) OR look QB later in the 2nd+ for Falk, Lauletta, White, etc....his 2019 window is probably looking at potential draftees as well as UFA's in a year when he'll have $85+ mil in FA dollars to spend...other than Star contract, he hasn't done much long term with FA dollars which could be a bigger year for REASONABLE signings......just don't see him as a major investor of draft capital in ONE player and he certainly has not been a major investor in FA capital in ONE player (Star possible exception)....probably a DEAD WRONG read, but I don't see McBeane/McD/McDaboll in the same discussion as "Ditka whole draft for Ricky", "Boy Danny Snyder's King's Ransom for RG II 5/8" or "Vikes Boatload For Herschel"......but what the hell do I know?...........

I tend to agree with this, though I think if Rudolph is there at #22 he has to take him. I'd rather they do that then sell the farm for their 3rd choice, or Allen at any pick. I think we're looking at the beginning of a 2-3 year plan, which is a world in which Hughes, McCoy, Williams, Incognito, and maybe Benjamin are no longer here.

Does anyone honestly think McDermott or Beane are worried about what they need to do to keep their job? That’s a total loser mentality.

They want to win. They expect to win.  Competitive self respecting alpha males aren’t sitting around trying to figure out how much losing they can get away with.... 

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

With all the talk of the draft, I'm curious where everyone thinks the strategy is for the team over the next season and beyond.

This year I think it's going to be a lot of the same, with the difference being that the entire focus is on finding out who can be their quarterback. If someone doesn't take the job by storm, I could see all 3 of them getting a crack at some point. I think these guys realize that assuming they find a guy with some promise by the end of the year, they'll still need 1-2 more years to assemble an Eagles/Patriots/Rams/Vikings/etc quantity/quality of talent that's capable of making a legitimate push. Given our projected $100M in cap next year, I'm completely ok with that.

I think in order to compete at that level during the time frame in which it's likely to happen, we'll need to obtain some key pieces that are going to have to be tier 1 stars or at least very good players at TE, RB, DE, MLB and of course QB. The better the QB, the less pressure will exist on the rest of the team. I think inside their head playoffs are a "nice to have" this year, while finding that QB and a couple of those other pieces is the primary concern.

I think he wants stability in every area,which means depth.

Hey 1st year we got a wild card birth so  IMO I think they are locked in for 2018 and 2019 now but after that it could be the end for them or it could be the next step. IMO the QB will either make or break them and this draft will define those two years end result.

Since it is looking more and more like they will be drafting a big project QB to sit around with the other big project I think if they don't hit another wild card in 2018 it will make 2019 a Chan G type ending. The 2019 draft has nothing for QBs that the Bills will be able to get let alone want. No team is going to get rid of any QB worth thinking they are franchise worthy so 2019 will be real tough for them since either they go all in on one of the 2 later round projects on the bench or stay with McC. If McC plays like Cinci's backup still IMO fans will be ready to move on to a new staff for 2020 that will hold QB in a higher regard.( We all expected this staff to hold QB in a higher regard and so far we had Rex QB and a late rounder year one and now we have another backup QB, late round Peterman and more then likely another late round QB) IMO this draft will either buy them time or will make that 2019 season very tough for them to get over the 3 year hump. Without this staff getting a real good talent at QB this year IMO will make them go down the drain pretty fast.

IMO fans are sick of always using other teams backups as starters so the leash they are on will end up a short one fast. That could be fixed with drafting a top talent at QB this year that can give them new life in 2019 and another 3 seasons but sadly at pick 12 it is looking like they will be drafting a much later QB like Peterman and that's dangerous Chan G area of thinking a backup QB can do enough IMO . Sure they got lucky with a backup like Tyrod year one but let's not forget without Dalton we would have never got that wild card and year one would have been the same old type of playoffless season.

IMO fans will know this staffs fate as soon as round one is done, to QB or not to QB is the question that will give most of the answers what 2019 will be IMO.

#1 goal should be for 2018, get one of the top QBs because without one ready for 2019 this staff could be dead man walking.

Edited by xRUSHx

9 hours ago, Magox said:

Agreed. With the proviso that something that might be unreasonable another year would be quite reasonable this year when you have a lot of picks and a lot of good QBs in the draft. He might have to spend more than we would like. He should still do it. There should be a limit. The limit should be quite a bit higher than most here think.

As for the OP, I don't think he has goals for this year. I think his goals are long-term, that that's what the process means. You consistently work as hard as you can towards the long-term goals, understanding there'll be bumps, bruises, regressions, advances, disappointment and achievement. You don't worry about any of them too much. You just keep advancing towards those goals..

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, corta765 said:

Good post. I think they are two directions they are heading based off what they can or cannot do in the draft. Either way they want to create a roster that can be a contender year in year out it just comes down to one of these two things:

1. They can trade up to #2 so they can grab Rosen who it seems is their eye (I could be wrong). From there I think they are willing to take their lumps because like you said they made the playoffs so the pressure is back. They have upwards of 90 million in cap space in 2019 so let the rookie get through a year and build like hell around him with that cap space. From there 2019 hopefully is the big year where you are going for the division crown and hopefully just maybe one of Brady and BB might be gone. This is my preferred scenario because once you have the QB you have the plan set and the cap space to be aggressive in the correct way long term.

2. They cannot move up in the draft due to unwillingness of teams to move out so they build the roster instead and grab perhaps a guy like Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lualetta, Mike White etc.. by moving back into the first or early 2nd round. This is similar to what Minnesota did where they added a ton of talent all over and drafted a guy like Teddy B late and just hoped he didn't wreck the ship without much pressure. For example adding 1st rnd: LB Tremaine Edwards VA Tech, C James Daniel Iowa, QB Mason Rudolph (trade up) 2nd Rnd: WR James Washington 3rd: RB Nick Chubb UGA, & OL Orlando Brown OKL (for example I used a mock draft engine not saying this is who I want either) would be the potential of 2-3 starters plus good depth guys for this season. The team potentially could compete better then the one above with Rosen given the holes filled for the upcoming season but the QB would be a far greater question mark then with Rosen who you know would be your lock long term for better or worse.

If they can't move up in the draft, maybe they settle for Rudolph or Jackson or Lauletta or someone like that.

My bet, though is that if they can't move up then they trade one of their firsts back for a first next year. And maybe they trade a 2nd for a 2nd next year too. They prepare themselves to try to get a great QB next year rather than settle for a lesser one this year.

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Why? We made the playoffs this year with no talent at QB.

And with a very easy schedule where even the good teams were mired in slumps when they played us and even with all that luck we only managed 9-7.

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I take it reading comprehension is not your strong suit? I'm agreeing with their hypothetical assessment that they've bought some time. 

The first part was a joke due to your poor English.  Don't get so mad bro.

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

If you honestly think that every manager is trying to shoot the moon with every staff they have at all times, I'd love to know what else is in that head. 

You're saying that.   I never said it.   That's homo talk.  The staffs are mostly dudes.   Get your mind out of the gutter.  You think these managers just want to drop their pants and throw ass glances at the rest of their staff?   Weird man.   Just weird.   Not that there is anything wrong with that.

12 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

A rookie QB has never done it, and this team has a lot that needs to improve to compete with the modern NFL where every championship team is built like the yankees of old. Losing is acceptable when winning isn't the goal.

Just because a rookie has never won a Superbowl doesn't mean there won't be a first time and it doesn't mean you give up trying and go into the season with the assumption that you can't win it all.   How incredibly lame.

If winning isn't the goal and winning a Superbowl every year isn't the goal, why even play the game.  

Why even watch the games?

I get it.  As a Bills fan you are used to losing and have been beaten to submission over the years where you just want to throw the towel in earlier and earlier every year.   This year for you, you're throwing in the towel even before the draft.    Yikes.

The Bills were good before and can be again.    There is no reason why they can't be this year.   Beane, McDermott and his entire coaching staff know this.    The existing players on the team know this.   And I bet, as of right now,  they intend to win every single game this year - one at a time.    If Beane or McDermott possessed the attitude you are assuming they do, I doubt they ever would have risen as high as they already have in their careers.   They would have been weeded out of the NFL by now.   

I feel sorry for your defeatist outlook this early in the year.    Pet a dog today.  It's national puppy day.   You'll feel better.

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Why? We made the playoffs this year with no talent at QB.

Thanks to Dalton and a few other teams because without that the wild card would have never happened on our record alone.

It took decades for that miracle of the stars to line up perfectly once, I don't want to wait another 2 decades for a wild card to happen once. I want my team to have a dynasty of domination not the garbage of the past since Kelly wishing for that one miracle season of a wild card birth to happen with a backup QB as the starter. Sadly that no talent at QB gave us even less in that game, sorry not sorry I want more and a real talent at QB is what good teams have when every year playoff runs happen. 

Edited by xRUSHx

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Does anyone honestly think McDermott or Beane are worried about what they need to do to keep their job? That’s a total loser mentality.

They want to win. They expect to win.  Competitive self respecting alpha males aren’t sitting around trying to figure out how much losing they can get away with.... 

No worries this year.   

Not after what they accomplished in 17 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No worries this year.   

Worries will start in 19 when all they have to fall back on at QB is Peterman and some other late rounder like White.

What did they really accomplish a lucky wild card? Luck happens every once in a while, relying on luck will get one fired.

Until a QB is found does that one wild card game really matter. Color me very  little inpressed. IMO this draft is the holy grail of a late rounder QB luck or a top 1st rounder making his first season start in 19.

IMO 2019 is either fans giving this staff a free season because of rookie first season or fans shaking there heads as to why all we have is late rounder QBs still on the roster.

Edited by xRUSHx

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

And with a very easy schedule where even the good teams were mired in slumps when they played us and even with all that luck we only managed 9-7.

BS.  We made it.  Deal with it.

Go BILLS !!

3 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Thanks to Dalton and a few other teams because without that the wild card would have never happened on our record alone. It took decades for that miracle of the stars to line up perfectly once, I don't want to wait another 2 decades for a wild card to happy once. I want my team to have a dynasty of domination not the garbage of the past since Kelly wishing for that one miracle season of a wild card birth to happen with a backup QB as the starter. Sadly that no talent at QB gave us even less in that game, sorry not sorry I want more and a real talent at QB is what good teams have when every year playoff runs happen. 

We made the playoffs because we were better than 10 other teams in the AFC even with Hotrod at QB.  Deal with it.

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

BS.  We made it.  Deal with it.

Go BILLS !!

We made the playoffs because we were better than 10 other teams in the AFC even with Hotrod at QB.  Deal with it.

Tyrod is a backup and stinks. He is on a different team, deal with it. HotRod played more like timidrod.

We made the playoffs because of AD, deal with it because it's the truth and you know it.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

Tyrod is a backup and stinks. He is on a different team, deal with it. HotRod played more like timidrod.

We made the playoffs because of AD, deal with it because it's the truth and you know it.

Actually Hotord is the starter according to he new HC and the 2 he had before that.  But keep telling yourself he's not if it makes you feel better.

We made the playoffs because  by the rules of the NFL known to all teams before the season started, we were better than 10 other teams in the AFC.  Top 6 get in every year. Look it up.

We made the playoffs because of a TEAM EFFORT.  And we're gonna do it again this year!  

Go BILLS !!!

Edited by reddogblitz

9 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Actually Hotord is the starter according to he new HC and the 2 he had before that.  But keep telling yourself he's not if it makes you feel better.

We made the playoffs because of a TEAM EFFORT.  And we're gonna do it again this year!  

Go BILLS !!!

Buffalo has a better chance at a playoff run without having timidrod on our team that's for sure. Cleveland is blind, IMO Darnold will take his job by midseason when fans see what Tyrod really is, just make him a QB and fail every staff. Tyrod will have problems getting a backup job after his fail in Cleveland.

Only thing Tyrod is good at is holding a towel on his head and getting OCs fired.

Edited by xRUSHx

38 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We made the playoffs because  by the rules of the NFL known to all teams before the season started, we were better than 10 other teams in the AFC.  Top 6 get in every year. Look it up.

Go BILLS !!!

I'm as happy as anyone we made the playoffs, but it wasnt because we were "the better team", it's because according to the rules, we were finally mathematically lucky. Last year's team wasnt even the best of the drought teams. It wasnt our first 9-7 season. It was merely the first time we did just enough, and other teams played out the right way, for us to back in.

Again, not trying to take anything away, rain on parades, or anything like that. But we weren't the better team. Heck, we LOST to the Bengals who helped back us in and didnt even make it themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No worries this year.   

Thats not my point. If these guys are deciding what to do or not do based on the likelihood they will be fired, they just need to be fired. 

Winners don’t worry about how to avoid losing- They are busy looking forward determining how to keep building and get better. 

If they get it wrong and suffer a consequence, so be it. 

McDermott isn’t some wuss cowering in the corner trying to prolong his tenure... and if he was I’d want him out immediately 

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm as happy as anyone we made the playoffs, but it wasnt because we were "the better team", it's because according to the rules, we were finally mathematically lucky. Last year's team wasnt even the best of the drought teams. It wasnt our first 9-7 season. It was merely the first time we did just enough, and other teams played out the right way, for us to back in.

Again, not trying to take anything away, rain on parades, or anything like that. But we weren't the better team. Heck, we LOST to the Bengals who helped back us in and didnt even make it themselves.

Agree to disagree. By definition, playoff teams are BETTER than non playoff teams (if the non playoff teams were better, why didn't the make it and us not?)

Bills had  great season compared to the last 17. Why can't we just be happy about it and proud of our team and look to brighter days ahead?

It's really not necessary when the Bills do something good to find a yeah butt.

I'll go with the NFL that we were better this year than 10 other teams in AFC.  You go with wherever you got that from that we aren't.

8 hours ago, PolishDave said:

The first part was a joke due to your poor English.  Don't get so mad bro.

You're saying that.   I never said it.   That's homo talk.  The staffs are mostly dudes.   Get your mind out of the gutter.  You think these managers just want to drop their pants and throw ass glances at the rest of their staff?   Weird man.   Just weird.   Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Just because a rookie has never won a Superbowl doesn't mean there won't be a first time and it doesn't mean you give up trying and go into the season with the assumption that you can't win it all.   How incredibly lame.

If winning isn't the goal and winning a Superbowl every year isn't the goal, why even play the game.  

Why even watch the games?

I get it.  As a Bills fan you are used to losing and have been beaten to submission over the years where you just want to throw the towel in earlier and earlier every year.   This year for you, you're throwing in the towel even before the draft.    Yikes.

The Bills were good before and can be again.    There is no reason why they can't be this year.   Beane, McDermott and his entire coaching staff know this.    The existing players on the team know this.   And I bet, as of right now,  they intend to win every single game this year - one at a time.    If Beane or McDermott possessed the attitude you are assuming they do, I doubt they ever would have risen as high as they already have in their careers.   They would have been weeded out of the NFL by now.   

I feel sorry for your defeatist outlook this early in the year.    Pet a dog today.  It's national puppy day.   You'll feel better.

Looks like my assumption was correct. You incorrectly parsed the most simple and straightforward of messages, and added a little bit of non-sequiter homophobia for added flair. Well done.

0/10. Try again.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Thats not my point. If these guys are deciding what to do or not do based on the likelihood they will be fired, they just need to be fired. 

Winners don’t worry about how to avoid losing- They are busy looking forward determining how to keep building and get better. 

If they get it wrong and suffer a consequence, so be it. 

McDermott isn’t some wuss cowering in the corner trying to prolong his tenure... and if he was I’d want him out immediately 

You understand that in order to see your vision through to completion you have to have time though, right?

He had to right the ship to prove to the players, staff, and management what they're capable of. He also had to assess what he had.

Now they'll look at replacing the beams and braces.

Looks like my assumption was correct. You incorrectly parsed the most simple and straightforward of messages, and added a little bit of non-sequiter homophobia for added flair. Well done.

0/10. Try again.

You understand that in order to see your vision through to completion you have to have time though, right?

He had to right the ship to prove to the players, staff, and management what they're capable of. He also had to assess what he had.

Now they'll look at replacing the beams and braces.

Winners are getting better every single day, or at least attempting to.  Everything they do they think made them better. It permiates in everything they do.

Winners never suggest that their last win or winning season for that matter, gives them an opportunity to ease off. 

It won't always work, but I guarantee they expect to earn the right to compete for the championship next year. And I wouldn’t want it any other way.