Fiction - Taylor made Oline look better

Hebert19

I've read people make this statement a few times in different posts and thought it deserved a thread.  First off this is B.S. in my opinion.  I think he made the line lool worse.  Why you ask?

1.  Since 2016 Taylor has had the highest time to throw in NFL.  Meaning he holds the ball the longest.  

2.  He almost never throws the ball at the top of his dropback.  He never anticipates the throw and rarely throws based on timing.   Instead he waits for people to get open causing dline to get pressure and fans who don't understand things say wow...he saved a sack there but instead if the ball came out on time there would be no pressure at all. 

3.  Taylor's footwork was/is terrible.  Instead of stepping up in the pocket (which was solid due to wood and Ritchie most of the time) he moved into where the defense was a lot. 

For these reasons a QB who can throw with anticipation and has better mobility within the pocket will make the oline look much better.  

Discuss.  :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I think its both. There were plenty of times where a simple climb would have avoided sack/pressure/negative outcome. 

I think plenty of times he evaded a sack that would have been caused by poor blocking. 

I agree. For all the sack he ran into, he also made inhuman athletic plays to escape sacks as well. Lets hope our new QB can compensate for what he lacks in escapeability with getting the ball out on time. 

Can we discuss the o line without Tyrod being involved? Lol.

The talking/arguing has finally stopped and it’s been beautiful.

Just talking about the o line, I think the Bills need to address RT and especially a guard in the draft.

I still think o line is a bit of a weakness for them and they need to improve at a few spots.

Two things :

Use the past tense, he is no longer here.

I think that loop de loop footwork he constantly did was actually pretty tricky?

Otherwise, I agree with you 1000 percent.

Was a bum, is a bum, always will be a bum!!!

9 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I've read people make this statement a few times in different posts and thought it deserved a thread.  First off this is B.S. in my opinion. 

Who are you...Donald Trump?    ("A lot of people say...")

I've never heard anyone say TT made the line look better.    If someone did, it is not a widely-shared POV IMO...

13 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I've read people make this statement a few times in different posts and thought it deserved a thread.  First off this is B.S. in my opinion.  I think he made the line lool worse.  Why you ask?

1.  Since 2016 Taylor has had the highest time to throw in NFL.  Meaning he holds the ball the longest.  

2.  He almost never throws the ball at the top of his dropback.  He never anticipates the throw and rarely throws based on timing.   Instead he waits for people to get open causing dline to get pressure and fans who don't understand things say wow...he saved a sack there but instead if the ball came out on time there would be no pressure at all. 

3.  Taylor's footwork was/is terrible.  Instead of stepping up in the pocket (which was solid due to wood and Ritchie most of the time) he moved into where the defense was a lot. 

For these reasons a QB who can throw with anticipation and has better mobility within the pocket will make the oline look much better.  

Discuss.  :)

What about when Peterman was in there?

I would venture to say that Tyrod made more plays where a guy got beat than sacks he took for holding the ball too long. That was his game and always will be though. It’s the same thing that Ben and Russell Wilson try to do. They try to keep plays alive as long as they can. There are a ton of plays that Tyrod made when someone else would have thrown it away or taken a sack. It is hard to quantify without re-watching every play but that’s the intuitive sense I get. I am confident that there are more of those situations than sacks that he took that others wouldn’t have (and I’ll bet it is close to 2:1). 

The other thing is that he often required a spy  allowing more space to work for the RBs and one less guy on the receivers. These are subtle advantages that never get mentioned but will change (unless Lamar is the guy). 

• Like (+1) 1

Review the tape of the game versus the LA Chargers.

Then note that the Chargers D didn't have 150 sacks or force 800 pressures and 160 turnovers last season.

Teams approach rushing the passer differently when they know the QB can gash them for huge plays with his feet.

If the NFL didn't know........they found out in that Titans game in 2015........and once teams saw him win that game with his feet he never really saw an all-out pass rush again.

The team that's thanking the stars for TT being out of the division is Miami.........they built this pass rushing DL and Taylor rendered it pretty pointless in their games.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, slaphappy said:

Matt Stafford and Brissett are the only 2 QB's who got sacked more than Tyrod..how good was he making the line look? 

Very. Also Tyrod ran out of bounds behind the line a lot which is also counted as a sack.