Fiction - Taylor made Oline look better

Hebert19

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well if you watch football instead of read stat boxes you will see a different story.  Ask Peterman about his 5 INTs in one half because he couldn't handle the pressure from the D ;)

As long as we're watching football and not reading stat boxes...are you really giving all 5 of those picks to Peterman?

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well if you watch football instead of read stat boxes you will see a different story.  Ask Peterman about his 5 INTs in one half because he couldn't handle the pressure from the D ;)

When your WRs can't get separation a defense like San Diego can put 8 in the box and send more bodies than there are blockers.  You have to make them respect your passing game.  I believe at least two of those interceptions were the fault of the WRs/ RBs.  Of course, it didn't help that our # 1 and # 2 WRs were out of the game after the first series.  The OL was probably at least partially responsible for not being able to contain the pressure on two of those interceptions.  

I don't see AJ as being much better than Peterman.  Lets hope he can throw on the run because the OL and the WRs as of today are even less than last year.

Edited by richardb1952

Taylor slowed down the rush with his feet.  Players couldnt pin their ears back because he could escape the pocket.  So they slow played the rush.  There is a term for this, muddle rush maybe? I'm having a brain fart with the term. 

If you want to see what our OL looked like when that threat was removed, look at the SD game.  Peterman was hit on a 3 step drop and threw an INT.  That's like, impossible. 

2 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

What about when Peterman was in there?

Exactly. The line looked god awful when Nate was playing, as the right side was a clear problem all year. If the poster is expecting noticeable improvement with AJ, he will be sadly dissapointed.

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

I fully expect a step back for the Bills this season, but it will be a sacrifice for huge strides in the future.

Yup. Its not unreasonable to expect a bettter record from the Browns.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Two things :

Use the past tense, he is no longer here.

I think that loop de loop footwork he constantly did was actually pretty tricky?

Otherwise, I agree with you 1000 percent.

Was a bum, is a bum, always will be a bum!!!

That bum helped our team get to the playoffs #justsaying

59 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

As long as we're watching football and not reading stat boxes...are you really giving all 5 of those picks to Peterman?

Not the first one, but the next 4 are not only on him, but terrible throws with him unprepared to deal with the pressure for the D.  Again, the OL was manhandled because they did not fear NP.  The OL is not good.

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

If like to include the wr discussion but we had same issue when we had Sammy, woods and Goodwin.. .how did they make out without tyrod. 

I'm not sure how to respond. 

Goodwin clearly had a break out season. I think Watkins and Wood were stellar for the Rams. Conversely without good WR play, you can clearly make the argument that 2017 was clearly a step down for Tyrod. 

Am I missing something here Hebert? It seems as if you are making my argument for me.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I fully expect a step back for the Bills this season, but it will be a sacrifice for huge strides in the future.

until I see a set roster going in to the season. there is no way I can say they step back anymore then I can say they better 9 wins?

I don't think anybody can with any certainty make such a prediction at this point.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

If like to include the wr discussion but we had same issue when we had Sammy, woods and Goodwin.. .how did they make out without tyrod. 

Tyrod's stats in the 15 games when he had Watkins and Woods on the field : 63.6% comp. 8.25 Ypa. 27 TD passes. 6 Ints

Next question?

4 hours ago, major said:

That bum helped our team get to the playoffs #justsaying

Would rather have a higher draft pick than suffer through that Dreck some called Quarterback play only to lose in the Wildcard which was utterly predictable.....yawn.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Would rather have a higher draft pick than suffer through that Dreck some called Quarterback play only to lose in the Wildcard which was utterly predictable.....yawn.

So you would rather us still be in a playoff drought?? 

11 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

I've read people make this statement a few times in different posts and thought it deserved a thread.  First off this is B.S. in my opinion.  I think he made the line lool worse.  Why you ask?

1.  Since 2016 Taylor has had the highest time to throw in NFL.  Meaning he holds the ball the longest.  

2.  He almost never throws the ball at the top of his dropback.  He never anticipates the throw and rarely throws based on timing.   Instead he waits for people to get open causing dline to get pressure and fans who don't understand things say wow...he saved a sack there but instead if the ball came out on time there would be no pressure at all. 

3.  Taylor's footwork was/is terrible.  Instead of stepping up in the pocket (which was solid due to wood and Ritchie most of the time) he moved into where the defense was a lot. 

For these reasons a QB who can throw with anticipation and has better mobility within the pocket will make the oline look much better.  

Discuss.  :)

He doesn't play on the team anymore! 

Let it go! 

Let it go! 

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You’ve got this wrong.

We changed blocking schemes from a zone to more power like we had with Roman/Lynn.

Taylor stayed in the pocket all year.

Of all the rookies you want to start, you pick the one of the 1st rounders who is the least pro ready?

i also didn’t say we would never punt this year or alluded to it in any way.

Jackson could get them out of a lot of breakdowns with his feet. This is why I'm for Jackson or Foles. I could see Mayfield for the same reason. If they take Allen or Rosen or Darnold I hope they never see the field.

Why in the world are we still talking about a guy who is no longer on the team?  I mean, really!  And on top of that, why not just look forward and appreciate the fact the former Bill always put his team first, conducted himself very professionally on and off the field and never, ever did he tarnish the image of the franchise.  He wasn't the long term answer (obviously) and I'm looking forward to the draft to see who we pick.  But to continue to bash the QB who was part of the first Bills team to make the playoffs since forever, it says more about those fans than it does about him.  Grow up people and look to the future, not the past.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, grb said:

Tyrod's stats in the 15 games when he had Watkins and Woods on the field : 63.6% comp. 8.25 Ypa. 27 TD passes. 6 Ints

Next question?

Why couldn’t he beat Sam Bradford ?    Why did the Redskins defense shut him out for a half of football ?     Why did he stop throwing to Sammy in the chiefs game ? 

Because he sucks.     The Browns are his destiny.  

I agree with you OP that Tyrod didn't anticipate well and held the ball too long, but Wood was not a help at all. He was, for the last several years of his NFL career, one of the worst starting centers in the league. Having a QB that reads defenses quickly and anticipates receivers coming open will reduce our sacks considerably. Again, I remember how many sacks Rob Johnson used to take, but when Flutie was in, he hardly ever took sacks.

20 hours ago, grb said:

Next question?

Yay, here it is again. Being as irrelevant as usual.

Nick Foles, who is better than Tyrod had 64% comp, 9.1 ypa, 27 TDs and 2 ints, in 10 starts in 2013 and has been a backup ever since. 

Your point? That Tyrod is a backup?

2 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

Yay, here it is again. Being as irrelevant as usual.

Nick Foles, who is better than Tyrod had 64% comp, 9.1 ypa, 27 TDs and 2 ints, in 10 starts in 2013 and has been a backup ever since. 

Your point? That Tyrod is a backup?

Ya know, Taylor is gone, but still he manages to inspire the colossal stupid of comments like this. Lets start with the simplest stuff : First, Foles' epic 2013 season did not result in him being "a backup ever since". He started the following year in Philadelphia, and the year after that in Los Angles. Second, Foles' epic 2013 season has only been bettered twice in the past twenty years by NFL passer rating, once by Aaron Rogers, once by Peyton Manning. And that's the yardstick you aim to measure Taylor by, huh? Why should anyone take you seriously? Finally, you ignore the obvious thing of all : Someone said Taylor didn't utilize Watkins and Woods. I provided evidence he did. God only knows what relevance Nick's 2013 season has to that. Perhaps you'll explain. Good luck trying.

To return to Planet Earth, let's take Taylor's numbers those (15) games the Bills put two NFL grade receivers on the field with him, and compare to the recently concluded (16) game regular season. Now is this apples to apples? No; because other QBs had critical support players missing too. But given it's nowhere near as ludicrous a comparison as yours, why not?

• 63.6% Completion Rate : Only thirteenth, I'm afraid, in front of Dak Prescott
  • 8.25 Yards per Attempt : First in the NFL, in front of Drew Brees
  • 27 Touchdown Passes : Eighth in the NFL, a tie with Kirk Cousins
  • 06 Interceptions : Second in the NFL, after Alex Smith  

It appears that 2013 Nick Foles aside, Taylor performed quite well during the limited time his receivers weren't castoffs, cripples, or disappointing draft picks.

Which was my point, wasn't it?

Edited by grb