The Bills Have NOT Contacted The Browns Regarding The No. 1 Pick, Per League Source

dgr81

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What are you talking about?  Nothing?  We got SIX picks in the first three rounds, including moving up to #12.  How is that for nothing?

Do people here even pay attention to the reality of the NFL?  After FA, its QUITE possible only 2 QB's go in the top 10 unless more teams (which there aren't a lot of candidates, if any) trade up into the top 10 for a QB.

Only Cle and Jets are likely locks for a QB.  This obsession for the Bills to trade up now is outdated, they have more options.  Giants might elect to get Eli help rather than take a QB.  And Denver spent good money on Keenum to be the starter, they didn't need a bridge if they were taking a QB at #5 as they already had 2 cheaper options on their roster to fill that role.  Elway wouldnt have chewed up much needed cap space on Keenum if he was taking someone at #5 IMO.  They will look to add D, and I think it will Fitzpatrick, at #5 to try and get that team back in position to make a deep playoff run this year before their window closes further.  

People need to relax with all this freak out and obsession with the top 4, its quite possible the QB the Bills prefer is NOT Rosen or Darnold, as each team has a DIFFERENT ranking of QB's than TSW fans here.  The top 5 are all closely graded, Bills might be targeting Baker, Allen, or Lamar and will not NEED to go into the top 4 to get them.  Just because some here think its got to be either Rosen or Darnold doesn't mean thats the Bills board or any teams board.  Not every team has those 2 as the top 2 guys on their board.  

Yes its still plausible the Bills trade up, but its going to come down to whether the Bills see someone as a must get or not.  And after FA, the whole landscape of the top 10 has a new storyline.  If Bills covet a guy, which they very well could, they will make the big spend to trade up.  But the point is, there are a LOT of options now in play after FA...so its not a trade up or bust scenario anymore is all I am trying to say. 

I find it kind of Ironic/funny you chose to call people out in the above bold as you did and then follow it by the underlined.

It was there you lost me...

Its the equivalent of declaring an important proclamation and then just farting.

kinda funny though  

Edited by gobills1212

I'm pretty certain it is for pick 4. I am expecting that we are moving to 4, 5, or 6 to help NYG get their G. Also with Will Compton coming in along with Bodine & Newhouse, we are plugging holes via FA in order to move up...

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's not the situation I was replying to. Please dont "move the goalposts".

Unless I misunderstood Alpha's post, he is suggesting the Bills shouldn't/don't want to move up any further. Or at least he doesnt think they should.

I'm saying they definitely should keep going. You don't stop when you are this close.

Of course, if the Browns and Giants dont want to play ball then we are screwed. And it's a major failure by Beane to not get that #3 overall pick which was obviously up for sale.

I disagree that it is a failure to not get to 3.  

We do not know what was offered, but Indy has a say also and even if Beane offered a better overall value- in this limited draft the drop back to 6 is so much better than 12.  

We won’t know for a while what he plan or offers were, but the Bills can not force a trade - they can offer, but it takes 2 and the drop back for Indy makes sense - especially if the Bills move to 4 or 5 - the Colts could get their guy and extra picks and that was not happening if they moved to 12.

They also have a chance to move back again with Buffalo or Arizona and maybe double dip on the trade for extra picks.

So much misinformation out there, I love it. If teams reach for a QB ahead of 12, that's their problem. We stay put and we're going to get one hell of a bargain, an immediate impact player. I may have more faith in McCarron than most but I felt similarly when Tyrod was brought in.

True competition in camp brings out the best in a player at any position and for the Bills are QB it's wide open. I know that's going to be the case this preseason. You don't win 2 National Championships without that kind of internal drive to be your best. This truly is a New Era for the Bills. Happy to hold my head high and say I'm proud of this team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

I disagree that it is a failure to not get to 3.  

We do not know what was offered, but Indy has a say also and even if Beane offered a better overall value- in this limited draft the drop back to 6 is so much better than 12.  

We won’t know for a while what he plan or offers were, but the Bills can not force a trade - they can offer, but it takes 2 and the drop back for Indy makes sense - especially if the Bills move to 4 or 5 - the Colts could get their guy and extra picks and that was not happening if they moved to 12.

They also have a chance to move back again with Buffalo or Arizona and maybe double dip on the trade for extra picks.

When you have the assets the Bills currently do, not out-bidding a division rival is definitely a failure. Just like it was a failure of Donahoe's to not make that trade with the Texans work. He ended up trading away the next year's 1st anyways. Think about the value Rothlisberger would have had for this team, especially versus Losman. It would have changed history. And there were plenty of questions about Ben at that time too, being from the smaller school.

Indy was willing to play. Bills have a TON of assets, definitely more than the Jets. If nothing else happens, that pick should have been ours.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

When you have the assets the Bills currently do, not out-bidding a division rival is definitely a failure. Just like it was a failure of Donahoe's to not make that trade with the Texans work. He ended up trading away the next year's 1st anyways. Think about the value Rothlisberger would have had for this team, especially versus Losman. It would have changed history. And there were plenty of questions about Ben at that time too, being from the smaller school.

Indy was willing to play. Bills have a TON of assets, definitely more than the Jets. If nothing else happens, that pick should have been ours.

And we know that the Bills were a recognized bidder to the Colts how?  Did certain TBD board members get an exclusive invite to the auction?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I said it in another thread (no clue which one since there are a million of them on here), this FO will definitely be on the hot seat in fans eyes as a failure if they don't aggressively go after a QB. Last year, kick the can to this year, trade TT, only sign AJ, allow a division rival to upstage you - nope they will get roasted - rightfully so. Also whether they like it or not, just as the no playoffs in 17 years vs Terry's 3 years (only counting his ownership period) will not erase the failures of every administration after Polian's to secure a franchise guy.

You already see them getting hammered on twitter. Saturday they posted a Happy St Patty's day tweet and every comment was this is what you are posting? The Jets just got pick 3, you better get to 2 and not screw up QB. Almost every tweet is like that, you can safely assume those comments have been filtered back up (not that they need to listen to the fans, but the point is being made).

Can you imagine them trying to sell us Rudolph or Jackson? I can't...

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I said it in another thread (no clue which one since there are a million of them on here), this FO will definitely be on the hot seat in fans eyes as a failure if they don't aggressively go after a QB. Last year, kick the can to this year, trade TT, only sign AJ, allow a division rival to upstage you - nope they will get roasted - rightfully so. Also whether they like it or not, just as the no playoffs in 17 years vs Terry's 3 years (only counting his ownership period) will not erase the failures of every administration after Polian's to secure a franchise guy.

You already see them getting hammered on twitter. Saturday they posted a Happy St Patty's day tweet and every comment was this is what you are posting? The Jets just got pick 3, you better get to 2 and not screw up QB. Almost every tweet is like that, you can safely assume those comments have been filtered back up (not that they need to listen to the fans, but the point is being made).

I think that Terry has his guys for a while and it will take more than one draft decision to force McBeane out the door.  I actually think that Pegula has the bar set rather low for this fall given the turnover in players and OC.  The test will be for McD to get a top 10 defense and the offense to show a modest increase in production.  I seriously believe that barring disaster the current regime gets 4 years.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I was actually against trading up at first. I wanted a better FA QB pickup and to build the team up in the draft. Then the Bills went to #12 and the switched is now flipped. I'm all about #1 or #2 pick as the consolation prize for not getting me a QB I can believe in.

Edited by Lfod

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I think that Terry has his guys for a while and it will take more than one draft decision to force McBeane out the door.  I actually think that Pegula has the bar set rather low for this fall given the turnover in players and OC.  The test will be for McD to get a top 10 defense and the offense to show a modest increase in production.  I seriously believe that barring disaster the current regime gets 4 years.

By moving back last year and passing on 2 QBs for picks this year - they put a huge target on their backs this year. Granted, this is an IF,  imagine the blowback if we sit back and our guy busts and the Jets is a franchise guy? Also with the reports of us trying to move up and not doing that - ugh brutal...

Granted the reverse could be true and everyone looks like geniuses, but they put themselves in a bad spot last year and they are really under the magnifying glass now. 

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Of course it will be more than 1 draft.

But if the Bills settle for a 2nd-tier QB, and they end up playing like a 2nd-tier QB, and we go 8-8, 6-10, 6-10 the next 3 years under that QB... McBeane is gone and in the pile with the rest of them.

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

By moving back last year and passing on 2 QBs for picks this year - they put a huge target on their backs this year. Granted, this is an IF,  imagine the blowback if we sit back and our guy busts and the Jets is a franchise guy? Also with the reports of us trying to move up and not doing that - ugh brutal...

Granted the reverse could be true and everyone looks like geniuses, but they put themselves in a bad spot last year and they are really under the magnifying glass now. 

Beane was not here last year unless you subscribe to the theories that he was operating from the shadows.  

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Of course it will be more than 1 draft.

But if the Bills settle for a 2nd-tier QB, and they end up playing like a 2nd-tier QB, and we go 8-8, 6-10, 6-10 the next 3 years under that QB... McBeane is gone and in the pile with the rest of them.

Do the Bills have a 2nd-tier meter that they will use to sort all of this out with?  If I could invent one then I could make billions.  Billions, I tells ya!

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Beane was not here last year unless you subscribe to the theories that he was operating from the shadows.  

Beane was not here, but that was the entire reason McD elected to trade down and kick that can. So his GM could come in and go hard at their own QB.

If that GM doesnt go hard at a QB, then what was the point of passing on Watson?

Takes me back to what I said earlier. It was all for nothing.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Do the Bills have a 2nd-tier meter that they will use to sort all of this out with?  If I could invent one then I could make billions.  Billions, I tells ya!

It's called being a professional and qualified NFL GM and Scout. That is their job. To make gather all the info us civilians are not privy to, determine who is top tier and who isnt, and make that move.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Beane was not here, but that was the wntire reason McD elected to trade down and kick that can. So his GM could come in and go hard at their own QB.

If that GM doesnt go hard at a QB, then what was the point of passing on Watson?

Takes me back to what I said earlier. It was all for nothing.

Once again I will say that Watson has shown promise he has little in the way of hard accomplishments to this point.  The trick is to pick these guys before their NFL careers versus saying I told you so several years down the road.  Anybody can play the 20-20 game.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If they werent, then that itself is a major failure for Beane.

Not if he talked to Ballard and realized he could get to 2 for the same price. He might not have 3 guys he’s comfortable taking, like Jets apparently do. He may have never wanted to just get to 3 and was only gauging the market surrounding 2 to use in negotiations. No one has any idea.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Once again I will say that Watson has shown promise he has little in the way of hard accomplishments to this point.  The trick is to pick these guys before their careers versus saying I told you so.  Anybody can play the 20-20 game.

I dont disagree with anything youve said here. My point wasnt that Watson is so great. My point is that they purposely ignored ALL qb prospects last year until McD had his GM here.

Well guess what? McD's GM is here now. So it's time to go hard at a QB.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's not the situation I was replying to. Please dont "move the goalposts".

Unless I misunderstood Alpha's post, he is suggesting the Bills shouldn't/don't want to move up any further. Or at least he doesnt think they should.

I'm saying they definitely should keep going. You don't stop when you are this close.

Of course, if the Browns and Giants dont want to play ball then we are screwed. And it's a major failure by Beane to not get that #3 overall pick which was obviously up for sale.

They almost certainly didn't move to 12 to stop there. As for the #3 pick, the Bills didn't have much chance unless the Jets weren't willing to pony up a bevy of picks. The Colts held the Jets up, using the Bills as leverage. Why? Because there will still be movement at the top of the draft for a QB. Ballard got a bunch of picks for basically nothing. He sits at #6 with a chance to move down again and still get picks out of the Bills. If he moves to 12 right away , he isn't moving down again. A calculated, smart move by Ballard. Beane had zero control over this. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont disagree with anything youve said here. My point wasnt that Watson is so great. My point is that they purposely ignored ALL qb prospects last year until McD had his GM here.

Well guess what? McD's GM is here now. So it's time to go hard at a QB.

And you have the assets to do it this year. In years ahead, you will have to pull the same type of trade to get the assets again - the following year

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sorry....this is so dumb.  There is no possible way for Sal, Rodak, Patrick, or anyone else for that matter to know whether the 2 GMs have talked.  Unless the "source" is the GMs of the teams, and you have a wiretap on their phones, there is no way to know.  Even if you asked the GMs, you can't trust a word they say at this point.

The fact is, it would be irresponsible on both teams parts i they haven't talked, even casually, about if the pick is available and what it might take.  The teams would be doing a disservice to themselves if they don't have some idea of where they each stand on a possible trade.

And yeah.....there is no way any fan or media personnel knows who has talked to who and about what at this point unless the rooms are bugged or the phones are tapped.  This whole thing of did they or didn't they is pretty dumb if you ask me.  And if they haven't talked, then shame on both teams because that's pretty stupid to not even have a 30 second conversation to see if it was available at all.

25 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

...of course it will......didn't the 17 year period post Polian of unqualifieds forced into football positions as well as over the hill NFL guys thinking they knew the current gaame prove to be a wasteful patchwork quilt  in this club's history all because of trust versus ability?.....find the right guys and keep them...look at the Steelers model...Colbert has been GM since 2000......THREE HC's in 48 years...RESULT: SIX Lombardis.....Jesus, I only want ONE BEFORE I head off to "Hell's Kitchen"......they tell me the reception there sucks and LCD's melt quickly..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not if he talked to Ballard and realized he could get to 2 for the same price. He might not have 3 guys he’s comfortable taking, like Jets apparently do. He may have never wanted to just get to 3 and was only gauging the market surrounding 2 to use in negotiations. No one has any idea.

Right, right. Im still all about moving to #2. And when Beane pulls that off, I'll be praising him as much as Im criticizing him. (Honestly, Im not even criticizing him as much as the "Fantasy GM" moves some posters here are proposing) But this conversation started as "The Bills shouldnt move up any farther".

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Then all those moves going back to trading down in the last draft, were for nothing.

You ASSUMED they traded back to get a QB even though Beane wasn't even the GM yet. :doh:   You know what you get when you ASSUME, dude.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Donahoe made the deal with the Texans work. They took it, so it worked. They cancelled it when DeAngelo Hall went off the board at #8 and they feared a run on CBs. Beane couldn't possibly outbid the Jets for the third pick if the Jets were desperate and paid what the Colts wanted. They mostly wanted the #6 pick. They weren't moving down to #12 unless the Jets refused. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

You ASSUMED they traded back to get a QB even though Beane wasn't even the GM yet. :doh:   You know what you get when you ASSUME, dude.

If they didnt make all these moves to go after a QB, then they should be fired right now as this regime will be yet another failure in Bills history.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Donahoe made the deal with the Texans work. They took it, so it worked. They cancelled it when DeAngelo Hall went off the board at #8 and they feared a run on CBs. Beane couldn't possibly outbid the Jets for the third pick if the Jets were desperate and paid what the Colts wanted. They mostly wanted the #6 pick. They weren't moving down to #12 unless the Jets refused. 

When they canceled, he should have made them an offer they couldnt refuse.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The front page is starting to look like my old Facebook feed (before I shut down my account). Repetitive, ill-informed opinions stated as facts. So much static, there's no real info.

Which is just the way the Bills want it I’m sure. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’re the ones purposely putting out contradictory information.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If they didnt make all these moves to go after a QB, then they should be fired right now as this regime will be yet another failure in Bills history.

When they canceled, he should have made them an offer they couldnt refuse.

Who knows what was offered? The Texans were set on Drafting Dunta Robinson. They took David Carr a couple years before. Seems they weren't the smartest group. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

I'm about ready just to go into hibernation mode for the next 5 weeks.  Focus on other things besides the NFL.

This back and forth nonsense between POSTERS is pitiful.

I agree with a minor fix to your post  :)