QB Class of '83 for those who may have forgotten

The QB class of 1983 was legendary, with 6 quarterbacks taken in the first round.  Three of those first rounders are in the Hall of Fame.  But the interesting thing is the order that they were taken:

1. John Elway

7. Todd Blackledge

14. Jim Kelly

15. Tony Eason

24. Ken O'Brien

27. Dan Marino

Imagine how upset the Miami fans must have been to settle for Dan Marino at #27.  Clearly the Chiefs, Pats and Jets thought that they made better choices.  And the Dolphins' message board (if one had existed back then) or the mock draft gurus (if there was such a thing) would have been talking about how Miami needs to trade up to get their franchise guy.

Two morals to this story:

1. Make sure you don't take a Todd Blackledge instead of a Hall of Famer

2. Even Hall of Famers don't necessarily win Super Bowls.  Of this group, only Elway won a SB and not until 1997, and not until he had lost 3 of them. Collectively they lost 9 of them.

So everyone, R-E-L-A-X

Edited by Norwood for Wall of Fame
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, Norwood for Wall of Fame said:

The QB class of 1983 was legendary, with 6 quarterbacks taken in the first round.  Three of those first rounders are in the Hall of Fame.  But the interesting thing is the order that they were taken:

1. John Elway

7. Todd Blackledge

14. Jim Kelly

15. Tony Eason

24. Ken O'Brien

27. Dan Marino

Imagine how upset the Miami fans must have been to settle for Dan Marino at #27.  Clearly the Chiefs, Pats and Jets thought that they made better choices.  And the Dolphins' message board (if one had existed back then) or the mock draft gurus (if there was such a thing) would have been talking about how Miami needs to trade up to get their franchise guy.

2. Even Hall of Famers don't necessarily win Super Bowls.  Of this group, only Elway won a SB and not until 1997, and not until he had lost 3 of them. Collectively they lost 9 of them.

So everyone, R-E-L-A-X

1. John Elway = Baker Mayfield

7. Todd Blackledge = Josh Rosen

14. Jim Kelly = There is no comparison........ever!

15. Tony Eason= Lamaar Jackson

24. Ken O'Brien= Darnold

27. Dan Marino= nobody close to his talent either.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

24. Ken O'Brien= Darnold

More like...

Baker Mayfield = Colt McCoy
Josh Rosen = Sam Bradford
Lamar Jackson = DeShaun Watson
Sam Darnold = Tony Romo
Josh Allen = Kyle Boller

IMO, this 2018 class is no where near either the 1983 or 2004 QB draft classes. The expectations of this 2018 QB class never lived up to it's billing. If it did, then the Giants would be drafting a QB (which they won't be doing). 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 1billsfan said:

More like...

Sam Darnold = Tony Romo
Josh Allen = Kyle Boller

IMO, this 2018 class is no where near either the 1983 or 2004 QB draft classes. The expectations of this 2018 QB class never lived up to it's billing. If it did, then the Giants would be drafting a QB (which they won't be doing). 

But the title of thread is Class of 83.

Not random QB comparo ;) 

51 minutes ago, Norwood for Wall of Fame said:

1. John Elway

7. Todd Blackledge

14. Jim Kelly

15. Tony Eason

24. Ken O'Brien

27. Dan Marino

So everyone, R-E-L-A-X

Looking back it is hard to believe that Marino was taken last.  Kelly had a better surrounding cast.  Marino was the better QB.  In the end the order really should have been Elway, Marino, Kelly.  Great post because history is an interesting thing.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Norwood for Wall of Fame said:

1. John Elway

7. Todd Blackledge

14. Jim Kelly

15. Tony Eason

24. Ken O'Brien

27. Dan Marino

So everyone, R-E-L-A-X

Thank you for a great post and much needed sanity on this board, you have restored my faith!

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

But the title of thread is Class of 83.

Not random QB comparo ;) 

Well in the spirit of the thread, I'll say that Lamar Jackson will be this year's Dan Marino.

I hope the Bills get him above all the other QBs. Not that he's a lock, just that IMO he's definitely worth using their first pick on because he does have franchise QB potential.

Edited by 1billsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

Thank you for the posts Norwood For Wall of Fame and 1billsfan.

The  "We are doomed" had their day, glad to see reasoned posters are prevailing.

The beauty of drafting is that it is an inexact science. No one knows which one of Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Mayfield will

be busts, but history has shown that at least 2 will, and they probably aren't the ones you are thinking of now.

15 hours ago, Norwood for Wall of Fame said:

1. John Elway

7. Todd Blackledge

14. Jim Kelly

15. Tony Eason

24. Ken O'Brien

27. Dan Marino

So everyone, R-E-L-A-X

Know what was special about the 83 qb class and why it's remembered as a once in a generation class? 

It's the 83 qb class, a once in a generation class!

No need to be remembered as it won't soon be forgotten.

Edited by gobills1212
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norwood for Wall of Fame said:

1. John Elway

7. Todd Blackledge

14. Jim Kelly

15. Tony Eason

24. Ken O'Brien

27. Dan Marino

So everyone, R-E-L-A-X

So the REAL moral of the story is to pick HOF QB that wins SBs.

Simple!

2004 rivals it.  This year looks to me like 2004.  There are 5 prospects with completely differant skill sets, make up, and personalities.  Depending how Buffalo has their 5 ranked they may not need to trade to 2.  I think Mayfiled, Jackson, or Allen can be had around where the Bills pick at.  Depending on the situation any of them could become success or bust.

52 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Looking back it is hard to believe that Marino was taken last.  Kelly had a better surrounding cast.  Marino was the better QB.  In the end the order really should have been Elway, Marino, Kelly.  Great post because history is an interesting thing.

There were rumors being tossed around that Marino was a coke head.  There's no way he would have gotten past the second pick based on his talent.   The only reason Kelly dropped was his shoulder injury.

The headscratcher for me was always Blackledge.   Teams fell in love with his measurables but he was never a great QB.

At the end of the day, at this point in the off season and up through the draft, success depends on if your front office is better than their front office. In years gone by I'd be worried about our Bills ... but with this crew, I've been impressed. They have a plan for the future of the club, they are attempting to build a dynasty, not make splashy headlines to generate ticket sales. They are building this team from the foundation up ... one brick at a time. I am confident that this front office will find us talent at the QB position, whether it's in the top 5 picks, at pick 12, or in the second or third round ... that talented QB is there somewhere ... they will find him (and not hurt the future of the team to get him).

Even with such a small sample size, I'll pit our front office & scouting staff against all the Cleveland, Colts, Jets, Chicago, Washington, Miami of the league any day of the week, can they compete with New England, Pittsburg, Green Bay ... only time will tell.

Just remember when you are the verge of that pre season panic attack .... we are NOT trying to win the off season ... we're trying to build a dynasty.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I remember hearing rumors of drug use i.e. coke, not just him but others too, that caused him to slide.

2 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

More like...

Sam Darnold = Tony Romo
Josh Allen = Kyle Boller

:thumbsup:  I don't think 2018 is even as good as 2012, much less 2004 or 1983.  Lots of hype, not much substance, much like 2011.

I don't think the pros think as much of these QBs as the draft mavens pretend because so many of the teams at the top of the draft have been willing to consider trading back.  If these kids were as good as advertised, nobody would be interested in trading back. 

I still contend this is more like the '99 class.  Teams went quarterback for the first three picks and passed on talents like Ricky Williams, Edgerrin James, Tory Holt, and Champ Bailey.

Eric Couch (pick #1)

Donovan McNabb (pick #2)

Akili Smith (pick #3)

Daunte Culpepper (pick #11)

Cade McNown (pick #12)

You could easily see the first three picks being QB's (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield) and five QB's taken with the top 12 picks.  That includes Josh Allen and then either Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph to us at #12.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

There were rumors being tossed around that Marino was a coke head.  There's no way he would have gotten past the second pick based on his talent.   The only reason Kelly dropped was his shoulder injury.

The headscratcher for me was always Blackledge.   Teams fell in love with his measurables but he was never a great QB.

You beat me to it as far as Marino and Blackledge go.  While there is doubt Marino was a cokehead he apparently had a reputation as a partier which did nothing to help.  I would add that O'Brien's career early on was pretty decent.  He had guys around such as Al Toon to help.

11 hours ago, Norwood for Wall of Fame said:

1. John Elway

7. Todd Blackledge

14. Jim Kelly

15. Tony Eason

24. Ken O'Brien

27. Dan Marino

So everyone, R-E-L-A-X

So in the supposed best year for QBs, you had a 50/50 chance of drafting a Hall of Fame QB. And when they made it to the Super Bowl, their chances were 1 in 10.

And this class compares to 1983 how? I continue to maintain, of the top 5 guys, a minimum of 3 are total busts. 

Odds say 2 or 3 of the Elite prospects will become quality starters. Odds say those players will go well before the 12th pick. You can bet your rent check on a 16th seed in the NCAA tournament with the logic that We’ll UMBC one a game or 2 last year”. But odds are you’ll lose. I’d rather Bet on #1 I’ll come out ahead more often than not. 

11 hours ago, macaroni said:

At the end of the day, at this point in the off season and up through the draft, success depends on if your front office is better than their front office. In years gone by I'd be worried about our Bills ... but with this crew, I've been impressed. They have a plan for the future of the club, they are attempting to build a dynasty, not make splashy headlines to generate ticket sales. They are building this team from the foundation up ... one brick at a time. I am confident that this front office will find us talent at the QB position, whether it's in the top 5 picks, at pick 12, or in the second or third round ... that talented QB is there somewhere ... they will find him (and not hurt the future of the team to get him).

Even with such a small sample size, I'll pit our front office & scouting staff against all the Cleveland, Colts, Jets, Chicago, Washington, Miami of the league any day of the week, can they compete with New England, Pittsburg, Green Bay ... only time will tell.

Just remember when you are the verge of that pre season panic attack .... we are NOT trying to win the off season ... we're trying to build a dynasty.

Great post!   I agree. 

I havent had had faith in a front office and coaching staff in a LONG time like I do in this one. I have high hopes that they will get this thing right in the long run and build a team that's truly competitive year in and year out. 

And all I could keep thinking after the shock of the Jets trading up wore off - am I really That worried about what they do? Especially with their current ownership? 

The answer is no, I'm not. Even if/when they draft a top end QB prospect at 3, I have little faith that they will provide that QB with the coaching and other resources, as well as surround him with real talent throughout the rest of the team, that he needs to be truly successful in the long run. They may end up with a good QB who can help win them games, but I don't really have any fear of them becoming the next Brady/Patriots and taking over the division. 

Bills Make Kelly NFL's Highest-Paid Player

August 19, 1986|Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Jim Kelly, record-setting passer in the United States Football League, became the highest-paid player in the National Football League Monday.

The Buffalo Bills signed Kelly to a five-year contract that, according to Kelly's agents, is worth between $7.5 million and $8 million. The salary, about $1.5 million a year, is at least $200,000 more than quarterback Joe Montana's annual pay with the San Francisco 49ers.

The Bills are hoping to receive instant credibility with fans after winning just 4 of their last 32 games and selling fewer than 20,000 season tickets for the second straight season.

Different era. (BTW, Loved those big square shoulder blockers back then)

6 hours ago, Billznut said:

Youre welcome. 

Yes thank you. I wasn't really asking a question, that it was 1983 was a given. Just pointing it out. You wouldn't expect 5 of 6 QBs taken in a draft to all be in the same division.

6 hours ago, 145B4IDIE said:

Bills Make Kelly NFL's Highest-Paid Player

August 19, 1986|Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Jim Kelly, record-setting passer in the United States Football League, became the highest-paid player in the National Football League Monday.

The Buffalo Bills signed Kelly to a five-year contract that, according to Kelly's agents, is worth between $7.5 million and $8 million. The salary, about $1.5 million a year, is at least $200,000 more than quarterback Joe Montana's annual pay with the San Francisco 49ers.

The Bills are hoping to receive instant credibility with fans after winning just 4 of their last 32 games and selling fewer than 20,000 season tickets for the second straight season.

Different era. (BTW, Loved those big square shoulder blockers back then)

Jesus. Guys are about to double Kelly’s yearly salary in a single game check. 

22 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

24. Ken O'Brien= Darnold

Not to nit-pick, but the closest thing to Elway in this Draft is Josh Allen....arm strength, size, and mentality. The only future HOFer I can think of that someone would want to compare Mayfield to is Brees...and while the whole height issue does help, it's more about bootlegs, roll-outs, seeing through the traffic, backing way up to get a clear line of sight, and then the rest...completions, similar arm strength, etc.

Also, IMHO, Josh Rosen is far closer to Marino than you're giving him credit for....back then QBs took a beating and nobody gave a poop about concussions unless they were walking in circles asking for an ice cream....obviously concussions were significantly under reported and undetected, so if that's the issue, i.e. health sustainability, I don't think it's a fair comparison. 

Just to be clear, I'm for staying put at 12 and letting the Draft come to the Bills because I see this QB class as more wide than deep as in, there will be 6, maybe 7, good QBs to come out of this class, and none of them are so head and shoulders above the rest that I can see the reasoning to trade the farm to move to #2...

Good post. I don’t think the point is to say this year’s QB class will produce 3 HOFers, I think it’s to say that all the draft wizards, hours spent on mock drafts and message board tantrums can’t possibly predict how things will play out. 

See also: Teabag Manning and Ryan Leaf. Those dudes were practically a coin flip on draft night.