Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

Word down here is the Giants LOVE Barkley and will not do anything that will hamper them from taking him.

If the Browns take Barkley at one, the Giants plans will change to QB.

That is the chatter down here anyways.

The Bills have offered a lot for the Giants number two pick, but the Giants aren't budging unless Barkley is unavailable to them.

At least this is what the chatter is in Giants land.

In a nutshell.............. Don't blame McBeane if they can't get to 2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Word down here is the Giants LOVE Barkley and will not do anything that will hamper them from taking him.

If the Browns take Barkley at one, the Giants plans will change to QB.

That is the chatter down here anyways.

The Bills have offered a lot for the Giants number two pick, but the Giants aren't budging unless Barkley is unavailable to them.

At least this is what the chatter is in Giants land.

In a nutshell.............. Don't blame McBeane if they can't get to 2.

Media has been reporting this but I heard it’s smoke and they are just trying to drive up the price for 2. Nelson is #1 on their board and they WANT to trade down if they can still get him at that spot.  Right now that’s not 12 but definitely would be 6.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Media has been reporting this but I heard it’s smoke and they are just trying to drive up the price for 2. Nelson is #1 on their board and they WANT to trade down if they can still get him at that spot.  Right now that’s not 12 but definitely would be 6.

Think we need to get to 6 before draft?  Too dicey to wait, imo.  

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

I am happy Beane is not caving to whatever package the Giants are trying to muscle from him. 

I’m absolutely sure that is what the report from Rapaport was about, that they aren’t interested in 2 anymore and focused on 5. Gettleman prefers not to take nelson at 2 but might have to if his asking price is too high 

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I think I’m gonna have to agree... might even help us get higher before someone else takes #6 

Yeah, I'd rather have 6 in my pocket.  If a higher pick opens up, you can consider it.  At least at 6, the likelihood of getting one of the top 4 is reasonably good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m just pissed off that the Colts are willing to trade down again when we could have just gotten their pick to begin with.  I thought the whole point of them trading with the Jets was because they didn’t want to drop down too far.

It was early, boards weren't close to finalized and 3 2nds for what amounts to 2 spots was too good to pass up. It was very low risk for the Colts, and as Yolo mentioned above the opportunity for a second move down is still there. They didn't want to position themselves outside the top ten that early. It now looks like one or two elite players will get pushed out of the top 10 due to QBs being taken. The Colts did indicate a willingness to make another move down just a week or so after the Jets deal. I don't believe the Bills had much of a chance at pick 3, but that the Colts used the Bills interest to leverage more out of the Jets. Their pick at 6 was just a lot more attractive than what the Bills had. 

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

We're going to have to severely over pay, no question about it. I hope we do it prior to the draft, and I wonder what would convince Gettleman to accept. Definitely 3 firsts, but what else? Both seconds?

I would only consider that for Sam Darnold.

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I would only consider that for Sam Darnold.

I don't think we have the luxury to wait and see. I think they are really only willing to move up for Darnold and Rosen. At the end of the day it's the value of the pick, and I expect us to make a huge bid, sending the board into hand-wringing chaos. 

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

I keep seeing people (fans) say Bills are desperate to do a deal.  No they are not.  some fans are desperate to see them do a deal.  If Beane were that desperate he could have already given away all the picks necessary to make a deal long before now; the proverbial offer Gettleman can't refuse.  Nothing about Beane's M.O. suggests he operates out of desperation; that dude is cold blooded.

if he sat still and picked at 12 I wouldn't be surprised at all.

agreed. would not be surprised. But i feel he will move if it is a Win for the Bills as well..
Disciplined i might describe Him/Them.

could be and exciting draft. and could be a boring one for the Bills as they sit on 12 or thereabouts.

I will sure be watching. first two picks will tell the story Thursday

This guy makes a good point on Allen.  Regarding the pitchforks.....if the Bills draft Allen, would he get booed at his first sighting in front of Bills fans or would to the locals accept him?  After suffering through Tyrod, it's going to be tough to put on my smiley face.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PIZ said:

This guy makes a good point on Allen.  Regarding the pitchforks.....if the Bills draft Allen, would he get booed at his first sighting in front of Bills fans or would to the locals accept him?  After suffering through Tyrod, it's going to be tough to put on my smiley face.

I would only start sharpening the pitchfork if it's proven over time that he sucks, and I would only start using it if he didn't leave town in a timely manner. Other than that, I'm more than happy to give him a chance like every other new Bill.

12 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I don't think we have the luxury to wait and see. I think they are really only willing to move up for Darnold and Rosen. At the end of the day it's the value of the pick, and I expect us to make a huge bid, sending the board into hand-wringing chaos. 

Sounds like fun !
Ereck Flowers was mentioned above. If we have to give 3 1sts to get to two, i want Flowers and a second back.

can we fit Flowers into the budget this year though ?

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would only start sharpening the pitchfork if it's proven over time that he sucks, and I would only start using it if he didn't leave town in a timely manner. Other than that, I'm more than happy to give him a chance like every other new Bill.

kinda have to trust the guys running the Show on this , don't we ?

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Sounds like fun !
Ereck Flowers was mentioned above. If we have to give 3 1sts to get to two, i want Flowers and a second back.

can we fit Flowers into the budget this year though ?

kinda have to trust the guys running the Show on this , don't we ?

Absolutely. I trust that they will make a good choice.

Even more than that, I trust that they will cut their losses and move on quickly if it's obvious he won't work out.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Rico said:

Absolutely. I trust that they will make a good choice.

Even more than that, I trust that they will cut their losses and move on quickly if it's obvious he won't work out.

if that is under consideration , do you feel they should not reach for a QB ?
You draft the Guy at #2 . he had best work out ! Or you have to question the scouting and Beanes side of the equation perhaps ?
This is not like drafting EJ Manuel , cuz you had try for a franchise QB in a year of leeser QBs overall.
  To me this draft is likely to produce a couple long term QBs. Frencheyes Qbs even maybe : )
Go get him or admit you can't and build the rest of the Team. take a flyer on a later round QB and hope like hell AJ works out.

as you say though. I gots me some faith this time around Bills will do us proud. regardless of how they see the board and if they feel a good trade or 2 is on the table.

Go Bills 

The only way it's acceptable to draft Allen is if Mayfield or Rosen are already off the board and we had no opportunity to move up to get them. If nobody wants to trade then so be it. If they move up and take Allen with any of those 2 still available then they might as well be gambling and if wrong they deserve to be fired.

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

if that is under consideration , do you feel they should not reach for a QB ?
You draft the Guy at #2 . he had best work out ! Or you have to question the scouting and Beanes side of the equation perhaps ?
This is not like drafting EJ Manuel , cuz you had try for a franchise QB in a year of leeser QBs overall.
  To me this draft is likely to produce a couple long term QBs. Frencheyes Qbs even maybe : )
Go get him or admit you can't and build the rest of the Team. take a flyer on a later round QB and hope like hell AJ works out.

as you say though. I gots me some faith this time around Bills will do us proud. regardless of how they see the board and if they feel a good trade or 2 is on the table.

Go Bills 

I would prefer never ever burning a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on any major project, QB or not. Day 3 or UDFA, no problem.

no question, i agree.
But taking a QB is nearly always like taking a project. rarely is a College QB a "lock "  this season included.

I think there are a couple in there very early in the draft that will succeed long term if brought into the best environment. Transitioning to NFL for QBs is no small task these days.

spread offense     and quick reads                    bleecchht

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

agreed. would not be surprised. But i feel he will move if it is a Win for the Bills as well..
Disciplined i might describe Him/Them.

could be and exciting draft. and could be a boring one for the Bills as they sit on 12 or thereabouts.

I will sure be watching. first two picks will tell the story Thursday

If he can make a good deal he will definitely do that.  I'm good in whatever direction he chooses to go.  Many ways to climb the mountain.  I can take that position b/c  I'm not tied to any one QB due to the fact they all have obvious ?'s. The best of the bunch might turn out to be one of the "2nd tier" QBs.  

Beane traded Watkins and Darby two weeks before the season started.  Kept Boldin on the retired list despite rumblings he wanted to play.  Shipped Marcel out.  Traded Cordy.  

Let EJ Gaines walk for peanuts.  Traded Tyrod after a playoff season.

COLD BLOODED.  This regime will get their type of guys (on-field and off) and those who are found not to fit, in either respect, will be out the door at the best available opportunity.  Beane ain't playing games, and he does not care how many tears the fans shed in the process, and trust, last August I was hotter than fish grease after those trades.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

no question, i agree.
But taking a QB is nearly always like taking a project. rarely is a College QB a "lock "  this season included.

I think there are a couple in there very early in the draft that will succeed long term if brought into the best environment. Transitioning to NFL for QBs is no small task these days.

spread offense     and quick reads                    bleecchht

I would not draft anyone, QB or otherwise, on Day 1 or Day 2 who I felt would not be ready to start by their 2nd year. That’s a major project to me, and I don’t have time to wait, not in the modern NFL

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I would not draft anyone, QB or otherwise, on Day 1 or Day 2 who I felt would not be ready to start by their 2nd year. That’s a major project to me, and I don’t have time to wait, not in the modern NFL

Patience is often considered virtuous . but no one has the time for the Flower to bloom.
especially Fandom in the NFL

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

If he can make a good deal he will definitely do that.  I'm good in whatever direction he chooses to go.  Many ways to climb the mountain.  I can take that position b/c  I'm not tied to any one QB due to the fact they all have obvious ?'s. The best of the bunch might turn out to be one of the "2nd tier" QBs.  

Beane traded Watkins and Darby two weeks before the season started.  Kept Boldin on the retired list despite rumblings he wanted to play.  Shipped Marcel out.  Traded Cordy.  

Let EJ Gaines walk for peanuts.  Traded Tyrod after a playoff season.

COLD BLOODED.  This regime will get their type of guys (on-field and off) and those who are found not to fit, in either respect, will be out the door at the best available opportunity.  Beane ain't playing games, and he does not care how many tears the fans shed in the process, and trust, last August I was hotter than fish grease after those trades.

never heard that before.
may i borrow it ?

25 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Patience is often considered virtuous . but no one has the time for the Flower to bloom.
especially Fandom in the NFL

never heard that before.
may i borrow it ?

I pass it on to you from the hoods of urban America, my friend.  Use it well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Ya know what? !@#$ the New York Football Giants. We’re staying at 12. That’s the smart move. 

I’m starting to think the same thing. Roll the dice and sit back.

BBB

Brass Balls Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

You believe the Bills can get one of the top QBs on their board at 12 ? Why do you think this? 

Because I was always taught “when in doubt...don’t”. Meaning: If none of these guys are a “lock” then build your base. Win the war...rather than the battle. 

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Because I was always taught “when in doubt...don’t”. Meaning: If none of these guys are a “lock” then build your base. Win the war...rather than the battle. 

Most drafts don't have " lock" QBs , if there is such a thing. Still doesn't answer the question , though. I take it you do not think the Bills can get one of their top rated QBs at 12. I don't either. I do think it's very possible they believe strongly in one or two of these QBs and will try to move up to get that player. 

• Like (+1) 1