Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

44 minutes ago, Yard Monkey said:

All these pages of posts and no reference, picture or ripping on his god awful tattoo?

Earlier I noted he has the ugliest tats since Italians invented chest hair.

I got a little run form that but it died down quickly.

16 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

What a freaking joke..........happy for a back up who hasn't shown squat .......how long are we going to keep these blinders on .........2-16 here we come   

They play 18 games now???? :blink:

5 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

I have to laugh. The guy has barely played, spent 4 seasons holding a chip board and he gonna make $10 million! What a great freakin job being an NFL backup! 

The guy is gonna make more than Shady and he’s been the entire offense for several years! McCoy should demand a raise. 

Mmmmmm....chip board!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

I have to laugh. The guy has barely played, spent 4 seasons holding a chip board and he gonna make $10 million! What a great freakin job being an NFL backup! 

The guy is gonna make more than Shady and he’s been the entire offense for several years! McCoy should demand a raise. 

Bell is making the most money ever as a rb at 14 mil.  It’s the position. 

Checker vs chess.  The Jets signing Mccown and Bridgewater after missing out on Cousins checkers.  Waiting for the market to shrink and getting a guy 50 cents on the dollar compared to like deals is chess.  Still can fill needs of the team through FA still have a crest of picks to get your guys in the draft chess.

• Like (+1) 1

Well played, Mr. Beane.  Well played.  McCarron + what looks like one of the Big Four QBs in the draft is about as good as Bills fans could have hoped for. On McCarron:

1. He's probably not going to be that good. Andy Dalton is a fine, better than the median NFL starting QB. He makes a lot of money but would have been easily tradeable. But the Bengals had no interest in committing to McCarron instead of Dalton. So I have to believe they didn't see that much potential in him.

2. But McCarron has a reasonable chance - maybe it's 1 in 3, maybe it's 1 in 5, who knows - of being significantly better than people think. In other words, he has upside, and the Mike Glennons and Josh McCowns and Matt Moores and Trevor Siemians of the world don't. So for a team like the Bills, McCarron is perfect. Not "just" a placeholder; a placeholder who could turn out to be, well, an Andy Dalton 2.0.

3.He's pretty affordable. If he plays really well, the rookie sits for longer. McCarron gets his bonus, but then lots of teams would want to trade for him. If he sucks, well, the rookie takes over earlier rather than later, and you've got an ordinary backup in McCarron at an affordable price.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

If you're the owner, sure. We're fans. What are we going to do? Stop cheering for the Bills because the owner didn't know how to budget his billions?

NO. But you are going to be an unhappy fan because they miss budgeted so now they can not afford to bring in talent to be a competitive team.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'm not super high on AJ (think he's just been on loaded teams), at worst, we have a vet backup qb who can be a mentor. At best, maybe he is a hidden gem. Much more upside than TJ Yates or Matt Cassel. Even if he doesn't start, I think it's good signing. 

The best that can be said for AJM is that he hasn't proven that he sucks...yet.  And his contract allows for him to easily be removed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Love this signing.

Very strange year indeed. So many QBs available. Cousins, Keenum, Bradford, Teddy, McCown, McCarron. 4 Potential top 10 rookies and a couple more rooks with potential.

I think Beane played it perfectly. Only 32 teams. Let each of the QB needy teams overpay and wait a bit. McCarron is faced with signing as a back-up or going to a spot where he can start. Beane then has the negotiating power. If it's under $10 mil he did well.

McCarron's unproven but certainly had some suitors when with the Bengals. There's some potential there. 

Certainly they need to go up and get a QB. For the first time in a long time this front office is going all in on finding a QB. Drafting  one of the top 4 rookies is in the Bills plans.

Even top 5 drafted QBs are no guarantee. You put 2 QBs with potential on your roster, take 2 shots instead of one. Let them compete. If they're both good, they ship McCarron out for a 2nd rounder.

Edited by DrinkinBuddy

10 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

How about they pay $20m for Sam Bradford instead?

Worst case our QB has a hot wife, it's about time...

10 minutes ago, vincec said:

You making up impossible stuff and claiming that it’s just as probable as realistic options? Yeah, actually I see that everyday in the alternative news media so I’m very familiar with it.

So, you are stating Peterman beating out McCarron is a realistic option?

Our conversation is done.

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

So go over the cap! Who the hell cares? The Eagles are over the cap, and that trophy still looks pretty good.

Holly cap hell what are you breathing in that LA air??

NO TEAM GOES OVER THE CAP.

On a yearly basis some teams are able to spend more then the cap legally within cap as you can bring forward surplus you did not spend the year before, but over the long haul all teams spend exactly the same amounts on a yearly avg..

PS: you do not win when you spend way less than cap as Bills Browns and others have done in the near past.

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

So, you are stating Peterman beating out McCarron is a realistic option?

Our conversation is done.

If you are saying that it’s just as likely that McCarron, a career backup behind Andy Dalton, who was the last QB to sign in feee agency is just as likely to throw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDS as to lose out to Peterman as a backup then you don’t really have a grasp of reality. Or probabilities. But I agree with one thing: our conversation is done,

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

The best that can be said for AJM is that he hasn't proven that he sucks...yet.  And his contract allows for him to easily be removed.

That's very well said.  It is also true that if he plays well he can also be easily retained at least through the current CBA.  Really, I don't know how someone could be unhappy with this deal.  The Bills still have beaucoup meaningful picks, cap space and what appears to me to be a very well run FO.  They hold all the cards going into the draft and can go in whatever direction they feel best.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

That's very well said.  It is also true that if he plays well he can also be easily retained at least through the current CBA.  Really, I don't know how someone could be unhappy with this deal.  The Bills still have beaucoup meaningful picks, cap space and what appears to me to be a very well run FO.  They hold all the cards going into the draft and can go in whatever direction they feel best.

The reason to be unhappy is that McCarron doesn’t really represent a strong plan B if the new rookie QB isn’t ready to start. He has never been a starter and has some real question marks as to whether he ever could be a successful one. I am fine with dumping Taylor, but he was a .500 starter. That was a legitimate short term plan B.

• Like (+1) 1