Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

1 hour ago, simool said:

Puhlease McCarron's concerns pale in comparison to the problems we would have had if they signed Moore.  This signing made my frigging night. I though for sure they were going to sign Moore.

No I was referring to Rosen. I love the McCarron signing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

Even without his cash and position I wouldn’t look at this couple and think something was off about it. Maybe it’s just me, she’s pretty, but isn’t some unbelievable beauty.

True. The guy doesn't look like some total choad dating a cheerleader. Now, put her next to say Glennon and things look a little off. 

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

But when I hear fans here say "I'm not crazy about McCarron, but if we didn't overpay, I'll be okay" makes no sense to me. 

I think part of the disconnect here is that you're framing this with the context of him leading us to a Superbowl victory. I can say "Hey, if I win the Powerball tomorrow, no one will care what I spend on anything" Both are true, just not likely.

But the odds are he will be a backup. If you're paying a competent backup $5M a year, that's a pretty good deal. If you're paying him $15M a year, well, now you're just tying up money that could be used to better the team in other areas.

And there are consequences to going over the cap.  Teams simply cannot go over the cap. The NFL can reject any new deal that places a team over the cap. If a team releases a player and suddenly realizes the full amount of that players signing bonus, they have 7 days to get back under the cap. If a team attempts to deliberately circumvent the cap, they can be fined or forfeit draft picks (See Pittsburgh, San Fran).

44 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Why do you guys keep bringing up price as one reason to be cool with a football player, as if you're the one's cutting the checks?

I mean, I understand it if your neighbor bought a car and  you think "That's a nice car, but I wouldn't pay $xxxxx for it." Because, y'know, you're gonna buy a car of your own one day. 

But pretty much no one here is going to drop $20M on a quarterback, and to somehow think you'll be okay with the pick as long as the team didn't overpay makes absolutely, positively no sense at all.

It's just the weirdest thing to discuss.

Because it's a salary cap sport.  Good teams manage the cap well.  To overpay a completely an unproven guy like AJ would be stupid.  Most people thought the money the Bears gave Glennon last year was completely stupid and it was.  As it turns it out, the AJ deal is very reasonable and should make you feel better about the current regime's ability to make smart deals.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Why do you guys keep bringing up price as one reason to be cool with a football player, as if you're the one's cutting the checks?

I mean, I understand it if your neighbor bought a car and  you think "That's a nice car, but I wouldn't pay $xxxxx for it." Because, y'know, you're gonna buy a car of your own one day. 

But pretty much no one here is going to drop $20M on a quarterback, and to somehow think you'll be okay with the pick as long as the team didn't overpay makes absolutely, positively no sense at all.

It's just the weirdest thing to discuss.

OK. WE have not had these questions for a while as we have answered them many times. No disrespect intended at all, here are the reasons for why we find your question weird.

We all get "it is not our money" "that we do not write the checks" 

As a fan what Fans want is a competitive good team to challenge for playoffs every year and have a chance at a Super Bowl every once in awhile. If your team spends more than market rate and overpays someone, they have less money to spend on the cap and can not bring in better players.

EX: they could sign Aaron Maybin out of retirement to play DE for $150 million per year. Then could not afford any other decent players. They could sign a stud WR for mega money and then have to fill out WR roster with scrubs.

Would you then say you do not understand why fans would be upset with that?? Just wondering how some fans can not understand this salary cap vs acquiring good players equation.

Signing AJ to low contract means they can sign two more FA and be a "better" team.

20 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

The idea of judging a player, in part, based on what someone else paid for him is ridiculous.

Especially since most coaches don't do that, unless a meddlesome owner forces them to.

9 minutes ago, MDH said:

Even without his cash and position I wouldn’t look at this couple and think something was off about it. Maybe it’s just me, she’s pretty, but isn’t some unbelievable beauty.

His tattoo is so awful but I agree.  Face it, women aren't as superficial as men.   Physical appearance isn't their main attraction to a man (I'm sure that good news for a lot of posters :) ).  Of course the trade off for dating/ marrying an attractive woman is dealing with their craziness.  The key is finding the right balance between crazy and hot.  :)

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

He has consistency issues with his mechanics, not major flaws that need round the clock attention. This is the new NFL, where you create mismatches when you have a better hand you can play. If they draft him, he'll see the field in 2018.

He has Major issues with his feet and base. 

Look i like his ceiling too but not going to downplay his issues. 

And it would be asnine playing him anywhere else on the field other than QB when in development 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, liverpoolkev said:

What a freaking joke..........happy for a back up who hasn't shown squat .......how long are we going to keep these blinders on .........2-16 here we come   

So the Bills are going to make the playoffs after going 1-15, win a playoff game, and then lose one?  That would be one hell of a season.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, QCity said:

I think part of the disconnect here is that you're framing this with the context of him leading us to a Superbowl victory. I can say "Hey, if I win the Powerball tomorrow, no one will care what I spend on anything" Both are true, just not likely.

But the odds are he will be a backup. If you're paying a competent backup $5M a year, that's a pretty good deal. If you're paying him $15M a year, well, now you're just tying up money that could be used to better the team in other areas.

And there are consequences to going over the cap.  Teams simply cannot go over the cap. The NFL can reject any new deal that places a team over the cap. If a team releases a player and suddenly realizes the full amount of that players signing bonus, they have 7 days to get back under the cap. If a team attempts to deliberately circumvent the cap, they can be fined or forfeit draft picks (See Pittsburgh, San Fran).

I agree with all of this. I genuinely do.

What I don't agree with is the concept that a fan's decision to like a player should be, in part, based on what he is paid. When I read someone say "I'm not a big fan of the hire, but if we didn't overpay, I'm okay with it," literally makes no sense to me.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

To overpay a completely an unproven guy like AJ would be stupid.

Agreed. But again, to suggest you aren't big on the hire, but you'll be okay if the money is okay makes no sense to me. Even if they overpaid him, it should have no bearing on whether you like the hire. He's either going to help or he's not. You either like the skill set he brings to the the team or you don't. But to judge that based on what his agent got for him?

Makes no sense to me.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is that what it is? 

What if he starts only every game of 2018?

This is incredible.... sooooOOOOOOoooooo glad we didn't go after Foles.

If he plays at a high level in 2018 and and leads team to playoffs and has a great finish in playoffs........... dreaming of course........then they sign him to a long term extension.