Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

One of the best things about this signing is that the ridiculous "Tre White for Foles" and "our entire draft for Andrew Luck" speculation is now dead. 

Wait. You mean we're not going to give up 2 firsts and a third for Lucky?

Damn. That hat 'brilliant' written all over it.

Love the signing, perfect situation for both the Bills and McCarron. 

Anyone else have a gut feeling that this means that we draft Allen or Jackson at 12 and that we may not expend any further draft capital to move up? I guess I'd be okay with it it, but man do I have a man-crush on Rosen. If we landed him, I'd be ecstatic. 

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

Why do you guys keep bringing up price as one reason to be cool with a football player, as if you're the one's cutting the checks?

I mean, I understand it if your neighbor bought a car and  you think "That's a nice car, but I wouldn't pay $xxxxx for it." Because, y'know, you're gonna buy a car of your own one day. 

But pretty much no one here is going to drop $20M on a quarterback, and to somehow think you'll be okay with the pick as long as the team didn't overpay makes absolutely, positively no sense at all.

It's just the weirdest thing to discuss.

Because the less money spent on a newly-acquired player, the more money available to potentially sign another player that can help the team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Why do you guys keep bringing up price as one reason to be cool with a football player, as if you're the one's cutting the checks?

I mean, I understand it if your neighbor bought a car and  you think "That's a nice car, but I wouldn't pay $xxxxx for it." Because, y'know, you're gonna buy a car of your own one day. 

But pretty much no one here is going to drop $20M on a quarterback, and to somehow think you'll be okay with the pick as long as the team didn't overpay makes absolutely, positively no sense at all.

Limited resources.. money to spend other places? If your neighbor needed a new roof but spent $40,000 on a 1971 Pinto you would probably discuss with anyone who would listen. 

Edited by slaphappy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

Well, not really...

I think fans are conscious of the salary cap implications of various players and positions. There's this emphasis (among managers on winning franchises) on VALUE. And that value has nothing to do with the actual paychecks being issued, but rather the share of available cap each player/position group consumes. 

It's really not weird at all to add that into the analysis of football players, much like the actual decision makers do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Great deal.  While I’m not the biggest fan of Aj, Beane did a helluva job sticking to his guns and not overpaying for a QB.  Should be able to be competent while our rookie sits and learns the ropes.

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Oh, well then, I guess I like this pick up! If the performance escalators hit 8.5, it would be a non-starter for me.

If the performance escalators kick in that would mean he's playing well, we're not talking about roster bonuses for being on the team each game. Let's be clear, he was brought in to compete for a starting job and at worst play backup. We signed him for a pittance. Arizona just signed Mr. Glass for 20M a year and you know he's not playing a full season. We are drafting a top 2-3 QB. We are in a good position. 

Edited by ndirish1978

Great deal!  people bitchin about tyrod and whatever.......ok now you got a probable excellent bridge (if we get a top 3 rookie QB) and a possible long term answer.......in words of aaron rodgers....RELAX and enjoy...this is a very very very good day for Bills fans...