Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

49 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Thanks.  (I'm out of thank you's and likes for the day because I spent way too much time here today.)

I don't get it - me too - never knew you could run outa likes - but like you I have been here far too long today......

9 minutes ago, QCity said:

You can judge a GM's acumen based on the amount of capital (salary, draft picks) he gives up to obtain players.  Spending a fortune on a backup QB isn't always a smart move.

Okay. If you want to judge the GM based on what they're paying, I'm completely with you. We SHOULD judge the GM on this.

But when I hear fans here say "I'm not crazy about McCarron, but if we didn't overpay, I'll be okay" makes no sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Since becoming a full-time starter, Sanu has averaged around 52 catches for 600 yards and 3 TD's a season.  Nothing special.

So you're saying that 2 of the best defenses in the NFL couldn't beat an allegedly dumbed-down offense?  And signing AJM doesn't change the equation one iota.

Well designed and executed offense can defeat the best defenses even if they only run a handful of plays from multiple formations.  Nothing new about that.  I'm done talking about Foles. 

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

You're at a loss because I'm not making my point clear enough.

Let me try it another way: if AJ McCarron takes the Bills to the SB this season, is anyone really going to give a crap what the team paid for him? Even if the team went over the cap?

No. In fact, hell no.

If AJ McCarron ends up leading the BIlls to a 1-15 record, is anyone going to stand around saying "Well, that sucked but at least we're under the cap because we got him for a bargain!"?

No. They'll be too busy burning his jersey.

The idea of judging a player, in part, based on what someone else paid for him is ridiculous.

You’ve only given part of the picture though. If he leads them to the SB this year it could be, in large part, due to the fact that the Bills don’t have to tie up a large part of their cap with their QB and are able to spend money elsewhere. 

By the same token, if they flame out and go (1-15) it is much easier to recover without the albatross of a huge contract dragging the Bills down.

Contracts do matter.

2 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Okay. If you want to judge the GM based on what they're paying, I'm completely with you. We SHOULD judge the GM on this.

But when I hear fans here say "I'm not crazy about McCarron, but if we didn't overpay, I'll be okay" makes no sense to me. 

Didn’t see this response before I posted. Fair enough.

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I understand that, I just mean it's such a low price.

Some backup QBS make more than that, and he will probably start the year and has a pretty high ceiling in the prime of his career

I'm not sure what his ceiling is. The contract appears to be below or at market rate based on the body of work, other deals being signed. The incentives give potential for higher earnings, and McCarron has to feel pretty good about his chance to start. The Bills have Nate Peterman and will have a high pick rookie in the mix. That's a decent opportunity compared to other teams. Most of them are returning starters from last season or signed others to big contracts. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Is it just me or this dude WAY out of his league?

IMG_20180314_194424.jpg

He's a goofy mofo with a terrible tattoo but comments like this crack me up.  He was the qb for a national champ in Alabama, which made him like the most important person in the state.  Now he makes millions.  She's pretty but it isn't exactly hard for a guy with his resume to get a good looking woman.

44 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:
47 minutes ago, mannc said:

One of the best things about this signing is that the ridiculous "Tre White for Foles" and "our entire draft for Andrew Luck" speculation is now dead. 

Don't underestimate Bills fans

Damn - that was funny - said it before - this thread has some all time posts in it.....

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It depends on if they think those guys are franchise caliber. They won't be drafting a 1st round QB again soon; they'll try get the guy they believe in. I think theyll use some capital and move up again. They've sacrificed little to get to 12, and that's key. There is certainly a price point beyond which they won't go as it will limit their ability to put quality players on the field. That point is anyone's guess. They probably only truly like 2 of these QBs . There's still work to be done. 

Good points all around. 

Perhaps, if they covet both Darnold and Rosen, it gives them a little more wiggle room if they are only able to land one of the two. If Rosen is their guy and is there when they pick, perfect. But if he's not, and given that many evaluators think that Darnold needs to work on footwork and loopy arm delivery, this would give him the opportunity to sit and work on those issues without being pressured to start immediately and continue the bad habits. Not to say that Rosen is pro-ready immediately, but my untrained eye thinks he's more ready than Darnold. 

If we have a great oc in Daboll who will design an offense around his qb aj can be successful. Obrien went to clemsons playbook and watson looked all world. Pederman went to chip kellys rpo and foles looked great.  Dennison wanted tyrod to run his system and got fired for it.  

Dennison was like the fifth guy mcd wanted. Mcd went and got Daboll so I’m hoping this is the guy.  

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

He's a goofy mofo with a terrible tattoo but comments like this crack me up.  He was the qb for a national champ in Alabama, which made him like the most important person in the state.  Now he makes millions.  She's pretty but it isn't exactly hard for a guy with his resume to get a good looking woman.

Even without his cash and position I wouldn’t look at this couple and think something was off about it. Maybe it’s just me, she’s pretty, but isn’t some unbelievable beauty.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Jackson?  

Thats not who who you have been clamoring about.   

Uhhh... no, he's not. I've been clamoring about Mayfield and Darnold, but signing McCarron gives me pause in my previous confidence we're inevitably trading into the top 5. So, if we aren't I hope we target Jackson, who's 4th on my QB wish list rather than Allen.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Great deal - shows competency at the highest level; also seems to indicate, as others have said, that the targeted QB is someone who will need a year or two to reach NFL ready - so Darnold or Allen...? 

Allen or Jackson

19 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's 2 years $10M, with $6.5 in escalators.

I really have my doubts on AJ as a NFL starter but that is a very fair and reasonable contract.  If he loses out/ isn't good enough as starter, that veteran backup qb money.  Very smart deal and much better than paying Bradford $20 million.

• Like (+1) 1

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/14/aj-mccarron-can-make-up-to-16-5-million-over-two-years/

The signing bonus is $4 million, and he’ll earn a guaranteed base salary of $900,000 in 2018.

He has a $3 million roster bonus due on the third day of the 2019 league year, along with a $1.9 million salary. Of that amount, $1.1 million is guaranteed for injury at signing. It becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2019 league year.

The incentive package pays $1 million is he takes 60 percent of the snaps this year, and another $1 million if he takes 75 percent of the snaps. If McCarron takes 75 percent of the snaps, his base for 2019 also escalates by $2.5 million.

He also can get $1 million for taking 60 percent of the snaps in 2019, and another $1 million for taking 75 percent of the snaps in 2019. If he takes 75 percent of the snaps in 2019 but fails to do so in 2018, he’ll get the $2.5 million escalator for 2019 as an incentive instead.

These are the supposed details of the McCarron contract

• Like (+1) 2