It doesn't matter who we draft

Jobot

The top 250 NFL prospects will get drafted with each team getting a sampling of the pool.  You're gonna get some great athletes regardless.

Whoever we sign, they will not be the reason this franchise gets turned around.  This has already happened with our soon to be second year head coach who is the first true Bills leader since Marv Levy.  This game requires a winning culture to achieve greatness... and a rookie player is not going to be the cause of this.

Sit back and relax with the upcoming draft.  Whoever gets taken/traded/signed is a guy that this organization believes in.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

The top 250 NFL prospects will get drafted with each team getting a sampling of the pool.  You're gonna get some great athletes regardless.

Whoever we sign, they will not be the reason this franchise gets turned around.  This has already happened with our soon to be second year head coach who is the first true Bills leader since Marv Levy.  This game requires a winning culture to achieve greatness... and a rookie player is not going to be the cause of this.

Sit back and relax with the upcoming draft.  Whoever gets taken/traded/signed is a guy that this organization believes in.

Oh god don't try rational logic and thought here.  This may get ugly.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I’m smellin what you’re cookin....

it is is a big draft for b-lo though.  5 picks in the top 96.  Too bad they didn’t trade the philly 3rd instead of their own 3rd for k-benj

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

Yes it matters.  Look at our record since the Super Bowl years and analyze our draft history since then.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

You must be new. Check out our draft history over the last 20 years and try to catch up to the rest of us

• Like (+1) 2

Great athletes don't always make great football players.  There is no doubt in my mind every kid that gets drafted, even in the late rounds is a great athlete.  Bottom line is it does matter who you draft.  You need to find guys who are going to be great football players, not just athletes.  Above all though finding the great qb is what really makes or breaks franchises.

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

I think you got it mixed, my friend.

It does matter who we draft.   We need to draft good players to go with our culture, because ultimately other things equal talent level matters.

If our 2nd year HC and GM are who we think they are,  they will draft good players.

If they don't they aren't.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Yes it matters.  Look at our record since the Super Bowl years and analyze our draft history since then.

I'm saying we got the coach who is going to set the culture with whoever is in our locker room.  He's going to pick the guys that fit his team.

Do you think Pats fans are concerned about who they get in the upcoming draft?  No, they trust that Belicheck knows who would work in NE and who wouldn't.... That's basically my point with Mcdermott.

2 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I'm saying we got the coach who is going to set the culture with whoever is in our locker room.  He's going to pick the guys that fit his team.

Do you think Pats fans are concerned about who they get in the upcoming draft?  No, they trust that Belicheck knows who would work in NE and who wouldn't.... That's basically my point with Mcdermott.

Patriot fans are a bad example. They don't know anything, except that they are owed a championship every year.

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

Pats fans aren’t concerned yet because as of now, they have their QB. They will be concerned when Marcia hangs it up at age 59 1/2.

It certainly does matter who the Bills draft this year, because all signs point to them trying to finally acquire their very own franchise QB. After decades of slapping a band aid on the most important position and trying to win in other ways, which works sporadically and never consistently. 

21 hours ago, Jobot said:

You are right it does does not matter, we could draft 5 non QB hall of fame players in this draft and we would be no further ahead. The only thing that Matters is getting a top 10 franchise QB that can throw from the pocket in must pass situations. This is all that matters and nothing will change until the Bills take care of the QB position. Will see what happens, they screwed it up last year by passing on Mahomes and Watson. They better get there act together on this QB thing or we might start another 17 year drought of not making the playoffs. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Jobot said:

The trouble with football, the maddening thing about football, and the fascinating thing about football is that EVERYTHING matters.

Hogwash. There are plenty of mid to late 1st round rookies who made big contributions to their franchise in both the short and long term. 

You telling me getting players like Brandin Cooks, Bradley Roby, Deandre Hopkins, Travis Frederick, Xavier Rhodes, Chandler Jones or Harrison Smith is not going to make a difference? 

49 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Hogwash. There are plenty of mid to late 1st round rookies who made big contributions to their franchise in both the short and long term. 

You telling me getting players like Brandin Cooks, Bradley Roby, Deandre Hopkins, Travis Frederick, Xavier Rhodes, Chandler Jones or Harrison Smith is not going to make a difference? 

Absolutely it mattered... but all those guys (Damn...Deandre Hopkins is a Patriot?) are unknowns on their new teams until they snap the ball.  Talent in the right system is going to eventually succeed.  Hell look at Gilmore when he first started in NE to the end of the year.  He was outstanding in the SB.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pats fans aren’t concerned yet because as of now, they have their QB. They will be concerned when Marcia hangs it up at age 59 1/2.

It certainly does matter who the Bills draft this year, because all signs point to them trying to finally acquire their very own franchise QB. After decades of slapping a band aid on the most important position and trying to win in other ways, which works sporadically and never consistently. 

They had Jimmy G and were set to continue their domination another 10 years... Since Brady is going to keep playing another couple years this just becomes higher on their priority.

If Buffalo gets a new QB this year to start day-1, we won't know if this is going to be 'The Guy' for at least 3 years...  During that time, Mcdermott is going to continue his evaluation of qb play and may very well draft another qb next year if it's warranted.

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Yes thats what i’m telling you. it will not make a difference. You either have a franchise QB or a QB like foles that plays lights out and catches fire or you don’t. Teams that have the QB win and go to the playoffs every year. teams that do not have a franchise QB, do not go to the playoffs. All you have to do is look at the last 17 years. Put Brady or Rogers on the Bills and were going to the playoffs every year and probably in the Super bowl a couple of times. The pats change players like they change there underware. But there is one constant. Tom Brady. Look what happen to the Packers this year. No Playoffs because they lost Rogers. I can’t believe you guys don’t get this. it’s crazy to keep doing the same thing over and over with no franchise QB and expect a different result. Put Tyrod on the Pats and see how many super bowls there playing in. Put the Jets Kenny O’brien from back in the day on the 1990 through 1994 Bills and we don’t go to those Superbowls. It’s so simple to see what needs to be done. So let’s just keep drafting CB and Linebackers with are 1st 2 picks in round one 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jobot said:

So, can we draft all CB’s and RB’s?  THAT would make things FUN around here!!!  :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 08/03/2018 at 12:38 PM, Jobot said:

I get exactly what you're getting at here...but only partially agree.

It doesn't matter, personally to me who is drafted. I know I have never seen the medical records, sat and talked to, broke film down with or watched even a fraction of the amount of game footage that the scouts, GMs and coaches have. Their livelihood is on the line. If they do the research and feel that a player is the best fit, so be it. As I've said before, I strongly dislike Mason Rudolph, however if he's the guy then I fully support him. I know who I would take but until I'm the GM it matters not.

However, should we take a QB, that is your team leader, your franchise and the guy that everything has to run through. It matters that Beane gets it right, gets the right guy and sticks to whatever plan he has. 

1 hour ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. So now you want a QB. So why post and say it’s does not matter who we draft. Sure it does what if TB took brady in 4th round. Then where would the pats have been. Give me a fracking brake. 

You think Belicheck needs Brady to win a superbowl?  Cause I don't

I like the wild speculating. Obviously I understand the draft will reveal itself when it happens. I also understand that I won't really know if the picks are good until we get to see them in games. 

I believe in what's going on with the Bills. I like to check in on what people think of the new developments. 

I understand what you mean but people are gonna speculate and that makes good reading sometimes for me.

6 hours ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

You are right it does does not matter, we could draft 5 non QB hall of fame players in this draft and we would be no further ahead. The only thing that Matters is getting a top 10 franchise QB that can throw from the pocket in must pass situations. This is all that matters and nothing will change until the Bills take care of the QB position. Will see what happens, they screwed it up last year by passing on Mahomes and Watson. They better get there act together on this QB thing or we might start another 17 year drought of not making the playoffs. 

Superman at QB is not worth beans if the o-line can not keep him on his feet, and if the defense can't stop the other team.  Your logic is that the teams are otherwise matched- then a better QB is important.  Sorry, an ok  QB with a strong supporting cast will beat a good QB with a weak supporting cast ever time.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:38 PM, Jobot said:

A fan message board isn't for folks who don't sweat the details.  

I tailgate before each game with a good dozen or so season ticket holders who never look at Bills news online.......they only catch official team tweets on their phone or read the actual hard copy of TBN........but that's it..........it's OK to be casual about the product.......down for whatever........but this ain't the place for it......you are wasting your time here if you think it is.:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

You have to draft the right players and put them into the right situation. There is also luck with injuries. Look at Goodwin, dude was good when he played but just always got hurt, he goes to the 49ers and puts up a career year and stays healthy. There are also a lot of players that just get drafted into a bad situation, either the scheme doesn't fit their skillset or the coaching isn't good enough to develop them. 

As a fan you don't have control but message boards are made for wild speculation and uneducated opinions. 

Disagree. It Does matter who we draft. It is part of the puzzle. Coaching is one piece, talent is another, scheme is another, culture is another, QB is another, etc.

There's not one thing you can point to to describe a winning team. It takes it all, which is why it is hard to do.

Skill in drafting does make a difference to NFL teams.  It is very possible to pick high in the first round and get a bust.  Buffalo was plagued by poor drafting through most of the current millennium.  Fans can worry about that, or not.  I have lots of interest, but don't worry too awful much since I can't do anything about it.

19 hours ago, MJS said:

Disagree. It Does matter who we draft. It is part of the puzzle. Coaching is one piece, talent is another, scheme is another, culture is another, QB is another, etc.

There's not one thing you can point to to describe a winning team. It takes it all, which is why it is hard to do.

Disagree.  Culture will lead to everything that you mentioned.  Culture puts expectation on every part of an organization.  Culture builds leadership throughout the entire organization.  Culture gives every department purpose and accountability.

The only thing I'll give you is you also need smart people buying into this culture, but everything else trickles down to gameday success.  If you've got a guy at the top to drive culture (which I believe we do in Mcdermott), then everything else will fall into place.

On 3/8/2018 at 4:10 PM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

You must be new. Check out our draft history over the last 20 years and try to catch up to the rest of us

You need to stop living in the past era of subpar Bills drafts.

We now have a competent GM and HC in the house. I am excited to see who they select this year.

• Like (+1) 1