Rams will not tag Watkins

eh.  i was always of the thought that it was very, very unlikely that sammy would be back this year, so i was more than fine getting a second and a player.  in my mind, getting anything is a win for this team.  

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think some people here are going to be surprised to see the contract that Sammy gets. We will hear a lot of, “OMG, that is way too much money for a guy with....” It is very possible that he gets a bigger deal than Landry (assuming Landry signs an extension). Sammy is going to get PAID to be someone’s number 1 WR. I’m thinking in the $14M annually range of Demaryius Thomas deal.

Has anyone ever been denied their 5th year option only to sign a bigger deal deal once the 4th year expired? What was the 5th 11m? 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think some people here are going to be surprised to see the contract that Sammy gets. We will hear a lot of, “OMG, that is way too much money for a guy with....” It is very possible that he gets a bigger deal than Landry (assuming Landry signs an extension). Sammy is going to get PAID to be someone’s number 1 WR. I’m thinking in the $14M annually range of Demaryius Thomas deal.

Agreed. You only need one team who is willing to spend dollars. What stops the Browns from paying him $12-14 million just because they have the cap space to pair him with Josh Gordon.

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

No you're wrong lol and reaching.

look at week 16 Cooper played 98 percent of the snaps and Reynolds played 78. Watkins, Cupp and Woods sat out because they were all clinched up.

the only other times Cooper played 20 percent of the snaps...

Colts game 33 percent, Rams won 46-9

Giants game 20 percent Rams won 51-17

Seattle game 22 percent, Rams won 42-7

week 16, starters sit 98 percent

those are the only games he played over 20 percent of the snaps.

Blowouts happen for every team; if you're going to claim that they're the only reason that LA's WRs played as many snaps as they did, then go ahead and normalize the data for the entire league and get back to me.

What you'll find is that LA plays their receivers in a rotation moreso than any other team.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

~$13M IIRC

Thanks, point still stands with Kirby throwing 14 out there. 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Blowouts happen for every team; if you're going to claim that they're the only reason that LA's WRs played as many snaps as they did, then go ahead and normalize the data for the entire league and get back to me.

What you'll find is that LA plays their receivers in a rotation moreso than any other team.

Bandit look at the percentages for the rest of the games when all 6 guys were healthy. Their is nothing abnormal about it. Surely you can see that. Why do you get so twisted up trying to defend Watkins? The percentages are right there for everyone to see. I mean Cooper played 98 percent of the final game because everyone else was shelved for the postseason. Your not going to admit that skews percentages!? 

17 minutes ago, section122 said:

Does Dak qualify as a franchise qb?  I think the shine really came off of him when Elliott was out last year.  Will be interesting to see if he rebounds this year.

I absolutely agree with the bolded.  I really think San Fran is his ideal landing spot.  

I don’t know if there are any real qualifications which is why I put “franchise” in quotes. But imo it means that the team isn’t one of the ones looking to draft or sign their QB of the future, but rather are seeking to build around him. Dak certainly falls in that category to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Why? We have two solid starters in Benjamin and Jones. Holmes was as good 4th/red zone WR. I think we could see someone come in to be our slot guy and replace Tate as our return man. To me Bruce Ellington be a perfect fit, In terms of draft Braxton Barrios might be the best option late. 

Zay Jones is considered a "solid starter" now? Based on what? I'm sure someone will say he was injured but he's got potential. Parcells used to say potential means you ain't done anything yet. A team banking on Zay Jones as a 2nd WR is gambling big time.

Buffalo has no dependable stretch the field receiver. All of them are short to intermediate types.

And Holmes? He caught 3 TDs last year and 13 passes. He's not what I'd consider "good" as a 4th/RZ WR.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Has anyone ever been denied their 5th year option only to sign a bigger deal deal once the 4th year expired? What was the 5th 11m? 

Not sure about that, but iirc the cost of Sammy's 5yo would have been 14 M based on his draft position. 

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Thanks, point still stands with Kirby throwing 14 out there. 

Bandit look at the percentages for the rest of the games when all 6 guys were healthy. Their is nothing abnormal about it. Surely you can see that. Why do you get so twisted up trying to defend Watkins? The percentages are right there for everyone to see. I mean Cooper played 98 percent of the final game because everyone else was shelved for the postseason. Your not going to admit that skews percentages!? 

It has zero to do with defending a player and everything to do with looking at the way they run their offense.

My comment about McVay's approach has zero to do with Watkins' performance, and everything to do with his innovation in how he rotates his wide-outs.  You won't find another team that rolls 6 WRs the way he does; why is that so hard to accept?

Even Pittsburgh, who has arguably a more talented WR corps, and was involved in their fair share of blowouts in 2017 (in both directions), didn't run anywhere near the rotation that LA did.

Regardless, the point I made at the onset of the discussion was that I don't see any justification for saying that Buffalo won the trade.  So far, nobody has provided one.

If I have time in the next little while, I'll see about putting together a league-wide analysis of WR snap share with situational context and make a thread about it.  It probably will have to wait until after the draft since draft prep is football priority #1 at the moment.

22 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nah, that was actually a pretty good look. Know what a genuinely selfish guy does there? He doesn't even think those things, much less say them out loud. Did we ever hear T.O. saying stuff like that? This is a young kid growing up.

And there's no indication whatsoever there that he was dogging it. 

The concerns about Sammy are production, injuries and the price it would take to bring him in.

A quote where he says he was selfish and it hurt his relations with his teammates and coaches is a good look for you?  I admit learning from it is nice but during his time here he apparently caused issues with other players and coaches.  Hopefully he has matured beyond that but again during his time HERE he wasn't.

18 minutes ago, wppete said:

I remember his Head Coach at Clemson Dabo Swinney called him the Michael Jordan of football before he got drafted. Doug Whaley & Co. bought it. 

I'm pretty sure that quote was about Deshaun Watson

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know if there are any real qualifications which is why I put “franchise” in quotes. But imo it means that the team isn’t one of the ones looking to draft or sign their QB of the future, but rather are seeking to build around him. Dak certainly falls in that category to me.

Wow this might be my favorite definition of franschise QB I've seen.  Well done! :beer:

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It has zero to do with defending a player and everything to do with looking at the way they run their offense.

My comment about McVay's approach has zero to do with Watkins' performance, and everything to do with his innovation in how he rotates his wide-outs.  You won't find another team that rolls 6 WRs the way he does; why is that so hard to accept?

Even Pittsburgh, who has arguably a more talented WR corps, and was involved in their fair share of blowouts in 2017 (in both directions), didn't run anywhere near the rotation that LA did.

Regardless, the point I made at the onset of the discussion was that I don't see any justification for saying that Buffalo won the trade.  So far, nobody has provided one.

If I have time in the next little while, I'll see about putting together a league-wide analysis of WR snap share with situational context and make a thread about it.  It probably will have to wait until after the draft since draft prep is football priority #1 at the moment.

Here are a points straight from McVay that are lost on too many here:

Speaking at the NFL Scouting Combine, Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay largely blamed himself for Watkins' poor production (593 receiving yards) in 2017. McVay said the team could have done a better job scheming plays for the former Billstop-five pick, noted the coverage Watkins drew and felt it was difficult for him to join the Rams with so little time before the season. McVay made a point of expressing that Watkins played a key role in the larger L.A. passing game.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The Bills made the playoffs for the first time i this century.  I don’t know what Gaines’ record was as a starter for the Bills this year, but it was very very good,  when he didn’t play, I don’t have the exact numbers as I sit on the pot and take a dump, but I don’t think we won 2 games without Gaines.  Did we win any?  And now we have a 2nd rd pick.  I view that as more valuable because the Bills ending the drought was the Bills best case scenario in 2017.  We had no business winning the SB.  Our season was as good as it was going to get with what we were working with.  The rams season was as good as it was going to get.  Now we have a 2nd rd pick and they have a potential headache. 

Sammy was my favorite player,  I was pretty devastated when we traded him for Gaines and a 2nd.  I didn’t think there was any way the trade would help us improve in 2018.  I was wrong.  We improved and we now have a 2nd rd pick.  Sammy wasn’t going to fit with McD.  The actions by the Bills support this notion.  Didn’t franchise him and then traded him shortly thereafter.  Like I said before, I don’t believe both teams have to lose.  In this case both teams won.....but our win was signature and will be remembered forever in our hearts.  Forever.

Bills were 8-3 with Gaines in the lineup. Pretty impressive IMO. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here are a points straight from Mcvay that are lost on too many here:

Speaking at the NFL Scouting Combine, Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay largely blamed himself for Watkins' poor production (593 receiving yards) in 2017. McVay said the team could have done a better job scheming plays for the former Billstop-five pick, noted the coverage Watkins drew and felt it was difficult for him to join the Rams with so little time before the season. McVay made a point of expressing that Watkins played a key role in the larger L.A. passing game.

Ahh, yes, the Decoy! What a hill you've chosen to die on.

If a player needs just the right Qb and just the right scheme....they are a role player...not a superstar.

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1