Rams will not tag Watkins

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is the Rams' HC who is quoted. Your "argument" is with him.  But, who cares what he says when you obviously know better. 

How often does a coach criticize a player's performance and if they did, what is in it for them?  McVay is saying what he has to.  I'm not saying he thinks Watkins sucks, but there is absolutely no benefit to criticize him, while there is a benefit to talking him up.  The McVay quote shouldn't be given too much credence as to how he really sees Watkins as a player.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

23 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The comments may have killed goodwill ( if there was any) amongst idiots who found it OK to harass the guy on social media about an injury or those who could see themselves doing the same thing if only they had the time. More objective thinkers probably found his response to these cretins humorous and saw it as them getting their " comeuppance". It is of little consequence now, but I still laugh at Sammy putting these losers in their rightful place. Good for him and I'm sure he'll land on his feet and do just fine. 

Oooh nice humblebrag while simultaneously calling dissenting opinions idiots. You sound like a real fun person. I'm supposed to feel bad for the millionaire player who wasn't living up to his draft status? Is he somehow the only NFL player who gets trolled? Because I don't see every other NFL player talking crap to the fans. Football isn't some noble calling, it's a distraction, a form of entertainment. Without fans there would be no NFL. Biting the hand that feeds you shows awful judgment and I have no reason to feel sorry for the kid.  

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Oooh nice humblebrag while simultaneously calling dissenting opinions idiots. You sound like a real fun person. 

we're not talking opinions, but rather actions.

it's not like these people had a civil discussion. they went out of their way to hurl insults and verbally attack an athlete, because of their performance. the behavior of some fans is disgusting. I'm not sure if people deem the behavior "ok" because these athletes are making some serious money, but regardless, it's not civil behavior.

Just now, 87168 said:

we're not talking opinions, but rather actions.

it's not like these people had a civil discussion. they went out of their way to hurl insults and verbally attack an athlete, because of their performance. the behavior of some fans is disgusting. I'm not sure if people deem the behavior "ok" because these athletes are making some serious money, but regardless, it's not civil behavior.

He had no control over the stupidity of trolls. Trolls will troll, that's what they do. He DID have control over his reaction and his reaction was ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

He had no control over the stupidity of trolls. Trolls will troll, that's what they do. He DID have control over his reaction and his reaction was ridiculous. 

He was a 22-year old kid that made a mistake on social media.  It's been 2.5 years; time to let it go.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

He was a 22-year old kid that made a mistake on social media.  It's been 2.5 years; time to let it go.

I called him an idiot for posting something in the past. Don't make my words out to be more than they were. I don't get all you guys who run around defending players on the board like they're your best friend and you have to defend their honor. You white knights are ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would LOVE to resign Watkins.  What a coup that would be...would be like we loaned him to the rams for a 2nd round pick and Gaines lol.  

Personally, I think he will go to San Francisco, and I also think he should.  He will be huge there with Jimmy G and the focal point of the passing game.  Easily could put up 1400+ yards, 90+ catches, and 10+ TD's there with Jimmy G (assuming Jimmy G doesn't flop and keeps playing well).

But man I would be stoked if he came back.  Just don't think he will nor do I think Beane will pay for him to do so with KB and ZJ here, unless they lost confidence in ZJ which I doubt they have yet.  

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

I called him an idiot for posting something in the past. Don't make my words out to be more than they were. I don't get all you guys who run around defending players on the board like they're your best friend and you have to defend their honor. You white knights are ridiculous. 

Way to take it personally dude.

I love how someone is a "white knight" for pointing out that a 22-year old kid lashing out on social media isn't that big of a deal.

What's ridiculous is expecting every kid to act like a mature adult after he gets handed millions of dollars to play a game.

Not that it means much but a few weeks back someone tweeted something at him like, "Yo, come back to Buffalo and help us win this AFC East!" And he responded with, "You never know, this is a crazy business." His Twitter avatar is him in a Bills uniform. Again, doesn't mean much. But it could signify that if the Bills did call, he'd listen. During the season he sounded like he turned the corner in the maturity department a little bit. But on the other hand, if I'm him and a team trades up to get me, and I go out in my first game and get used as a decoy and don't have any targets, I'm probably saying something too. I'd be confused as hell. "This team traded an extra first round pick to draft me, and now they want me to just take coverage off the other receivers? Eff that, I want the ball." He's a receiver, they all want the ball. I really didn't have an issue when he spoke out about needing more targets. Hearing about him being bummed that his stats were low even in a victory is just immaturity and it seems to be something he's gotten over.

I think the early injuries he suffered as a rookie have stuck in his head since then and he hasn't been able to fully shake it and play fast and loose like he should. Just my assumption. He'll get paid somewhere. 99.4% chance it will not be in Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Not that it means much but a few weeks back someone tweeted something at him like, "Yo, come back to Buffalo and help us win this AFC East!" And he responded with, "You never know, this is a crazy business." His Twitter avatar is him in a Bills uniform. Again, doesn't mean much. But it could signify that if the Bills did call, he'd listen. During the season he sounded like he turned the corner in the maturity department a little bit. But on the other hand, if I'm him and a team trades up to get me, and I go out in my first game and get used as a decoy and don't have any targets, I'm probably saying something too. I'd be confused as hell. "This team traded an extra first round pick to draft me, and now they want me to just take coverage off the other receivers? Eff that, I want the ball." He's a receiver, they all want the ball. I really didn't have an issue when he spoke out about needing more targets. Hearing about him being bummed that his stats were low even in a victory is just immaturity and it seems to be something he's gotten over.

I think the early injuries he suffered as a rookie have stuck in his head since then and he hasn't been able to fully shake it and play fast and loose like he should. Just my assumption. He'll get paid somewhere. 99.4% chance it will not be in Buffalo.

I'm not on twitter so I might be missing something but this is the avatar I'm seeing.

King me

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Some pro athletes think they are ultra competitive but they are not.  Watkins has all the talent in the world, but his lack of competitiveness prevents him from being the player that he should be.  He wants to win of course, but how far is he willing to go to win?  I don't remember who it was against, but last season there was a play where Watkins had pretty much a sure TD but he would have had to take a  bit of a hit to get the ball.  Instead of attacking the ball, he alligator armed it and it was incomplete.  

By the time  you get to the NFL you have that competitive edge or you don't.  It's not something you can think about and then go do, imo it is instinctual.  Like anything else in sports, if you have to think about what you are going to do next, it is already too late.  Imagine if Sammy Watkins played the game like Steve Smith.  He would be unstoppable.  Sammy isn't soft necessarily, but he is definitely not an all out competitor who will put his body on the line to win.  People may disagree but I don't see that in  him.  That is why I would never give Watkins big money.  You can't break the bank for those type of players. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

The Bills won the trade and it's not even debatable.  For starters, both players involved in the traded are likely gone from their new teams, so that's a wash, but it's far more likely that Gaines gets a bigger deal than Sammy, which helps the Bills in the comp pick formula. Another way the Bills won is that I doubt you'll find anyone who will say that Sammy was a key part of the Rams making the playoffs, whereas almost no one would say that Gaines wasn't a major part of the Bills making the playoffs.  And lastly, the Bills got a 2nd rounder out of it; and while hitting with the pick would be gravy, it doesn't change them winning the trade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

You did say 22 right?  For a minute there I thought you were talking about a 12 year old kid, not a 22 year old MAN/ADULT!

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills won the trade and it's not even debatable.  For starters, both players involved in the traded are likely gone from their new teams, so that's a wash, but it's far more likely that Gaines gets a bigger deal than Sammy, which helps the Bills in the comp pick formula. Another way the Bills won is that I doubt you'll find anyone who will say that Sammy was a key part of the Rams making the playoffs, whereas almost no one would say that Gaines wasn't a major part of the Bills making the playoffs.  And lastly, the Bills got a 2nd rounder out of it; and while hitting with the pick would be gravy, it doesn't change them winning the trade. 

I don't think it's likely that Watkins is gone from LA; it's possible though.

It's also not likely that Gaines gets a bigger deal than Watkins.  Gaines has been a starter for less than 2 full seasons, and has missed far more time than Watkins.

I also can't understand how a guy that started 16 games, played WR1 snaps, and lead the team in receiving TDs is less of a factor than a guy that missed 5 full games and parts of 3 others (totaling less than 60% of his teams defensive snaps).

Like I said: it's hardly clear that either team won the trade, but it's certainly debatable on both sides.

31 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think it's likely that Watkins is gone from LA; it's possible though.

It's also not likely that Gaines gets a bigger deal than Watkins.  Gaines has been a starter for less than 2 full seasons, and has missed far more time than Watkins.

I also can't understand how a guy that started 16 games, played WR1 snaps, and lead the team in receiving TDs is less of a factor than a guy that missed 5 full games and parts of 3 others (totaling less than 60% of his teams defensive snaps).

Like I said: it's hardly clear that either team won the trade, but it's certainly debatable on both sides.

I explained this all before. You can pick and choose a few stats that paint Watkins in a positive light, but the bottom line is that he was a disappointment for LA this year. He was their 3rd most important WR and 4th most important RB/WR. 

But whether or not Gaines was better for us than Watkins was for them is really a moot point today. We both made the playoffs, both players are now free agents, and we pocketed a 2nd round pick. Easy win for us. 

20 minutes ago, SoFFacet said:

I explained this all before. You can pick and choose a few stats that paint Watkins in a positive light, but the bottom line is that he was a disappointment for LA this year. He was their 3rd most important WR and 4th most important RB/WR

But whether or not Gaines was better for us than Watkins was for them is really a moot point today. We both made the playoffs, both players are now free agents, and we pocketed a 2nd round pick. Easy win for us. 

No.

He lead the team in receiving TDs and had the highest YPC of any of their WRs; that does not relegate him to their 4th most important RB/WR just because you think it does.

He drew the opponent's coverage focus all season--he gets less cushion than all but 4 other WRs in the NFL; the WR that caught the most passes gets the most cushion--that's not a coincidence (especially not when the team has a QB with an average intended air yards figure that ranks 22nd in the NFL--behind the likes of Tyrod Taylor and Trevor Siemien).  It's also worth noting that Goff is a pretty timid QB in terms of throwing into coverage; NextGenStats indicates that he ranks 37th out of 41 qualifying QBs in % of passing attempts thrown into tight coverage (so defined as having a defender within 1 yard of the target at the time of the attempt).

Watkins was both the team's best deep threat and the team's best red zone receiver.  You seem to believe that big plays and TDs are of less value to them than chain-movers, which is fine, but definitely debatable.

Also, no, both players are not free agents.  Right now, both players are property of their respective teams until March 14th (absent a new deal).  All we know at the moment is that one team has signed a guy (V. Davis) that appears to be one of their replacements.  What we've been told, however, is that the other team will try to keep the other player.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Thank you (+1) 3