Rams will not tag Watkins

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Why did anyone believe they were going to use the tag on a 3rd receiver? 

I never thought they would, but the only explanation would be to save face on the trade. They gave away a 2nd rd pick on a 1-yr rental who wasn’t even an essential piece to their offense. It’s very poor roster management and planning if they lose him. Ideally, they can re-sign him. But the offense that is predicated by Goff’s strengths isn’t the best fit for Watkins’ strengths. The offense McVay ran in Washington with Cousins would have been a nicer fit.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

y’all mad and I’m not get a life and goto work stop worrying about my job because I’m good on this end and forever will be losers most of you just wish to be in this position so continue working y’all little jobs for the rest of y’all lives 

Still love that quote. It's spot on till this day. Only a total loser would dog a player on social media for being injured and spending time with his family at a park. The cost to tag a safety is 10 mil and a WR is 14 or so. Not a surprise by the Rams, I wouldn't be shocked if SW ends up a 49er though. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is the Rams' HC who is quoted. Your "argument" is with him.  But, who cares what he says when you obviously know better. 

Color me shocked that the coach didn't come out and say, "He wasn't what we thought he'd be..."

just curious...how many teams, qbs, schemes before it's Sammy's fault?

Just now, thebandit27 said:

It has zero to do with defending a player and everything to do with looking at the way they run their offense.

My comment about McVay's approach has zero to do with Watkins' performance, and everything to do with his innovation in how he rotates his wide-outs.  You won't find another team that rolls 6 WRs the way he does; why is that so hard to accept?

Even Pittsburgh, who has arguably a more talented WR corps, and was involved in their fair share of blowouts in 2017 (in both directions), didn't run anywhere near the rotation that LA did.

Regardless, the point I made at the onset of the discussion was that I don't see any justification for saying that Buffalo won the trade.  So far, nobody has provided one.

If I have time in the next little while, I'll see about putting together a league-wide analysis of WR snap share with situational context and make a thread about it.  It probably will have to wait until after the draft since draft prep is football priority #1 at the moment.

That's fine but for it to be accurate it would have to take in to consideration total snaps taken at WR for each team. That would be hard to do. Some teams like LA have more receivers on the field on average than a team like Buffalo. 

I look forward to the draft stuff from you.

27 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Has anyone ever been denied their 5th year option only to sign a bigger deal deal once the 4th year expired? What was the 5th 11m? 

I am not sure but watch. There is a lot of cap space from receiver needy teams and a thin draft class. In addition, his current team wants him badly. Their division rival will also be in on him. Sammy is going to get PAID. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here are a points straight from McVay that are lost on too many here:

Speaking at the NFL Scouting Combine, Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay largely blamed himself for Watkins' poor production (593 receiving yards) in 2017. McVay said the team could have done a better job scheming plays for the former Billstop-five pick, noted the coverage Watkins drew and felt it was difficult for him to join the Rams with so little time before the season. McVay made a point of expressing that Watkins played a key role in the larger L.A. passing game.

Lol .. let's not let the facts get in the way of a good crusade. Could he have been better? Yes, however watching their games would reveal a different story more in line with what McVay says here. SW also led the Rams WRs in TDs. If Goff had developed a chemistry with him rather than so many underneath throws to others it could have been quite a few more. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Lol .. let's not let the facts get in the way of a good crusade. Could he have been better? Yes, however watching their games would reveal a different story more in line with what McVay says here. SW also led the Rams WRs in TDs. If Goff had developed a chemistry with him rather than so many underneath throws to others it could have been quite a few more. 

It's not as if many on here, including me, haven't said the very same things.  Easier to look at box scores and reach conclusions.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

No matter where he goes, I don't think he's gonna end up with huge money. The talent is there, but what has he done in this league? 

This^. In 4 years his best season was 1047 yards, 60 receptions, and 9 TDS.

Like you said, has talent, but is overrated and is injury prone

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I am not sure but watch. There is a lot of cap space from receiver needy teams and a thin draft class. In addition, his current team wants him badly. Their division rival will also be in on him. Sammy is going to get PAID. 

I have no doubt he will get OVERPAID. Premium position and a lack of options for teams. I'm not convinced the Rams ever really considered using the tag on him, they tried to use the leverage of the tag is my guess. Rams have so many outlets for Goff paying top dollar for a WR wouldn't make much sense.

His agent should be calling Lynch asap. Jimmy has a pretty deep ball and Watkins loves the splash plays.

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

That's fine but for it to be accurate it would have to take in to consideration total snaps taken at WR for each team. That would be hard to do. Some teams like LA have more receivers on the field on average than a team like Buffalo. 

I look forward to the draft stuff from you.

The way I would look at it is this:

Total number of offensive plays vs. snaps taken by each WR across the league.  Toss out games with significant shortness of available WRs or blowouts and go from there.

Of course, once the raw data were compiled, you'd have to go back and look for key points of statistical significance and outliers, which is why it's a project that will likely have to wait until summer.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

y’all mad and I’m not get a life and goto work stop worrying about my job because I’m good on this end and forever will be losers most of you just wish to be in this position so continue working y’all little jobs for the rest of y’all lives 

His college education served him well.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The way I would look at it is this:

Total number of offensive plays vs. snaps taken by each WR across the league.  Toss out games with significant shortness of available WRs or blowouts and go from there.

Of course, once the raw data were compiled, you'd have to go back and look for key points of statistical significance and outliers, which is why it's a project that will likely have to wait until summer.

Yeah when I was going through the Rams stuff I had those thoughts but it would definetly be a ton of work. The results would be interesting and it would make for a great discussion but I'd feel pain for anyone compiling all that info!

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I have no doubt he will get OVERPAID. Premium position and a lack of options for teams. I'm not convinced the Rams ever really considered using the tag on him, they tried to use the leverage of the tag is my guess. Rams have so many outlets for Goff paying top dollar for a WR wouldn't make much sense.

His agent should be calling Lynch asap. Jimmy has a pretty deep ball and Watkins loves the splash plays.

The 49ers, Bears, Jets and Browns all have lots of space and a massive need. Sammy is going to get a really big deal and people here will be surprised. Watkins and Gordon with Barkley would be a ridiculous start for a young QB. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Jeffery took a 1yr deal with Philly for 9.5 million in 2017.  Also had injury problems, but was a big-time red zone target for a young QB.  Any team with a young QB and missing a #1 will probably target him. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The 49ers, Bears, Jets and Browns all have lots of space and a massive need. Sammy is going to get a really big deal and people here will be surprised. Watkins and Gordon with Barkley would be a ridiculous start for a young QB. 

Throw JAX, KC, DET, even maybe dallas if they walk from Dez, or ZONA depending on who they get into the mix.  Maybe baltimore.  Teams are always looking for speed at receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not as if many on here, including me, haven't said the very same things.  Easier to look at box scores and reach conclusions.

Here is how I look at it.

Every good/great receiver (I am not sure what you categorize Watkins and I don't want to put words in your mouth) can have a bad season.

But good/great receivers don't have 4 years in a row in which they have underperformed. 

Deandre Hopkins has had some of the worse offences/QBS an he still balls every single year.

If you look at good/great receivers, they have poor season by their standards, but they don't have back to back season under 600 yards and 40 catches. That really is mediocre/bad.

While to your point I am sure there were factors that played a role in his poor numbers.

But the reality is good receivers put up good numbers on a consistent basis, and it is rare they will have 1 bad season in terms of stats, nevertheless 3-4 in 4 years

Edited by billsfan11

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Sammy's best statistical year to this point was the first year he and Tyrod played together. And he did it in 13 games, to boot.

I didnt look at the stats - but I remember from the three way preseason QB competition between Tyrod, Cassell and Ej Manuel that Ej was hitting Sammy consistently while Tyrod was missing him a lot. But it no doubt improved enough for me to make my point that Sammy might have some chemistry with Tyrod.

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Here is how I look at it.

Every good/great receiver (I am not sure what you categorize Watkins and I don't want to put words in your mouth) can have a bad season.

But good/great receivers don't have 4 years in a row in which they have underperformed. 

Deandre Hopkins has had some of the worse offences/QBS an he still balls every single year.

If you look at good/great receivers, they have poor season by their standards, but they don't have back to back season under 600 yards and 40 catches. That really is mediocre/bad.

While to your point I am sure there were factors that played in a role in his poor numbers.

But the reality is good receivers put up good numbers on a consistent basis, and it is rare they will have 1 bad season in terms of stats, nevertheless 3-4 in 4 years

You're actually saying he under performed in his 1st two seasons when he caught 125 passes for over 2000 yards with 15 TDs?

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You're actually saying he under performed in his 1st two seasons when he caught 125 passes for over 2000 yards with 15 TDs?

For the 4th pick off the board, yes.

If you are going to get a guy that high, you want better numbers than that. Like AJ Green for example.

I just don't think he has or will ever live up to his hype/talent when he was coming out of College