Rams will not tag Watkins

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I never expected them to tag him, that would have been dumb. I don't think he will get anything close to what a tag would have cost.

Exactly. Did anyone think he would get tagged based on last year? The trade to get rid of him looks a lot better than the trade to get him. 

Having said that, I still think he has special tools and I don’t know why he doesn’t produce more. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
Just now, Augie said:

Exactly. Did anyone think he would get tagged based on last year? The trade to get rid of him looks a lot better than the trade to get him. 

Having said that, I still think he has special tools and I don’t know why he doesn’t produce more. 

Take a look at the clip I linked above.  Even if he doesn't know it, he doesn't care about winning enough to be great.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Oops.  I meant to say his record WAS very good. My mistake.  

It's all good. I'm pretty sure you did say that the record was good with Gaines. 

At least that's what I thought you said, since I was agreeing with you... lol

I was just giving you the record with him in the lineup vs out of the lineup because you said you couldn't remember what the exact numbers were. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think it's likely that Watkins is gone from LA; it's possible though.

It's also not likely that Gaines gets a bigger deal than Watkins.  Gaines has been a starter for less than 2 full seasons, and has missed far more time than Watkins.

I also can't understand how a guy that started 16 games, played WR1 snaps, and lead the team in receiving TDs is less of a factor than a guy that missed 5 full games and parts of 3 others (totaling less than 60% of his teams defensive snaps).

Like I said: it's hardly clear that either team won the trade, but it's certainly debatable on both sides.

My hunches are that a) he's peeved that they didn't tag him, so he'll test FA and move on and b) the Rams don't view him as a key piece of the offense and will only re-sign him to a deal similar to what Woods got.  We shall see though.

As for Gaines, I can see the argument that his injury issues will prevent him from getting more money than Sammy.  Again a hunch that we'll see about.

But again, the Bills at least have the Rams' 2nd round pick.  Hopefully they get a good player with it. 

1 minute ago, QCity said:

It really wasn't even a debate 7 months ago.

Without seeing the results of the season, I disagree.   But not strongly.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not on twitter so I might be missing something but this is the avatar I'm seeing.

King me

Ah, he has clearly changed it since the last time I saw, but all through the season it was him in a Bills uni. Well, either way, good luck to the guy.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How did the Bills win the trade when their receivers were BY FAR the worst group in the league?

Watkins was the teams ONLY legitimate option and only NFL receiver on the team before the trade.

Oh right. That was all Tyrods fault.

How?  Because the Bills still made the playoffs without him and got a 2nd round pick, and they would have let him go anyway this year (like the Rams appear set to do).

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No.

He lead the team in receiving TDs and had the highest YPC of any of their WRs; that does not relegate him to their 4th most important RB/WR just because you think it does.

He drew the opponent's coverage focus all season--he gets less cushion than all but 4 other WRs in the NFL; the WR that caught the most passes gets the most cushion--that's not a coincidence (especially not when the team has a QB with an average intended air yards figure that ranks 22nd in the NFL--behind the likes of Tyrod Taylor and Trevor Siemien).  It's also worth noting that Goff is a pretty timid QB in terms of throwing into coverage; NextGenStats indicates that he ranks 37th out of 41 qualifying QBs in % of passing attempts thrown into tight coverage (so defined as having a defender within 1 yard of the target at the time of the attempt).

Watkins was both the team's best deep threat and the team's best red zone receiver.  You seem to believe that big plays and TDs are of less value to them than chain-movers, which is fine, but definitely debatable.

Also, no, both players are not free agents.  Right now, both players are property of their respective teams until March 14th (absent a new deal).  All we know at the moment is that one team has signed a guy (V. Davis) that appears to be one of their replacements.  What we've been told, however, is that the other team will try to keep the other player.

I have problems with the way this issue is being discussed and framed i.e. who got the better of the deal. It worked out for us and I believe that it worked out for the Rams. The Bills didn't have to sign him so they created cap space at the time and in the future. If the Bills use the acquired second round pick into a good player or use it in a deal to get a qb then that certainly should factor in to the calculation of what the benefit of the deal was. 

As you  keenly observed with Watkins the stats don't tell the full story. His presence certainly had a positive effect on the other receivers. Because he was the big play threat he also opened up the field for the qb, receivers and even for the running game. 

Odds are that Watkins is going to remain with the Rams while Gaines is more likely to leave. The Bills already have a replacement in Davis. It seems that this deal worked out well for both franchises and the evaluation process is still on going. 

I'm a fan of Sammys talent and wished it had worked out here. 

I've just checked Spotrac and they say his market value is for 3 yrs about 6 Million a year. I 've also heard numbers much higher thrown around like 16M year.

My question to people is put yourself out there and a simple how much would YOU pay him per year?

Personally, 16M is too much for the Bills. I think the 3 and 6/yr is low. I would pay him something like 9M.

So there it is 9M/yr for me......What say you????

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I have problems with the way this issue is being discussed and framed i.e. who got the better of the deal. It worked out for us and I believe that it worked out for the Rams. The Bills didn't have to sign him so they created cap space at the time and in the future. If the Bills use the acquired second round pick into a good player or use it in a deal to get a qb then that certainly should factor in to the calculation of what the benefit of the deal was. 

As you  keenly observed with Watkins the stats don't tell the full story. His presence certainly had a positive effect on the other receivers. Because he was the big play threat he also opened up the field for the qb, receivers and even for the running game. 

Odds are that Watkins is going to remain with the Rams while Gaines is more likely to leave. The Bills already have a replacement in Davis. It seems that this deal worked out well for both franchises and the evaluation process is still on going. 

If the Rams feel he's truly a positive player in their offense, they'll re-sign him.  But I'd put the odds very low they do.

3 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I've just checked Spotrac and they say his market value is for 3 yrs about 6 Million a year. I 've also heard numbers much higher thrown around like 16M year.

My question to people is put yourself out there and a simple how much would YOU pay him per year?

Personally, 16M is too much for the Bills. I think the 3 and 6/yr is low. I would pay him something like 9M.

No one is saying $16M/year.  Except for maybe Sammy's camp.

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

SF, he is going to SF....

A hunch of course, but I am sure it would be nice to give Jimmy a shiny new WR - and they have a shitload of money under the cap...

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

If the Rams feel he's truly a positive player in their offense, they'll re-sign him.  But I'd put the odds very low they do.

I disagree with you. There is a good chance that he re-signs with them on a short deal. He's in a good situation playing on a team with a good qb. That will allow him to garner better stats and better position himself for his next contract. If he does leave I see San Fran as a good landing spot for him. 

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

SF, he is going to SF....

A hunch of course, but I am sure it would be nice to give Jimmy a shiny new WR - and they have a shitload of money under the cap...

You may be right. The Alpha Dog who is lives on the left coast has predicted that is where he would go. However, I think he is going to stay in LA.

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

No one is saying $16M/year.  Except for maybe Sammy's camp.

Nobody ever says what they are willing to pay! Very different than oh he'll get blah blah because  blah blah.blah.

23 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

$0.00  He would never be a Bill again if it was up to me, not a team player.

Edited by Turk71
  • Thank you (+1) 2