Bills need all 8 picks in the draft to get better.

Casmo

We have four picks in the first 56 picks - potentially all starters if we have the right scout personnel to guide Beane.  QBs are at high price in this draft, since everybody is slobbering over them. Let's not draft a QB.  Listen Tyrod can manage the game and has a winning record when a starter, so let's get some lineman and backers, possible receiver and get better.  

Doug Whaley traded up and it hurt us for a few years. Lets not do that again unless it is a sure thing and a missing piece.  We have several needs especially our O-line and D-lines.  Matthews and Benjamin will be at full strength too.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Casmo said:

We have four picks in the first 56 picks - potentially all starters if we have the right scout personnel to guide Beane.  QBs are at high price in this draft, since everybody is slobbering over them. Let's not draft a QB.  Listen Tyrod can manage the game and has a winning record when a starter, so let's get some lineman and backers, possible receiver and get better.  

Doug Whaley traded up and it hurt us for a few years. Lets not do that again unless it is a sure thing and a missing piece.  We have several needs especially our O-line and D-lines.  Matthews and Benjamin will be at full strength too.

:lol:

he can "manage a game."

Let's shoot for the moon while we're at it huh?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Casmo said:

This thread is not going to go well for you my friend.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Casmo said:

Buddy?  Buddy Nix?  Is that you?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

So "Tyrod can manage a game?"  He did  managed three points against the Jags. He is abysmal in the fourth quarter when the game is on the line. If your vision for the Bills is a perpetual 8 & 8 scenario, yes let's let Tyrod manage the game and use all our picks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

So "Tyrod can manage a game?"  He did  managed three points against the Jags. He is abysmal in the fourth quarter when the game is on the line. If your vision for the Bills is a perpetual 8 & 8 scenario, yes let's let Tyrod manage the game and use all our picks.

The "PLEASE DONT TRADE UP FOR A QB" cottage industry is rolling strong lately.

6 minutes ago, Casmo said:

I don't understand why you and some others act as if building the Bills into a perennial contender has to be accomplished in one offseason.  Beane is on the record as saying that acquiring a franchise QB is his primary responsibility as the GM and that will be the key to building a team that contends for championships on a sustained basis. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

It’s really expensive to trade up high in the first round. I don’t think it’s worth it however I really do like Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield. It’s going to be an interesting draft that’s for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

Unless the new scouting staff and Beane are sure their QB will be there at 21 this is the draft to try and trade up. The price will be high bidding against other teams needing a QB. I just hope the Browns sign Cousins and trade us #4. Another trade up to #2 if the Giants rather rebuild around Eli and take a QB later.

Pat Schurmur did wonders with Foles and Keenum.

Edited by ALF

I am not willing to wait any longer to keep kicking the bucket on a QB.

KC probably has their future franchise QB, Same with Houston. 2 guys we could have had last year. I assume the move they made was to be able to make a bold move this year (they probably didn't expect to be drafting in the 20's though)

if we sit back and not make a move 4 other teams might just have the face of their franchise as well. 

So let's wait, draft a qb next year. Is it supposed to be a good qb class like this year?  Or maybe there is no one as high in that class as this year. So now we are waiting 2 years. Then have him sit a year to learn. So in reality lets wait another 3 years to get this going. 

Not to mention in that time, Brees, Big Ben and Brady will soon be exiting and we will be competing with us looking for a qb.

Start the process now with the hope of our guy starting in 2019!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I want Rudolph at 21. He's going to rise up draft boards and should be within striking distance, we likely won't have to move. It's not that I think Darnold or Rosen aren't worth it (they are), I just think Rudolph is a franchise QB and we can keep all of our picks. Smart, awesome size, mobile, great deep ball. Listen to this guy in interviews, the way he handles the press, he is a professional and sounds like a 10 year vet. Any issue Rudolph has can be corrected, he can be taught and is teachable.

If they really Billieve in a QB I am ok with trading up.

They are going to need to fill some of the holes in FA though.

If they don't trade up I won't get my shorts in a knot over it.

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I want Rudolph at 21. He's going to rise up draft boards and should be within striking distance, we likely won't have to move. It's not that I think Darnold or Rosen aren't worth it (they are), I just think Rudolph is a franchise QB and we can keep all of our picks. Smart, awesome size, mobile, great deep ball. Listen to this guy in interviews, the way he handles the press, he is a professional and sounds like a 10 year vet. Any issue Rudolph has can be corrected, he can be taught and is teachable.

IMO that means you want the Bills to still be looking for their franchise QB in another year or two after it becomes evident that Rudolph isn't that guy. 

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Well, this sounds like my my cue to speak up.   seems that both 1sts and our 2nd gets us barely to the top 10, leaves us with a high first , a second, third, a fourth and two 5ths.  If they really like a couple guys and one of them falls to 10, which could easily happen as all the QBs have some issue or other (there are no Andrew Lucks in this draft) , they have the ammo to go get him and still end up with 6 picks in the top 166 players.   That is a really good result,  get three starters in all likelihood and you get a QB you really  like.   and 8&8 Forever is no longer.   Agree? 

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

IMO that means you want the Bills to still be looking for their franchise QB in another year or two after it becomes evident that Rudolph isn't that guy. 

I'm not going to put you down for having a different opinion, I have my reasons, none of which you countered with anything of substance.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I'm not going to put you down for having a different opinion, I have my reasons, none of which you countered with anything of substance.

I already stated why I'm not high on him elsewhere.  He simply doesn't perform like or possess the talent of a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I already stated why I'm not high on him elsewhere.  He simply doesn't perform like or possess the talent of a franchise QB.

I don't mind that you have an opinion, but to state it as fact is highly annoying. Please don't be the TBD version of Mel Kiper or we can't be friends.

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I don't mind that you have an opinion, but to state it as fact is highly annoying. Please don't be the TBD version of Mel Kiper or we can't be friends.

:huh: You must have missed the fact that my initial response to you began with IMO. Reading is fundamental. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: You must have missed the fact that my initial response to you began with IMO. Reading is fundamental. 

Just seems like really strong language to be using, nobody knows, not even pro scouts or NFL GMs. I'm agnostic towards Allen, Mayfield and Jackson but I won't flat out say they won't be a franchise QB because I don't know. In the right scenario I'd take any QB in the draft if the talent to draft ratio lines up. I wouldn't just that out take a top prospect off my board and say he sucks or won't be a franchise QB.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Just seems like really strong language to be using, nobody knows, not even pro scouts or NFL GMs. I'm agnostic towards Allen, Mayfield and Jackson but I won't flat out say they won't be a franchise QB because I don't know. In the right scenario I'd take any QB in the draft if the talent to draft ratio lines up. I wouldn't just that out take a top prospect off my board and say he sucks or won't be a franchise QB.

I'm going by what I see and I didn't say he sucks or should be off the board. What I said is that I don't see him as a top prospect who projects to a franchise level QB worthy of being a 1st round selection.  You do and that's fine. 

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

If the 8 picks gets us top 2 in draft then you are correct. 

Getting a QB is the only thing that the Bills should be worried about

If you don't get a bunch of new talent quick, the Bills will be a 4-12 team next year, even with a new QB........the Bills had the second oldest roster in the league this past season...the  Bills are getting "long in the tooth".  (don't know where that expression came from)

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't understand why you and some others act as if building the Bills into a perennial contender has to be accomplished in one offseason.  Beane is on the record as saying that acquiring a franchise QB is his primary responsibility as the GM and that will be the key to building a team that contends for championships on a sustained basis. 

Bingo

People act like trading some extra draft picks this year will prevent us from ever drafting another player.  Bottom line, the team made moves last year in the trade down and the Sammy trade to gain enough ammunition to (finally) make a play for a top QB without mortgaging the future.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm going by what I see and I didn't say he sucks or should be off the board. What I said is that I don't see him as a top prospect who projects to a franchise level QB worthy of being a 1st round selection.  You do and that's fine. 

So you view him as a 2nd round prospect? You don't take a QB in the 2nd if you don't feel he can be the guy. I think we field a better team with Rudolph + 7 picks versus Darnold/Rosen + 4 picks.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes.

Moreover, if McBeane and Co have the attitude "we have taken our shot at QB, we're done", they have the wrong attitude no better than the last 2 decades.  They need to ID someone they think can play and take a shot, do their best to develop him, and still be willing to take more shots to improve further. 

It wasn't a problem that we drafted Trent Edwards and EJ Manuel per se, or signed Ryan Fitzpatrick.  It's that we didn't take another shot in the top 4 rounds for 6 years after Edwards, or for 5 years after EJM.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

If you don't get a bunch of new talent quick, the Bills will be a 4-12 team next year, even with a new QB........the Bills had the second oldest roster in the league this past season...the  Bills are getting "long in the tooth".  (don't know where that expression came from)

Then they draft more players next year and they gain cap room from jettisoning the old guys.  The Bills aren't leaving WNY if they have one bad year.  I really don't understand why so many have such a fatalistic short sighted view. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

So you view him as a 2nd round prospect? You don't take a QB in the 2nd if you don't feel he can be the guy. I think we field a better team with Rudolph + 7 picks versus Darnold/Rosen + 4 picks.

They aren't building a team based on just the 2018 offseason.  Your approach is shortsighted. 

55 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

And I'm OK with that, provided they don't trade up or do something silly to land Rudolph.

People make it too hard.  We can't trade up for 1 of 4 guys, that would be foolish.  If there's one guy we're really sold on and passionate about (like the Eagles with Wentz), then we should trade up.  We may not be able to though, due to lack of trade partners or exceeding what we see as our price.

If we stay put and draft Jackson or Rudolph, we need to try to develop them.  Meanwhile keep looking around for potentially better QB.  Draft a Lauletta or a White in the 4th round next year.  Bring in a Kessler if he's cut.  And don't let good be the "enemy of Great"

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And I'm OK with that, provided they don't trade up or do something silly to land Rudolph.

People make it too hard.  We can't trade up for 1 of 4 guys, that would be foolish.  If there's one guy we're really sold on and passionate about (like the Eagles with Wentz), then we should trade up.  We may not be able to though, due to lack of trade partners or exceeding what we see as our price.

If we stay put and draft Jackson or Rudolph, we need to try to develop them.  Meanwhile keep looking around for potentially better QB.  Draft a Lauletta or a White in the 4th round next year.  Bring in a Kessler if he's cut.  And don't let good be the "enemy of Great"

Dumpster diving is highly unlikely to yield the result we are all looking for. 

3 hours ago, Casmo said:

Bills need all 8 picks in the draft to get better

Yup. And they'll be using all 8 even if they trade up and get a QB. Which is by far their biggest need.

There'll never be a year that losing picks in a tradeup won't hurt. It always hurts. And there'll never be a year when "everyone is [not] slobbering over QBs of this caliber." That's what happens to QBs of this caliber. Or anywhere close, really.

If there's any way for them to get a guy they want out of those top three or four guys from a tradeup, they should do it. If it's for some reason impossible, trade back and stockpile an extra first or two for next year. We need a QB. If it somehow absolutely doesn't work out this year, make it so it's possible next year.

3 hours ago, Casmo said:

Go get your QB. That has been a missing piece since Kelly left. 

If you get the QB the rest is easy

Edited by MAJBobby