What RB I would target in the draft

Buffalo716

We all know the Bills need a Better RB to spell Shady. But should we acquire him in FA or the draft?

This is a pretty deep RB class with good RBs through the first 3 maybe 4 rounds...

I guy I would really have my eyes on would be Royce Freeman of Oregon. He is big (6ft 230lb) runs with good vision and patience and can be the bruiser we need in the run game

He can block, and has decent hands as well so he is versatile 

spelling Shady he will be even more effective and would be a great compliment to our run game 

He is comfortable in a zone or power scheme as well

id love to have him in the 3rd or 4th if he somehow fell

(Discussion of Mid/Late round picks)

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

I can’t help but think Jonathan Stewart. He’s alright.  In a draft with some promising RBs he’s one of the last guys I want....but he does fit what we need.  I just don’t want him to be our premier RB when shady is gone.  I like him as shady compliment.  Not our #1 or the guy that takes carries from the more talented back (a la Deangelo Williams and Stewart imo).  I always thought Williams was the superior back. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I can’t help but think Jonathan Stewart. He’s alright.  In a draft with some promising RBs he’s one of the last guys I want....but he does fit what we need.  I just don’t want him to be our premier RB when shady is gone.  I like him as shady compliment.  Not our #1 or the guy that takes carries from the more talented back (a la Deangelo Williams and Stewart imo).  I always thought Williams was the superior back. 

Well obviously there are more talented backs. But I don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd on RB. He is a realistic 3rd-4th round pick

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Derrius Guice is the guy I want, watch a couple clips of him, tell me he won't be a good pro. He wouldn't just spell Shady, by the end of the year he would replace him entirely.

Guice is a late first / second round pick. We realistically aren't taking a RB that high

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Derrius Guice is the guy I want, watch a couple clips of him, tell me he won't be a good pro. He wouldn't just spell Shady, by the end of the year he would replace him entirely.

But do you really want to spend a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a RB in a good RB class?  I really like him too, as well as many backs in this draft.  I would just prefer to draft one in rd 3 or later.  If we trade up for a QB, I probably wouldn’t draft one at all.  There will be someone sufficient in FA.  In truth we have 2 pieces of our front 7 in place (Hughes and Milano).  One has a big contract and could be dealt while the other is promising yet still unproven.  The other 5 spots on the line need to be filled before we draft a backup RB

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well obviously there are more talented backs. But I don't want to spend a 1st or 2nd on RB. He is a realistic 3rd-4th round pick

Guice is a late first / second round pick. We realistically aren't taking a RB that high

I hear ya and I agree with not wanting to spend the pick in rd 1 or 2 on a rb.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But do you really want to spend a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a RB in a good RB class?  I really like him too, as well as many backs in this draft.  I would just prefer to draft one in rd 3 or later.  If we trade up for a QB, I probably wouldn’t draft one at all.  There will be someone sufficient in FA.  In truth we have 2 pieces of our front 7 in place (Hughes and Milano).  One has a big contract and could be dealt while the other is promising yet still unproven.  The other 5 spots on the line need to be filled before we draft a backup RB

Jonahthan Stewart is a nice comparison...

FYI I always believed Williams was the better RB as well... the duo preserved his career definitely though 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are other guys I'd prefer at 21 and 22. I really want Taven Bryan, Christian Kirk, Vita Vea, any of the top 5 QBs. If the board fell a certain way, I do think Guice would not disappoint.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Gurley is working out well for the Rams.

It's not a wasted pick if he's a stud.

By the way I'm not advocating for or against him, I don't have enough knowledge on this year's draft class of RBs, nor am I comparing any to gurley.

I'm better l just saying that a stud RB is very nice to have, and I don't think a 2nd rounder is a waste if he pans out

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

By the way I'm not advocating for or against him, I don't have enough knowledge on this year's draft class of RBs, nor am I comparing any to gurley.

I'm better l just saying that a stud RB is very nice to have, and I don't think a 2nd rounder is a waste if he pans out

along with Fournette and Zeke seem to really help their QB's.. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I am all for taking elite RBs high... but we do not have the luxury to do that right now

HoF RBs are easily worth a 1st if you have the resources to pull the trigger... we already have a legit #1 though 

we cant spend a #1 or even probably a #2 on a RB

we need multiple positions on the OLine. Dline, and QB... also LBr

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I am all for taking elite RBs high... but we do not have the luxury to do that right now

HoF RBs are easily worth a 1st if you have the resources to pull the trigger... we already have a legit #1 though 

we cant spend a #1 or even probably a #2 on a RB

we need multiple positions on the OLine. Dline, and QB... also LBr

Bro trust me, I'm all aboard the QB train at this point, hell I was before this past season.

I'm just saying I'm good with a RB in the second though if a stud is there.

My point is, if the BPA is a RB who drastically outclasses the available position hole in the second, take the RB.

Don't overreach for a hole-filling player .

That's all I'm saying :)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Bro trust me, I'm all aboard the QB train at this point, hell I was before this past season.

My point is, if the BPA is a RB who drastically outclasses the available position hole in the second, take the RB.

Couldn't agree more!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

For sure. RBs are weird because there are dozens and dozens and dozens of very talented backs in the NFL.

But a lot never get the chance to shine because they lack in the blocking/receiving element so they hardly see the field

There are a lot of Kareem Hunts and Alvin Kamaras and Karlos Williams. Guys who can go round 3-4-5 and be very deadly in the right circumstances 

Any RB going in the top 2 rounds today is tremendously gifted. And looked at as an immediate contributor 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

We all know the Bills need a Better RB to spell Shady. But should we acquire him in FA or the draft?

This is a pretty deep RB class with good RBs through the first 3 maybe 4 rounds...

I guy I would really have my eyes on would be Royce Freeman of Oregon. He is big (6ft 230lb) runs with good vision and patience and can be the bruiser we need in the run game

spelling Shady he will be even more effective and would be a great compliment to our run game 

I’m all about Royce Freeman. Loved him from his first game. Been watching him for his entire college career.

I think he’d be a great fit in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I think he’s a fine player and will be a franchise back in the right system.  I just don’t want to use one of our best assets on shadys backup.  The D front 7 and OL need too much help to draft a backup rb 

Give me RB John Kelly of Tennessee all day long, I want a RB who runs angry, dont get me wrong I appreciate everything McCoy is but I want that guy who not only like to hit but enjoys being hit and thrives off it and that's Kelly, plus he hasn't taken a pounding like these other backs... he's a 4th-6th round prospect I'm reading/hearing. I hate highlight videos because it only shows the good not the bad and the ugly, he has limitations for sure but I love angry runners, the music sucks but watching this kid bust through tackles, throw a guy to the ground or get hit then bounce up and talk **** gets me pumped and he's only like 5'9", 205 lbs.      

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

I would shock Bills Mafia and take Ronald Jones.  His game translates big time to the NFL.  He will score many long TD's via pass and ground

I like Sony Michel too

And to those that say we do not need to prioritize RB- I say we need playmakers.  Ronald Jones is a playmaker

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I would shock Bills Mafia and take Ronald Jones.  His game translates big time to the NFL.  He will score many long TD's via pass and ground

I like Sony Michel too

Both are quality backs and will likely be gone by the second round .Maybe early 3rd for jones but I could see 2nd

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Both are quality backs and will likely be gone by the second round .Maybe early 3rd for jones but I could see 2nd

Jones and maybe Michel are both going first round.  I seriously would consider Jones at 21, but would prefer selecting him baack of 1st round after a trade down

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Jones and maybe Michel are both going first round.  I seriously would consider Jones at 21, but would prefer selecting him baack of 1st round after a trade down

I don't know if there will be 3 first round backs but I can see Michel going late  first 

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Great call.  I’ve seen almost all his college games and he’ll be a very good pro.  Only concern is high mileage and a physical running style that causes him to absorb a lot of hits.  Will be interesting to see his times at the combine.  If he doesn’t run particularly well (which is possible), he could be available in round 5, at which point he would be very good value.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Great call.  I’ve seen almost all his college games and he’ll be a very good pro.  Only concern is high mileage and a physical running style that causes him to absorb a lot of hits.  Will be interesting to see his times at the combine.  If he doesn’t run particularly well (which is possible), he could be available in round 5, at which point he would be very good value.

He has been used a ton and has a very physical style ...  he also doesn't have breakaway speed...that should backs teams off him just enough to make him last to the mid rounds

as a spell back behind Shady , with maybe 5 healthy pounds lost with training, he would look faster and still run with great vision and finishing power 

plus having a smaller workload than he did at Oregon will preserve him 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He has been used a ton and has a very physical style ...  he also doesn't have breakaway speed...that should backs teams off him just enough to make him last to the mid rounds

as a spell back behind Shady , with maybe 5 healthy pounds lost with training, he would look faster and still run with great vision and finishing power 

plus having a smaller workload than he did at Oregon will preserve him 

Don’t forget that he has very good hands and would be a weapon in the passing game.

31 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Kalen Ballage

Yep my RB i want and the 4th or 5th is when i am looking for a RB so he fits right there. Had a very good Senior Bowl 

Strengths

Excellent body composition and frame. Possesses an athletic build with well-proportioned upper body and lower body that squats over 500 pounds. Versatile player who has experience as an off-set runner, a pass catcher out of the backfield and a wildcat quarterback. Has experience returning kicks. Plays with adequate burst between tackles. Lowers shoulder and accelerates feet into and through contact to fall forward. Has secondary power to find a tough yard near end zone. Clean hands as pass catcher. Displays ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls. Can line up in the slot. Able to slip first tackle attempt after the catch in open field. Needs to protect with better technique, but his size is effective in taking on blitzers.

Weaknesses

Doesn't have the hips or feet to cut with sharpness after flowing hard to the edge. Runs too upright to squeeze through tight rush lanes. Plays with early indecisiveness. Takes too many skip steps in his approach downhill allowing defense time to fight past blocks. Field vision is severely lacking. Allows open run lanes to go unused. Feet can get confused when faced with unexpected traffic. Athletic, but not elusive. Not nearly as hard to tackle as expected. Play regressed somewhat from 2016.

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Don’t forget that he has very good hands and would be a weapon in the passing game.

Yep. He might be a sleeper RB of the draft.

He is built for the NFL and he is getting overlooked a bit. He's a solid 3rd-4th round pick 

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Freeman is so much faster than Stewart it's not funny.  I saw both out here and it's no contest.