Active shooter at Florida high school

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Because it is possible to talk about news without putting a political spin on everything. 

Not really. Not this topic. The minute you move past "thoughts and prayers" it goes downhill pretty quick.

I'm just waiting for the Info Wars exclusive on how this was staged by the CIA.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

In an ideal world, we would all just take this to heart and days would pass by where families could bury their children in peace. Where a local community comes together to mourn those lost.

Unfortunately, with these incidents happening at the rate that they do, the next one is already happening before the shock of the one before subsides.

I may come at this from a different angle. We lost our son about six weeks ago. For me, this is a time that is all about the shock and tragic losses....and prayers for the loved ones left behind. Regardless of whether the issue is guns, drugs, texting and driving, DUI’s, etc. right now is about the families to me. 

I’ll let others determine how to handle their lives, emotions, comments and opinions. I just know that for these families it’s all about surviving the now....and I’ll be praying for them. 

Meh, what are you going to do?

No body wants to actually do anything about the issue

You can never talk about it cause its never the right time

All anyone wants to do is pray for the victims and blame it on the new scapegoat of "mental health issue"

You can keep praying and pushing off the real issues while refusing to not talk about it cause its not the time or place to talk

Its just going to keep happening and about all you really can do is get used to it and accept it as the new norm.....

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Meh, what are you going to do?

No body wants to actually do anything about the issue

You can never talk about it cause its never the right time

All anyone wants to do is pray for the victims and blame it on the new scapegoat of "mental health issue"

You can keep praying and pushing off the real issues while refusing to not talk about it cause its not the time or place to talk

Its just going to keep happening and about all you really can do is get used to it and accept it as the new norm.....

Meh? Nobody wants to do anything? Maybe I’m off here, but 6-8 hours later is just time to feel for the families. But I won’t pretend to have any real answers, just my sick gut reaction. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not really. Not this topic. The minute you move past "thoughts and prayers" it goes downhill pretty quick.

I'm just waiting for the Info Wars exclusive on how this was staged by the CIA.

This is incredibly short-sighted man

We don't know anything about the shooter yet, and that information that would be coming out very quickly is likely going to be wrong.  We don't know if you have taken the guns legally or illegally. If you obtain the guns illegally then there's a good chance that it wouldn't matter, a 99% chance it wouldn't matter what new laws you wanted.

Unless people want to do away with the 2nd Amendment, and those are probably the stupidest people around the world... Literally Society is better off with those people going and jumping off a cliff, but I digress... You live in this country with the freedoms afforded by the Constitution and you have no goddamn right to B word about it. You just can't take parts of the Constitution, the fundamental groundwork on this country and do away with parts of it because some don't agree. The federal government is !@#$ed enough.

I know you are not, but I know there are plenty who are.

Edited by Boyst62

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... A bit testes.

Thick skin people, thick skin.  Let's all pray, hide our head in sand and whistle out our arse.

It will get better.  It really will!  

Forward!

Yeah, but this thread should be void of politics and full of news. I mean, the blood was still warm when some of yall decided to capitalize on the tragedy.

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

In an ideal world, we would all just take this to heart and days would pass by where families could bury their children in peace. Where a local community comes together to mourn those lost.

Unfortunately, with these incidents happening at the rate that they do, the next one is already happening before the shock of the one before subsides.

Actually, sorry to take away from your feels... But these incidents are happening less and less.  Despite inaccurate statistics being kept by the Department of Justice recently, these types of shootings are down

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

You !@#$ers need more guns. I don’t have time  to discuss this right now, so maybe we can get into it in a couple of weeks after the next mass shooting. Question....when was the 2nd amendment written and what types of weapons existed? 

47 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Actually, sorry to take away from your feels... But these incidents are happening less and less.  Despite inaccurate statistics being kept by the Department of Justice recently, these types of shootings are down

Ah look at you defending mass shootings. Things are looking up! 

9 minutes ago, thebug said:

You !@#$ers need more guns. I don’t have time  to discuss this right now, so maybe we can get into it in a couple of weeks after the next mass shooting. Question....when was the 2nd amendment written and what types of weapons existed? 

So when some crazy !@#$ breaks into my house with an illegally procured weapon what do you suggest I do to defend myself?  Candlestick or hammer?  

11 minutes ago, thebug said:

Well, I'm sorry you felt American history in 4th grade but there's still hope for you

Just keep trying Slugger you'll get it and if you grow a pair of balls one day you'll go to PPP where this discussion belongs.

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

So when some crazy !@#$ breaks into my house with an illegally procured weapon what do you suggest I do to defend myself?  Candlestick or hammer?  

You can borrow bugs pink hat, or his sign that has Trump holding a sickle with the Russian flag, or maybe bugs pro-life bumper sticker, or maybe you could get away really fast in his Prius

I see things are tending to focus on the gun issue and politics. I pray for the families. The other issues belong in a more appropriate place. That’s just me. I’ve been scolded for MUCH less than this crap. I can’t believe this even exists here. It’s pretty confusing. 

Hope less kids are killed in the next one in a few weeks. At least your rights will not be infringed on. ?

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

This is true for the bug as well

ueu7x5T.jpg

Move to Canada, they never have mass violence up there. Or Mexico, they have strict gun laws. 

You really want to compare 

mass shootings in Canada to the USA? 

Edited by thebug

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Must likely they are breaking into your house TO STEAL YOUR WEAPONS... When you're away at work.  Don't worry, you'll be safe far away.

1 hour ago, thebug said:

Hope less kids are killed in the next one in a few weeks. At least your rights will not be infringed on. ?

You really want to compare 

mass shootings in Canada to the USA? 

Get this.  My truck was searched crossing the border this past holiday season. Major hassle.  @ Rainbow Bridge INTO Canada... Back to US, breezed right in.

Canadian Customs said they were "looking for guns."  All that was in the my bed of my Tacoma was two pair of skis.

But... I am with you on this. I can't blame Canada... See my truck, obscure Illinois plates (even obscure Illinois & Michigan Canal plates) & we are going to the Falls for Festival of Lights and dinner. Had all our crap together, passports, etc...

My dingbat brother (who has arsenal of weapons) is like: "They are just protecting our country." I said: "I was going INTO Canada."

As I said in another thread, I have recently found my biological family through Ancestry.com.

My half sister is devastated...her daughter is a teacher at the school where the shooting occurred and she locked herself and her students in the classroom and prayed for the best.  Thankfully, they are all ok but many families are not.  Her daughter was texting her while the rampage was occurring.  Horrific.

Edited by Billsfansinceday1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I may come at this from a different angle. We lost our son about six weeks ago. For me, this is a time that is all about the shock and tragic losses....and prayers for the loved ones left behind. Regardless of whether the issue is guns, drugs, texting and driving, DUI’s, etc. right now is about the families to me. 

I’ll let others determine how to handle their lives, emotions, comments and opinions. I just know that for these families it’s all about surviving the now....and I’ll be praying for them. 

We all look at these situations with a slightly different focus. I can't imagine what the parents are going through, nor can I grasp what you've been going through in the past few weeks. A friend of mine attended the school, his former football coach was one of those shot. I guess knowing the pain this is causing Rob is bringing this one into sharper focus for me.

4 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I think we'd both agree, beyond the semantics of recorded statistics, that one is too many.

I'm sorry if my "feels" are stoked by 17 innocent people being dead. I live in a country that saw dead children in school classrooms and enacted change. I don't have to deal with this unending type of nightmare on a weekly basis.

5 hours ago, thebug said:

I live in Canada dorkstick. 

I look forward to your ignorant Canada insults. 

Well, being American that ignorance will be easy. However, this is where I should just in certain lines from Canadian bacon

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

We all look at these situations with a slightly different focus. I can't imagine what the parents are going through, nor can I grasp what you've been going through in the past few weeks. A friend of mine attended the school, his former football coach was one of those shot. I guess knowing the pain this is causing Rob is bringing this one into sharper focus for me.

I think we'd both agree, beyond the semantics of recorded statistics, that one is too many.

I'm sorry if my "feels" are stoked by 17 innocent people being dead. I live in a country that saw dead children in school classrooms and enacted change. I don't have to deal with this unending type of nightmare on a weekly basis.

No, we wouldn't agree that one is too much. Because it's so easy t to speak in platitudes and condemn something, it's so easy to Simply remark that this is good or this is bad.  The problem is you nor anyone else has a valid solution to these problems. So unless you're willing to discuss the solution don't talk about the problem as if you are some self-righteous prophet

51 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

No, we wouldn't agree that one is too much. Because it's so easy t to speak in platitudes and condemn something, it's so easy to Simply remark that this is good or this is bad.  The problem is you nor anyone else has a valid solution to these problems. So unless you're willing to discuss the solution don't talk about the problem as if you are some self-righteous prophet

What I know is that this is a complex and multifaceted problem, one that I'm not sure anyone has a guaranteed solution for. I'm the wrong person to be arguing how to change the law in the US simply because I'm not well versed enough in US legislation to provide the answers.

Greater enforcement of current laws is a practical place to start. Just from anecdotal evidence I've heard from people that have used mental health services over there, it seems like more funding going toward that area might be helpful. It's probably more feasible in the long run to try to fix the crazy person part of "crazy person with a gun".

I'm not trying to be a self-righteous prophet. All I'm saying is that from the outside looking in, it seems that your current systems in place regarding both gun violence and mental health are woefully inadequate and not fit for purpose. Not doing a damn thing is clearly not working so maybe try something different.

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

What I know is that this is a complex and multifaceted problem, one that I'm not sure anyone has a guaranteed solution for. I'm the wrong person to be arguing how to change the law in the US simply because I'm not well versed enough in US legislation to provide the answers.

Greater enforcement of current laws is a practical place to start. Just from anecdotal evidence I've heard from people that have used mental health services over there, it seems like more funding going toward that area might be helpful. It's probably more feasible in the long run to try to fix the crazy person part of "crazy person with a gun".

I'm not trying to be a self-righteous prophet. All I'm saying is that from the outside looking in, it seems that your current systems in place regarding both gun violence and mental health are woefully inadequate and not fit for purpose. Not doing a damn thing is clearly not working so maybe try something different.

There is no argument that can be made here but we do not know yet if mental health treatment would have stopped this but shirely, anyone who kills someone is not of utmost mental health. 

There are interesting stories coming out about this kid that other saw this coming for a while and nothing was done. This kid was also bullied, and made to feel a victim. Which is a major problem in this country and around the world. When you can become the victim it is easy to make yourself immune to the injustices you do to Shield yourself or strike back at those you have upset you.

But we don't know the case exactly personal liability has been an issue in this country for so long that it's only getting worse. Be at those observed the behavior and failed to report it or the shooter himself being left powerless to bullies. 

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

There is no argument that can be made here but we do not know yet if mental health treatment would have stopped this but shirely, anyone who kills someone is not of utmost mental health. 

There are interesting stories coming out about this kid that other saw this coming for a while and nothing was done. This kid was also bullied, and made to feel a victim. Which is a major problem in this country and around the world. When you can become the victim it is easy to make yourself immune to the injustices you do to Shield yourself or strike back at those you have upset you.

But we don't know the case exactly personal liability has been an issue in this country for so long that it's only getting worse. Be at those observed the behavior and failed to report it or the shooter himself being left powerless to bullies. 

It's a pretty safe assumption that something wasn't right inside his head. The fact that he was known as a danger either to himself or others does suggest that somewhere along the line, the duty of care has been mishandled. Quite how you apportion blame for that between the parents, the school, medical professionals and law enforcement, I haven't a clue with the information currently in the public domain.

I think the vast majority of us have been there at some point, particularly during school days. Kids are cruel and they pick at weaknesses. In my own case, not even my father's suicide attempt was off limits for some of them. Understanding what makes people like this tick and looking at ways to better deal with them before they go off the deep end seems like a good place to start the conversation.

Sad. I was in high school when Columbine happened and made that my final project for one of my classes. I remember getting up there and talking about desensitization, violent video games yada yada. 

Two decades later kids are now so detached they are filming on their phones whilst their life is in someone else's hands. Do smartphones and social media lessen the value we place on our own lives? It sure seems so. Need to know something? Read a book? Ask a friend who would know? A teacher? Nope just ask google. I know that seems like a weird thing to mention but it's always weird to me when I see someone getting their ass beat and people all recording it, now it's okay to sit there and record your school being shot up? In the 90's perhaps people were desensitized but now they are detached. 

Living your life as if it's a movie script. Yehaw.    Sick Sick Sick. 

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Must likely they are breaking into your house TO STEAL YOUR WEAPONS... When you're away at work.  Don't worry, you'll be safe far away.

Yup home invasions never happen. Want to guess how many times someone was looking in my windows or trying break in while I was home?  And these are the only ones I caught on my security cam. I never wanted to be without my weapon nearby while I lived in Oakland 

Columbine set the stage for troubled kids to go out in a blaze of glory. Do we have a mental health issue here?  Sure. How do you fix it?  Do we have a lot of guns here?  Sure. How do you fix it?  Newsflash guys.  You can’t. 

The coverage of these stories drive me mad.  Do we really need to see picture after picture of crying parents and kids or the incoherent interview with a kid who can't keep her composure just hours after everything happened?  Then there's the need to rank each one in terms of body count, encouraging the next whackjob out there who wants to go for the high score.  But hey, whatever it takes to keep the ratings up.

If anything, all these pictures do is actually make the incident look like it wasn't bad at all.  This guy goes crazy with a gun and the end result is a bunch of crying people.  I'm not going to suggest they show the real pictures, I just want them to stop taking advantage of these people at their peak moment of suffering.

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yup home invasions never happen. Want to guess how many times someone was looking in my windows or trying break in while I was home?  And these are the only ones I caught on my security cam. I never wanted to be without my weapon nearby while I lived in Oakland 

Columbine set the stage for troubled kids to go out in a blaze of glory. Do we have a mental health issue here?  Sure. How do you fix it?  Do we have a lot of guns here?  Sure. How do you fix it?  Newsflash guys.  You can’t. 

That's the spirit! 

Are drugs an issue in America? Of course! Build a wall to stop drugs, more law enforcement, harsher penalties!

Are guns an issue in America? Of course, but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so don't even try!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, elroy16 said:

That's the spirit! 

Are drugs an issue in America? Of course! Build a wall to stop drugs, more law enforcement, harsher penalties!

Are guns an issue in America? Of course, but there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so don't even try!

Did I say don’t try?  I said you can’t fix it. I have plenty of ideas on how to better control guns in this country. I’m a gun owner and I see how things can be improved. Will it stop these things from happening?  Nope. Never. 

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Did I say don’t try?  I said you can’t fix it. I have plenty of ideas on how to better control guns in this country. I’m a gun owner and I see how things can be improved. Will it stop these things from happening?  Nope. Never. 

Fair enough. I've seen the "he bought the gun illegally, so what can you do" argument way too !@#$ing many times. There's literally dozens of things you can do. It won't stop them completely, but you can get the number of mass shootings way, way down. 

The fact that the government still hasn't done anything over the past 5 years or so has shredded just about every last bit of hope I had for any real change. 

I apologize for attacking you, it was done in haste which is not an excuse.

Edited by elroy16