Active shooter at Florida high school

19 minutes ago, garybusey said:

The chart above has asterisks and footnotes though.

Some, but the data was still able to be collated fairly easily because of uniformity of definitions.  When the definitions vary, it's far more difficult as Levi says.

But still, even if we wish we had more recent data, how does it render data from 2013 invalid?  The OECD is a legitimate international organization whose member states are all in the developed world, and 2013 is recent enough that there haven't been any major cultural or technological shifts. 

Right wing media going after the survivors of the massacre. What sewer rats

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/02/21/i-am-not-a-crisis-actor-florida-teens-fire-back-at-right-wing-conspiracy-theorists/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_mix-teentheories-11am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.6364182666d1

The students have become a mobilizing force unlike any seen after previous mass shootings, planning marches and rallies in Florida and Washington — all while mourning the friends they’ve so recently lost.

They have also become a target of right-wing smears and innuendo.

Some prominent figures in the right-wing media are suggesting that the students are making it all up, or that the children are paid actors or that their talking points have been manufactured by public relations experts on the left.

An aide to a Florida legislator was even fired Tuesday after claiming two survivors who spoke to CNN were not students, but instead “actors that travel to various crisis when they happen.”

While these claims have no basis, they spread quickly in conservative circles on social media and among popular right-wing commentators.

Some, such as conservative author and filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza, mocked the Florida teenagers. “How interesting to hear students who can’t support themselves for one day giving us lectures about American social policy,” he tweeted early on Tuesday. It was liked more than 22,000 times.

On 2/18/2018 at 11:39 AM, B-Man said:

One of our biggest problems stares us straight in the face.

When Will We Have the Guts to Link Fatherlessness to School Shootings?
by Susan Goldberg

Original Article

Now that the gun control advocates have had their fifteen minutes of fame, let’s start focusing on the real issues impacting the rise in school shootings since that infamous day in Columbine in 1999. Issue number one that no one in the mainstream media or government wants to acknowledge: fatherlessness. Specifically, the impact of fatherlessness on the boys who grew up to become school shooters. Dr. Warren Farrell, author of the new book The Boy Crisis, explains: Minimal or no father involvement, whether due to divorce, death, or imprisonment, is common to Adam Lanza, Elliott Rodgers, Dylan Roof and Stephen Paddock.

Here is a list of out of wedlock births in European countries, some/many of which are pretty high, Where are the school mass shootings there? https://www.statista.com/statistics/276802/births-out-of-wedlock-in-the-eu/

In Latin America the rate is over50%, where are the school shootings there?

It's a bogus argument

On 2/19/2018 at 1:12 PM, LABillzFan said:

Yep. I would argue it's one of the most critical issues of our time. Unfortunately, we see it primarily in the poor minority communities (over 77% of black children are born to a single mother) , and whenever anyone -- even a person of color -- tries to point this out from a position of self-accountability and -responsibility, it turns into a shouting match about something other than the problem.

But let's take the guns. Because everyone knows if someone wants to kill a bunch of people, and make it illegal to get a weapon, they'll change their mind and choose to not kill anyone.

Throw every problem at the black people, all their friggin fault for everything. I can't remember a black person shooting up a school

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

In Latin America the rate is over50%, where are the school shootings there?

The shooters are here in MS-13 and other gangs.

Edited by Wacka

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Probably one of the same people that bitches about thoughts and prayers.

Harris Faulkner ended her interview with a schoolboy and told him that she wanted him to know that everybody's thoughts and prayers were with them and he said something along the lines of "that's fine but do something about it" and he said it in a very rude manner.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Harris Faulkner ended her interview with a schoolboy and told him that she wanted him to know that everybody's thoughts and prayers were with them and he said something along the lines of "that's fine but do something about it" and he said it in a very rude manner.

As per the script.

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

Forgive me for not digging deeper, but did anyone bring up the big story making the rounds titled "I bought an AR-15 in 5 minutes with an expired ID," written by a 20-year-old who actually didn't by an AR-15, but asked if he could, and then left the store to write his hot new article?

Yes. Gary busy defended the piece. 

8 minutes ago, baskin said:

Damn....you can find something awful to say at will huh?

It's not difficult.  People are hypocrites, and they suck.  I just observe it, so don't shoot the messenger.

But if you do, don't forget the thoughts and prayers.

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's not difficult.  People are hypocrites, and they suck.  I just observe it, so don't shoot the messenger.

But if you do, don't forget the thoughts and prayers.

You are hardly just a messenger...

Holy crap I come here every two week for some reason....

Do you regulars have any concept how effed up you are? How rationlized your world has become.....basically how simply awful you are....Thank god you all seem to have nothing better to do than live on this god forsaken site...

2 minutes ago, baskin said:

Are you high?  ALL I do here is deconstruct hypocrisy.  I'm nothing but a messenger.

You and gator are just too blinded by your own stupidity to notice anything but.

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Correct.  The data is through 2013.  That's how data works.  Were you hoping I would provide data from the future?  Or are you saying that data from 2013 is no longer relevant because humans and society are vastly different from how we were way back in 2013 in the Mesozoic Era?

And while that particular website no longer exists, the data it collated from the OECD, referenced in the chat, does.

Because...Net Neutrality!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, garybusey said:

The chart above has asterisks and footnotes though.

Does it have  twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one?

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Forgive me for not digging deeper, but did anyone bring up the big story making the rounds titled "I bought an AR-15 in 5 minutes with an expired ID," written by a 20-year-old who actually didn't by an AR-15, but asked if he could, and then left the store to write his hot new article?

Edited by jmc12290
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, baskin said:

Holy crap I come here every two week for some reason....

Do you regulars have any concept how effed up you are? How rationlized your world has become.....basically how simply awful you are....Thank god you all seem to have nothing better to do than live on this god forsaken site...

How rationalized our world is?  Ya mean no candied ass little emotional pussies?   

Yes. We are aware I'd bet.

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

So you're a homophobe as well as a Nazi.

Then me deliberately misread the preface of Freud’s Civilization and it’s Discontents.

Edited by row_33

9 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Are you high?  ALL I do here is deconstruct hypocrisy.  I'm nothing but a messenger.

You and gator are just too blinded by your own stupidity to notice anything but.

You're an idiot. Delusional. 

Edited by LA Grant

On 2/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, DC Tom said:

You lost the argument at "civilian model assault weapon."

The anti-gun lobby would do much better if they knew anything about what they were talking about.  

You have no argument. You are just pedantic for the sake of pedantry. You are a stupid person.

On 2/19/2018 at 11:12 AM, LABillzFan said:

Yep. I would argue it's one of the most critical issues of our time. Unfortunately, we see it primarily in the poor minority communities (over 77% of black children are born to a single mother) , and whenever anyone -- even a person of color -- tries to point this out from a position of self-accountability and -responsibility, it turns into a shouting match about something other than the problem.

But let's take the guns. Because everyone knows if someone wants to kill a bunch of people, and make it illegal to get a weapon, they'll change their mind and choose to not kill anyone.

Attaboy. Father-less households are the most critical issues of our time. Really great point here. No, I'm serious. You're totally right. That's exactly what killed all of these people. They didn't have fathers! Are you an author outside of here? You ought to be! You're SMART.

Yes, we should blame anything but guns. ANYTHING! It quite literally doesn't need to make any sense, be connected to reality, or even this specific example. Everything is okay as long as guns are not receiving any blame (apologies to guns for even putting them near the word 'blame'). Did Fabio admire your guns? 

9 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I made a case for freedom of speech.  Then I made 100 gypsies dig their own mass grave.

I condemn the death of the Innocents children and minorities at the hands of in authoritative militant police. But then I got it over real good when I did bombing strikes killing civilians at 10 times the rate of a bad guy because I was too kitty to send in ground forces or do more than just talk

I've killed like tens of thousands of innocent people, I'm pretty much Hitler