Active shooter at Florida high school

On 2/15/2018 at 8:00 AM, Chef Jim said:

Yup home invasions never happen. Want to guess how many times someone was looking in my windows or trying break in while I was home?  And these are the only ones I caught on my security cam. I never wanted to be without my weapon nearby while I lived in Oakland 

Columbine set the stage for troubled kids to go out in a blaze of glory. Do we have a mental health issue here?  Sure. How do you fix it?  Do we have a lot of guns here?  Sure. How do you fix it?  Newsflash guys.  You can’t. 

I have had zero people look in my windows.  Well, at least when I was home.   That's... Almost 30 years living in da hood.

Get to know your neighbors, give them a copy of your keys.  Stick around for thirty years on a mortgage... Just like the old days.

Was up in Oak Brook yesterday... It's nice texting a neighbor and asking if they can take the UPS package off the steps and bring it in...

Yeah... We can fix this.  It's called getting to know one and another... Watching what goes on.  Anybody peers into anyone of our windows around here, and people will be on them like stink on schist.  I live in anything but a homogenous area... I grew up in a homogenous bubble... It was called S.Cheektowaga/WestSenca.  My father still lives in that house 60 years later. And you know what? The neighbors are still looking out for each other... Doing things, shoveling snow, getting maill, watching pets, leaving doors unlocked... Just like they do where I live now.

It's the people, the attitude that makes a neighborhood... And it starts with ONE person.  Maybe it's you?  I know my neighbors have weapons.  Same with my brother who lives with my father.  Would you be so sure I do or don't, you'll never know for sure.

Yeah... But cling to your weapon for protection. It takes other fundamental things first.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

What does this even mean?

so obviously going to happen that even the FBI is saying it’s terribly sorry after the fact, I can’t recall this ever happening before

Espcailly when it could be argued this wasn’t the direct mandate of the FBI in the first place

40 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Exiled, agreed but this is a most aberrant situation and not helpful possibly for the future 

I understand.  BIG sacrifices have to be made by the many in the here & now.  The future will be better.  I am sorry for the ones (current gun owners, their safety, etc...) making those sacrifices.

It's certainly NOT all about "me" anymore... No matter how much the Deplorables/Snowflakes (one in same) throw a 2nd right tantrum.

The 2nd will always be there.  No slippery slope.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

25 minutes ago, thebug said:

Those snowflake children should shut up and continue to take bullets to the head to keep the country safe! 

We know you're a childish vagina when you mention the children.

Your argument is pathetic.

Wanna try again?

2 minutes ago, thebug said:

Yeah cause who cares about the children, right douche bag? 

38 minutes ago, thebug said:

Those snowflake children should shut up and continue to take bullets to the head to keep the country safe! 

Never let a dead child go to waste, eh?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

I know.....

if someone can’t even bother to put a millionth of a fraction of their ass into their well paid job then people suffer

In Florida 39 deputy visits to your home is just pretend and it only counts at the 40h intrusion?

There were a LOT of people and organizations who !@#$ed up here, including the school system (which I haven't heard mentioned yet.)  Sometimes there are no indicators...this time, there were a hell of a lot, that everyone ignored.  

Sadly, this is a case where screaming about gun control is going to obscure the real failures that led to this.  

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Never let a dead child go to waste, eh?

Collateral damage apparently. Let's take a moment to honor the sacrifice of our brave school children, who laid down their lives, to protect our right to bear arms.

38 minutes ago, thebug said:

Their rally is one of the healthiest reactions I've ever seen.  They're refusing to be passively victimized as our entire country and culture tells them they should be, and instead actively taking responsibility for themselves and their environment.  It's a refreshing change from the typical American "heroic victim" stereotype.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Their rally is one of the healthiest reactions I've ever seen.  They're refusing to be passively victimized as our entire country and culture tells them they should be, and instead actively taking responsibility for themselves and their environment.  It's a refreshing change from the typical American "heroic victim" stereotype.

It’s actually very impressive. 

1 minute ago, thebug said:

Collateral damage apparently. Let's take a moment to honor the sacrifice of our brave school children, who laid down their lives, to protect our right to bear arms.

You're an idiot.  "Think of the children" is the laziest of arguments.  Even lazier than "You're an idiot."

27 minutes ago, thebug said:

Yeah cause who cares about the children, right douche bag? 

Chicago+2013-18.jpg

no problem, princess.

ya know whats funny, though.  separate topic but it's funny how someone like you would call me a douchebag here but never to my face.  i never understand why people do this?  i'm not some ultra tough guy badass but i would have no problem calling someone the sames names i say here to their face or back down from being the charming individual i strive to be; !@#$, i called my brother in laws sister in laws mother a "sky fairy retard who doesn't understand the modern advances of the social construct while continuing to further jeopardize the ability to have critical thought and intelligence promoted for our country."

but, seriously, why would you bother calling someone a douchebag when you never would in person?

12 minutes ago, thebug said:

Go clean your gun loser! 

again, you'd never call a man a loser to his face.  why are you doing it here?

11 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Chicago+2013-18.jpg

no problem, princess.

ya know whats funny, though.  separate topic but it's funny how someone like you would call me a douchebag here but never to my face.  i never understand why people do this?  i'm not some ultra tough guy badass but i would have no problem calling someone the sames names i say here to their face or back down from being the charming individual i strive to be; !@#$, i called my brother in laws sister in laws mother a "sky fairy retard who doesn't understand the modern advances of the social construct while continuing to further jeopardize the ability to have critical thought and intelligence promoted for our country."

but, seriously, why would you bother calling someone a douchebag when you never would in person?

again, you'd never call a man a loser to his face.  why are you doing it here?

Lol you don’t know me at all. I would have no problem saying those same things in person. You think you’re the only one that will? 

!@#$ last year I called a TSA mall cop a cow and the other C word after she tossed my laptop into a bin and I got an apology for them. I tosssd my father in law out of a get together the night before my wedding because he was being a dick to my soon to be wife. I get in plenty of **** for speaking my mind. 

Edited by thebug

5 minutes ago, thebug said:

Lol you don’t know me at all. I would have no problem saying those same things in person. You think you’re the only one that will? 

i'm one of few who actually would do it.  and i wouldn't care if you did.  i'd laugh at them.

either way, where is your outrage over chicago?  where is your outrage for all of the other stories that come out?

staying on topic - lets remember Adriane Dickerson.  lets remember countless victims who were the result of criminals.

19 hours ago, thebug said:

The Trump question had to do with You saying “liars should never be listened to.”  

Against my better judgement, I'm going to address this:

I am not, nor have I ever been a "Trump supporter".  Nor have I been a supporter of anyone else for that matter.  I am incredibly distrustful of power, and believe that rulers who manifest a cult of personality have the overwhelming potential to become incredibly dangerous.  As such, I support policies and philosophies which actively work against the ability of system, or individual, to consolidate power or act arbitrarily.

All processes of government, to these ends, must conform to the legal limits placed on them, at all times.

IE.  I believe the DREAMers should be permitted to stay in the country, and be provided a path to citizenship, through the legislative process.  If this cannot be achieved, they should be deported.

The sanctity of the process is far more important than individual outcomes.  This is because we have no guarantees that bad actors will never be at the helm of the nation, and if we, as a people, are insistent that our government be bound by strict guidelines and legal processes even when it comes to the things we really want it to do, then we are culturally much less vulnerable to those bad actors in power when they seek to use the power of government to do things that are oppressive.

To these ends, I am pleased with the actions President Trump has taken to reinstate the proper concept of checks and balances in regards to DACA and the reduction, across the board, of the unaccountable regulatory state.  He is the first President of my lifetime who has worked actively to reduce the scope of the Executive.

This should be regarded as a wonderful thing; especially to those who live in fear of a God Emperor Trump.

Finally, to step on my last point, I would posit that if an individual is afraid of what God Emperor Trump is able to do with the power they have vested in the Executive, then they have vested far too much power in the Executive, which is exactly what people who subscribe to my governing philosophies have been insisting just about forever.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I am not, nor have I ever been a "Trump supporter".  Nor have I been a supporter of anyone else for that matter.  I am incredibly distrustful of power, and believe that rulers who manifest a cult of personality have the overwhelming potential to become incredibly dangerous.  As such, I support policies and philosophies which actively work against the ability of system, or individual, to consolidate power or act arbitrarily.

All processes of government, to these ends, must conform to the legal limits placed on them, at all times.

IE.  I believe the DREAMers should be permitted to stay in the country, and be provided a path to citizenship, through the legislative process.  If this cannot be achieved, they should be deported.

The sanctity of the process is far more important than individual outcomes.  This is because we have no guarantees that bad actors will never be at the helm of the nation, and if we, as a people, are insistent that our government be bound by strict guidelines and legal processes even when it comes to the things we really want it to do, then we are culturally much less vulnerable to those bad actors in power when they seek to use the power of government to do things that are oppressive.

To these ends, I am pleased with the actions President Trump has taken to reinstate the proper concept of checks and balances in regards to DACA and the reduction, across the board, of the unaccountable regulatory state.  He is the first President of my lifetime who has worked actively to reduce the scope of the Executive.

This should be regarded as a wonderful thing; especially to those who live in fear of a God Emperor Trump.

Finally, to step on my last point, I would posit that if an individual is afraid of what God Emperor Trump is able to do with the power they have vested in the Executive, then they have vested far too much power in the Executive, which is exactly what people who subscribe to my governing philosophies have been insisting just about forever.

Fair enough! 

13 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

i'm one of few who actually would do it.  and i wouldn't care if you did.  i'd laugh at them.

either way, where is your outrage over chicago?  where is your outrage for all of the other stories that come out?

staying on topic - lets remember Adriane Dickerson.  lets remember countless victims who were the result of criminals.

I’m new to PPP,  haven’t had a chance to comment on others, but I have enjoyed my short time here. 

5 minutes ago, thebug said:

Fair enough! 

I’m new to PPP,  haven’t had a chance to comment on others, but I have enjoyed my short time here. 

you're a masochist.

i hate this place but it's one of the few i can actually talk like an adult and not have to worry about having everyone get their panties wadded.  except for Dev.  he's a pansy

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

you're a masochist.

i hate this place but it's one of the few i can actually talk like an adult and not have to worry about having everyone get their panties wadded.  except for Dev.  he's a pansy

Exactly why I like it. I think it’s great that I can speak my mind here (the way I would speak with buddies over a beer) and not get banned (so far.)

I don’t care if everyone disagrees, calls me whatever the !@#$ they want, but I can have my say!  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thebug said:

Exactly why I like it. I think it’s great that I can speak my mind here (the way I would speak with buddies over a beer) and not get banned (so far.)

I don’t care if everyone disagrees, calls me whatever the !@#$ they want, but I can have my say!  

you won't get banned here.

just don't call hank williams junior a homo and you'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Any rational person should have realized that our system of checks and balances are so bullet proof that the fear of Trump becoming some type of dictator is ridiculous. My question to you is do you believe the actions Trump has taken to reduce the scope of the executive branch was motivated by a noble constitutional conservative ideology  or advancing his campaign promises, political goals, and personal grievances? 

I would argue the latter with Trump.  I believe a lot of his most controversial decisions when it comes to reversing Obama's executive actions were politically and personally motivated and he used "reinstating the proper concepts of checks and balances" as an excuse.  I believe he repealed DACA to have leverage over Democrats when it came to getting his immigration agenda through, he stopped the CSR payments to insurance companies because he was frustrated Congress didn't repeal the ACA and did everything in his power to undermine it, and he withdrew from the Paris Accords to fulfill his campaign process with a little encouragement from Scott Pruitt and Steve Bannon.

The real test for Trump (if it ever happens) will be when the Republicans don't hold the majorities in either the House or the Senate.  Will he be even worse than Obama when it comes to perceived executive overreach?  I would guess yes because to me Trump at heart is a cutthroat Manhattan real estate tycoon who will stop at nothing to get what he wants even if it means bending the rules.  If it was somebody like Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, etc... I would feel differently.

Edited by Doc Brown

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Any rational person should have realized that our system of checks and balances are so bullet proof that the fear of Trump becoming some type of dictator is ridiculous. My question to you is do you believe the actions Trump has taken to reduce the scope of the executive branch was motivated by a noble constitutional conservative ideology  or advancing his campaign promises, political goals, and personal grievances? 

I would argue the latter with Trump.  I believe a lot of his most controversial decisions when it comes to reversing Obama's executive actions were politically and personally motivated and he used "reinstating the proper concepts of checks and balances" as an excuse.  I believe he repealed DACA to have leverage over Democrats when it came to getting his immigration agenda through, he stopped the CSR payments to insurance companies because he was frustrated Congress didn't repeal the ACA and did everything in his power to undermine it, and he withdrew from the Paris Accords to fulfill his campaign process with a little encouragement from Scott Pruitt and Steve Bannon.

The real test for Trump (if it ever happens) will be when the Republicans don't hold the majorities in either the House or the Senate.  Will he be even worse than Obama when it comes to perceived executive overreach?  I would guess yes because to me Trump at heart is a cutthroat Manhattan real estate tycoon who will stop at nothing to get what he wants even if it means bending the rules.  If it was somebody like Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, etc... I would feel differently.

The problem is that the people so terrified of God-Emperor Trump actually WANT authoritarian power vested in the executive, because it's the only way they can effect change quickly and nationwide.  They just want it vested in the "right" people.  

Seriously...you should talk to some of these people some time.  They actually use rationalizations such as "the issues of today are too critical to leave to Congress," "we need action now, this is too important to wait for legislation," "the president needs to do what's best for the country without regards to law or process."  It's real fascist/Nazi beliefs of governance these people hold - they basically argue that Hitler would have been fine if he were simply Stalin...  :wacko:

If you disagree, just watch...Tiberius is probably going to drop in soon and prove my point...

22 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So, Trump is doing the right thing by reinstating the proper concepts of checks and balances but because it's Trump it's a bad thing?

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

QFT

4 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

you're a masochist.

look-at-what-just-built-with-all-the-san

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, Trump is doing the right thing by reinstating the proper concepts of checks and balances but because it's Trump it's a bad thing?

No.  If he continues that crusade throughout his presidency that would be great.  Right now it's easy to do as the GOP controls all three branches of government.  I worry about the future if Democrats control Congress and he's unable to get any of his policy goals done as president.  He doesn't seem like the type to me that will hold back and just accept the fact that he has little power.  l believe he will resort to ruling by executive fiat like Obama.

Edited by Doc Brown

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No.  If he continues that crusade throughout his presidency that would be great.  Right now it's easy to do as the GOP controls all three branches of government.  I worry about the future if Democrats control Congress and he's unable to get any of his policy goals done as president.  He doesn't seem like the type to me that will hold back and just accept the fact that he has little power.  l believe he will resort to ruling by executive fiat like Obama.

Well I guess we must all do our part to make sure the republicans control all three branches of government then. In all seriousness Trump has surprised most of us with his adherence to the Constitution. He's an enigma though. He's brash, rich, flashy, boorish at times, narcissistic and probably a philanderer, yet the evangelicals solidly support him. Very few if anyone call themselves a Trump supporter, yet his actions/agenda are widely approved. I'm betting that if he succeeds fairly well with his agenda and the economy continues to do well, you and many more that have reservations will be voting for him in 2020.

19 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I have had zero people look in my windows.  Well, at least when I was home.   That's... Almost 30 years living in da hood.

Get to know your neighbors, give them a copy of your keys.  Stick around for thirty years on a mortgage... Just like the old days.

Was up in Oak Brook yesterday... It's nice texting a neighbor and asking if they can take the UPS package off the steps and bring it in...

Yeah... We can fix this.  It's called getting to know one and another... Watching what goes on.  Anybody peers into anyone of our windows around here, and people will be on them like stink on schist.  I live in anything but a homogenous area... I grew up in a homogenous bubble... It was called S.Cheektowaga/WestSenca.  My father still lives in that house 60 years later. And you know what? The neighbors are still looking out for each other... Doing things, shoveling snow, getting maill, watching pets, leaving doors unlocked... Just like they do where I live now.

It's the people, the attitude that makes a neighborhood... And it starts with ONE person.  Maybe it's you?  I know my neighbors have weapons.  Same with my brother who lives with my father.  Would you be so sure I do or don't, you'll never know for sure.

Yeah... But cling to your weapon for protection. It takes other fundamental things first.

Sorry man.  Some shitholes you just can't change and Oakland is one of them.   Sure we looked out for one another.  Our security cam was set to not only check on our place but our neighbor's house too.  It did a great job of seeing a car pull up in front of our neighbor's and hear their window smashed and see the guys run in and out in three minutes.  Unfortunately we didn't get the plates of the car.  And even with the fundamentals of good neighbors it's not going to keep the brazen break ins that happened non-stop there.  It took the police 14 hours to check on us after our alarm was set off.   So sorry, if the bad guys have weapons and the police are zero help I will "cling" to my weapon to protect myself.  Or better yet.  I move the !@#$ out of dodge and move to a very safe neighborhood and not even need my weapons anymore other that to go have fun at the local range.  

16 hours ago, thebug said:

Go clean your gun loser! 

So are all gun owners losers?

29 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Sorry man.  Some shitholes you just can't change and Oakland is one of them.   Sure we looked out for one another.  Our security cam was set to not only check on our place but our neighbor's house too.  It did a great job of seeing a car pull up in front of our neighbor's and hear their window smashed and see the guys run in and out in three minutes.  Unfortunately we didn't get the plates of the car.  And even with the fundamentals of good neighbors it's not going to keep the brazen break ins that happened non-stop there.  It took the police 14 hours to check on us after our alarm was set off.   So sorry, if the bad guys have weapons and the police are zero help I will "cling" to my weapon to protect myself.  Or better yet.  I move the !@#$ out of dodge and move to a very safe neighborhood and not even need my weapons anymore other that to go have fun at the local range.  

So are all gun owners losers?

No