Golden Boy mad or is it fake? ProFootballtalk doubletalk

richNjoisy

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/09/report-brady-will-skip-otas-unless-he-gets-paid-like-jimmy-g/

The first story (now tagged as "Fake")

and the subsequent story:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/09/the-boston-herald-likely-will-be-retracting-a-patriots-story-again/

IMO, Mike Florio has been a Cheatriot apologist , like, forever (See Deflategate) and now HE is retracting someone else's story before

the retraction. Whatever. I found the reports fun to read, either way.

Go Bills!

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

He’s been taking less for years now because Gis makes a ton and the Cheaters are paying him on the side. Why would it change now?

He's like Jordan at this point.  His contract is still a huge amount of money, but when you add in his endorsement money he's probably just as high as anyone else.

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He's like Jordan at this point.  His contract is still a huge amount of money, but when you add in his endorsement money he's probably just as high as anyone else.

And being able to continue his career at an affordable rate is keeping him in the league and making him have commercial appeal. 

He's a douche. And I'd bludgeon him with a hammer if I could. I hope to get a GoFundMe for my defense

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/09/report-brady-will-skip-otas-unless-he-gets-paid-like-jimmy-g/

The first story (now tagged as "Fake")

and the subsequent story:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/09/the-boston-herald-likely-will-be-retracting-a-patriots-story-again/

IMO, Mike Florio has been a Cheatriot apologist , like, forever (See Deflategate) and now HE is retracting someone else's story before

the retraction. Whatever. I found the reports fun to read, either way.

Go Bills!

Who is the real loser here.??

WEEI’s Kirk & Callahan, a show listener known as “Nick in Boston” claims that he texted Borges, pretending to be Garoppolo’s agent, Don Yee.

Years ago a radio guy called and taped Buddy Nix talking on phone about needeing a QB, after calling him and pretending to be a NFL GM.

That loser got fired. What should happen to the fake texter?? Anything??

Maybe some rich agent like Don Yee can sue this fake texter loser and cost him a mega amount of money to defend. That is what that low life deserves. If I was Brady I would fund Don Lee to do that just out of spite. Maybe Borges could do the same to the texter. 

Edited by cba fan

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

if he wants more money they will funnel it into TB12.  trust me, he makes way more than Jimmy G no matter what the contracts say

Agreed I wouldn't put it past the Pats to circumvent the salary cap. They look for every advantage possible. How any agent would let his client take a below market deal is beyond suspicious.

25 minutes ago, cba fan said:

WEEI’s Kirk & Callahan, a show listener known as “Nick in Boston” claims that he texted Borges, pretending to be Garoppolo’s agent, Don Yee.

Years ago a radio guy called and taped Buddy Nix talking on phone about needeing a QB, after calling him and pretending to be a NFL GM.

Maybe some rich agent like Don Yee can sue this fake texter loser and cost him a mega amount of money to defend. That is what that low life deserves. If I was Brady I would fund Don Lee to do that just out of spite. Maybe Borges could do the same to the texter. 

The only person that should be fired is Borges for not vetting his sources properly before filing the story. 

This isn't the first time he's ran afoul of journalism standards: Globe's Borges suspended on plagiarism allegation

Edited by KevinInThe781

52 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Who would "fire" the texter?  And for what?

And what would Yee (or "Don Lee", for that matter) "sue" the prankster for?

This country is going crazy....

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who would "fire" the texter?  And for what?

And what would Yee (or "Don Lee", for that matter) "sue" the prankster for?

This country is going crazy....

There was a recent case where someone called in to the authorities that there was a hostage case at another location. The police responded to that location.

The situation spiraled out of control when the resident ended up being killed by the police because they thought he had a weapon. The person who made the prank call was arrested for I believe a manslaughter charge. 

Clearly I'm not suggesting that the situation in this thread is the same. However, I'm simply pointing out that a prankster call can willfully or not have tragic consequences. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

There was a recent case where someone called in to the authorities that there was a hostage case at another location. The police responded to that location.

The situation spiraled out of control when the resident ended up being killed by the police because they thought he had a weapon. The person who made the prank call was arrested for I believe a manslaughter charge. 

Clearly I'm not suggesting that the situation in this thread is the same. However, I'm simply pointing out that a prankster call can willfully or not have tragic consequences. 

The tragic consequences here are that Borges should be fired.  Which wouldn't be tragic for anyone else.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This guy Borges is the ultimate hack.

That said, people who find it funny to start fake news items deserve a special corner of hell.

I would argue that corner actually is reserved for journalists who find it necessary to run with a blind tip without waiting to verify sources. 

There's a lesson here that few journalists will learn. You always get at least two sources to verify a claim before you even speculate about the claim in print. But the rush to be first -- some sort of holy grail in sports for some ego-driven reason -- matters more. How many times, when you read a sports article, does the author cite in their story something like "So and so was first to report the story."?

Pranksters have been around, and will continue to be around, forever. Journalists who verify sources? Not so long, I predict.

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is  difference between making a false report to authorities and being a dope on sports talk radio!  

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

and like Doc said...his wife has a little bit of money as well

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

I'm told he's making millions just to wear the latest from Macy's women's department.

Brady 2.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

I would argue that corner actually is reserved for journalists who find it necessary to run with a blind tip without waiting to verify sources. 

There's a lesson here that few journalists will learn. You always get at least two sources to verify a claim before you even speculate about the claim in print. But the rush to be first -- some sort of holy grail in sports for some ego-driven reason -- matters more. How many times, when you read a sports article, does the author cite in their story something like "So and so was first to report the story."?

Pranksters have been around, and will continue to be around, forever. Journalists who verify sources? Not so long, I predict.

The bar in sports journalism is much lower. Not saying our friend JW cuts corners, but others certainly do in order to get clicks. Plus sports writers are competing with independent bloggers who rarely have any standards.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The bar in sports journalism is much lower. Not saying our friend JW cuts corners, but others certainly do in order to get clicks. Plus sports writers are competing with independent bloggers who rarely have any standards.

I think sadly that the bar in all journalism is now much lower.  In my day it didn't matter, news or sport, if I got a story I never even took it to my editor before I had at least something from another source to corroborate - even if that "something" was, on occasion, a pointed refusal to deny.  I stopped being a journalist about 11 years ago and since then I think social media has created a rush to be "first".  It is all about getting out there and shaping the narrative. The sense of professionalism that the industry used to have to be not just first, but right, has gone by the wayside.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

On most topics in this world, JW and I tend to disagree. But he is, to me, the gold standard for Bills reporting. Period.

And he knows, if you try to compete with independent bloggers, you soon become an independent blogger.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think sadly that the bar in all journalism is now much lower.  In my day it didn't matter, news or sport, if I got a story I never even took it to my editor before I had at least something from another source to corroborate - even if that "something" was, on occasion, a pointed refusal to deny.  I stopped being a journalist about 11 years ago and since then I think social media has created a rush to be "first".  It is all about getting out there and shaping the narrative. The sense of professionalism that the industry used to have to be not just first, but right, has gone by the wayside.  

That is very interesting. "a pointed refusal to deny". Thanks for that.

that is pretty much a confirmation your info is accurate??

So you could write. "when contacted, Josh McDaniel's adamantly refuses to deny reports he has been assured he will succeed Bellicheck as HC when Bellicheck retires"

Then let the readers decide how to interpret that. Win win for writer. Honest and accurate. Clickable. Meanwhile you can muse about what this could all mean in your piece if the lack of denial means it is true. Again win win.

To take it even further, you could quote the source of info and then quote McDaniels denying it and still make an article although you may be ripped going that route and lose McDaniel as a source.

Edited by cba fan

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I also worked as a freelance sports writer for a few years at the local paper. Mostly high school, nothing pro. I can assure you their standards were quite high. I also think most "real" papers still employ high standards. I could go down a road that would end up at PPP, so I won't.

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

That is very interesting. "a pointed refusal to deny". Thanks for that.

that is pretty much a confirmation your info is accurate??

So you could write. "when contacted, Josh McDaniel's adamantly refuses to deny reports he has been assured he will succeed Bellicheck as HC when Bellicheck retires"

Then let the readers decide how to interpret that. Win win for writer. Honest and accurate. Clickable.

It is not confirmation that your information is accurate but in some situations it gives you a pretty good sense that you are onto something.  I won't go into details but I go a story from a player for a soccer club in the UK that a player who was being reported as "injured" had actually had a major fallout with the manager and was not being picked for that reason.  I knew a guy on the club's equipment staff and called him.  He didn't confirm the story.  But he did not tell me I was wrong when asked point blank.  I took it to my editor and he decided that was not enough proof and we didn't run it (it was sensitive for us because the station I worked for had a commercial relationship with the club in question).  A national paper ran the story two days later as a back page lead and the club eventually had to admit it was true.  I don't blame my editor... he had reason to tread carefully given I didn't exactly have corroboration.  But the equipment guy who I called was someone who if it was not true would have told me straight away.  He didn't and I was then convinced there was something in it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dulles said:

There is  difference between making a false report to authorities and being a dope on sports talk radio!  

Obviously so. You didn't carefully read what I wrote about prankster calls.  This is a quote from the post: "Clearly the situation in this thread is not the same." I hope this clarifies your confusion. 

3 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

This is a perfect example of winning covers up a lot of sins. When you’re not winning, the ugliness creeps in. The butler story. The complaining in the locker room. This Brady story. They’re starting to look like every other team. 

Holy cow---really?  Still??

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:40 AM, Doc said:

He’s been taking less for years now because Gis makes a ton and the Cheaters are paying him on the side. Why would it change now?

the league better keep an eye on how much Brady makes from the Pats after his playing days or over.  Is there any rule that keeps the Pats form paying him 5 million per year to consult? 

On 2/9/2018 at 7:46 AM, dneveu said:

The word is that Kraft adds more directly to Brady's salary by investing in his business ventures.  Dunno if it's true but it would explain why Brady is willing to play for the Patriots at a "friends and family" discount