Best players comparatively at their position

Mango

A friend and I were having a conversation the other day about players who were best compared to everybody else they were playing against in their era. Hands down better than everybody else at their position without question. 

We are at the tail end of a QB surplus, so it’s hard to argue a guy like Rogers who plays with Brees, Brady, and Manning. All are sure fire first ballot HoF, and  no one isn’t a standard deviation better than the rest. 

Pass Rushers are hard from the mid 80’s to 90’s as well. Bruce, Reggie White, LT. They had peers of similar caliber.

Same with RB. Thurman, Barry Sanders, Emmett Smith. 

My thoughts on guys I can remember since I understood football, not just watched: 

Adrian Peterson

Derrelle Revis

Ray Lewis- Urlacher is over rated IMO

Steve Tasker- as a special teamer 

Devin Hester- as a returner

Pat Williams- might be a homer pick

Any others? 

Edited by Mango

List of the best of the last 20 years

WR- Moss, TO, Antonio Brown, Megatron, and Larry Fitzgerald

Edge- Julius Peppers, V.Miller, Ware, Strahan, Rice

Tackle- Thomas, Pace, Peters, Jones, Ogden

RB- Tomlinson, Faulk, Peterson, Bell- Zeke and David Johnson both have a very decent chance at making it too.

TE- Gonzalez, Gronk, Gates... Only draft TE's who's last name starts with G

DT- Sapp, Wilfork, Seymour, Donald, Watt 

LB- Lewis, Brooks, Urlacher, Willis

Safety- Polamalu, Reed, Dawkins, Berry 

CB- C. Woodson, Revis, Bailey, Peterson, Sherman

C- Saturday, Kreutz, Mawae,  Mack

G- L. Allen, Faneca, Hutchinson, Brown, Martin, Yanda

Edited by ThunderGun
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

Edge- Julius Peppers, V.Miller, Ware, Strahan

RB- Tomlinson, Faulk, Peterson, Bell- Zeke and David Johnson both have a very decent chance at making it too.

20 years was an estimate for my life. In my early 30’s. I can’t say I understood football at a mediocre level until later. In you lifetime would probably be better....but hey narcissism. 

Lokikngdor exponentially better than than everybody else.

The quoted are a ton of guys who are arguably similar to others. Gotta pick a singular guy. 

WR- I would say Moss is easily the most talented of all time. Not even a question. But production and effort don’t match up. 

DE- another log jam of similar output. If you can’t differentiate, then I’d say it’s a disqualified position. Strahan was always solid, he did have a season with 20+ sacks with the next best at something like 15. Argument coupd be made. 

OL as a whole- in all honesty, I’m not fluent enough in OL play to differentiate between very good/dominant and better than the entire league. I just don’t watch individuals enough there to have an opinion.  

RB- those are good. Not much overlap. I think you hit it pretty well. 

TE- as a complete player, there’s Gronk and a mile between every other TE in the league in his tenure. As a pass catcher it’s arguable. Gonzalez is probably the closest. 

DT- this gets tough. But Sapp deserves credit. I broke it down as pass rusher. So I over looked 

LB- IMO Ray Lewis since 2001 and it’s not close.

CB-Revis. Honorable mention Peterson because DR is on the downside of his career. 

Name one player who was the absolute best at any position, that most would agree on, during their playing time. 

Edited by Mango

I hate to say this considering (1) it's cliche, and (2) he was a failure as a human - but OJ was maybe the most dominant player I've ever seen. 

Back in the 1970s, football was about the run.   Teams wanted franchise RBs back then the way teams want franchise QBs today.  Defenses were geared to stop  the run. 

And in that environment, OJ gained 2,003 yards when the next best guy only gained 1,144.  

OJ just about doubled the rushing total of the #5 leading rusher in 1973 (HOFer Larry Csonka, 1003). 

The #5 guy on the passing yardage list this past season was Big Ben with 4,251 yards.  Imagine Brady threw for 8,000+ yards instead of 4,577.  That's how dominant OJ was in '73.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hate to say this considering (1) it's cliche, and (2) he was a failure as a human - but OJ was maybe the most dominant player I've ever seen. 

Back in the 1970s, football was about the run.   Teams wanted franchise RBs back then the way teams want franchise QBs today.  Defenses were geared to stop  the run. 

And in that environment, OJ gained 2,003 yards when the next best guy only gained 1,144.  

OJ just about doubled the rushing total of the #5 leading rusher in 1973 (HOFer Larry Csonka, 1003). 

The #5 guy on the passing yardage list this past season was Big Ben with 4,251 yards.  Imagine Brady threw for 8,000+ yards instead of 4,577.  That's how dominant OJ was in '73.

Yes, I saw OJ, and he was better than any other imho.  He had speed, cutback ability and power.  But, he needed a good line, as do any rb's on the list.  OJ had a few mediocre years before the all world season you quote.

12 hours ago, Mango said:

A friend and I were having a conversation the other day about players who were best compared to everybody else they were playing against in their era. Hands down better than everybody else at their position without question. 

We are at the tail end of a QB surplus, so it’s hard to argue a guy like Rogers who plays with Brees, Brady, and Manning. All are sure fire first ballot HoF, and  no one isn’t a standard deviation better than the rest. 

Pass Rushers are hard from the mid 80’s to 90’s as well. Bruce, Reggie White, LT. They had peers of similar caliber.

My thoughts on guys I can remember since I understood football, not just watched: 

Adrian Peterson

Derrelle Revis

Any others? 

Jerry Rice springs to mind. People can argue about Reed/Sterling Sharpe pre injury or whomever else they want...the man was a freak and head and shoulders above anyone else.

12 hours ago, Mango said:

Adrian Peterson

Derrelle Revis

Any others? 

Urlacher is under rated, that cover 2 defense that the Bears played required a MLB that could cover the deep middle, go sideline to sideline and stuff runnng lanes. He was around 6'4 254 and looked faster than players 40 lbs lighter. His film study was top notch, like Luke Kuekly he appeared to know where the play was going before it happened. All I can say after watching him play for his whole career is that a player like him comes around once every 20 years.

I will just go with the best I've seen do it and who comes to mind when I think of the position:

QB: No response because i don't like the answer.  But he's head and shoulders above anyone playing in this era or the last.

RB: Every time Barry Sanders ran the ball i held my breath.  It was amazing to watch.  He won't go down as the best ever because he retired early, played on a bad team, had a lot of negative plays, and comparatively was right there in many ways with Emmitt and Thurman, but he was the most fun to watch.  Walter Payton was the smoothest and Jim Brown was the toughest.  Depends on what style you prefer.

WR: Randy Moss is a freak.  Jerry Rice had the best career but Moss is just a whole other level of athlete.  He could have been pro in a number of sports and was a freak.  Best to do it imo.

DE: Bruce is probably the 2nd best of all time which is amazing that he played for our team.  Reggie White was the best though.  But Bruce stands out as a pure athlete who had power, size, strength, speed.

LB: Lawrence Taylor is the prototypical LB and a mean sob.  One of the best players in the NFL during his era.

S: Ronnie Lott.  Ed Reed is up there but Lott had absolutely no regard for his body and would light receivers up.  It would be a flag in today's game but back then it was fun to watch.

CB: Darelle Revis was an absolute lock down corner for about 5-6 yrs where you couldn't even throw his way.  Prime Time comes to mind but he refused to tackle and he was all about the fame.  Tough call.

Edited by kdiggz

Two or three years ago nobody even thought about Urlacher. Now that he's up for the Hall of Fame people remember him as one of the best ever, that's a joke

He might have been in the top 50 linebackers, I really don't know. he might be worth the Hall of Fame, I don't know. But I do know that he is not worthy of being called one of the best at his position

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2018 at 1:33 AM, Mango said:

Adrian Peterson

Derrelle Revis

Any others? 

You lost me at Urlacher is over rated and listing Adrian Peterson over Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith. BTW Jim Brown is the best RB of all time in any era.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

I didn’t put AP as better than Sanaders or Emmett. The question was guys who were exponentially better than everybody they played with. 

AP early and mid career was hands down the best RB in the league, with the next best a mile back. The question wasn’t meant to cross era’s 

21 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I will just go with the best I've seen do it and who comes to mind when I think of the position:

QB: No response because i don't like the answer.  But he's head and shoulders above anyone playing in this era or the last.

RB: Every time Barry Sanders ran the ball i held my breath.  It was amazing to watch.  He won't go down as the best ever because he retired early, played on a bad team, had a lot of negative plays, and comparatively was right there in many ways with Emmitt and Thurman, but he was the most fun to watch.  Walter Payton was the smoothest and Jim Brown was the toughest.  Depends on what style you prefer.

WR: Randy Moss is a freak.  Jerry Rice had the best career but Moss is just a whole other level of athlete.  He could have been pro in a number of sports and was a freak.  Best to do it imo.

DE: Bruce is probably the 2nd best of all time which is amazing that he played for our team.  Reggie White was the best though.  But Bruce stands out as a pure athlete who had power, size, strength, speed.

LB: Lawrence Taylor is the prototypical LB and a mean sob.  One of the best players in the NFL during his era.

S: Ronnie Lott.  Ed Reed is up there but Lott had absolutely no regard for his body and would light receivers up.  It would be a flag in today's game but back then it was fun to watch.

CB: Darelle Revis was an absolute lock down corner for about 5-6 yrs where you couldn't even throw his way.  Prime Time comes to mind but he refused to tackle and he was all about the fame.  Tough call.

I agree with you about Moss.  No one at WR dominated like he did.

Rice is the greatest ever because of his total career no doubt.  But if you gave me the choice between a 26 year old Moss and 26 year old Rice...I take Moss.

• Thank you (+1) 1

QB: Brady and then Rodgers and no one besides Brees is that close.

RB: Barry Sanders.

WR: Randy Moss.

DE: Bruce Smith or JJ Watt. Then 2011 Jared Allen.

LB: Urlacher is meh IMO. Kuechly is the new NFL prototype and has been the standard at MLB for some time now.

S: Honestly would put the Chancellor/Thomas combo up for consideration. 

CB: Tie between Champ Bailey and Revis. 

22 hours ago, kdiggz said:

This list is dead on.

and despite being a crazy Bills fan, Barry Sanders is my favorite NFL player of all time for the wow-factor you mention above. The guy simply made magic happen.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

QB: Brady and then Rodgers and no one besides Brees is that close.

RB: Barry Sanders.

WR: Randy Moss.

DE: Bruce Smith or JJ Watt. Then 2011 Jared Allen.

LB: Urlacher is meh IMO. Kuechly is the new NFL prototype and has been the standard at MLB for some time now.

S: Honestly would put the Chancellor/Thomas combo up for consideration. 

CB: Tie between Champ Bailey and Revis. 

I like where you are on a lot of this. 

Guys to me that hat had no peers in their primes (in the last 20 years): Moss, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Barry Sanders, Tony Gonzalez, Revis, and Aaron Donald at the moment.

The best player in football right now is Antonio Brown.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Definitely the first one to jump into my mind. The most physically gifted WR to ever play the game.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/9/2018 at 1:16 AM, ThunderGun said:

In my lifetime:

Quarterback:  This has always been a battle of what you consider the most important in the position.  Do you want a guy who dominates the stat sheet?  Or the guy who wins in the clutch?  Back in the day, the argument was Joe Montana vs. Dan Marino.  Then it became Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady.  There is a chance Aaron Rodgers joins this list eventually.

Running Back:  Barry Sanders (best big play RB), Emmitt Smith (best between the tackles grinder), LT (best all-purpose back)

Wide Receiver:  Jerry Rice alone.  Randy Moss could have been the best, but often wasted his talent.  Calvin Johnson was on his way, but retired too early.

Tight End:  Tony Gonzalez by himself.

Offensive Linemen:  Anthony Munuz.  Lots of other great ones, but nobody really that stands out in my mind.

Defensive Ends:  Bruce Smith, Reggie White

Defensive Tackle:  Lots of really good ones.  Nobody that really stood head and shoulders above the rest.

Outside Linebacker:  Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas

Inside Linebacker:  Ray Lewis, Junior Seau

Cornerback:  Deion Sanders, Darrell Revis

Safety:  Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed

1 hour ago, Playoffs? said:

This list is dead on.

and despite being a crazy Bills fan, Barry Sanders is my favorite NFL player of all time for the wow-factor you mention above. The guy simply made magic happen.

yea it was crazy to watch.  it was like his hips weren't attached to the rest of his body.  i don't know how he wiggled like that but he could make anyone miss

On 2/9/2018 at 2:16 AM, ThunderGun said:

Sadly out of this group of players the Bills had TO for one year when his play was declining and Peters for 5 years before his play peaked.

7 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Two or three years ago nobody even thought about Urlacher. Now that he's up for the Hall of Fame people remember him as one of the best ever, that's a joke

He might have been in the top 50 linebackers, I really don't know. he might be worth the Hall of Fame, I don't know. But I do know that he is not worthy of being called one of the best at his position

Urlacher = roids, easy NO to the HOF, let alone 1st ballot. Another huge error in judgment by the voters.

23 minutes ago, Rico said:

Urlacher = roids, easy NO to the HOF, let alone 1st ballot. Another huge error in judgment by the voters.

He's only famous because he banged Paris Hilton... But so did everybody

He was a celebrity that if he played in any other town he wouldn't have been known. That little midget Zach Thomas was a better linebacker

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like where you are on a lot of this. 

Guys to me that hat had no peers in their primes (in the last 20 years): Moss, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Barry Sanders, Tony Gonzalez, Revis, and Aaron Donald at the moment.

The best player in football right now is Antonio Brown.

Antonio Brown has the better body of work, no doubt, but I would straight up take Deandre Hopkins over him if you asked me who the best wideout in the league today is.

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Antonio Brown has the better body of work, no doubt, but I would straight up take Deandre Hopkins over him if you asked me who the best wideout in the league today is.

Interesting and he had a great year. I just think that Brown dominates and is ridiculously consistent. That game he played against Jacksonville was unbelievable (and he was hurt). IMO, he’s the best player in football (Aaron Donald might be next). 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

A fine player, but closer to the Hall of Very Good than the Hall of Fame.

He got voted in because he was a Chicago icon and was very well liked.  But Ray Lewis was so much better than him, it's absurd.

20 hours ago, mjt328 said:

In my lifetime:

Quarterback:  This has always been a battle of what you consider the most important in the position.  Do you want a guy who dominates the stat sheet?  Or the guy who wins in the clutch?  Back in the day, the argument was Joe Montana vs. Dan Marino.  Then it became Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady.  There is a chance Aaron Rodgers joins this list eventually.

Running Back:  Barry Sanders (best big play RB), Emmitt Smith (best between the tackles grinder), LT (best all-purpose back)

Wide Receiver:  Jerry Rice alone.  Randy Moss could have been the best, but often wasted his talent.  Calvin Johnson was on his way, but retired too early.

Tight End:  Tony Gonzalez by himself.

Offensive Linemen:  Anthony Munuz.  Lots of other great ones, but nobody really that stands out in my mind.

Defensive Ends:  Bruce Smith, Reggie White

Defensive Tackle:  Lots of really good ones.  Nobody that really stood head and shoulders above the rest.

Outside Linebacker:  Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas

Inside Linebacker:  Ray Lewis, Junior Seau

Cornerback:  Deion Sanders, Darrell Revis

Safety:  Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed

Tough to argue any of your opinions.

Good list!!

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, kdiggz said:

Great call!  I'm shocked that it took this many posts for someone to mention Lott (must be a bunch of youngsters posting above!).

There isn't a single S ho has played in the last 5 years (minus Troy P) who would start ahead of Lott on the same team.  WR's actually feared him.  No one fears any DB today. 

21 hours ago, mjt328 said:

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:34 AM, Mango said:

WR- I would say Moss is easily the most talented of all time. Not even a question. But production and effort don’t match up

Yeah the bolded parts aren't consistent with his career:  in 10 of his first 12 seasons, he had over 1000yards receiving.  8 were over 1200.  4 over 1400.

That's a lot of production and effort.  Little wasted talent.

On 2/9/2018 at 2:12 PM, kdiggz said:

I'll be 35 this year.  There was never a more feared corner in my lifetime than Deion.

He admitted that he didn't like to tackle, but he did indeed tackle.  That narrative is a false one about Prime.

His ball skills and speed have never been seen before or since and to top it all, Sanders was ultra physical.

Revis, aside from tackling technique, is in no way better than Deion Sanders. 

Edited by Chicken Boo

QB: Brett Favre. In the mid-90s, before the emergence of Manning and Brady, he had no peers. He was NFL MVP for 3 years running.

RB: Marshall Faulk. He was hands down the best RB in the league from 99-01.

TE: Gronk. He's a scumbag, but he's been the most dangerous TE in football by a good margin over the last few years.

WR: Sammy Watkins. He may not have the numbers, but no one plays decoy on his level.

DE: JJ Watt. Prior to his injury he was arguably the best player in the NFL.

DT: Ted Washington. He maybe wasn't the best all around DT of his time, but nobody clogged the middle of the line like he did.

CB: Deion Sanders. The most feared CB of his time.

S: Ed Reed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

QB: Brett Favre. In the mid-90s, before the emergence of Manning and Brady, he had no peers. He was NFL MVP for 3 years running.

RB: Marshall Faulk. He was hands down the best RB in the league from 99-01.

TE: Gronk. He's a scumbag, but he's been the most dangerous TE in football by a good margin over the last few years.

WR: Sammy Watkins. He may not have the numbers, but no one plays decoy on his level.

DE: JJ Watt. Prior to his injury he was arguably the best player in the NFL.

DT: Ted Washington. He maybe wasn't the best all around DT of his time, but nobody clogged the middle of the line like he did.

CB: Deion Sanders. The most feared CB of his time.

S: Ed Reed.

This is really good. Can't argue with any of these. No peers in their prime. 

Fully agree on Ted Washington. For what he was tasked with doing, there wasn't a better NT in the game, and it isn't close. 

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah the bolded parts aren't consistent with his career:  in 10 of his first 12 seasons, he had over 1000yards receiving.  8 were over 1200.  4 over 1400.

So you think that Randy Moss had a career that produced equally to his physical talent/ability? 

Based on how I am reading that, it sounds like you think Jerry Rice was equally as physically gifted as Randy Moss?

On 2/9/2018 at 2:16 AM, ThunderGun said:

Where are the bills players? TO doesn't count.

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even back in his Minnesota days, Randy Moss was always accused of taking plays off.  Especially on running plays or when the ball wasn't coming his way.

Same thing during his years in Oakland, and especially at the tail-end of his career when he was bouncing around to different teams. 

In my opinion, Moss sailed by on talent alone for 15 years and STILL managed to put up (what should have been) a 1st ballot Hall of Fame career.

Think about Jerry Rice's legendary work ethic, and imagine if Moss had put a fraction of that into his own play.  The guy would have obliterated every receiving record.

THE BEST PLAYERS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFETIME SO FAR! (HONORABLE MENTION)

QB T.BRADY (P.MANNING)

RB B.SANDERS (BO JACKSON)

WR J.RICE (R.MOSS)

TE R.GRONKOWSKI (T.GONZALEZ)

T A.MUNOZ (J.OGDEN)

G R.MCDANIEL (B.MATTHEWS)

C D.DAWSON (K.MAWAE)

DE R.WHITE (B.SMITH)

DT J.RANDLE (A.DONALD)

OLB L.TAYLOR (D.THOMAS)

MLB R.LEWIS (L.KUECHLY)

CB D.SANDERS (R.WOODSON/C.WOODSON)

S R.LOTT (ED REED)

K A.VINATIERI (M.ANDERSON)

GM/HEADCOACH

GM B.POLIAN (R.WOLF)

HC B.BELICHICK (B.WALSH)

11 hours ago, Mango said:

So you think that Randy Moss had a career that produced equally to his physical talent/ability? 

Based on how I am reading that, it sounds like you think Jerry Rice was equally as physically gifted as Randy Moss?

Look at his stats.  Yes I do.  Why do you think he didn't?

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Even back in his Minnesota days, Randy Moss was always accused of taking plays off.  Especially on running plays or when the ball wasn't coming his way.

Same thing during his years in Oakland, and especially at the tail-end of his career when he was bouncing around to different teams. 

In my opinion, Moss sailed by on talent alone for 15 years and STILL managed to put up (what should have been) a 1st ballot Hall of Fame career.

Think about Jerry Rice's legendary work ethic, and imagine if Moss had put a fraction of that into his own play.  The guy would have obliterated every receiving record.

Rice's legendary work ethic related mainly to his off-season conditioning.  He took plays off, every WR does.  How does acting liking a decoy (or dogging it while doing so) make you a worse WR??  If running decoy patterns instead of catching passes mattered in this discussion, Sammy Watkins would be in the HOF right now...

If Moss played for 7 more seasons like Rice did, or if he had Joe Montana and Steve young throwing his passes, he would have destroyed all records.  Of course.