Why are some hardboiled eggs harder to peel than others?

Ned Flanders

OK. If the shell is hard to peel it means you've got a fresh egg. If it comes from the supermarket, chances are you lucked into a carton with a couple of eggs from the newest batch from the eggery. If they're from the neighbors or your own chickens, which tend to have more shell integrity due to a diverse diet from the hens as opposed to pure feed (scratch, bugs, more calcium etc), good on you for keeping up with the laying. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Just fought with an hardboiled egg for what seemed like an eternity to rid the bastard of shells...yesterday's egg, cooked in the same lot, was much easier to peel, however.  What the hell gives?

I always had a problem with this too... watch a dozen youtube video's, etc.. and find that your best bet is to let the eggs come to room temp, get the water boiling, add the eggs, add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, then close the lid and turn it off. In 20 minutes they peel easily. I do get what the other poster said about fresh eggs though, it is true, they are a tougher peel. For some reason the vinegar method works here. I roll them before I peel them too if that is any help.

44 minutes ago, T&C said:

I always had a problem with this too... watch a dozen youtube video's, etc.. and find that your best bet is to let the eggs come to room temp, get the water boiling, add the eggs, add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, then close the lid and turn it off. In 20 minutes they peel easily. I do get what the other poster said about fresh eggs though, it is true, they are a tougher peel. For some reason the vinegar method works here. I roll them before I peel them too if that is any help.

This method works.

34 minutes ago, dhg said:

Just get one of these!

magic-eggstractor-1_1024x1024.jpg

Who the !@#$ orders an egg hero?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This method works.

Who the !@#$ orders an egg hero?

they do, hopefully someone whose innards can handle six eggs in one meal gas-wise

never had a problem peeling one to the point where it was painful or more than a bit of a hassle

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Just fought with an hardboiled egg for what seemed like an eternity to rid the bastard of shells...yesterday's egg, cooked in the same lot, was much easier to peel, however.  What the hell gives?

Older eggs are supposed to peel more easily.

• Like (+1) 1

Vinegar is the trick .... check this out. Pretty much tests all ways listed above.                                                                                                              https://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewjedeikin/vinegar-makes-eggs-easier-to-peel?utm_term=.bwr0Kzb27#.lhoD4GQnz

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

OK. If the shell is hard to peel it means you've got a fresh egg. If it comes from the supermarket, chances are you lucked into a carton with a couple of eggs from the newest batch from the eggery. If they're from the neighbors or your own chickens, which tend to have more shell integrity due to a diverse diet from the hens as opposed to pure feed (scratch, bugs, more calcium etc), good on you for keeping up with the laying. 

That’s what I’ve heard....the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peal. So it’s a trade off. 

5 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

My wife told me this like 2 days ago. Why is this topic so relevant?!  :lol:

So, the moral of the story is to buy your eggs and store them in the pantry for about a year. That should make for some nice easy peeling. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, Augie said:

I left some in the basement once, for a bit too long. That smell would gag a maggot from halfway down the stairs! 

I wonder what maggot puke looks like.

spoon is the way to go.  Pop the air bubble at top and follow contours of the egg with the spoon.  Voila.  I can't give away all my chef tricks

And as someone already stated, older eggs are easier to peel.

I myself love a 145 degree sous vide egg on a steak, salad, burger, sandwich, or any other food item

On 2/8/2018 at 3:33 PM, Azalin said:

When I worked in restaurants I learned that placing the eggs in an ice bath immediately after boiling makes the shell come off very easily. It works like a charm, every time.

i have also been doing this for quite some time. can't remember where or when i first heard it, but it works for me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2018-02-06 at 10:32 AM, GoBills808 said:

Look at the brain on Brad.