In-Depth Breakdown of Josh Allen by Eliot Crist, Greg Cosell, Joe B, and Other Analysts

Damn good breakdown.  If we take Allen, he will need to sit for at least a year and maybe two while a bridge guy like Bradford plays.  We also need a QB guru to rebuild his mechanics from scratch.  We do not have such a coach on staff atm.

• Like (+1) 1

Our last 1st Rd QB picked was a 6'5" 240lb guy who could move with a big arm.  The problem was his accuracy and ball placement.  This would be the same mistake.  A team can only draft this guy if they have a coach with a history of fixing the problems Allen has.  It is probably a multi year process.

• Like (+1) 4

Allen worries me way too much... Too much relyng on arm strength and size but way to raw and loose on the fundamentals that make great QB's great

With the speed/intelligence transisiton of the NFL game I just do not see him learning consistency and great mechanics quickly.

if he slides down into the 2nd or 3rd round I'd grab him and try to groom him but he is not a day 1 starter and may take more than a year to iron out those bad habits. Whomever drafts him has ot be super patient and have a vet who can hold the reigns for more than a single season

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

From a raw talent standpoint Allen has it all which is why he will likely be drafted very high.

Personally I have a 2nd round grade on him but still think he's too much of a true 'boom/bust' guy that is going to need the perfect organization and support structure around him for any chance of him to not turning into another Losman or Manuel type of player.

• Like (+1) 1

“Isn’t a ready to go franchise changer like Cam Newton”.  Newton wasn’t either, when he came out.  But his needle points a little too close to Gabbert and Bortles, for me.  I don’t like the EJ comparison at all.  He would definitely need at least a year though in my opinion.

Edited by DFT

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

He  literally bit my opening line from my scouting report in the tweet!

" The most polarizing prospect in the draft!"

That's been the line in many places because of the tantalizing physical talent mixed with inconsistent tape and sloppy mechanics. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Regardless of how he turns out, 66 MPH is remarkable. It's basically Aroldis Chapman-level.

And I believe that was just on a regular pass; he wasn't even necessarily trying to throw it as hard as possible. I'm curious to see what his velocity is at the Combine just for the sheer absurdity of it.

Anyone who takes Allen in the 1st round is making a big mistake. 

He's got upside, but he's also got enormous downside. Guys like him rarely succeed at the NFL level. 

I don't think he's worth anything more than a 4th round pick. He's too raw and too much has to go right for him to become a top QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nah. Stay away.

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Anyone who takes Allen in the 1st round is making a big mistake. 

He's got upside, but he's also got enormous downside. Guys like him rarely succeed at the NFL level. 

I don't think he's worth anything more than a 4th round pick. He's too raw and too much has to go right for him to become a top QB. 

100%.

Teams get too enamoured with potential and physical traits. Allen likely needs to sit and learn for 2/3 years. You don’t draft that in round 1. 

In the event anyone has not seen this yet, check out this video of Allen missing the net completely from 10 yards away during a senior bowl drill.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/josh-allen-wyoming-senior-bowl-throw-video-miss-workout-accuracy-browns-nfl-draft

I know it could have been nerves but it is very funny.

That said, I would take him at 21 and let him sit for two years.  Top 5 or 10, not so much.

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Josh Allen = Jake Locker. 

He reminds me more of Kaepernick, although I don't think Allen is as good a runner.  Big arm, can throw a rocket, zero touch and NOT a very catchable ball.  

On 2/1/2018 at 2:35 PM, Jay_Fixit said:

Nah. Stay away.

100%.

Teams get too enamoured with potential and physical traits. Allen likely needs to sit and learn for 2/3 years. You don’t draft that in round 1. 

I don't see anything different between Josh Allen and EJ Manuel when he was a prospect.

Exact same pros, exact same cons that QBs rarely ever correct at the pro level. 

If you put Josh Allen in Baker Mayfield's body, he's nothing more than a flyer on the 3rd day of the draft. Is the fact that he's 6'5, 240 really what makes a player worthy of a 1st round pick, or should it be the way they actually play football on the field? 

Allen is severely flawed. I hope he goes early because it means a better player falls to us. 

Edited by jrober38

On 2/1/2018 at 7:27 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen's turn to be critiqued. 

U can have all the tools in your shed doesnt mean u can build a kitchen or even a bathroom. That's my pov on Allen. He's got all the tools but doesn't know how to use them properly.  He's a project and don't trade up for projects. I think he should really start getting consideration in the 2nd or 3rd rds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to In-Depth Breakdown of Josh Allen by Eliot Crist and Other Analysts

Move The Sticks Podcast: Who should draft Josh Allen?
Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks scout one of the biggest arms to come out of the college ranks, Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen. The guys speak with his college head coach (6:35) and his trainers leading up to the draft (16:39, 28:12) before they sit down with the former Cowboys QB himself (34:36). Which franchise should pick Allen? How is he fine-tuning his game heading into the NFL? Find out on this Move the Sticks 360 episode.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2018 at 11:48 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Perfect first hand analogy by Billick.

People should believe Billick.  He has first-hand experience and knows what the hell he's talking about in this case.  This is not to say that Allen will be a failure.  He could very well revolutionize the position, but if you are taking him in the top 5 does his potential outweigh the MAJOR concern as Billick indicated?  I'd be scared as hell to take Allen, especially in the top 5.

4 minutes ago, dayman said:

Allen is worth a gamble if we can get him. 

Get him where though? If they moved up to get him I'd wonder if there was booze in the war room. If they got him at 22 I'd be indifferent. If they got him in round 2 I'd build a statue of Beane in my yard.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, slaphappy said:

Get him where though? If they moved up to get him I'd wonder if there was booze in the war room. If they got him at 22 I'd be indifferent. If they got him in round 2 I'd build a statue of Beane in my yard.

I don't mind him at 12 at all.  I'm pissed if we trade 12, 22, a 2019 1st, a 2nd so on and so forth.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I don't mind him at 12 at all.  I'm pissed if we trade 12, 22, a 2019 1st, a 2nd so on and so forth.

12 is looking like the perfect spot to get Mayfield or Allen. I'd prefer Mayfield, but whatever...."process" and all that...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

People should believe Billick.  He has first-hand experience and knows what the hell he's talking about in this case.  This is not to say that Allen will be a failure.  He could very well revolutionize the position, but if you are taking him in the top 5 does his potential outweigh the MAJOR concern as Billick indicated?  I'd be scared as hell to take Allen, especially in the top 5.

No.

He has first hand experience with Kyle Boller, not Josh Allen.

No two players are the same.

Fwiw I agree that he's a huge upside and a very low downside.

The problem is people talk in extremes.

Just because he has great tools doesn't mean he'll be great, but just because he doesn't reach that potential doesn't mean he will be terrible either.

It's not an either-or.

There is plenty of room in the middle.

32 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

No.

He has first hand experience with Kyle Boller, not Josh Allen.

No two players are the same.

Fwiw I agree that he's a huge upside and a very low downside.

The problem is people talk in extremes.

Just because he has great tools doesn't mean he'll be great, but just because he doesn't reach that potential doesn't mean he will be terrible either.

It's not an either-or.

There is plenty of room in the middle.

I completely agree with what you say here. The problem is if the bills draft him at 12 or, more to the point, use draft picks to move up and get him, even ending up in the middle equates to his being a bust.

It’s amazing to read the wide range of predictions about this guy from all of the “experts“. “Polarizing“ is indeed the term to use with regard to him. But, As a bills fan trusting the process, if we get him I’ll be OK with it.