Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

If only the Bills didn't pass on QBs in last years draft yet again. 

They had their chance at Mahomes and Watson. They passed as the franchise always does at the QB position. 

Watson showed promise.  Mahomes didn't do anything.   

I could see 1 star from a draft calss, not 2.     

Sure you could cite Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota , but have either shown themselves to be a star yet? 

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Sure you could cite Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota , but have either shown themselves to be a star yet? 

Winston and Marcus weren't last year...

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I love Tre White, but (and hindsight not included) I loved Watson and would have taken him at 10.

Loved him and I didn't agree with the neigh-sayers on him.

I am rarely right, case in point as I used to always pick celery to win at Bisons games...but I believe I was, and shall continue, to be right about Watson.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

But what you are forgetting is how much it will cost the Vikings to sign Cousins...oh wait, you didn't forget that at all.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Vikings:  $56,000,000

Jets:  $79,000,000

Bills:  $31,000,000 (maybe a wash when you get rid of TT/Woods cap hit from retirement).  

I respect a lot of you guys around here.

That said, JEEPERS DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS GOING TO COST TO SIGN THIS GUY IN BUFFALO?!

It is probably going to be a $125 million plus deal, with probably $90,000,000 or so guaranteed.  He is a good QB.  However, are you so sure he as THAT good to put this team's cap in jeopardy for years to come at this stage of the Bills' development?

I like Cousins, but I liked Smith as a more reasonable option (not, however, for the Bills with what Washington ended up with on a 4 year extension).  I wouldn't pay that money for Cousins, and it is unlikely that the Bills could even afford him in 2018.

This is what he said to PFT: "Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No. It is about winning, and that's what I want more than anything, so I'm going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I'm in the best possible position to win, and that's what the focus is going to be."

Money is part of it, and there are too many teams that can offer more than us. I think Cousins signing with us is unlikely. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is what he said to PFT: "Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No. It is about winning, and that's what I want more than anything, so I'm going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I'm in the best possible position to win, and that's what the focus is going to be."

Money is part of it, and there are too many teams that can offer more than us. I think Cousins signing with us is unlikely. 

Eps, out of curiosity, what would you do now?

I'm thinking, right now, I would see what is reasonably out there in FA, and then prep for a move in the draft, with the caveat if they like a guy (for the future) who would be there late in the first or in the second and they want to wait...fine.

...but if they love a guy, go get him.

12 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

If Smith gets multiple picks and a player, Tyrod should be worth at least a 4th, or even a 3rd.

QB’s have a little more value then RB’s 

Edited by Putin
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The price of QBs goes up every year. There were people a week agon thinking Cousins might only get $22-23m then a 33 year old Alex Smith who two teams have moved on from gets that.... Cousins is going to get paid seriously big. 

None of that is an excuse not to move on from Tyrod though. 

Yep you were right.

There needs to be a money limit on QBs, one player shouldn't have all the money making it harder to sign other quality players.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Eps, out of curiosity, what would you do now?

I'm thinking, right now, I would see what is reasonably out there in FA, and then prep for a move in the draft, with the caveat if they like a guy (for the future) who would be there late in the first or in the second and they want to wait...fine.

...but if they love a guy, go get him.

I think you have to entertain the trade up scenario. Like you said, go and get him. I look for all avenues to try and trade up and get Rosen or Darnold. I really like Rosen. Then sign any FA quarterback to be a bridge for 8-10 games (like the Giants did with Kurt Warner and Eli.) You would definitely need a vet in the room. 

If a trade up can't happen I think you have to consider Bridgewater next. He's got elite skills with a huge injury question. But he's still young and could, in theory be that franchise guy. After that I think we have to consider Bradford, Keenum, a trade for Foles etc. I really wanted Alex Smith and I really like Cousins. I thought Smith had a good chance of happening,  but obviously it didn't. I think the Cousins fit is great, but I see the signing as unlikely. 

What I fear will happen? Something like Tyler Bray, Tom Savage, and Peterman battle it out. Yuck!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If he likes us, and we are offering $27-30 mil, vs $31-33 elsewhere, I think we have a shot.

If somebody goes crazy and offers $35mil no way he gives that up

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think you have to entertain the trade up scenario. Like you said, go and get him. I look for all avenues to try and trade up and get Rosen or Darnold. I really like Rosen. Then sign any FA quarterback to be a bridge for 8-10 games (like the Giants did with Kurt Warner and Eli.) You would definitely need a vet in the room. 

If a trade up can't happen I think you have to consider Bridgewater next. He's got elite skills with a huge injury question. But he's still young and could, in theory be that franchise guy. After that I think we have to consider Bradford, Keenum, a trade for Foles etc. I really wanted Alex Smith and I really like Cousins. I thought Smith had a good chance of happening,  but obviously it didn't. I think the Cousins fit is great, but I see the signing as unlikely

What I fear will happen? Something like Tyler Bray, Tom Savage, and Peterman battle it out. Yuck!

Well said, my friend.  Except your last sentence which made me throw-up a little bit.

:P

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Kirk Cousins to Buffalo!!!

Why.

Cousins is hardly an improvement over Tyrod and he will demand a huge contract.

For QB's with at least 100 attempts, his QB Rate is Ranked 14th to Tyrods 18th.  He threw 3 times as many interceptions as Tyrod... 13 to 4.  Completion PCT is virtually the same 64/63.  Sure Cousins threw 27 TD's to Tyrod's 14 but Tyrod actually led his team to the playoffs with a rookie HC.  Tyrod is not the answer at QB long term but neither is Cousins.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Remember this post when Smith is winning 11 or 12 games with the Redskins well  cousins flops at mile high. Winning is the ultimate stat!

smith won't have the defense in wash he did in kc. especially if norman leaves.  he also doesn't have the offensive weapons. he's gotta play the cowboys, eagles and giants as well now. much more difficult than charges, broncos, raiders have been recently. 

8 minutes ago, bdutton said:

Why.

Cousins is hardly an improvement over Tyrod and he will demand a huge contract.

For QB's with at least 100 attempts, his QB Rate is Ranked 14th to Tyrods 18th.  He threw 3 times as many interceptions as Tyrod... 13 to 4.  Completion PCT is virtually the same 64/63.  Sure Cousins threw 27 TD's to Tyrod's 14 but Tyrod actually led his team to the playoffs with a rookie HC.  Tyrod is not the answer at QB long term but neither is Cousins.

oh come on. you can't be serious?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

smith won't have the defense in wash he did in kc. especially if norman leaves.  he also doesn't have the offensive weapons. he's gotta play the cowboys, eagles and giants as well now. much more difficult than charges, broncos, raiders have been recently. 

oh come on. you can't be serious?

Norman signed a 5 year deal in 2016. Where is he going?

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Norman signed a 5 year deal in 2016. Where is he going?

i saw a rumor of him getting traded to the panthes. just a rumor.  the way they structured the deal it was easy out after two seasons. 

Edited by aristocrat

I haven't read all 22 pages here so forgive me if I am repeating something.  As I posted a few days ago, I expected Cousins to be gone from Washington and Smith to be traded.  I guessed wrong on where Smith went but not overly surprised, except for how early the deal got done.  I think it's a good deal for both.

I think Cousins decision is his alone, meaning he won't just go anywhere for money.  He will get plenty.  He has stated he wants to go where he can win.  I think his first best option will be Denver if they can clear some cap space.  If they can make the economics work at all, that's where he lands.  Don't underestimate Elway getting the guy he wants.

That may be tough so looking at QB needy teams, the Browns and Jets have the most to spend.  I think Cousins will not want to go the the Cleveland dumpster fire so the Jets are a real possibility.  The Bills are in a tough spot because they barely have more cap space than Denver and in this case, the two first round picks may work against them because they have to sign them and for more money that most teams just because they have two picks in round 1.

I have seen the Vikings suggested as a possible landing spot for Cousins but I just don't see that happening.  To much love by the fans in both Bridgewater and Keenum to not sign one of them.  Ownership would catch hell if they let both of those guys walk and did anything but win the Super Bowl with Cousins.  

The madness begins.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I know that.   I guess I could have been clearer.   My point stands no?  

They were both drafted in 2015 and both were expected to be stars by now.   

I would say Winston is very good, and still could be a star, but yes, after 3 years, he could be better

I would also say the same for Marcus.

They aren't legit stars yet, but they are both very good and young, and not even in their primes

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Might be the dumbest comment in this forum's history.

Please!  I can top that:

I'll always regret the fact that we missed the opportunity to have Rob Johnson and JP Losman on this team, at the same time.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Might be the dumbest comment in this forum's history.

24 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Please!  I can top that:

I'll always regret the fact that we missed the opportunity to have Rob Johnson and JP Losman on this team, at the same time.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

i'm not sure i can think of one. 

You guys need to stop drinking the koolaide.  Cousins is NOT a long term solution and would require a huge contract at the expense of improving other areas (With Wood out we need OL help ASAP).  His numbers are middle of the pack just like Tyrod's.  Best bet is to move up in the draft a get a QB of the future.  If there is a cheaper veteran available to hold the fort while the QBoftheF learns the offense, otherwise keep Tyrod and and hope the learning curve of the rookie is short.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The price of QBs goes up every year. There were people a week agon thinking Cousins might only get $22-23m then a 33 year old Alex Smith who two teams have moved on from gets that.... Cousins is going to get paid seriously big. 

None of that is an excuse not to move on from Tyrod though. 

It might not be an excuse for you, but McDermott strikes me as being very deliberate in his approach and I think he's still going to view this contract Tyrod is under and our ability to move up in the draft to draft a 1st round QB this year as the best scenario both short and long term for the team.

1 minute ago, bdutton said:

You guys need to stop drinking the koolaide.  Cousins is NOT a long term solution and would require a huge contract at the expense of improving other areas (With Wood out we need OL help ASAP).  His numbers are middle of the pack just like Tyrod's.  Best bet is to move up in the draft a get a QB of the future.  If there is a cheaper veteran available to hold the fort while the QBoftheF learns the offense, otherwise keep Tyrod and and hope the learning curve of the rookie is short.

cousins had the 15th best season for yards in nfl history two years ago...but ok he's middle of the pack. 

1 minute ago, bdutton said:

BD, respectfully, I didn't mention Cousins at all in my post.  I was just trying to make the worst comment ever on the board...it hurst that no one thinks that it is.

If you've seen any of my other posts I am with you on your point.

You may make this up to me by sending me money.  PM me and I'll give you the deets.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Redskins will place a transition franchise tag on Cousins, so is he worth the huge contract AND giving up a draft pick and/or other compensation? 

I like Cousins, but it seems like the team that does acquire him is destined to overpay. I'm not sure that translates to long term success.

I'm convinced the best option is to draft a QB in the 1st round and hope he becomes the long term solution.     

Edited by AdamK

Just now, bdutton said:

I think you are right. Also, given the small cap space difference between the Bills and Broncos, if the Bill s can make it work, so can the Broncos and I think that would be Cousins' preference. 

The Bills have a chance to move up in this draft to grab a QB without major draft capital cost for two reasons.  It is a QB rich draft so they don't need to move all the way up to #1 to get a quality guy and they have two first round picks this year, so they can likely put a deal together without giving up next year's 1st round pick.

2 minutes ago, AdamK said:

I think the Redskins will place a transition tag on Cousins, so is he worth the huge contract AND giving up a draft pick and/or other compensation? 

I like Cousins, but it seems like the team that does acquire him is destined to overpay. I'm not sure that translates to long term success.

I'm convinced the best option is to draft a QB in the 1st round and hope he becomes the long term solution.     

might want to get hit refresh on your updates dude...cousins wont get the tag they traded for alex smith.  They are not gunna slap a tag on him hoping another team matches that offer, if i was another owner i would let them eat it and have both qbs on there team...and when they trade him later on in the year to have dead salary cap in future years.

22 minutes ago, bdutton said:

Tyrod's numbers aren't middle of the pack.  He's regressed every season.

So if Cousins is hardly an upgrade, if Taylor hits the open market, do you think their contracts will be comparable?  Cousins contract will be just slightly more?

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It might not be an excuse for you, but McDermott strikes me as being very deliberate in his approach and I think he's still going to view this contract Tyrod is under and our ability to move up in the draft to draft a 1st round QB this year as the best scenario both short and long term for the team.

I overall think your opinion of what McDermott's thinking is way off.

My proof is you saying that McDermott is satisfied with the points we were scoring even though he stated specifically that was a concern.

Then you stated you believe Taylor is running the offense how McDermott wants it to be ran but then he was benched.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

10 minutes ago, AdamK said:

I think the Redskins will place a transition tag on Cousins, so is he worth the huge contract AND giving up a draft pick and/or other compensation? 

Why would they use the Transition tag? Transition tag means they have the right of first refusal but they get no compensation if they dont match. 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Lil Danny and Bruce Allen screwing up again?  Shocking! :rolleyes:

In all honesty you knew the marriage between the Skins and Cousins was soon to be over after last offseason. The Bruce Allen interview where he kept calling him Kurt and just the overall shade thrown in general. I didn't expect them to trade for Smith and throw top $$$ at him, but I thought Cousins was gone. By all accounts Allen is a complete d*ck and Snyder is, well, Snyder. Most Skins fans I know right now are completely pissed. 

This was a pretty stupid move by Washington.

It's not that Smith is a bad QB because he's not, but for what they gave up and what they will be paying him you really have to question why they wouldn't make a better attempt to keep their own franchise QB who isn't light years ahead of Smith anyway talent wise.

Also wondering if this helps with Taylor's trade value assuming there is a team out there that truly wants him as a potential starter. If so perhaps we can get more than a 6th or 7th rounder but guessing he'd also have to negotiate a new contract as part of any trade.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tyrod's numbers aren't middle of the pack.  He's regressed every season.

So if Cousins is hardly an upgrade, if Taylor hits the open market, do you think their contracts will be comparable?  Cousins contract will be just slightly more?

Cousin's market value is largely because of hype.  Tylor's value is lower due to opposite hype.  If you step back and look at the numbers, Tyrod has been consistently in the midle of the pack as a starter.  Cousins cna put up bigger yardage but doesn't change his overall standing as a middle of the pack QB who's been overhyped.

15 minutes ago, AdamK said:

I don't think they could if they wanted to.  They only have $36MM in cap space before the Smith deal.  The transition tag will cost them $34MM.  If nobody wanted to take that contract at $34MM, the Skins would need to gut their team and knowing it would be a fire sale, they would get 75 cents on the dollar if they were lucky.   The Skins would need to pick up the remainder of a lot of contacts to make up the difference.  It would take a pair of brass balls to try that or the stupidest owner in the NFL.  I guess Snyder may qualify for one of those descriptions.

20 minutes ago, bkep32 said:

might want to get hit refresh on your updates dude...cousins wont get the tag they traded for alex smith.  They are not gunna slap a tag on him hoping another team matches that offer, if i was another owner i would let them eat it and have both qbs on there team...and when they trade him later on in the year to have dead salary cap in future years.

I am fully aware of the updates DUDE.

Edited by AdamK

Just now, CritMark said:

I don't think they could if they wanted to.  They only have $36MM in cap space before the Smith deal.  The transition tag will cost them $34MM.  If nobody wanted to take that contract at $34MM, the Skins would need to gut their team and knowing it would be a fire sale, they would get 75 cents on the dollar if they were lucky.   The Skins would need to pick up the remainder of a lot of contacts to make up the difference.  It would take a pair of brass balls to try that or the stupidest owner in the NFL.  I guess Snyder may qualify for one of those descriptions.

That's the Franchise Tag cost IIRC.