What is it with NE? Why isn't this all cool to see?

I say we flip the script.  Let’s root like crazy for them this time, and if they win, celebrate like Dalton just hit a 4th and 12.

Who’s with me?  It would shock our Pats trolls to come here and see threads like “They did it!!!!!” and “Way to go, Tommy!”

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

To me, the entire history of the New England Patriots run has been suspect from the start.

Bill Belichick had losing records in 5 out of his 6 first years as head coach.  Tom Brady was a 6th Round draft pick, who really wasn't that great in college.  To this day, even after 15+ years of absolute dominance, you probably can't name even ONE long-term player on those Patriots teams (outside of Brady and probably Rob Gronkowski) who will be a lock for the Hall of Fame.  You would be hard pressed to find any long-term Patriots who even have a chance.  Maybe Randy Moss, who was there for 3 seasons.  Probably Darrell Revis, who was there for 1 season. 

Front office people find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  Coordinators and coaches find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  Players find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  What is it about the Patriots culture/system that is so impossible to duplicate?  Every other successful dynasty in the history of the NFL has yielded copycats.  Every successful dynasty has also eventually been figured out, or fallen victim to players retiring, leaving or getting older.  The Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys lasted literally half this time on top.  But nothing has stopped the Patriots from rolling.  Not even having a 40 Year Old Quarterback.

What we are witnessing is unlike anything that has EVER occurred in NFL history.  It's not just an underdog beating the odds, or the natural process of records being broken.  It's completely obliterating every standard and limit that has existed since the NFL was created in 1920.  People try comparing Brady to Michael Jordan.  But basketball has always been a sport that could be dominated by a single individual.  Football has always been an ultimate team sport.  But the Patriots are consistently unstoppable with a bunch of no-names poached from other teams.  It's ridiculous.

The first comparison that comes to my mind is when baseball saw Roger Maris' home run record stand for DECADES, only to be suddenly destroyed in 3 straight years by Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds.  It was logical that someone would eventually break the record.  But when it suddenly became easy, you knew something was off.  You knew something was wrong.  And sure enough, those players were all using steroids.

Even before Spygate and Deflategate, there were tons of rumors about the Patriots CHEATING.  There have been questionable calls from the refs coming in their favor since that first season and the Tuck Rule.  I think part of the reason people HATE the Patriots is because they know (even if it hasn't all been found and uncovered) that something is NOT RIGHT about what we are witnessing... 

You can find it all over this message board.  You can find it all over Twitter.  You even hear players and announcers utter it sometimes.  Someday we are going to learn the truth about the "New England Dynasty."  It might not be pretty.

Great post and well thought out/reasoned.  History can't look back at this dynasty soon enough.  But will there be enough evidence left?  To the best of my knowledge, the NFL destroyed all the spygate evidence.  It's amazing how many people just look past their cheating and disregard of the "spirit of the rule" (wide receiver not running the route vs Baltimore) and BS calls that always seem to go their way.  Hope the Eagles can take care of business, though I'd feel much better about it if Cason Wentz was playing.

I grew up in Buffalo watching, every Sunday, Jim Brown be the greatest possible running back imaginable and Johnny Unitas, calling all his own plays and truly exemplifying original thinking and incredible execution on the football field.  I appreciate greatness and the Patriots are just that.  Some of the supposed cheating doesn't help (me or any other football fans) but doesn't dim the fact that these guys are exceptionally good year after year and have the best coach in the game, hands down.  As Bills fans, having the Patriots in our division and having to so frequently be embarrassed by them is certainly a major, continual, turn off.  It's damned frustrating.  And for many, it's pure and simple, conscious or unconscious jealousy.  We fight it off with excuses about cheating and biased officiating, not that there may not be some of both, to perpetuate hate for the Pats.  That's not illogical.  But the bottom line is they're a great team, have been for a long time, and we just have to get better and not make the kind of draft, coaching, and player acquisition mistakes we continually make.  So GO BILLS, and have one hell of a draft.

• Like (+1) 1

This is an easy question. Watch a Patriots game. The blatant calls they get are so disgusting. The way the refs constantly give them PI calls to extend drives, penalize the opposition with holding calls and an assortment of drive stopping gems. Then if all else fails, they start with the damn catch rule and use it whatever way favors the Pats. It's so bias and disgusting, no wonder they are hated.  The #fakenews video circulating about them is so true, but it's satire. This team is not the greatest, not invincible and not even ahead of all the other teams in the league. If officiated fairly, the Pats would be 10-6 this year and would not have made the SB. 

They probably would have achieved half of what they did. Still a good team, but not the dominating Gods the NFL has chosen to make them. 

Manning is a douche bag too...

I don't want to see anyone outside of the Bills be great. 

!@#$ the rest of the NFL

At least, Brady is a clutch douche bag and so is Bill. Manning sounds like a bumbling moron all the time, !@#$ Papa Johns too, and Nation wide. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe if they had a better HC than Dungy, they would have made this dream come true...

THIS! 

Polian has a pattern that hiring “leader of men”. Guys who are soft spoken in a number of ways, leaders of men. But not great football mines in terms of scheme. Polian hires men who have a lot of “yes man” in them. Polian needs a guys who lets him put together his roster the way he sees fit.

guys who let the talent play, but never out coach anybody. This model will make a lot of teams better, and elite, year after year. But never a dynasty like the Pats.  

On one hand, it made his teams great. On the other it’s the reason Manning and the Bills don’t have more rings. 

You mentioned McCarthy. My opinion, mediocre coach with a great QB. Without Rodgers, he is toast. If Rodgers is good for 3-4 wins per year, they are a 5-7 win team.

ouch 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

I grew up in Buffalo watching, every Sunday, Jim Brown be the greatest possible running back imaginable and Johnny Unitas, calling all his own plays and truly exemplifying original thinking and incredible execution on the football field.  I appreciate greatness and the Patriots are just that.  Some of the supposed cheating doesn't help (me or any other football fans) but doesn't dim the fact that these guys are exceptionally good year after year and have the best coach in the game, hands down.  As Bills fans, having the Patriots in our division and having to so frequently be embarrassed by them is certainly a major, continual, turn off.  It's damned frustrating.  And for many, it's pure and simple, conscious or unconscious jealousy.  We fight it off with excuses about cheating and biased officiating, not that there may not be some of both, to perpetuate hate for the Pats.  That's not illogical.  But the bottom line is they're a great team, have been for a long time, and we just have to get better and not make the kind of draft, coaching, and player acquisition mistakes we continually make.  So GO BILLS, and have one hell of a draft.

Thanks, great post!

11 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Imagine an alternate universe, where the Colts with Manning and Dungy were going for SB title #6. Manning has all the career and single season passing records as it is now, but his Colts team has been winning instead of NE. Brady has 2 rings, 1 with NE and 1 with the Broncos, after being traded. Peyton is going for ring #6 in less than 2 weeks.

I would want to see it, because it would be cool. Rack up the stats! Rack up the rings!

Or if it were Rogers and Green Bay going for #5 or #6. Again, cool story I would think. Of if the Seahawks kept their team rolling and the Legion of Boom was looking for #3 or #4 by now. I would find it fun to watch.

Typically I am all for seeing great teams and players rack up accolades. I WANT to see a team go 19-0 (just not NE for some reason). I want to see some QB come in and throw 60 TD in a season and 6,000 yards. I want to see a RB break Emmitt Smith's career yardage mark.

But somehow, I have always hated NE and Brady and wanted them to fall short.

It has nothing to do with the division. I could care less honestly.

I think, for me, that it's about the Tuck Rule and Spygate vs the Rams. And the Chargers with my man Marty as coach winning the game in the playoffs vs NE on an interception only to fumble the damn thing right back and give Brady another shot. Early on every BS thing went their way, and I've just always hated them for it.

But there is something else, something intangible that drives me nuts about them. Every time I want to say "ok, cool, they are just this generation's 49ers" another scandal, story, or some nonsense like the illegal formations vs. the Ravens a couple years ago comes out that just makes it feel like they are a great team that also has ticky tack ways to beat you. I think them being called the greatest of all time with 3 point SB wins involving stolen signals and the failure of TWO teams to just run the ball makes it worse.

I honestly think it would have been easier to swallow if they steamrolled teams in their Super Bowl wins and the tuck rule was never a thing. Spygate was sort of annoying, but to me it didn't move the needle a ton. It was just another reason to dislike them more than anything else. Deflategate was just a joke.

So, what is it about NE? Or are you just excited to see greatness when they play?

Not to mention all the calls they get . Which some think is a product of bad officiating and i think it's a product of Manufactured Dynasty.

Bad officiating goes both ways sooner or later the bad should go towards the Pats but somehow there immune to this. Therefore its not a coincidence. This is why i hate the Pats.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

NE is a paradox.  They have legitimate greatness at HC and QB

They also have been caught cheating - which makes one wonder what cheating has not been caught 

The number of penalties called against them vs opponents is disparate enough that one questions whether it can result from coaching and player discipline

They regularly push the envelope on interpretation of the rules (e.g., playoffs vs Ravens)

The sad thing to me is I think they have the talent to win without cheating and envelope-pushing but they do anyway

So no, while I have watched them, I can't just enjoy it the way I would if it were GB or the 49ers or N'Orleans or Pitts.

Lately the ref'ing has been driving me to switch off - though not unique to the Pats games

I have always thought this!! They are good enough to win anyway, why even cheat on a slight scale that might tarnish the team/ the dynasty when you don't have to?? Its just weird.

9 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

It is not supposed cheating.  They cheated , they got caught & the league destroyed the evidence.  It makes you wonder what they haven't been caught at doing.  So knock the crap about this supposed stuff.

16 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Imagine an alternate universe, where the Colts with Manning and Dungy were going for SB title #6. Manning has all the career and single season passing records as it is now, but his Colts team has been winning instead of NE. Brady has 2 rings, 1 with NE and 1 with the Broncos, after being traded. Peyton is going for ring #6 in less than 2 weeks.

I would want to see it, because it would be cool. Rack up the stats! Rack up the rings!

Or if it were Rogers and Green Bay going for #5 or #6. Again, cool story I would think. Of if the Seahawks kept their team rolling and the Legion of Boom was looking for #3 or #4 by now. I would find it fun to watch.

Typically I am all for seeing great teams and players rack up accolades. I WANT to see a team go 19-0 (just not NE for some reason). I want to see some QB come in and throw 60 TD in a season and 6,000 yards. I want to see a RB break Emmitt Smith's career yardage mark.

But somehow, I have always hated NE and Brady and wanted them to fall short.

It has nothing to do with the division. I could care less honestly.

I think, for me, that it's about the Tuck Rule and Spygate vs the Rams. And the Chargers with my man Marty as coach winning the game in the playoffs vs NE on an interception only to fumble the damn thing right back and give Brady another shot. Early on every BS thing went their way, and I've just always hated them for it.

But there is something else, something intangible that drives me nuts about them. Every time I want to say "ok, cool, they are just this generation's 49ers" another scandal, story, or some nonsense like the illegal formations vs. the Ravens a couple years ago comes out that just makes it feel like they are a great team that also has ticky tack ways to beat you. I think them being called the greatest of all time with 3 point SB wins involving stolen signals and the failure of TWO teams to just run the ball makes it worse.

I honestly think it would have been easier to swallow if they steamrolled teams in their Super Bowl wins and the tuck rule was never a thing. Spygate was sort of annoying, but to me it didn't move the needle a ton. It was just another reason to dislike them more than anything else. Deflategate was just a joke.

So, what is it about NE? Or are you just excited to see greatness when they play?

Tuck rule? Key word is rule! And taping opponents signals would have what advantage? You see only 3 teams 2x in a season outside of making the playoffs. And surley coaches change them up game to game. 

If they didn't cheat they would have my respect. I can't respect a cheater or anyone that supports them. 

4 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Tuck rule? Key word is rule! And taping opponents signals would have what advantage? You see only 3 teams 2x in a season outside of making the playoffs. And surley coaches change them up game to game. 

Recording the walk thru the day before the superbowl might have an affect on the game. I doubt the rams changed everything up after their last practice before the super bowl. 

7 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

If they didn't cheat they would have my respect. I can't respect a cheater or anyone that supports them. 

Recording the walk thru the day before the superbowl might have an affect on the game. I doubt the rams changed everything up after their last practice before the super bowl. 

Lay out 100% undeniable proof that this actually occured.

8 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

The NFL has already stated it destroyed the tapes. Add in Brady destroying his cell phone and Green Ellis who fumbled a few times in college then gets drafted by the Pats and has zero fumbles in 4 year and then goes to the Bengals and has 5 in two years. I would write so much more but I don't have the time right now. If they weren't so shady maybe I could watch the SB.

15 hours ago, mjt328 said:

To me, the entire history of the New England Patriots run has been suspect from the start.

Bill Belichick had losing records in 5 out of his 6 first years as head coach.  Tom Brady was a 6th Round draft pick, who really wasn't that great in college.  To this day, even after 15+ years of absolute dominance, you probably can't name even ONE long-term player on those Patriots teams (outside of Brady and probably Rob Gronkowski) who will be a lock for the Hall of Fame.  You would be hard pressed to find any long-term Patriots who even have a chance.  Maybe Randy Moss, who was there for 3 seasons.  Probably Darrell Revis, who was there for 1 season. 

Front office people find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  Coordinators and coaches find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  Players find success in New England, then go elsewhere and fail.  What is it about the Patriots culture/system that is so impossible to duplicate?  Every other successful dynasty in the history of the NFL has yielded copycats.  Every successful dynasty has also eventually been figured out, or fallen victim to players retiring, leaving or getting older.  The Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys lasted literally half this time on top.  But nothing has stopped the Patriots from rolling.  Not even having a 40 Year Old Quarterback.

What we are witnessing is unlike anything that has EVER occurred in NFL history.  It's not just an underdog beating the odds, or the natural process of records being broken.  It's completely obliterating every standard and limit that has existed since the NFL was created in 1920.  People try comparing Brady to Michael Jordan.  But basketball has always been a sport that could be dominated by a single individual.  Football has always been an ultimate team sport.  But the Patriots are consistently unstoppable with a bunch of no-names poached from other teams.  It's ridiculous.

The first comparison that comes to my mind is when baseball saw Roger Maris' home run record stand for DECADES, only to be suddenly destroyed in 3 straight years by Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds.  It was logical that someone would eventually break the record.  But when it suddenly became easy, you knew something was off.  You knew something was wrong.  And sure enough, those players were all using steroids.

Even before Spygate and Deflategate, there were tons of rumors about the Patriots CHEATING.  There have been questionable calls from the refs coming in their favor since that first season and the Tuck Rule.  I think part of the reason people HATE the Patriots is because they know (even if it hasn't all been found and uncovered) that something is NOT RIGHT about what we are witnessing... 

You can find it all over this message board.  You can find it all over Twitter.  You even hear players and announcers utter it sometimes.  Someday we are going to learn the truth about the "New England Dynasty."  It might not be pretty.

My fear is that the truth WON"T be discovered!

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Lolno

Fans of teams in the Eagles division despise Philly for many good reasons, especially if they went on a road trip with their kids to see a game there...

Read a little.... get out there...

Edited by row_33

I think what did happen vs. what didn't happen matters. Peyton Manning's struggles to win in the playoffs early on in his career, were what made his story so intriguing. We knew it wasn't crazy for him to finally win a Super Bowl, but it also wasn't going to be come easy. And he only had 1 Super Bowl win before he played his last game, and we all knew he deserved to win at least 2. I also feel, Manning's personality helps too. Brady and Belichick are much too business like. Manning looked like he was having fun on the field.

Edited by wagon127

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Fans of teams in the Eagles division despise Philly for many good reasons, especially if they went on a road trip with their kids to see a game there...

Read a little.... get out there...

Dude, I LIVE in the Philadelphia area.

:lol:

Other teams in their division think of Philadelphia as a rest stop between NYC and Washington.

MAYBE Cowgirl fans get worried, but I doubt Giant fans GAF.

47 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

35 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

TROLL ALERT

41wJ36PyXeL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

15 hours ago, mjt328 said:

This is the most perfect response to this. Unfortunately nobody in the league has come to care yet that something is weird going on here. Maybe when Brady is 50 and playing better than he did at 40 they will question it. I wonder what the Vegas numbers are, when it comes to what year the Patriots will have a losing season again....

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

It is not supposed cheating.  They cheated , they got caught & the league destroyed the evidence.  It makes you wonder what they haven't been caught at doing.  So knock the crap about this supposed stuff.

the winners smoke the victory cigars and the losers sift through the sawdust of a loss trying to find an excuse or a stat that justifies them.

it really sucks losing for 2 solid decades now, but don't hate teams that have done it right and reaped the rewards

Why are tgere some many Patriots fans on this board.

To me its like respecting someone wbo sucker punches you and knocks you out, and then saying that they actual beat you in a fight.

They are good, which is why i dont understand the hand ups they constantly receive, and its not only against us, but a bunch of teams that they play and when it matters the most.

The game is about momentum and leverage, and they seem to get favored when the momentum swings for their oppenents. They get helped up.

Im tired of hearing about because their so good, the calls go in their favor. That is the definition of favortism! 

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Dude, I LIVE in the Philadelphia area.

:lol:

Other teams in their division think of Philadelphia as a rest stop between NYC and Washington.

MAYBE Cowgirl fans get worried, but I doubt Giant fans GAF.

They really don't, to them Philly is the little brother. 

6 hours ago, Chris66 said:

People hated the Bills by 1994. There wasnt an internet for you guys to see it, but it existed. Fortunately the salary cap killed that budding dynasty.

So how do we kill your 17 year dynasty that doesn't make any realistic sense.

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Based on the post below and talking to a few friends who are Giants fans I'm not sure that's entirely true. Small sample size for sure but:

My mother's/step father's side of the Family is all Giants fans. I base it off that as they refer to them as the little brother that will never be good enough. They've gone to Philly for games and never really had any issues. 

6 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

My mother's/step father's side of the Family is all Giants fans. I base it off that as they refer to them as the little brother that will never be good enough. They've gone to Philly for games and never really had any issues. 

I hear ya, but this Super Bowl matchup is a nightmare for Giants fans. If the Eagles win they lose some of their air of big brother superiority.

Glad to hear your fam goes to Philly games without incident. That's the way it should be.

3 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Now this I don't get. Yankee fans hate the Red Sox, not Mets fans (at least not me). We beat them, and in spectacular fashion...and I hope the Eagles do the same to the Patriots.

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I hear ya, but this Super Bowl matchup is a nightmare for Giants fans. If the Eagles win they lose some of their air of big brother superiority.

Glad to hear your fam goes to Philly games without incident. That's the way it should be.

Now this I don't get. Yankee fans hate the Red Sox, not Mets fans (at least not me). We beat them, and in spectacular fashion...and I hope the Eagles do the same to the Patriots.

It was actually Doc Gooden responding to a tweet via the Mets account. They do that every few days  where they current Mets players & former players go on their twitter to chat with fans. He played for the Yankees so I can understand that. The one good thing about being a Mets fan is we are undefeated against the Sox in the WS :lol:

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 1