Favorite Guitar Solo

RaoulDuke79

I was driving to the store this evening and No More Tears came on the radio. Without thinking I automatically turned it up a few notches. Thinking back, I realized that I do this every time the song comes on because I love the guitar solo. 

What are some of your favorite guitar or drum solos?

I'm guessing I'll post about 50 times in this thread. 

Off the top top of my head:

Celebration Day - Page

No More Tears - Wylde 

Voodoo Chile - Hendrix

Texas Flood - SRV

Time - Gilmour

Freewill - Lifeson

Little Guitars - Van Halen

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm guessing I'll post about 50 times in this thread. 

Off the top top of my head:

Celebration Day - Page

No More Tears - Wylde 

Voodoo Chile - Hendrix

Texas Flood - SRV

Time - Gilmour

Freewill - Lifeson

Little Guitars - Van Halen

I haven’t heard Little Guitars in over twenty years.  I just played it. Memories flooding back. :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

Comfortably Numb, Guitar Solo 2 is one of the best pieces of guitar music I've ever heard.

The live version David Gilmour did on tour in Gdansk is phenomenal.  I have the DVD/CD set of that concert and the CDs live in my car, so I've listened to that version of the solo about 10,000 times now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This performance of Sunshine of Your Love from the Cream concert at Royal Albert Hall, 1968, is beyond mind blowing.

A couple different solos are great and made even better by Jack Bruce's wandering base lines and Ginger Baker flipping out on the drums.

So much more alive and up-tempo compared to the way they did it in 2006 (?) at their reunion concert at the same venue.  But they were also a hell of a lot younger and sharper too. 

I freaking love this version:

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Comfortably Numb, Guitar Solo 2 is one of the best pieces of guitar music I've ever heard.

The live version David Gilmour did on tour in Gdansk is phenomenal.  I have the DVD/CD set of that concert and the CDs live in my car, so I've listened to that version of the solo about 10,000 times now.

Thanks for this one.

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I was driving to the store this evening and No More Tears came on the radio. Without thinking I automatically turned it up a few notches. Thinking back, I realized that I do this every time the song comes on because I love the guitar solo. 

What are some of your favorite guitar or drum solos?

I just now realized that you had No More Tears in your original post. I just saw "favorite guitar solos," and started typing. How friggin funny/ironic that we both cited that solo!?!

Love the topic and there hasn't been a solo posted yet that I don't like/love. Totally agree with Chef that it doesn't have to shred, but I love shredding too.

OP mentioned drum solos. Obviously not a solo, but I heard Zep's Whole Lotta Love for the first time in a long time recently and how kick-a$$ is the opening drum fill? Iconic, Bonham was a beast. 

I'm not big on favorites since there's so much outstanding music, but I'll throw some love to the Zappa's. I could easily go with Muffin Man, but here are two more:

Not sure if Chef is a Zappa fan but you might like Frank's Watermelon in Easter Hay:

Overall I'll go with Dweezil's cover of Franks Pygmy Twylyte..solo starts around 4:15 in:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm a drummer and I hate drum solos.  

Best guitar solo?  Jesus.  As a huge Allman Brothers fan I'll go with this.  Doesn't have to be fast or shredding.  Slow and bluesy is actually my favorite

I was two months short of 8 years old,  living maybe 20 miles from that venue. 

Little did I know that would be an all-time favorite song of mine. 

Cool that the Allmans had a renaissance with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks. 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Just watched. Kicked donkey. Thanks.

I know that I've heard "better" , or more technical solos from a number of artists, SRV in particular, but this one is my favourite.

Grateful Dead - Going Down The Road Feeling Bad (Jerry Garcia guitarist)

To me, it just encompasses the "get up and shake your ass" feeling of a Grateful Dead concert.  Nothing else like it.

Solo begins at around 6:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTPndsG_KA4

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I just now realized that you had No More Tears in your original post. I just saw "favorite guitar solos," and started typing. How friggin funny/ironic that we both cited that solo!?!

It completely shreads from the build up until it just let's loose. Randy Rohades was fantastic, but getting Zakk Wylde as a replacement isn't too shabby either......also some great contributions in here that I haven't heard or just plain forgot.  Thanks folks. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

8 hours ago, Doc said:

I have lots, but one of my faves that many probably don't know is this (starts at 1:33, although whole song is great and check-out the outro):

I saw Eric Johnsnon

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Love the topic and there hasn't been a solo posted yet that I don't like/love. Totally agree with Chef that it doesn't have to shred, but I love shredding too.

OP mentioned drum solos. Obviously not a solo, but I heard Zep's Whole Lotta Love for the first time in a long time recently and how kick-a$$ is the opening drum fill? Iconic, Bonham was a beast. 

I'm not big on favorites since there's so much outstanding music, but I'll throw some love to the Zappa's. I could easily go with Muffin Man, but here are two more:

Not sure if Chef is a Zappa fan but you might like Frank's Watermelon in Easter Hay:

Overall I'll go with Dweezil's cover of Franks Pygmy Twylyte..solo starts around 4:15 in:

8 hours ago, Doc said:

I have lots, but one of my faves that many probably don't know is this (starts at 1:33, although whole song is great and check-out the outro):

I saw Eric Johnson and Dweezil Zappa at one of the "Experience Hendrix" tours about 4 years ago.  Awesome.

And anyone reading this - if you have a chance to see one of these shows, DO IT.  It's hours of great guitar from beginning to end. 

39 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

"Comfortably Numb" gets all the glory (and it IS a great solo) but I think the solo from "Time" is better.

He really makes the guitar scream in this solo. I always point it out to my son (up and coming guitarist) whenever it's on the radio.  There aren't many better "rock guitar soloists" than Gilmour.

• Like (+1) 1

I will put up the solo in "Sweet Child O' Mine."

Slash isn't one of the greatest guitarists of all time in my opinion but just go listen to it........

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

i was at a pearl jam concert and they brought out donna grantis.  i guess she was in prince's band.  she rocked solos in rocking in the free world

1. I'm in LOVE. I had never heard of her before now.

2. Women that can SHRED like her are incredibly amazing.

3. She must be related to SRV in some way. That's God-given talent. "A black man trapped in a white woman's body."

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Loved that album, Thanks for the reminder!

Edited by Guffalo
Also Southern Man from Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Four Way street (Live album)

43 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I will put up the solo in "Sweet Child O' Mine."

Slash isn't one of the greatest guitarists of all time in my opinion but just go listen to it........

1. I'm in LOVE. I had never heard of her before now.

2. Women that can SHRED like her are incredibly amazing.

3. She must be related to SRV in some way. That's God-given talent. "A black man trapped in a white woman's body."

I think Slash is definitely in the "one of" conversation.  He's a great soloist.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

He really makes the guitar scream in this solo. I always point it out to my son (up and coming guitarist) whenever it's on the radio.  There aren't many better "rock guitar soloists" than Gilmour.

This guy does a decent job of it ... for a street musician:

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

"Comfortably Numb" gets all the glory (and it IS a great solo) but I think the solo from "Time" is better.

This entire album is freaking fantastic.

I've listend to it beginning to end too many times to count.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

I saw Eric Johnson and Dweezil Zappa at one of the "Experience Hendrix" tours about 4 years ago.  Awesome.

And anyone reading this - if you have a chance to see one of these shows, DO IT.  It's hours of great guitar from beginning to end. 

I saw Eric Johnson 20 years ago.  Took the wife.  She actually enjoyed the show.

11 hours ago, Guffalo said:

Loved that album, Thanks for the reminder!

My pleasure.