Sporting News: Draft? Trade? Exploring Bills' best non-Tyrod Taylor QB options in 2018

I still think NP is the QB of the future and option four is my choice especially since Beane is in love with him:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/buffalo-bills-tyrod-taylor-nathan-peterman-quarterback-future-2018-nfl-draft-alex-smith/95ofoqj66m4m1gywtd44mklke

4. Stick with Nathan Peterman

"Overwhelmed" would be a kind word to describe Peterman's two starts as a fifth-round rookie. But keep in mind he went into the season as more of a developmental project and not with the mindset that he was going to be the No. 1 over Taylor. A full offseason with that mentality, in addition to more help around him, is bound to make Peterman improve.

Peterman impressed coaches enough in the preseason to displace T.J. Yates as the Bills' top backup. There are lots of things they like about his raw ability, and it shouldn't be shocking if the Bills simply decide to try to harness it as their starting solution.

• Like (+1) 1

Ha ha, there is no chance that the Bills are handing the keys to Peterman. In his 4 snaps Sunday he bobbled a snap, fumbled, took an intentional grounding penalty and got picked. There is a decent chance that he isn’t on the roster next year. If they draft a QB eary and sign a vet where does that leave Peterman? 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, there is no chance that the Bills are handing the keys to Peterman. In his 4 snaps Sunday he bobbled a snap, fumbled, took an intentional grounding penalty and got picked. There is a decent chance that he isn’t on the roster next year. If they draft a QB eary and sign a vet where does that leave Peterman? 

So Tyrod sits on the bench for 4 years not good enough to start for the team that drafted him but Peterman gets grilled for starting his rookie season. Come on man, Peterman is on this roster next season on that rookie contract IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

So Tyrod sits on the bench for 4 years not good enough to start for the team that drafted him but Peterman gets grilled for starting his rookie season. Come on man, Peterman is on this roster next season on that rookie contract IMO.

he's stating if they draft a rookie like we all want and sign a vet that Peterman might be the odd man out.... whats so hard to believe there? depends on if you believe we carry 2 or 3 active qb's

Edited by Stank_Nasty

He at no point showed that he is ready or capable of handling meaningful snaps in the NFL.  I get it he is your guy, but he is making the same mistakes over, and over again.  Franchise Qbs dont wet themselves repeatedly their rookie season than meracilusly become great.  You got it or you dont.  He doesnt got it.  A completely average qb out played him by a wide margin.  

23 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Asked a different way, “what are you optimistic about?” He was barely a 60% guy in college and completed 49% as a rookie and was a turnover machine. He gave no reason to be optimistic. 

The Bills are absolutely either signing Cousins or drafting a guy high. Most suspect that they will have a stop gap vet as well. If they go the draft route and take Allen (as an example) while signing Bradford (as an example) where does that leave Peterman? As a former 5th round 3rd string QB that has shown little to nothing when given the opportunity? Why waste a roster spot? 

If they sign Cousins I could see them keeping him as the developmental guy. That would assume that they don’t draft one. 

Somehow Bills fans became delusionsal with Peterman. He is Levi Brown not Carson Wentz. He was a 5th round project that isn’t very accurate and is awful under pressure. When he played, that’s who he was. That’s who he has been for years. There is 0.0% chance that the Bills hand him the keys.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'm hoping for AJ Mcarron, Mayfield and Peterman to be fighting it out for the starting spot in pre season.

I think we really need a more reliable vet over McCarron... Way too much of a crap shoot with AJ.. need a vet with a better resume and experience IMO

10 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

I can see the Bills, though I don't approve, keeping Petermen and signing Sam Bradford as a Bridge. 

As long as we draft a qb to compete. Although Bradford wouldn't be a 1st choice.

Peterman will be here for at least TC

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Asked a different way, “what are you optimistic about?” He was barey a 60% guy in college and completed 49% as a rookie and was a turnover machine. He should no reason to be optimistic. 

The Bills are absolutely either signing Cousins or drafting a guy high. Most suspect that they will have a stop gap vet as well. If they go the draft route and take Allen (as an example) while signing Bradford (as an example) where does that leave Peterman? As a former 5th round 3rd string QB that has shown little to nothing when given the opportunity? Why waste a roster spot? 

If they sign Cousins I could see them keeping him as the developmental guy. That would assume that they don’t draft one. 

Somehow Bills fans became delusionsal with Peterman. He is Levi Brown not Carson Wentz. He was a 5th round project that isn’t very accurate and is awful under pressure. When he played, that’s who he was. That’s who he has been for years. There is 0.0% chance that the Bills hand him the keys.

Even if we land Cousins we're going to take a QB. Just possibly a little later.

Read: a Mike White/Riley Ferguson type

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Peterman almost cost us a place in the playoffs, and then actually did cost us while said playoff game was on the line... and you want to hand the franchise to him?

Yeesh. 

He *could* still develop, but he is pretty far away from being a viable starter at the moment. 

Edited by Dorkington

31 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He at no point showed that he is ready or capable of handling meaningful snaps in the NFL.  I get it he is your guy, but he is making the same mistakes over, and over again.  Franchise Qbs dont wet themselves repeatedly their rookie season than meracilusly become great.  You got it or you dont.  He doesnt got it.  A completely average qb out played him by a wide margin.  

Comparing a 7 year veteran with a rookie with 1 start.  Very Hot take.

I think some are forgetting Peterman was a rookie this year, going against the #1 defense against the pass in the Chargers. It was a pretty pathetic performance by him I admit but to write the guy off in his rookie season seems foolish imo. He will most likely be in the competition for the starting job along with others, hopefully a rookie and new veteran also.

49 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Asked a different way, “what are you optimistic about?” He was barely a 60% guy in college and completed 49% as a rookie and was a turnover machine. He gave no reason to be optimistic. 

You're killing it.

Peterman should be (and ultimately will be) released.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I do not think Cousins is a option I do not think Washington will let him go. So that leaves a top draft pick because other options in FA or trade wont happen IMO unless Smith is traded for. I can see a drafted QB a cheap vet and Peterman. They all compete for the starter roll and then the new top drafted QB taking over after a few games. What I was saying about Peterman is he is no different then Tyrod in needing development, Tyrod sat for 4years but yet Peterman starts against a top D in his rookie season and gets crushed and you point to him like he was a top drafted QB after 4 years of development that should have been better. All I am saying is a cheap rookie contract for him will have him at least sitting on the roster getting developed. I see zero chance Peterman is not on the roster next season. He will be at least the #3 QB.

If they draft Allen this team will be waiting for a franchise worthy QB for another decade. Allen is not a QB that will start on any team for years IMO, he needs way too much work.

Edited by xRUSHx

Not very good options there. TT's stats are better that Bridgewater's. Bradford will get probably get hurt. Cousins will want (and get) too much money from somebody. Alex Smith is Alex Smith and not a big game player. What will KC want for him? Certainly the Bills will draft a QB, but who will be available when the Bills pick? Are any of the QBs coming out worth moving up for? They rarely are. Wentz looked good, but Bears will regret Trubisky for years to come. 

I was willing ot give NP a chance and he will be here for camp.. But after that last pass I'm on the NP arm is not good enough train.

We will bring n a vet and draft a QB and NP will be released sometime during the preseason IMO

I see no way that the Bills enter the season with Peterman as the starter.

While he may still develop into a meaningful player down the line, he was given multiple opportunities to take over the reigns this season and failed miserably in each situation:

1. Starting in San Diego... We all saw how that worked out.

2. Relieving Tyrod in the first New England game... where he failed to get the ball into the endzone.

3. Starting against the Colts. He managed to lead a late 1st half TD drive, but in the 2nd half knocked himself out of the game by making a foolish decision to take on a LB rather than slide.

4. Sunday he had a legitimate shot at tying the game but instead threw the game clinching INT.

Again, I am not saying that he should be kicked to the curb. After all, Alex Smith started his career with a 1-11 TD-INT ratio I believe. In fact, if the team could bring in Alex Smith to start for a year or two, it would be a nice boost to Peterman (who shares similar traits), I believe.

In fact, I would like to see the front office bring in a veteran (Smith, Bradford or whomever), draft a QB early without over-spending draft capital (UNLESS they believe that can acquire a legitimate FRANCHISE QB by trading up) AND hang on to Peterman. Then Peterman and the rookie battle it out to see who is the QB2 going into the season. The other is QB3.

47 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Comparing a 7 year veteran with a rookie with 1 start.  Very Hot take.

Taylor was benched because he was not very productive.  My point is it is not like Peterman had to beat out Brees, Brady, or Rodgers here.  The level of competency they where hoping to see out of Peterman was not a very high bar to clear.  Peterman came up extremely short of that bar.  Going forward he is not part of the quarterback decussion or future plans reguarding the starting spot.  He had multiple oppurtunities to earn the job and he failed to do so in a way that his place on the roster will be questioned.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Be serious, he came in out a 4th and 3 and kept the drive alive, also made a very nice play after.

The intentional grounding was a garbage call and very subjective. And we all know the INT wasn't legit either and even if was it was another deflection.

I think folks are really underestimating just how good NP is given what he's shown this year under very extreme circumstances. I have no doubt he's going to have a great offseason and certainly bulk up a bit to work on the perceived weak arm strength issue.

8 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Be serious, he came in out a 4th and 3 and kept the drive alive, also made a very nice play after.

The intentional grounding was a garbage call and very subjective. And we all know the INT wasn't legit either and even if was it was another deflection.

I think folks are really underestimating just how good NP is given what he's shown this year under very extreme circumstances. I have no doubt he's going to have a great offseason and certainly bulk up a bit to work on the perceived weak arm strength issue.

What has he done well? Specifically, what encourages you about him? 

14 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

not to pile on here, but just curious what leads you to conclude he is good?  What has he shown, specifically, this year that would lead you to the conclusion he should start over a vet (cousins or smith) or one of the top rated rookies?  

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What has he done well? Specifically, what encourages you about him? 

He has all the prototypical QB traits with the only major knock being arm strength which is fixable obviously. But still think his arm has looked just fine for the most part.

I get that the Chargers game was a disaster but you have to look at context as well (i.e. Benjamin getting hurt right away, the snowball effect after the first deflected INT and the Chargers simply being a good team went on a run after destroying us).

But I think NP showed a lot in the Blizzard game sans the stupid play that got him hurt. And what more can people ask for given the circumstances he entered the playoff game in down 7 with less than 2 minutes to play against a very good Jags team? Yet he still converted a 4th and 3 and was screwed over with a very questionable grounding call and non INT that should been overturned.

Bottom line, there is a lot of upside given the fact he was a 5th round rookie QB that probably shouldn't have played this year even though I still believe he was the better option than TT.

1 hour ago, Dorkington said:

Peterman almost cost us a place in the playoffs, and then actually did cost us while said playoff game was on the line... and you want to hand the franchise to him?

Yeesh. 

He *could* still develop, but he is pretty far away from being a viable starter at the moment. 

Yes, you could say he did. 

We can also say that the 3 game stink fest that prompted Nate's start was costly as well.  

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

He has all the prototypical QB traits with the only major knock being arm strength which is fixable obviously. But still think his arm has looked just fine for the most part.

I get that the Chargers game was a disaster but you have to look at context as well (i.e. Benjamin getting hurt right away, the snowball effect after the first deflected INT and the Chargers simply being a good team went on a run after destroying us).

But I think NP showed a lot in the Blizzard game sans the stupid play that got him hurt. And what more can people ask for given the circumstances he entered the playoff game in down 7 with less than 2 minutes to play against a very good Jags team? Yet he still converted a 4th and 3 and was screwed over with a very questionable grounding call and non INT that should been overturned.

Bottom line, there is a lot of upside given the fact he was a 5th round rookie QB that probably shouldn't have played this year even though I still believe he was the better option than TT.

I don’t blame him for the other day but he was bad.

What traits does he have that are prototypical? His accuracy isn’t good. He is bad under pressure (they called him Nervous Nate in college). He is a turnover machine and his arm strength is average at best. When he played he looked like the same guy he was before the NFL. What is the upside that you are seeing? He couldn’t have possibly looked worse when given the opportunity. Now you not only want him back but you want him running the team?!? 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What traits does he have that are prototypical? His accuracy isn’t good. He is bad under pressure (they called him Nervous Nate in college). He is a turnover machine and his arm strength is average at best. When he played he looked like the same guy he was before the NFL. What is the upside that you are seeing? He couldn’t have possibly looked worse when given the opportunity. Now you not only want him back but you want him running the team?!? 

Seems I need to pay closer attention to scouting reports.   

I just posted an example in another thread that is 100% spot on 7 years later.   

college style QBing is ruining the NFL 

• Like (+1) 1

I love Peterman as a serviceable backup, and maybe his future can be brighter than that as some backups end up being, but he is not ready to be handed the keys.  Excited to have him on the roster, but more Frank Reich than Jim Kelly.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agreed. I've been saying the same things since preseason.  Next!

5 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I still think NP is the QB of the future and option four is my choice especially since Beane is in love with him:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/buffalo-bills-tyrod-taylor-nathan-peterman-quarterback-future-2018-nfl-draft-alex-smith/95ofoqj66m4m1gywtd44mklke

You and I both know the guy won't even be on the Bills roster come the first game in regulation next year.     He is going to get bounced.     He will land somewhere else as a backup and eventually fade out of the NFL entirely.

Take the bag of hammers while the offer is still on the table.    It is the best you are gonna do for that chump.   Dude sucks.   He is like 10x worse than Tyrod.   And Tyrod isn't good enough.