Benjamin is a #1 WR

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

Disagree.  Don't think he has great hands not from watching him in Buffalo.  He's nowhere near Fitzgerald or Brandon Marshall in terms of talent. He's got fast tight end speed, slow for a WR.  He's a #2 or #3 receiver IMO.  Bills need a true #1, one that has speed, hands and can run all the routes.  That said he is a good addition if the Bills can add a #1. 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

He's not as good as this fan base thinks he is.

On a good team he's more like a 2.

I love his size.

These are good posts.  Too slow for #1.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

The guy has great hands, can separate and uses his large frame very well. He can have Larry Fitzgerald and Brandon Marshall (in their prime) numbers with a good QB that's not afraid to throw. He is always open.

We can get someone on the other side to stretch the field through FA like Mike Wallace or John Brown. Don't waste a high pick on a WR.

The kid was a beast at FSU and if not for him FSU would never beat Auburn in that championship game , he’s a legit #1 wr IMO

2 hours ago, BuffaloBud420 said:

The guy has great hands, can separate and uses his large frame very well. He can have Larry Fitzgerald and Brandon Marshall (in their prime) numbers with a good QB that's not afraid to throw. He is always open.

We can get someone on the other side to stretch the field through FA like Mike Wallace or John Brown. Don't waste a high pick on a WR.

I would love John Brown opposite of a healthy Kelvin Benjamin. We still need a QB!!

54 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't see enough separation. He looks really slow out there. 

He's big, but I'm not giving any long term money to a big, slow receiver with major knee problems. 

He did look really slow after the  knee injury. But if he recovers, he's a very valuable player for this team. We just saw a glimpse of what he can add in that Peterman snow bowl game. I wouldn't re-sign him after next year since he seems unlikely to age well, but if they get a healthy KB next year for a full season it will have been worth the draft pick.

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Disagree.  Don't think he has great hands not from watching him in Buffalo.  He's nowhere near Fitzgerald or Brandon Marshall in terms of talent. He's got fast tight end speed, slow for a WR.  He's a #2 or #3 receiver IMO.  Bills need a true #1, one that has speed, hands and can run all the routes.  That said he is a good addition if the Bills can add a #1. 

Agree.  On an ideal Bills Super Bowl-caliber team, KB would be a solid #2 WR with D Thompson as a very good #3.

Not trying to be a weeney but:

He’s slow.

He doesn’t separate but uses his body to shield..... sometimes.

He does not have great hands. This was the knock on him coming out of college and it persists.

He doesn’t know how to avoid contact and takes hits full force.

I’m not saying he sucks. He is useful but he is NOT a number one receiver.

Just now, njbuff said:

If the Bills take a WR high, assuming that there is no capital given up by trading up.........,..

Who are some of the WR's you guys would like to see the Bills draft?

Calvin Ridley from Alabama is a quicker more fluid version of Robert Woods, he would be nice with Benjamin. Some project him as a top 20 pick, I don't. I see him as a top 20-40 pick. YMMV.

Equanimeous St. Brown is a highlight reel waiting to happen, he is huge with nice speed, an acrobatic catcher.

Christian Kirk reminds me of a poor man's Golden Tate, I'd absolutely love him in the 2-3.

Benjamin injured his knee in week 2 playing for Carolina and he was never really the same the rest of the season, as witnessed by the fact that he needs to have surgery on the knee. Couple that with the fact that he got traded midseason to a team that was 31st in passing offense. And then immediately reinjured the knee, had a QB change, a crazy snow game, a new playbook, etc. So, I don't think we should judge him on just the 6 games he played for Buffalo this year.

He missed all of the 2015 season with an injury, but his stats for the other two seasons (in Carolina) are pretty good for a rookie and then a third year player coming off of injury:

2014 (rookie year) 73 receptions for 1,008 yards and 9 TDs. 13.8 yards per reception. 

2016  63 receptions for 941 yards and 7 TDs. 14.9 yards per reception.

I agree with others that he can be a true number one with a good speed WR on the other side. He's moving into the prime of his career, where you have enough experience now, but your body is still young (he's 26).

So, get a solid #2, fast outside receiver in draft or free agency

PU a WR who can return kicks, but can help you out on the field a bit if need be as well

And then you have Zay, who may be a better fit in the slot (I do think he will come around)

and then fill out the roster with  2 or 3 of Matthews (if they bring him back), Thompson, Streater, Riley, FA, rookie

That could be a pretty solid WR corp.

4 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

I disagree...

I think D. Thompson is absolutely an NFL wide receiver and a good number 2.....if Zay can live up to his draft hype in year 2 they are in very good shape.   I have not given up on Zay.

Define “good number 2” John. 

Would that mean top top half of the second 32 WRs (top 48 wr)? Or maybe second best wr on most teams? Or simply the second best guy on your favorite team?

Im having trouble finding a definition that works. If a street free agent you bring on in October is your #2 your situation is in shambles. I think Thompson is well served as a #4 with the understanding that he likely is top 3 any given week with injuries and is in regular packages even as 4. As a depth guy stepping up he’s viable. That’s a great resource and not a knock on him. Could probably even sneak by as your 3... but let’s really hope to have a couple guys better than him.

4 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

While I agree with most of what you said, I definitely don't think he's a number 3 receiver.

I would put him more as a solid 2 receiver, but not a number 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Not trying to be a weeney but:

He’s slow.

He doesn’t separate but uses his body to shield..... sometimes.

He does not have great hands. This was the knock on him coming out of college and it persists.

He doesn’t know how to avoid contact and takes hits full force.

I’m not saying he sucks. He is useful but he is NOT a number one receiver.

Im a little higher on him but he’s still behind:

brown, Beckham, Julio, green, Evans, dez, Michael thomas, jordy Demaryus, Hopkins, cooper, Alshon, cooks, Adams, TY... off hand... that makes him at best average. 

Short term there are some older guys ahead and long term some younger depending on how you want to weigh things — making him a below average #1 probably.... but not a train wreck either.

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

While I agree with most of what you said, I definitely don't think he's a number 3 receiver.

I would put him more as a solid 2 receiver, but not a number 1

If you really sit down with it I’d guess the earliest he lands is about 20 and latest in the early 30s? Depending on if you prefer speed or size. He’s not in the “dynamic in any scheme with any qb” category. Plug him into the right system with the right qb and keep healthy — and he’s a very good resource though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

To be fair there are like three wide receivers in history that are anywhere near Fitzgerald at this point.  Not a fair comparison.  

You can certainly always upgrade, but there are far worse "#1" receivers on teams right now.  Call him a 1B if you will, but Benjamin is a talent when healthy.  "When healthy" is what concerns me most at this point.

Come to think of it, rather than arguing if Benjamin is a #1 or not, I frankly can't really think of any #2's that are better.  So hell, if we happen to have potentially the best #2 receiver in the league I'll take it.  Calling him a #3 at this point is just extreme.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

Benjamin still has some convincing to do for me but he was never fully healthy here and I am willing to give him a bit of a pass for that reason.  

Behind him we do lack some talent. I'm not as big of a Deonte Thompson guy as some, I'd let him walk.... I liked the Zay Jones pick but the kid has looked out of his depth out there and rebuilding his confidence will be a challenge in itself.  I am totally against another high pick on one in this draft though.  Quarterbacks and trenches should absolutely be the focus of this draft.  If, after that, the Bill want to take a later round flier on a WR I will not be against it. But my preference would be a couple of mid tier FAs who compliment what they have in Benjamin - so a speed guy and a slot guy.  

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Im a little higher on him but he’s still behind:

brown, Beckham, Julio, green, Evans, dez, Michael thomas, jordy Demaryus, Hopkins, cooper, Alshon, cooks, Adams, TY... off hand... that makes him at best average. 

Agree with all but Cooper. His hands are simply not good enough.  

• Like (+1) 1