Benjamin is a #1 WR

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I was going write something rude to my friends here.

about the condition of Bills WRs

I should just leave it at that.

but they really suck. all of them excepting Shady and Clay.
 just embarrassing really.

maybe when Benjamin gets his knee cleaned up he could be a 2-3

yes Zay has shown he is capable ^_^

(as promised) 

Clay - 558 yds

McCoy - 448 yds

Deonte Thompson - 430 (~ half a season)

:oops:- Nick O'Leary  - 322 

Zay Jones - 316

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rob's House said:

What's the knock on Thompson? I haven't studied his game but as a casual observer it seems like he gets open, has decent hands, and great speed. Obviously he has weaknesses or he wouldn't have bounced around the league, but what are they?

Thompson arguably cost the bills 6 points on his own in the jags game - the drop before halftime arguably forced the bills to punt, and his ridiculously stupid hold on the big shady reception that coat the bills 33 yards. Not a reliable player, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Thompson arguably cost the bills 6 points on his own in the jags game - the drop before halftime arguably forced the bills to punt, and his ridiculously stupid hold on the big shady reception that coat the bills 33 yards. Not a reliable player, in my opinion.

Which could have been nullified if Taylor had seen Thompson streaking down the sideline wide open and not over thrown him. 

12 hours ago, Rob's House said:

What's the knock on Thompson? I haven't studied his game but as a casual observer it seems like he gets open, has decent hands, and great speed. Obviously he has weaknesses or he wouldn't have bounced around the league, but what are they?

On Sunday didn't he drop one before the half that allowed the Jags to tie.  Then a dumb penalty on shadys 40 yard screen.  Those kind of things.  

Edited by Charles Romes

13 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Look at the difference in targets too. Not that you need to post them or anything, just think it's funny.

Maaannn   More work?  

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

I always think that this is interesting. Notice Zay’s catch rate :unsure:

I think that should have been -->  :sick: 

• Haha (+1) 1

I couldn't agree more. But It's funny how one player can change that entire perception. Before we acquired him, it was "This WR corps is a joke, worst in the league, bunch of scrubs" yada, yada, yada. We get KB and now everybody "loves our core of WR's." And I'm not picking on anyone, because that's the way I genuinely feel, too. It's just funny to me how one guy's "star power" changes everybody's perception.

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

If you really sit down with it I’d guess the earliest he lands is about 20 and latest in the early 30s? Depending on if you prefer speed or size. He’s not in the “dynamic in any scheme with any qb” category. Plug him into the right system with the right qb and keep healthy — and he’s a very good resource though.

You are correct, let me clarify what I meant.

Whst I meant to say was he’s a solid 2 on a good team.

I don’t think he’s good enough to be the number 1 on a dynamic offence, but he could be a number 1 on a mediocre to bad team

11 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I couldn't agree more. But It's funny how one player can change that entire perception. Before we acquired him, it was "This WR corps is a joke, worst in the league, bunch of scrubs" yada, yada, yada. We get KB and now everybody "loves our core of WR's." And I'm not picking on anyone, because that's the way I genuinely feel, too. It's just funny to me how one guy's "star power" changes everybody's perception.

Clay and O'Leary have been good, but under utilized.  

Woods (I don't believe) was ever though to be good here.

Sammy (to me) was a disappointment and didn't live up to the expectations.  

14 hours ago, Jasovon said:

Agreed, i really like our WR core going into next season

I dont really like our WR’s. 

Benjamin is good no doubt. But its hard to really like Zay Jones and a bunch of practice squad guys. 

So yeh, we need a WR imo. Not in the 1st round though. 

Benjamin is not a #1 receiver and will never be one. However, that doesn't mean that he can't be a good number #2 receiver for us. I believe that although Zay Jones struggled (he was bad!) he will turn it around next season. In my mind he is a number #2 or 3 receiver. He might turn out to be a good slot receiver. With all of our needs I think it would be foolish to expend a high draft pick or make a high cost acquisition on an authentic #1 receiver. 

Just because a team doesn't have a credible #1 receiver that doesn't mean that you can't have a very productive receiving corps which includes the TEs. Even without a top shelf receiver you can significantly upgrade the unit with a better qb. That's where our attention and resources should be directed towards. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

You are correct, let me clarify what I meant.

Whst I meant to say was he’s a solid 2 on a good team.

I don’t think he’s good enough to be the number 1 on a dynamic offence, but he could be a number 1 on a mediocre to bad team

Put another way - he’s a big productive guy that any team would welcome on the field — but he’s not the guy that makes the safety’s day hell. 

Put him in a scheme with a good TE, fast number two, strong run game and dynamic qb (ala Carolina with Olsen, Ginn, cam and those backs when he was there) and he can feast in a situation where the defense had to pick its poison. But he’s not aj green who even when doubled is a struggle and is opening things up for everyone else every play 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Disagree.  Don't think he has great hands not from watching him in Buffalo.  He's nowhere near Fitzgerald or Brandon Marshall in terms of talent. He's got fast tight end speed, slow for a WR.  He's a #2 or #3 receiver IMO.  Bills need a true #1, one that has speed, hands and can run all the routes.  That said he is a good addition if the Bills can add a #1. 

He's a good possession WR that doesn't have the outside speed to get behind the Safety.

If we draft a QB in the 1st, we need to draft a fast wideout in the 2nd unless McDermot thinks that Zay Jones will cure his rookie year yipps.

44 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Put another way - he’s a big productive guy that any team would welcome on the field — but he’s not the guy that makes the safety’s day hell. 

Put him in a scheme with a good TE, fast number two, strong run game and dynamic qb (ala Carolina with Olsen, Ginn, cam and those backs when he was there) and he can feast in a situation where the defense had to pick its poison. But he’s not aj green who even when doubled is a struggle and is opening things up for everyone else every play 

Exactly, I 100 percent agree

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Look at the difference in targets too. Not that you need to post them or anything, just think it's funny.

My eye test told me O'Leary was often in the game plan, especially after repeated and nearly desperate attempts to get Jones involved.

Whole WR group and vision needs to be addressed 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

John,

In what world is Deonte Thompson a good number 2 receiver? 

Did you not read the stats I posted? 

With Taylor DT was the Bills leading "receiver" at that position in  8 - 10 weeks time

Stone hands Jones was the second leading "receiver" at that position.

I don't think we can say he'd suck or be good at this time.     We won't know until we get a QB that actually isn't afraid too tentative to pass the ball.