2018 Veteran QBs - the Mega Poll

Veteran QBs - Which One?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see the Bills target for 2018?

• Keep Tyrod (already signed; $$$)
    • Alex Smith (trade)
    • Kirk Cousins (free agent; $$$$)
    • Andy Dalton (trade)
    • AJ McCarron (free agent; $$)
    • Josh McCown (free agent; $$)
    • Chase Daniel (free agent; $)
    • Teddy Bridgewater (free agent; $$)
    • Case Keenum (free agent; $$$)
    • Sam Bradford (free agent; $$$)
    • Eli Manning (trade)
    • Matt Moore (free agent; $)

Not just another QB speculation post - let's put everyone on the record right here and now. Which veteran QB (not potential draft picks here) would you like to see in a Bills uniform next year? I'll limit it to those that are either free agents or can reasonably be expected to be available in a trade. No "maybe the NFL will terminate Aaron Rodgers' contract and we can sign him" fantasies. And also no "let's sign Jimmy G." since we can be all but certain that the Niners will franchise tag him if need be. And former Bills (that's you, EJ and Fitzy) are assumed not to be in play. Let's take expected salaries/contract lengths and a reasonable guess at draft picks we'd need to surrender into account too.  Make your best pitch!  If it's a trade, what do you think we'd need to give up--draft picks only please (no "trade Tyrod")-- to get the player?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

If Cousins become available I am "all in" and would make him the highest paid player in the league. He will continue to be a top 12 QB in the league for at least the next 5 years. 

My second choice would be Bridgewater and my third choice would be Alex Smith. 

It would be nice to get Cousins because we wouldn't have to worry about drafting a QB. I view Bridegewater and Smith more as bridge QBs. 

It is going to be between Allen and Mayfield if it comes to the draft. We would probably have to give up both number ones to move into the top ten if we a stuck in that situation. I am really excited to watch Allen at the senior bowl in a couple weeks!

• Like (+1) 1

I like the idea of signing Alex Smith to a 2-3 year deal and drafting a rookie in the 1st round.  (Depending on what it would take to trade for him and what his salary demands would be)

I don't think Kirk Cousins is going to be worth what he gets on the open market and don't think he's enough of an upgrade from Tyrod to justify the monster salary.  (Although I admittedly don't watch many NFC games so I don't see him play much)  The only other name on that list I like is Case Keenum (and I haven't seen him play much either)

I don't think any of the other names on that list are a big enough upgrade from Tyrod to take this team to the next level.  So if we can't get Smith/Keenum I'd rather just go the draft route, save the $$, and take a step backwards in 2018 so that we have the cap space to take a bigger step forward in 2019.

I do think 2018 is going to be one of those years where at least one franchise QB changes teams (which doesn't happen often) so I think the Bills should try to be very active in the QB market this off-season.  Especially since I don't know that picks 21 & 22 are going to get them a great prospect.  They were saying on TV at halftime of the Chiefs/Titans game yesterday that scouts are saying Darnold/Rosen are not as well-regarded as Trubisky/Mahommes/Watson were last year.  Not sure how many people agree with that or not, but if true, that doesn't give me much hope for whoever is left over by the time we're able to pick. (I still think they should draft one anyway though)  

Edited by Adam727

5 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

I'm a Bridgewater guy, like his game and he seems like a guy that will trust the process.

Cousins not a process guy.

What's "a process guy?"  I'm not being obnoxious; I just don't really know what you mean on why Bridgewater would fit the description but Cousins wouldn't.

I would like to see the Bills target a FA, and I personally favor Cousins as having shown the highest level of play for the most years, and perhaps being the closest fit to what Dennison seems to want.

Case Keenum is having a freakin' career year - no one who saw him play for the Rams saw this coming.  No one. 

(And if anyone who watched the Rams a good bit tells you they did, they're fibbing). 

Maybe the light bulb has flipped on for him in his 6th year and it will stay lit - or maybe he'll "regress to the mean"

Similar concern for McCown, except that he's older.

Bradford and Bridgewater both worry me as injury risks.  Bridgewater's injury was so severe.  Bradford has had so many.

Eli Manning intrigues me but Dennison isn't the OC to bring him back to form.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

12 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I don't think Kirk Cousins is going to be worth what he gets on the open market and don't think he's enough of an upgrade from Tyrod to justify the monster salary.  (Although I admittedly don't watch many NFC games so I don't see him play much)  The only other name on that list I like is Case Keenum (and I haven't seen him play much either)

*facepalm*

Please define what you see as "enough of an upgrade"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would like to see the Bills target a FA, and I personally favor Cousins as having shown the highest level of play for the most years, and perhaps being the closest fit to what Dennison seems to want.

Case Keenum is having a freakin' career year - no one who saw him play for the Rams saw this coming.  No one. 

(And if anyone who watched the Rams a good bit tells you they did, they're fibbing). 

Maybe the light bulb has flipped on for him in his 6th year and it will stay lit - or maybe he'll "regress to the mean"

Similar concern for McCown, except that he's older.

Bradford and Bridgewater both worry me as injury risks.  Bridgewater's injury was so severe.  Bradford has had so many.

Eli Manning intrigues me but Dennison isn't the OC to bring him back to form.

I can't believe McCown lasted nearly the whole year. But I do think that while healthy he really was good; it was a career year, but it wasn't a fluke. I could live with him on a 1-year deal IF we draft a very good rookie qB

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

AJ McCarron and a rookie is what I'm hoping for. The Bengals Bills connection is not only a Dalton TD pass and the playoff drought breaker. It's going to also be us signing AJ McCarron and him leading us to a super bowl.

Wow, that's some major confidence in McCarron. I think most people would see him as a bridge guy - start for a year (or most of a year) and then a draft pick takes over.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Tyrod because I don't want a veteran QB.

I want to draft a QB high in the 1st, period.

I think Taylor's more likely to still be in Buffalo next year with our 1st round pick than any of those other choices. As it says in the poll, Taylor's under contract.

McD is going to watch that game film at least 20 times this week. Their is no way he walks out of that film room feeling good about Taylor. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

McD is going to watch that game film at least 20 times this week. Their is no way he walks out of that film room feeling good about Taylor. 

Sean made his decision to move on from TT way back in the Charger game. It was over then. Whatever Tyrod did when he was re inserted was irrelevant. Sean needs a new OC and QB desperately and keep Peterman as a backup.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Sean made his decision to move on from TT way back in the Charger game. It was over then. Whatever Tyrod did when he was re inserted was irrelevant. Sean needs a new OC and QB desperately and keep Peterman as a backup.

I wouldn't say that whatever Taylor did post-Chargers was irrelevant. If he'd had a good game - hell, even if he'd had a good game-winning drive - it would have made it much more difficult for them to move on from him. Same thing with the Chiefs if Alex Smith had put together a good enough 2nd half to win.

33 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I like the idea of signing Alex Smith to a 2-3 year deal and drafting a rookie in the 1st round.  (Depending on what it would take to trade for him and what his salary demands would be)

I don't think any of the other names on that list are a big enough upgrade from Tyrod to take this team to the next level.  So if we can't get Smith/Keenum I'd rather just go the draft route, save the $$, and take a step backwards in 2018 so that we have the cap space to take a bigger step forward in 2019.

I do think 2018 is going to be one of those years where at least one franchise QB changes teams (which doesn't happen often) so I think the Bills should try to be very active in the QB market this off-season.  Especially since I don't know that picks 21 & 22 are going to get them a great prospect.  They were saying on TV at halftime of the Chiefs/Titans game yesterday that scouts are saying Darnold/Rosen are not as well-regarded as Trubisky/Mahommes/Watson were last year.  Not sure how many people agree with that or not, but if true, that doesn't give me much hope for whoever is left over by the time we're able to pick. (I still think they should draft one anyway though)  

I have not finished watching games this year. But I did watch some games on Darnold and Rosen last year and I would agree with that based on last years tape. 

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would like to go the Seahawks route and sign a guy like AJ McCarron and draft a QB. Have Peterman, McCarron and the rookie fight it out in TC and use the cap savings to rebuild the O-line and D-Lines. 

I still think this is the most likely route. One of my "$$" vets + a 1st or 2nd rounder. I'm not sure I like that, but given how many teams well ahead of us in the draft need a QB, the Rosen-Darnold-Mayfield scenario is likely beyond our reach.

10 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

Kirk cousins no matter the cost and keep the draft picks to fortify the dline and oline and a real back up running back..plan b explore teddy bridgwater or case keenum

Honestly when I look at that list, the only one I can see beating Tom Brady is Kirk Cousins. 

11 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Who says he has to feel good about him as the future?

I think the The talk about veteran QBs is silly because I think McDermott wants to draft a guy high is my guess. Taylor would be the transition.

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

*facepalm*

Please define what you see as "enough of an upgrade"

A QB good enough that he should be able to make the Bills perennial playoff contenders given that we'd be making him the highest paid player in the NFL and using up 20% of our salary cap on him for the next 7 years.   Or if that's asking too much, maybe a QB with a winning record as a starter?  

Just the difference between what Cousins is going to make vs what we save from cutting Tyrod (not even talking Cousins' entire salary) is probably almost enough to re-sign Benjamin/Gaines/Kyle Williams.

I'm not convinced Cousins is so good that he can put THIS Bills team on his back and take them to the post-season when he wasn't able to do it in Washington.  Spending that much on Kirk Cousins with this supporting cast seems to me like the recipe for another decade of 8-8 football.  But again I don't watch him play much.  So maybe I'm just not understanding how good he is.  

Edited by Adam727

27 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Agree 110% - there is NO WAY he can leave that room saying - yeah this is my guy - especially after putting in Peterman for the LA game.  McD don't have the Tyrod love some of you folks here do.  For the love of all you call holy HOW can you support a QB who went pass first on 1st and goal from the 1 yard line.

Also - Dennison NEEDS to go.......NEEDS to go!

2 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

Kirk Cousins. But I'm not opposed to doing what it takes for one of the top QBs in the draft.

Cousins would be great!  I am flat out opposed though for trading up to get 1 of the top QBs in the draft as:

1. We need to use the draft to fill other essential needs to make this team an SB winner

A. DT pass rusher/run plugger to replace likely retiree Williams and trading Dareus

B. WR support and competition for Benjamin/Green/Matthews/Thompson

C. Eventual replacement and immediate back-up for Shady

D. LB  quality and depth

E. OL competition

F. Potential late QB development pick

2. The top rookie QBs (Donald, Rosen, etc) appear years away from being starters

3. McDermott deserves great praise for leading the teamk to the playoffs and Beane praise for loading up on draft choices w/o having to tank.  However, the braintrust shows no ability to develop young QBs (I fear they may have destroyed NPs self-confidence and his teammates faih in him by foolishly panicking and throwing him to the wolves in mid-season).  I'd hate to see us giveaway needed draft resources to trade up for a QB we would mismanage his development as we did with NP or management and playcalling as we did with TT.  

I believe a wild card in this is Sam Bradford.

Granted, he spent another year injured.  But he only missed 3 games the past two seasons before week 2 in 2017, after throwing for 346 yards vs. NO in Week 1.

TT has started 43 games as a Bill.  Bradford has started 17 for Vikings.  If you avg. TT's stats down to 17 games:

TAYLOR:  W/L: 9-8,  3498 YARDS, 62.6 COMP %, 20 TD - 8 INT, 92.5 PASSER RATING, 49 SACKS (AVG 206 PASSING YARDS PER GAME)

BRADFORD:  W/L: 9-8, 4259 YARDS, 71.8 COMP %, 23 TD - 5 INT, 101.1 PASSER RATING, 42 SACKS (AVG 251 PASSING YARDS PER GAME)

Bradford is only 2 1/2 years older than TT.  But the elephant is injuries.  Although he's played 4 seasons where he has missed a total of 3 games, his other 3 seasons he missed 29, including 14 this year (although they could have brought him back sooner if necessary but didn't with Keenum and Bridgewater.)

If Cousins gets too pricy I believe Bradford could be a solid value for less, and could end up being a better value.

I voted Cousins on the assumption that McD and the Front Office think this team can compete for a Wild Card the next few seasons.  

If the Braintrust thinks 2017 was a fluke and are rebuilding, then go with Bradford or Bridgewater while they groom a 1st rounder

Keenum won't happen, Vikings would probably Franchise him

Let's be realistic, the chance of Cousins coming to Buffalo are slim to none. So, who on the list would be attainable and have a big upside? I see two: AJ McCarron and Teddy Bridgewater. Both have shone very good NFL promise. I believe either would be upgrades and potential franchise building QB's--both would be a safer risk than anyone we could draft. Moreover, getting one of them would allow us to keep all the draft picks and build the many other needs this team has.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agree with everything but Peterman. He isnt a number 2 yet. We need a quality 2 in the biggest way.

Eli is the only one with a SB ring, but his days as an above average starter, which is all he ever was, are history. The logical conclusion then? None of the above, thank you. McCown would be a good backup and mentor to whoever we draft.

Edited by GreggTX

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He hasn’t liked Taylor for awhile.  He benched him for a reason.  

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Who says he has to feel good about him as the future?

I think the The talk about veteran QBs is silly because I think McDermott wants to draft a guy high is my guess. Taylor would be the transition.

McDermott wants something out of the passing game and he’s not going to get that out of Taylor.

You really want Taylor back don’t you?