Anyone notice Marcus Murphy seems much bigger now?

He's listed at only 193 pounds but it looks to me like he's much thicker and heavier than that.  Like 20 lbs more.  Is that an illusion?

The knock on him in New Orleans was fumbling, maybe the way around that is getting Andre Reed biceps and forearms.

I think that's why he's not returning kicks for us, despite his skills in that area and Tate being less-than-average back there, there's no way you can add that much muscle and lose a little speed.

I think Shady will be active for the game but very limited, and this castoff from the Saints might be our best hope.  Weird they signed Jonathan Williams to a 2yr deal, and here we are with a kid they drafted in the 7th round two years ago and waived in camp this year, who may very get the bulk of the carries in our first playoff game in forever.

He looked ok. Nowhere near as elusive as shady, and it looked to me in his few touches that vision is not a strong suit for him. Hopefully he can be productive whether shady plays or not.

That said, he's about 47000000 times better of a RB than FB mike.

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

I had never heard of him before this past Sunday, but I was super impressed!

It's one game, so we'll see how he does not only on Sunday but from here on out - but with that caveat, it just adds to Beane and his staff's ability to unearth good talent anywhere. It just adds a small piece of confidence as I look to 2018 and beyond into what he and McD can do to achieve the level of success we're all hoping for, this year notwithstanding since nobody here wants to go 9-7 every year and cross their fingers for a miracle to get into the playoffs. But, it is an auspicious first season.

21 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

He's listed at only 193 pounds but it looks to me like he's much thicker and heavier than that.  Like 20 lbs more.  Is that an illusion?

The knock on him in New Orleans was fumbling, maybe the way around that is getting Andre Reed biceps and forearms.

I think that's why he's not returning kicks for us, despite his skills in that area and Tate being less-than-average back there, there's no way you can add that much muscle and lose a little speed.

I think Shady will be active for the game but very limited, and this castoff from the Saints might be our best hope.  Weird they signed Jonathan Williams to a 2yr deal, and here we are with a kid they drafted in the 7th round two years ago and waived in camp this year, who may very get the bulk of the carries in our first playoff game in forever.

“Reggie Bush mixed with Shady”... :lol:  but let’s hope this kid has a monster game on Sunday

1 hour ago, BBills88 said:

We really like the Saints running backs. First Cadet now Murphy. 

This was just my first thought when reading your post, but Payton seems to like RB's that can catch out of the backfield too.  Seems like Cadet was well versed in that and hopefully Murphy is too. 

Even if McCoy plays he's obviously not going to be anywhere close to 100% so I really hope Murphy gets the bulk of the carries and we don't waste precious snaps on Tolbert.

However since McD keeps pointing to Tolbert being a 'veteran' with 'playoff experience' something tells me we are going to see way more of him then we should.

23 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I think it is indeed an illusion.  He is only 5'8", so he needs the bulk in order to not get destroyed.  I actually wonder if his fumbling issues might be because his guns are getting in the way.

23 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

No had not noticed. But, my sources say The Joe Webb package will be enormous this Sunday.

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Even if McCoy plays he's obviously not going to be anywhere close to 100% so I really hope Murphy gets the bulk of the carries and we don't waste precious snaps on Tolbert.

However since McD keeps pointing to Tolbert being a 'veteran' with 'playoff experience' something tells me we are going to see way more of him then we should.

If Tolbert touches the ball more than 5x we're in trouble. 

6 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

He looked ok. Nowhere near as elusive as shady, and it looked to me in his few touches that vision is not a strong suit for him. Hopefully he can be productive whether shady plays or not.

I actually thought his vision was a bit better than Shady's on Sunday. I understand that teams key in on Shady and make him their top priority but there were a few plays against Miami where he had a lane but he would either cut back or try to reverse field and just got dropped for a loss each time. Murphy was more straight-ahead, probably followed the plays closer to the design than Shady does as they trust him to pick his lane and go. 

Tolbert is gonna get some carries. I hope they resemble his few carries in Miami because that's when he's most effective, downhill. If I see them call a stretch play to him one more time I'mma lose it.

6 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

He looks to be more of a north - south runner than Shady, but he still has good vision and the ability to make defenders look silly with a good cut.

5 hours ago, UB2SF said:

I think it is indeed an illusion.  He is only 5'8", so he needs the bulk in order to not get destroyed.  I actually wonder if his fumbling issues might be because his guns are getting in the way.

5 8 and 193 is pretty solid. thats like 6 0 and 212. I agree w you re the guns. Guns are not an asset for RBs and WRs and QBs. They get in the way.

5 hours ago, horned dogs said:

No had not noticed. But, my sources say The Joe Webb package will be enormous this Sunday.

I am sure Mrs Webb will appreciate it Sunday night.

30 minutes ago, Tcali said:

5 8 and 193 is pretty solid. thats like 6 0 and 212. I agree w you re the guns. Guns are not an asset for RBs and WRs and QBs. They get in the way.

Well they can be used for stiff arming and I am guessing with his lower height he could do a wicked stiff arm.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I am sure Mrs Webb will appreciate it Sunday night.

Well they can be used for stiff arming and I am guessing with his lower height he could do a wicked stiff arm.

he could stiff arm the guy in the abdomen

Just now, Tcali said:

he could stiff arm the guy in the abdomen

The best stiff arms are when you are able to push up with momentum,  it helps take a player off feet and then your momentum pushes player forward with you.

In high school I was a freshman on senior football team and my coach used me for blocking drills because I had big feet which anchored me and I'd be knocking players backwards.  

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The best stiff arms are when you are able to push up with momentum,  it helps take a player off feet and then your momentum pushes player forward with you.

In high school I was a freshman on senior football team and my coach used me for blocking drills because I had big feet which anchored me and I'd be knocking players backwards.  

ok--but i was making a joke. RBs make stiff arms differently than O linemen.Jim Btrown--the king of the stiff arm just pushed guys straight out of the way

7 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

that d is no joke. i hope we don't see run,run 3rd and long all day because we'll be screwed. this game will show everything we need to know about rico.

12 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

that d is no joke. i hope we don't see run,run 3rd and long all day because we'll be screwed. this game will show everything we need to know about rico.

Good point about Rico.   He's had a full season now to get a feel for this offense and its nuances.   The Oline seems to have climbed out of that abysmal performance in San Diego and stabilized enough to give a legit mix of pass and run opportunities.   We know Marrone isn't exactly a great game caller and may be slow to adjust, can Rico stay ahead of him and call a better game?