CNN losing credibility as each day passes... Its pure propaganda at this point

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Is that just until the suit can be heard and ruled on?

Correct.  Judge didn't rule on any merits, just granted emergency motion.

My guess is that all regular briefings will be canceled until the lawsuit is done.

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Nanker said:

Until now, that is. :devil:

#FREEMEADE

No press pass no peace!

There shall only be civility in society when @mead107 is rightfully given his due.

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

Have you forgotten that Martin Luther King Jr was denied a press pass prior to the March on Selma? 

What about American citizens of Japanese heritage having their press passes pulled?  

The treatment of US soldiers returning from Vietnam and the denial their press passes? 

What about the epidemic of over-prescription of Press Pass denials resulting in the deaths of 200 Americans per day? 

Sir, Jim Acosta is the aggrieved party here, and the ripple effect of this tragedy is not yet known but likely will be devastating. As Phil Collins once sang...ripples never come back. 

This is still America, isn't it? 

In the 1930's, Nazi Germany started pulling the press passes of Jews. This Acoster thing is simply Trump showing that he is, indeed, actual literal super mecha-Hitler. We're one small step away from concentration camps.

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 2

understanding this ruling was not on merits, I see absolutely no single sentence in the Constitution guaranteeing White House press access, ability to ask questions to the president, or anything similar. Also don’t see how this has anything to do with due process. He’s not being charged with a crime. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, dubs said:

understanding this ruling was not on merits, I see absolutely no single sentence in the Constitution guaranteeing White House press access, ability to ask questions to the president, or anything similar. Also don’t see how this has anything to do with due process. He’s not being charged with a crime. 

There isn't one.  There is, however, freedom of the press.  And historically courts interpret First Amendment issues very broadly in favor of the people and against government control.

Which is not to say I support Acosta, or this stay.  I understand the stay, and am not surprised by it.  But I think that "freedom of the press" does not extend to "freedom of one person to demand a pass to be a disruptive jackass at press briefings."  It's not "the press" that's having their "freedom of the press" suspended.  It's Acosta's presumed individual right to be an *****, which the Constitution does not grant.

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

There isn't one.  There is, however, freedom of the press.  And historically courts interpret First Amendment issues very broadly in favor of the people and against government control.

Which is not to say I support Acosta, or this stay.  I understand the stay, and am not surprised by it.  But I think that "freedom of the press" does not extend to "freedom of one person to demand a pass to be a disruptive jackass at press briefings."  It's not "the press" that's having their "freedom of the press" suspended.  It's Acosta's presumed individual right to be an *****, which the Constitution does not grant.

This could open a whole nother can of worms though.

Who defines "the press"? Am I (generic "I") "the press" because I have a blog? Am I "the press" because I print out political commentary and stick those sheets of paper to telephone poles in my neighborhood? Am I "the press" because I took journalism in college? How do you keep out the National Enquirer? The  Daily Beast? Someone from GAB? Me?  Does it go by ratings? By subscribers? By youtube followers? By Facebook followers? Who should decide who has access to the White House? The President? Or a different, co-equal branch of the government?  And what if the person's "hard pass" (or day pass, or any press pass) is pulled due to a security risk? Why should s/he get it back?

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This could open a whole nother can of worms though.

Who defines "the press"? Am I (generic "I") "the press" because I have a blog? Am I "the press" because I print out political commentary and stick those sheets of paper to telephone poles in my neighborhood? Am I "the press" because I took journalism in college? How do you keep out the National Enquirer? The  Daily Beast? Someone from GAB? Me?  Does it go by ratings? By subscribers? By youtube followers? By Facebook followers? Who should decide who has access to the White House? The President? Or a different, co-equal branch of the government?  And what if the person's "hard pass" (or day pass, or any press pass) is pulled due to a security risk? Why should s/he get it back?

Yep.  It's a much more difficult question with the advent of social media.  

In previous administrations, "the press" for the purposes of White House briefings was defined by the Press Secretary.  And generally, any obviously questionable exclusions (e.g. Fox, by the Obama administration) was met with protest from the rest of the press pool - recognize major outlets have together jealously guarded their privilege, despite what differences they might have.  Conversely, minor or fringe outlets could be excluded without comment...and even including them might unify the major outlets in protest (I recall Ari Fleischer mentioning such in his memoirs.) . 

But the important point in all of those historical instances is that "the press" was defined at an institutional level.  Even the iconic Helen Thomas, who's position in the press corps late in life was in no small part honorary, still represented Hearst, and not herself as an individual.  Whoever defines "the press," it's always been defined institutionally and not individually within the context of the White House Press Corps.  Even the stay, in this case, is a distressing move away from that...and like GG says, careful what you wish for.

And I wish Thomas was still alive and in the press corps today.  She would have knocked Acosta in to next week and kicked his ass on Tuesday for his antics.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

There shall only be civility in society when @mead107 is rightfully given his due.

In the 1930's, Nazi Germany started pulling the press passes of Jews. This Acoster thing is simply Trump showing that he is, indeed, actual literal super mecha-Hitler. We're one small step away from concentration camps.

I don't see how the dominos could fall any other way given this Acosta thing. 1+2 always equals 3.

56 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

V Good overview. I agree totally. Thanks for that!

2 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Yea, for non-democrats.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Yep.  It's a much more difficult question with the advent of social media.  

In previous administrations, "the press" for the purposes of White House briefings was defined by the Press Secretary.  And generally, any obviously questionable exclusions (e.g. Fox, by the Obama administration) was met with protest from the rest of the press pool - recognize major outlets have together jealously guarded their privilege, despite what differences they might have.  Conversely, minor or fringe outlets could be excluded without comment...and even including them might unify the major outlets in protest (I recall Ari Fleischer mentioning such in his memoirs.) . 

But the important point in all of those historical instances is that "the press" was defined at an institutional level.  Even the iconic Helen Thomas, who's position in the press corps late in life was in no small part honorary, still represented Hearst, and not herself as an individual.  Whoever defines "the press," it's always been defined institutionally and not individually within the context of the White House Press Corps.  Even the stay, in this case, is a distressing move away from that...and like GG says, careful what you wish for.

And I wish Thomas was still alive and in the press corps today.  She would have knocked Acosta in to next week and kicked his ass on Tuesday for his antics.  

I wholeheartedly agree with that!

29 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No no no.  I'd call on him and often.  Just so I could say.  "See....this is why your pass was revoked.  You're not a journalistic part of the press.  You're an idiot with an agenda!"

Again: no need to call on him.  Don't, and he'll just interrupt everybody.

I think the other thing that might be at work here is that the Judge is a Trump appointee.  He may not have wanted to ruin his weekend and upcoming holiday by siding with the White House only to have the media and many others hounding him for his (in the words of Tibs) corrupt decision.  This may have caused him to lean in CNN's direction and it kicks the can down the road until the actual case is heard (or the matter is dropped). 

Just now, keepthefaith said:

I think the other thing that might be at work here is that the Judge is a Trump appointee.  He may not have wanted to ruin his weekend and upcoming holiday by siding with the White House only to have the media and many others hounding him for his (in the words of Tibs) corrupt decision.  This may have caused him to lean in CNN's direction and it kicks the can down the road until the actual case is heard (or the matter is dropped). 

dr.thumb.jpg.5c1150190b05218a1e8557f0d42443ca.jpg

11 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Facts don't care about your feelings. Crenshaw is pretty good at drilling down to show that broad strokes are just the Peace Outs of the journalism world; mind-numbingly simple words that have no real meaning when you try to get specific.

Hot damn.

now I can’t decide if I want Crenshaw or Halley for 2024. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Forever to be called "The Acosta Rule".

When a Democrat gets back in to the White House, this rule is going to be drastically loosened for liberal media, and tightened for conservative media.  President Beto will likely be able to ban Fox from the press pool completely, on their grounds that they're unprofessional and unfairly disruptive because their "fake news" breaks "established journalistic norms." 

If these rules stand up to the court challenge CNN will file tomorrow, arguing that these rules violate the First Amendment as an unfair restriction on the press...which they do, which any reasonable court should judge they do, which decision will amount to "The White House has no right or authority to moderate a press conference."

9 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol:

Oh, apparently Sara Carter's website is "unsafe" according to Twitter. Yeah, they're not suppressing anything...

Warning: this link may be unsafe

http://ht.ly/3Cdn30mFMZC

The link you are trying to access has been identified by Twitter or our partners as being potentially harmful or associated with a violation of Twitter’s Terms of Service. This link could lead to a site that:

• steals your password or other personal information
  • installs malicious software programs on your computer
  • collects your personal information for spam purposes
  • has been associated with a violation of Twitter’s Terms of Service

• Like (+1) 1