So does anyone BELIEVE we will make the Playoffs?

BigDingus

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right.... becuz the fins are so good..... so good, in fact, that earlier in the year you said they would probably beat us with their 2nd stringers in week 17 becuz they would be sitting their starters for the playoffs!:lol:

After he made the statement the Dolphins were a lock for the playoffs, they lost 5 in a row.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Well, in another point of view, if the Ravens held on to beat the Steelers, the Pats win vs Miami on Mon, and the Pats beat the Steelers next week, the Week 16 game wouldn’t mean much for the Pats

The Patriots go out to win every week however meaningless everyone else deems particular games to be. 

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Even if they miss the playoffs, going 8-8 or 9-7 in the first year of a major rebuild, with all new coaches, GM, and staff, plus most of the roster different, I'd say that's a huge sign of better days to come.

I said at the beginning of the season that if the Bills get to 8 wins it would be remarkable. I still feel that way.

We need a QB, though, and some other pieces.

This is the idea I'm struggling with. I can't decide if there's anything to be said for a moral victory in finishing 8-8 or 9-7, yet still missing the playoffs. It might feel good now that we finish with a better record than the previous year, or that we have a winning record, but come draft day I'll be pretty ticked off seeing franchise QB's go to teams other than the Bills because we won some meaningless games down the stretch (unless we can secure a deal with San Fran to move up somehow).

Again, mathematically it's possible we make the playoffs, but we've seen this show before... A lot actually. Even last year we were 7-7 and still in contention, with only the Dolphins & the Jets left. We lost to both...

In 2015 we were 6-6 with 4 very winnable games left and a great shot at a WC spot. We had the 5-7 Eagles (at that point), the 6-7 Redskins, the 4-10 Cowboys (without Romo), and the 10-5 Jets to beat. We went 2-2 in that stretch....

In 2014 we were 8-6, in control of our own destiny...only having to beat the lowly 2-12 Raiders & the Patriots in week 17 who were going to rest their starters (having once again clinched their spot at 12-3 going) going into their final game. We choked...and lost to the Raiders of course. We finished 9-7, had a stacked roster and a top 3 defense, and all credible outlets said we were 1 player away from being a long-term threat in the AFC...Problem was that player was a QB. Then our HC left, we hired Rex Ryan, and the rest is history.

All I know is that the Bills ALWAYS are "close" to making the playoffs at this point in the season, but something stupid always happens & they choke. Last year the Dolphins ended our hope in OT. Assuming we'll beat them twice is quite a lot for the Bills, so it's hard to imagine them actually doing it.

4 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

not really...i just think that kid can get a passing game going and tt just can't . that is going to cost us at least one game. i also think nate is the only one who can go to the pats and maybe .....

Right--what I said. You don't think TT can get a serious passing game going and I agree. 

But Peterman hasn't shown us anything to give any hope at all, except that he's not Tyrod. 

Given the choice, and it's not a great one, I vote Tyrod. And the moment they are eliminated, give the ball to Peterman to see if he can stop making stupid decisions. Even yesterday he was rushing his throws when he didn't have to. There's quick release and stupid release. He needs to retain the former and lose the later.  

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm just not convinced we'll beat the fish down there. The NE game is a loss so I guess we can all enjoy 8-6 because that will be the high point of the season (If you include 5-2)...

I concede nothing to the Paytoilets. For all you know, Brady could go down in a sniveling heap tonight.

well tyrod playing in ne = 1 loss.  i don't believe he can sweep the fish.=2 losses...= suck and done.

i'm sorry i would rather hedge my bets on the kid and he either gets us in...which i think this offense would benefit from.....or we draft where we would with tyrod's losses anyway.

i get the idea that tt may be our only choice this week and thank God it's at home but he won't win 2 weeks later in miami. we are goi ng to need a passing attack at some point and we know we won't get it from him.

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right.... becuz the fins are so good..... so good, in fact, that earlier in the year you said they would probably beat us with their 2nd stringers in week 17 becuz they would be sitting their starters for the playoffs!:lol:

If the Dolphins beat the Pats tonight (without dirty hit Gronkowski suspended) don't be surprised if they run the table and make the playoffs.

It could happen and I'm petrified of going up against Gase and the Dolphins twice in three weeks after what Hoodie and Todd Bowles did to this team. Gase is a very bright mind and McD still seems in over his head.

Edited by SaviorPeterman

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't expect Clark Griswold to get his Christmas Lights to work.

But he always does.

Always.

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

If the Dolphins beat the Pats tonight (without dirty hit Gronkowski suspended) don't be surprised if they run the table and make the playoffs.

It could happen and I'm petrified of going up against Gase and the Dolphins twice in three weeks after what Hoodie and Todd Bowles did to this team. Gase is a very bright mind and McD still seems in over his head.

Didn’t you used to write for Bleacherreport back in the day? When it was terrible?

...need a PhD to figure it all out.......just win..........

Complex tie-breaker has Bills in playoffs, for now

By Spectrum News Staff  |  December 11, 2017 @1:51 PM

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Despite a worse conference record than the Baltimore Ravens and a head-to-head loss against the San Diego Charges, the Buffalo Bills are currently holding the cards in a 3-way tie for the No. 6 seed in the AFC playoffs.

The Ravens held the sixth seed coming into Sunday, but dropped their Sunday night game to the Pittsburgh Steelers, bringing their record to 7-6. Earlier Sunday, the Bills improved to 7-6 with a frosty 13-7 overtime win over the Indianapolis Colts. Meanwhile, the Chargers also improved to 7-6 with their 30-13 win over the Washington Redskins, the Bolts’ fourth win a row.

With the three teams holding identical records, the Bills get the nod through an obscure, seldom-used tie-breaker called “Strength of Victory” or SOV — the combined records of the teams a squad has defeated throughout a season.

The Bills boast an SOV of .407 which leads the Ravens and Chargers, .378 and .341, respectively.

The tie-breaker negates the Chargers head-to-head victory over the Bills because there are currently three teams tied.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Despite a worse conference record than the Baltimore Ravens and a head-to-head loss against the San Diego Charges, the Buffalo Bills are currently holding the cards in a 3-way tie for the No. 6 seed in the AFC playoffs.

The Ravens held the sixth seed coming into Sunday, but dropped their Sunday night game to the Pittsburgh Steelers, bringing their record to 7-6. Earlier Sunday, the Bills improved to 7-6 with a frosty 13-7 overtime win over the Indianapolis Colts. Meanwhile, the Chargers also improved to 7-6 with their 30-13 win over the Washington Redskins, the Bolts’ fourth win a row.

With the three teams holding identical records, the Bills get the nod through an obscure, seldom-used tie-breaker called “Strength of Victory” or SOV — the combined records of the teams a squad has defeated throughout a season.

The Bills boast an SOV of .407 which leads the Ravens and Chargers, .378 and .341, respectively.

The tie-breaker negates the Chargers head-to-head victory over the Bills because there are currently three teams tied.

Ok, so ESPN was wrong then. That's good to know. Too bad we didn't play the Pats once at the beginning of the season when their defense was garbage & they were playing only average-pretty good overall. Right now, Brady smells playoffs and is hungry again. Even though he already has the record for most SB's won by a QB, getting a 6th is probably more important to him than all the others. The impact that would have on his legacy can't be understated.

Right now, you still have people trying to make arguments for other QB's as the GOAT, but to get freaking SIX wins would make all but the craziest, locked-in-denial haters have to shut up and accept him. To do that all in this in the Free Agency era just blows any counterargument out the window. Getting a win in NE against Brady & this team would be nothing short of a miracle.

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Pretty sure common opponents will kick in once the Ravens play the Colts, so the Bills are only in right this second. 

52 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

well tyrod playing in ne = 1 loss.  i don't believe he can sweep the fish.=2 losses...= suck and done.

i'm sorry i would rather hedge my bets on the kid and he either gets us in...which i think this offense would benefit from.....or we draft where we would with tyrod's losses anyway.

i get the idea that tt may be our only choice this week and thank God it's at home but he won't win 2 weeks later in miami. we are goi ng to need a passing attack at some point and we know we won't get it from him.

Which passing attack is that exactly? The one with a 49% completion rate, 2 TD, 5 INT's, 2 Fumbles, and a QBR of 12.1 on the year?

Tyrod is our only choice moving forward, until it's clear we are mathematically eliminated. Peterman was a mistake to put in, especially when we are neck deep in a playoff race. He clearly wasn't ready, and isn't ready. Tyrod has at least proven to be reliable, limits mistakes, and is elusive in the pocket. He's a known entity.

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

This is the idea I'm struggling with. I can't decide if there's anything to be said for a moral victory in finishing 8-8 or 9-7, yet still missing the playoffs. It might feel good now that we finish with a better record than the previous year, or that we have a winning record, but come draft day I'll be pretty ticked off seeing franchise QB's go to teams other than the Bills because we won some meaningless games down the stretch (unless we can secure a deal with San Fran to move up somehow).

Again, mathematically it's possible we make the playoffs, but we've seen this show before... A lot actually. Even last year we were 7-7 and still in contention, with only the Dolphins & the Jets left. We lost to both...

In 2015 we were 6-6 with 4 very winnable games left and a great shot at a WC spot. We had the 5-7 Eagles (at that point), the 6-7 Redskins, the 4-10 Cowboys (without Romo), and the 10-5 Jets to beat. We went 2-2 in that stretch....

In 2014 we were 8-6, in control of our own destiny...only having to beat the lowly 2-12 Raiders & the Patriots in week 17 who were going to rest their starters (having once again clinched their spot at 12-3 going) going into their final game. We choked...and lost to the Raiders of course. We finished 9-7, had a stacked roster and a top 3 defense, and all credible outlets said we were 1 player away from being a long-term threat in the AFC...Problem was that player was a QB. Then our HC left, we hired Rex Ryan, and the rest is history.

All I know is that the Bills ALWAYS are "close" to making the playoffs at this point in the season, but something stupid always happens & they choke. Last year the Dolphins ended our hope in OT. Assuming we'll beat them twice is quite a lot for the Bills, so it's hard to imagine them actually doing it.

......but not this close at this juncture without needing a PhD in mathematics.......usually it's 38 different permutations & computations, who must lose and who must win, saying THREE Hail Marys nightly and six sets of Rosary beads followed by an extra 20 bucks in the Sunday basket to get the "Big Dawg upstairs" to pull some divine intervention.....oops.....times the square root of your first born's shoe size.....simple............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I still don't think we make the playoffs or even get to 9-7 because sweeping the Fish is a pipe dream.

Won't be surprised if they end our season in spectacular fashion this week to because Gase is a better coach than McD and their defense is also much better across the board.

You have been predicting this great upturn for the Fins since week 4..... it hasn't happened. It won't happen. They are a bad football team. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

If true that’s awesome 

But.  I keep hearing common opponents trumps in ties. 

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If true that’s awesome 

But.  I keep hearing common opponents trumps in ties. 

Once they both play the same 4 teams, yes I believe it does trump ties which is why bills are in right now over the ravens.  If the ravens beat the bengals then I believe they hold the tie breaker for common opponent over us.  We beat the colts so that would be a wash unless they lose to the colts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Let’s Go Bungles 

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Once they both play the same 4 teams, yes I believe it does trump ties which is why bills are in right now over the ravens.  If the ravens beat the bengals then I believe they hold the tie breaker for common opponent over us.  We beat the colts so that would be a wash unless they lose to the colts.

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Let’s Go Bungles 

And Colts.

The implications are nuts.  Basically if the Titans lose there last two games and we get Miami 2 times we are the 6th seed (assuming the Ravens beat the Bengals).  If Ravens lose to the Bengals and Titans lose to the 9ers and Jags, we are the 5th seed.  We can also get the 6th seed as long as the Titan lose to the Jags.  Basically a lot has to happen for us to get the 5th seed and a little has to happen to get the 6th. 

To sum it up I refer to this quote from baseketball.

So, if the Beers beat Detroit and Denver beats Atlanta in the American Southwestern Division East Northern, then Milwaukee goes to the Denslow Cup, unless Baltimore can upset Buffalo and Charlotte ties Toronto, then Oakland would play LA and Pittsburgh in a blind choice round robin. And if no clear winner emerges from all of this, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion can be crowned.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BigDingus said:

After today's dramatic win, I was quite excited. But within a minute or so, I mentally hit a wall. We know what this team is, and we know how this team plays...so looking ahead at the schedule, thinking about the Patriots in week 16, made me remember we're still probably not making the playoffs yet again.

Mathematically we're still in it, but the Ravens edge us out for the 6th seed (although CBS Sports says WE are the 6th seed - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace). In reality, our only real chance at beating the Pats would've been playing them in week 17 & them resting their starters. 

Beating the Dolphins twice is doable, but far from guaranteed. But beating the Patriots in Foxborough isn't happening when they still have a reason to play their starters. 

Contenders for the Wildcard Spot:

1. Ravens (7-6) - They play a cakewalk schedule for their last 3 games. Browns, Cots & Bengals. They could easily finish 10-6. If they go 9-7, we MIGHT win those tiebreakers, but according to most projections at the moment, they're ahead. At 9-7 they'd have a 7-5 conference record, just as we would, so there may be a chance somewhere in there, but I'm not certain. However, given their schedule we need someone to pull off an upset for us to even have a shot.

2. Chargers (7-6) - They play the Chiefs, Jets & Raiders, and will likely beat all of them given how well they're playing. They've gone 7-2 in the last 9 weeks, only losing by 8 to the Pats in Foxborough & losing by 3 to Jaguars in Jacksonville. If they lose a game & go 9-7, they'll have a 6-6 Conference record & we'd have a 7-5 Conference record (assuming we only lose to the Pats). They may outright win the West though and leapfrog us entirely.

3. Chiefs (7-6) - They have the lead in the West right now, but that could quickly flip with the Chargers. They play the Chargers, Dolphins & Broncos. It really depends on what Chiefs team shows up, but assuming they go 2-1 during that stretch, they'd have a 7-5 Conference record (tied with us), and have a loss to us head to head. One of them has to win the division, so I'm not sure which would be better for us, assuming one goes 2-1 & the other goes 3-0 to close out the season. 

4. Titans (8-4) - They play the 49ers, Rams & Jaguars. They currently hold the 5th seed, as the Jags lead the division at 9-4. Their final game of the season against the Jags could be very important for them, and the Rams are a good team this year. There's a chance they go 1-2 during this stretch, finishing 9-7 with a 7-5 Conference record too. If the Ravens win out, this may be our only other shot at getting in based on tie-breakers, but it's still slim.

I'm not even including the Raiders, as even if they win out & go 9-7 they'd still only have a 3-3 division record, and a 6-6 conference record.

Thinking about all that needs to go right in order for the Bills to even have a shot hurts my head. Granted the Bills could just end the conversation before it even happens by scrubbing out against Miami next week (which would be predictable given this team's history), but let's assume we don't. With that said, does anyone HONESTLY feel we're making the playoffs this year? And if not, do you guys feel there's something to be said for going 9-7? Or are you in the "no moral victories" camp, and would rather us not win anymore games? I'm genuinely curious as to how this board feels given where we stand.

Yes we can make the playoffs as long as tyrod stays on the bench. If tyrod plays again we’re out.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

And Colts.

The implications are nuts.  Basically if the Titans lose there last two games and we get Miami 2 times we are the 6th seed (assuming the Ravens beat the Bengals).  If Ravens lose to the Bengals and Titans lose to the 9ers and Jags, we are the 5th seed.  We can also get the 6th seed as long as the Titan lose to the Jags.  Basically a lot has to happen for us to get the 5th seed and a little has to happen to get the 6th. 

I’ve run dozens of scenarios on the playoff machine.  I don’t know if I ever had them as 5 (except a month ago) this week.  

I’m just trying to not get overexcited and avoid a big letdown.  (again) 

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Chargers game was the loss that killed the playoffs. We wouldn't have won that game even if we had Peyton Manning in his prime, no QB can run a offense with 2 sec to pass the football.

Sure pick the game Nate started and ignore the 3 or 4 other piles of ? the other guy gave us.  

FTR It started with the JETS game.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

So wait, on tonight's game they brought up an info graphic of the playoff standings (this was late in the 3rd or early in the 4th), that once again showed the Bills not in 6th seed... Then the announcers talked about the Ravens being in that position, followed by discussing the Bills & the others. Wtf is going on... ESPN's own nationally televised game doesn't have updated info?

Bills Playoffs.jpg

4 hours ago, TuelTime said:

I have Buffalo winning the division at 10-6.

No... no you don't. 

Edited by BigDingus

20 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Ravens are winning out. Browns, Colts, Bengals.

nothing is for certain my son

3 hours ago, TuelTime said:

I have Buffalo winning the division at 10-6.

only a poster with the name tueltime would ever EVER post something of this caliber, bravo

Edited by DollaBills

The 1st WC will most likely be conceded to the Ravens, due to their soft remaining schedule. That won't matter too much, as long as TEN doesn't defeat JAX in week 17 OR win two of their remaining games. ( @SF, vs Rams, vs Jags). The Chiefs are the intriguing team right now. KC won the earlier matchup vs LAC. If they win Saturday, they will hold tiebreak vs Chargers for the division title. That would put the Chargers in the mix for a WC, which if coupled with a 9-7 TEN team would give the Bills the playoff spot on sov tiebreak. This may be the most realistic path. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The 1st WC will most likely be conceded to the Ravens, due to their soft remaining schedule. That won't matter too much, as long as TEN doesn't defeat JAX in week 17 OR win two of their remaining games. ( @SF, vs Rams, vs Jags). The Chiefs are the intriguing team right now. KC won the earlier matchup vs LAC. If they win Saturday, they will hold tiebreak vs Chargers for the division title. That would put the Chargers in the mix for a WC, which if coupled with a 9-7 TEN team would give the Bills the playoff spot on sov tiebreak. This may be the most realistic path. 

So we DO want the Chiefs to win the division is what you're saying? Trying to figure out who would be better wining the West makes my head hurt.