Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

then they would have had an easier time doing so from their own 40.

no-brainer.

The PUNT SAVED 14 yards that is what happened. Well that and hurt the odds to win the football game

Anything else is conjecture and a what if drill

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Exactly. People forget the Colts just came off a 19 play drive resulting in a TD.

14 points were scored the whole game.

People's risk assessment is really screwed.  No way they are going 90 yards.  A kick then wins it for BFLo.  Sure, a kick wins it for Indy.  But, no way they even go 70 yards in that quagmire.  

I hated the call at the time, and said as much, but I can understand why he did it. 

If they were stopped on 4th down Indy wouldn't have had to drive very far to be able to attempt a field goal, and at that point a FG wins the game for Indy without giving Buffalo's offense a chance to touch the ball again.

McDermott obviously figured that punting gave the Bills offense a better chance a getting the ball back. 

And he was right. You can call it luck if you want, and there probably was some luck involved (which can be said about anything, really), but he was still right the way I see it. 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

People's risk assessment is really screwed.  No way they are going 90 yards.  A kick then wins it for BFLo.  Sure, a kick wins it for Indy.  But, no way they even go 70 yards in that quagmire.  

That's not even the point. The point is the Bills had to win, not tie. If they get two first downs we are out of the playoffs. Plus we can't kick like in normal conditions. And we only gained 14 yards on the exchange. And McD wasted 15 seconds AND a timeout. 

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They didn't need to go 90 yards. They needed 2 first downs and the Bills season would have been over. 

If Brissett hits Hilton who is wide open, the Bills would have all been eliminated from the playoffs today.

That's literally how close they were from being eliminated

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

I hated the call at the time, and said as much, but I can understand why he did it. 

If they were stopped on 4th down Indy wouldn't have had to drive very far to be able to attempt a field goal, and at that point a FG wins the game for Indy without giving Buffalo's offense a chance to touch the ball again.

McDermott obviously figured that punting gave the Bills offense a better chance a getting the ball back. 

And he was right. You can call it luck if you want, and there probably was some luck involved (which can be said about anything, really), but he was still right the way I see it. 

So was Marrone right for Punting in Oakland?

Rex in Miami ?

Just now, billsfan11 said:

They didn't need to go 90 yards. They needed 2 first downs and the Bills season would have been over. 

If Brissett hits Hilton who is wide open, the Bills would have all been eliminated from the playoffs today.

That's literally how close they were from being eliminated

DING DING DING 

Just now, joesixpack said:

You literally can NOT compare the three.

Today was something completely outside the norm of an NFL game.

How so?

did the Bills move the ball?

what was their running numbers when everyone knows they are running? 

No different your season is on the line and you have the Ball 4th in short in the OPP side and you punt. 

Bills have done it now 3 times in 4 years and their season ended 2 of the 3 times with that decision

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

How so?

did the Bills move the ball?

what was their running numbers when everyone knows they are running? 

No different your season is on the line and you have the Ball 4th in short in the OPP side and you punt. 

Bills have done it now 3 times in 4 years and their season ended 2 of the 3 times with that decision

Intentional Obtuseness, 15 yard penalty. Automatic first down.

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was the right call.

The punt pinned them back.  Gives the Colts the second possession.  It enables the Bills to win on kick.

A TD would only win it if they went for it.

The weather too.

He made the right assessment.  The OP is out of their mind.  No need to play high risk, high reward.

If that is the line of thought, then why do the  Bills choose to receive the ball first in overtime?

Shouldn't they have kicked and played defense with the intent to kick a field goal once they force the change of possession?

McDermott has some Jauron genes in him.   .

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's not even the point. The point is the Bills had to win, not tie. If they get two first downs we are out of the playoffs. Plus we can't kick like in normal conditions. And we only gained 14 yards on the exchange. And McD wasted 15 seconds AND a timeout. 

We are out of playoffs anyway... You think we will win 2/2, beat the Cheats in their house and get luck from other teams? 

The best option to win THIS game was to punt.

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

If that is the line of thought, then why do the  Bills choose to receive the ball first in overtime?

Shouldn't they have kicked and played defense with the intent to kick a field goal once they force the change of possession?

McDermott has some Jauron genes in him.   .

They opted for receiving because weather.

Play "Chuck Knox Ball"... Punting pins back.  Game was gonna go deep into OT was the thinking.

Best odds to win game.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Somebody is going to get in with help. Might as well be us.

Sure!  They have a 5% chance of beating the Cheats.

Just now, dubs said:

The only thing that matters is that they won. So McDermott was correct. Any other assessment is completely wrong because we know the result. 

It’s pretty simple folks. 

How do you know they wouldn't have won if they went for it?

Simple, they go for it. Odds are bad they ppound it through.  Better odds punting deep.  Worrying about tie, not an issue.  You worry about game being played first.

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

How do you know they wouldn't have won if they went for it?

Because they would have to have had a TD... And that was 1/2 a snow covered field away.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Simple, they go for it. Odds are bad they ppound it through.  Better odds punting deep.  Worrying about tie, not an issue.  You worry about game being played first.

Because they would have to have had a TD... And that was 1/2 a snow covered field away.

No they would have most likely only needed another 20 yards and a field goal pretty much would have won the game.

That to me has a 10 times better chance to Win opposing to stopping the Colts and going roughly 50 yards with a 3rd string QB... I really don't get how people disagree with that.

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think you are dead wrong on your odds assessment.   And it's not even close.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fair enough.  But, only odds assessment for this game pertains.  Field position is critical... Tie?  So be it.

Season is on the line.  tie is unacceptable..   Just like when Rex punted last year.    Gutless and knuckleheaded Dick Jauronism.

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Season is on the line.  tie is unacceptable..   Just like when Rex punted last year.    Gutless and knuckleheaded Dick Jauronism.

At the time I thought they should have went for it as well. But then the Bills won the game and McDermott ended up being right. So, I had to say, “I was wrong”. 

Try it, it’s easy to say and makes you look humble and reasonable, “I was wrong, McDermott was correct”. Ahhhhh....feels good. 

1 minute ago, dubs said:

At the time I thought they should have went for it as well. But then the Bills won the game and McDermott ended up being right. So, I had to say, “I was wrong”. 

Try it, it’s easy to say and makes you look humble and reasonable, “I was wrong, McDermott was correct”. Ahhhhh....feels good. 

You are assuming, like some others, that the Bills don't win if they go for it.   You don't know that.

7 minutes ago, dubs said:

The Bills won and it ended up being the right call.  It’s not even debatable. 

It’s not the right call. It was never the right call. It’s not debatable. Rex had a call like this last year in OT using the same field position logic. We never got the ball back, lost that game and he was rightfully criticized for it.

Go to a busy intersection and cross the street without looking. If you don’t get hit by a car does that make your decision right?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, joesixpack said:

And you don't know if they  win if they do.

See how that works?

Correct.

Could be it was the right call to win the game.   Could be it didn't matter no matter which way he called it.

Still doesn't change the fact that it was the lower odds much higher risk decision.   If people think that is the smart decision there, so be it.   Logic says it isn't.

But I get it, some people are more emotional than logical.

Just now, PolishDave said:

Correct.

Could be it was the right call to win the game.   Could be it didn't matter no matter which way he called it.

Still doesn't change the fact that it was the lower odds much higher risk decision.   If people think that is the smart decision there, so be it.   Logic says it isn't.

But I get it, some people are more emotional than logical.

You mean like people who want McDermott canned for that decision after less than one year as coach?

yep.

I think this thread is effective if they lost the game. You can say it was a bad call. I didn't agree with the punt. This is a thread you make if the Bills lose.

I see people always say that it's always about the W. I honestly don't care what call the coaches make if it ends up in a W. Go for it or punt in it I don't care just make the calls to win.

I would agree that I would of liked to see them go for it. The game ended with a W.

Edited by Lfod