Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

5 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I can’t believe people are defending the call. If deonte doesn’t make a miraculous catch, that game is a tie and we are out of the playoffs today. 

There were a lot of runs for little gain or stopped in the backfield. Crappy conditions where nobody is getting traction with the defense stacking the box. 4th and 1 is not an easy conversion with the game on the line. I wanted him to go for it but understood what he was doing when he punted. 

2 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

It was the right call and it worked out exactly how he planned it. That's why you all are on the couch and McD is on the sidelines. 

Saying it was the right call does not make it so.  Can you justify your position other than to say "it worked since we won"?  I can justify why this was a poor choice:

1)  Field conditions make punting risky

2)  Last Indy offensive possession demonstrated our defense was tiring

3)  We will execute a short punt to pin them inside the 10.  IF they punt, they will get a full kick thus giving us a longer field with less time.

4)  If he believes his team will win, he believes they can earn one yard, not put them on a field needing probably 30, or more to even get into field goal range.

If McD expects his players to trust the process, that requires him to trust in them too.  Any success we have will not be solely his doing.  He needs to create a culture where he puts faith in his men and shows that he expects them to convert in situations like that. 

Today I found that punt choice rather arrogant on his part.  Instead of letting them win, it highlights HIS choice (good, or bad).  The risk of losing the team by almost literally punting away the season, is not undone by a miracle catch by Thompson and a great finishing run by McCoy.  There is NO WAY McDermott had those plays in the back of his mind when he chose to punt.

I'm not saying he cannot make this team successful, but he needs to be careful not to sabotage himself by trying to prove how smart he is.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Maybe gutless but it all worked out.  If they went for it on 4th, didn't get it, and lost everyone would have been screaming for a punt.

That's not true at all. No one in their right mind would say they should have punted there.

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

It “worked out” despite the call.  It took a miracle bomb on 3rd down to bail him out.  

So there was no chance the Bills kept running the ball to get in field goal range? You have no idea if the Bills would have won or not if not for that pass. There was also a flag for PI on that play too I believe. 

1 minute ago, BillsfanAZ said:

There were a lot of runs for little gain or stopped in the backfield. Crappy conditions where nobody is getting traction with the defense stacking the box. 4th and 1 is not an easy conversion with the game on the line. I wanted him to go for it but understood what he was doing when he punted. 

Youre doing an okay job defending it, but even in hindsight, it was as bad of a call that I have ever seen. 4 minutes left. If we hadn’t gotten a quick spot or the colts had a better punt, we would have never had a chance to score. 

4 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

It was a bad call and really lowered their probability of winning.  They still won though despite it.  All it took was two 30+ yards playd

I am not supporting the call. However, "lowered the probability?" I will assume you have some actual data versus hyperbole being pulled out of your arse.

Edited by aceman_16