Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

Just now, KD in CA said:

Obviously they were planning for where they would get the ball back for the next possession, which is quite a bit different if the Colts are punting from the 10 or the 41.   He thought there was enough time left to play for field position for a final drive and he was right.   Any chance to win ends if they don't convert the 4th and 1, which was a dicey proposition in the snow.

Tell me why that ends the game?

1 minute ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Why cant you understand that the Colts plays on their own 10 play more conservative than playing at their own 40? Gore had almost as many yards as Shady. 

Uh what? You just said a couple runs and they’d be in field goal range, now you are saying they wouldn’t have done that from the 41?

3 minutes ago, QCity said:

Considering the weather, I don't think that call was as egregious as some are making it out to be. The decision to let Webb throw the ball with only a minute left was far worse.

Agreed, but that doesn't excuse that call.  It's still baffling to me what McDermott was thinking there.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 minute ago, QCity said:

Considering the weather, I don't think that call was as egregious as some are making it out to be. The decision to let Webb throw the ball with only a minute left was far worse.

Gotta understand - No matter what, there will be those who will never agree with what this guy or regime does.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a dumb call when you lose or it doesn't work out. Those are the rules. It worked out so good call to play it safe. I wanted to go for it but there was no guarantee either.

Edited by Lfod

7 minutes ago, Knicks&Bills said:

I don’t understand this thread. I didn’t like the call at the time, but it proved to be right call. 

Certain "fans" don't care as much about the Bills winning games because they are more invested in looking for things to be angry about and then spam-posting trying justify why they are right.

Edited by KD in CA

Just now, KD in CA said:

Certain "fans" don't care as much about the Bills winning games because they are more invested in looking for things to be angry about and then spam-posting to justify why they are right.

Whats the difference between McD choice to punt today and Rex choice to Punt against Mia?

Just now, inaugural balls said:

Rex? 

stay on topic

Answer was it the right call????  

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Certain "fans" don't care as much about the Bills winning games because they are more invested in looking for things to be angry about and then spam-posting to justify why they are right.

Again, no one in this thread is upset that the Bills won. And when the Bills win that doesn’t mean you can’t be critical of a decision.

Does that mean McDermott was correct in letting Webb throw at their own 25? I mean they did win in the end, so it must be.

This is such a Promo response.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Whats the difference between McD choice to punt today and Rex choice to Punt against Mia?

And right on cue, look who responses within seconds!   :lol:

Don't worry MajBooby, I'm sure they'll lose again soon enough and you'll be free to piss and moan nonstop.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

No, that's not it. We want a coach who gives the team the best chance to win. We want a coach here for ten+ years, playoff runs, etc. A coach who gets it.

So far, McD does not get it. 

I love that the Bills won. I really do. But I hate that we won only in spite of our coach's horrible decision making. We got lucky. Woo hoo!

Just now, inaugural balls said:

I can't think straight when you're yelling like this

Was Rex decision to punt against MIA last year when season was on the line the right call. It is really a simple yes or no. 

Your the one attacking fans because we question a decision of our coach. So just showing your hypocrisy is all

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

It was a terrible call. But I don't think you can compare it to any other game because of several factors. Obviously the extreme conditions. But on your third QB who is not even a QB. The fact it is in OT and this late in season when a tie equals a loss, etc. All those additional factors made it a worse call than it would have been in normal conditions. 

Just now, Watkins90 said:

I didn’t like the call, but I’m not going to kill the guy for it since it worked out.

That's how I feel. I didn't like it either but it worked out. There was no guarantee we get the first down if we went for it.

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

No, that's not it. We want a coach who gives the team the best chance to win. We want a coach here for ten+ years, playoff runs, etc. A coach who gets it.

So far, McD does not get it. 

I love that the Bills won. I really do. But I hate that we won only in spite of our coach's horrible decision making. We got lucky. Woo hoo!

I think what he has done with this team has been pretty damn impressive. I mean, we have very little talent and are still in the Wild Card Hunt.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Outcome doesnt matter. 

It is the call. Right or wrong if you agree with McD here you also agree with Rex right?

I didn't agree with it. I just how see how going for it could of resulted in a stop. It can always be a good or bad call depending on outcome. 

Going for it looks like a bad call if it end up in a loss.

Edited by Lfod

A controversial decision that ultimately worked out has the indignant masses in a state of frenzy. He made a decision to punt that I disagreed with. It was a very conservative decision but in the end it proved to be the right call, or at least it didn't hurt us. What's there to complain about?

As far as strategy or time management this is a game in which the conditions were so severe that being inclined to take a conservative approach was very understandable. Even if you disagreed with the wrestling coach's conservativeness in this particular game it made sense because the field was so treacherous. 

A win is a win. I'll take it and not complain about it. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Was Rex decision to punt against MIA last year when season was on the line the right call. It is really a simple yes or no. 

Your the one attacking fans because we question a decision of our coach. So just showing your hypocrisy is all

No its not remotely similiar. Two completely different offenses. One on its third string shaky qb, defenses different, different weather conditions, and different flow of game. This is so terrible of an example I cant think of one worse than this to say they are similiar.

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

That's how I feel. I didn't like it either but it worked out. There was no guarantee we get the first down if we went for it.

OMG this is insane.

It doesn't matter if they get the first down. There are no guarantees, right? But you have a better EV when you do go for it there. A better chance to win the game. The vast majority of the time, what do you think happens there when we punt?

The Colts run out the clock. And we tie.

McD played not to lose, and because of the horrible decision to punt and call a TO there, he almost cost the team any chance of the playoffs this year. 

That's what we're angry about. That we have a stupid coach. 

We're not angry that we won. Or that we lucked out even though he made a bad decision. 

Just now, Lfod said:

I didn't agree with it. I just how see how going for it could of resulted in a stop. It can always be a good or bad call depending on outcome. 

But his thing was i trusted my defense to get the ball back. 

Well when you trust them that trust doesnt go enough to say i trust them to get me the ball back if i am stopped here?

1 minute ago, Bill_with_it said:

No its not remotely similiar. Two completely different offenses. One on its third string shaky qb, defenses different, different weather conditions, and different flow of game. This is so terrible of an example I cant think of one worse than this to say they are similiar.

Got it Rex is wrong McD is right because you like him

Punting was the right decision because the snow was giving the punters an advantage. They knew if their punt didn't go out of bounds it would probably stop dead in the snow in the field of play and not go into the end zone. So extending the game time and betting on either...1) the defense to get you the ball back close to the same spot with enough time to do something...or 2) a desperate Colts team turning it over close in their territory...were just simply better odds than going for it on that 50-50 chance 4th and 1 play.

The weather had a big impact on that decision and McDermott clearly made the right call. See scoreboard.

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

And right on cue, look who responses within seconds!   :lol:

Don't worry MajBooby, I'm sure they'll lose again soon enough and you'll be free to piss and moan nonstop.

And right on cue peolle thinking because we won (which i am happy about) mean we shouldnt point out bad plays and or decisions. 

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Going for it looks like a bad call if it end up in a loss.

No it doesn't! No decision works 100% of the time! You're being results oriented, and that's a bad thing. It's like if you decided to put all your net worth on this week's powerball tickets. But you win!

So it must've been the right decision, right???

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

But his thing was i trusted my defense to get the ball back. 

Well when you trust them that trust doesnt go enough to say i trust them to get me the ball back if i am stopped here?

Got it Rex is wrong McD is right because you like him

Nope you are wrong to remotely call the situations similiar. The only aimiliarity was it was 4 th down and the Bills had the Ball. LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE WAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. You truly have no clue about football.

2 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

Punting was the right decision because the snow was giving the punters an advantage. They knew if their punt didn't go out of bounds it would probably stop dead in the snow in the field of play and not go into the end zone. So extending the game time and betting on either...1) the defense to get you the ball back close to the same spot with enough time to do something...or 2) a desperate Colts team turning it over close in their territory...were just simply better odds than going for it on that 50-50 chance 4th and 1 play.

The weather had a big impact on that decision and McDermott clearly made the right call. See scoreboard.

And the Math doesnt support any of that. 

Just now, Bill_with_it said:

Nope you are wrong to remotely call the situations similiar. The only aimiliarity was it was 4 th down and the Bills had the Ball. LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE WAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. You truly have no clue about football.

Yeah yeah i have no clue. How many tables did you smash today meathead?