Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

Just now, BillsfanAZ said:

I have already said that the Bills were punting decently all game and chances were low that the Colts would go the whole field on run plays. With the field conditions there is lower probability they convert a 4th and 1 when the Colts would have basically used a goalline formation. Just because it wasnt what you or I would have done, doesnt make him wrong. 

Quick, what’s the probability of Shady running for a TD on 3rd and 4 with 10 guys in the box? What’s the probability of Joe Webb completing a 50 yard pass?

You think the probability of them coverting a 4th and 1 is low because they might be in goaline formation? And how is that any different from any other 4th and short?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There was actually two crap decisions from the coach Back to BACK. 

First was the TO before the Punt 

then the Punt itself 

To be completely honest there were 3.

Decision to punt.

Time out before punting making everyone think he had come to his senses.

Punting the ball.

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Before the Colts last drive in the 4th Quarter, they were basically held in check all day.

Had no problems with the call to punt.  Different defense that last year in the Miami game.  I had faith they would get the ball back. 

And that faith would not have been there if stuffed on 4th and 1. See how stupid that justification is????

5 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I think if you google bills vs colts and look at the summary tab there is the chart.  And I am going to be honest with you, it probably is not a very exact science lol.*  But the second half of my post explaining the logic is where its at. 

I doubt it takes into the weather conditions.  But that would only prove my point more.  Driving 60 70 yards in the snow is much less likely than converting a 4th and one and moving the ball 10 yards

I did not agree with it at the time either. I was just curious if someone had posted weathered adjusted probabilities to quote.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....only in Bflo could a beotchfest break out in a mind boggling "W" with weather Tasker said was, "the worst I've seen at a Buffalo game in 30 years"....go figure....Jesus...              

Yeah because cant talk a out a horrible decision because they won 

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It was a horrible call, but it worked. So in that situation it's tough to blame him. There will never be another situation like this with all the variables to compare it to. 

That’s pretty much it to me in a nutshell.

I was yelling at the television but it ended up working.

It was the strangest game I’ve ever witnessed in my 45 years of rooting for the Bills. 

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

What are you talking about? He said he trusted his defense to get the ball back, that’s why he punted. Why didn’t he trust them and go for it on 4th knowing they could get the ball back? 

Let me ask you this, what do you think Chuck Pagano wanted McDermott to do?

Turning the ball over on downs closer to the 40, the Colts are calling plays differently than deep in their own end. If they stuffed the Bills they just needed a couple good runs to get into possible field goal range. 

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....only in Bflo could a beotchfest break out in a mind boggling "W" with weather Tasker said was, "the worst I've seen at a Buffalo game in 30 years"....go figure....Jesus...              

"Best fans in the NFL!"   :lol:

Can you image how upset some of them would be if the Bills did make the playoffs?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, aceman_16 said:

I did not agree with it at the time either. I was just curious if someone had posted weathered adjusted probabilities to quote.

I think their probability just tracks what the win outcome of teams are based on past nfl results.  It wouldn't factor in stuff like weather, though with enough of a sample you don't have to.

11 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

This is what I dont get. Is it what I would have done? No. I would have gone for it. If the Colts would have stuffed the Bills and been able to make a few runs to kick a field goal then people on here would say that was the wrong decision. Either way he goes he is facing criticism. For fans to sit here and say it is the wrong decision makes no sense. You can have an opinion but I bet there are a lot of coaches that would have done the same thing. 

Win probability says it is the wrong move...which it definitely was.

5 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Before the Colts last drive in the 4th Quarter, they were basically held in check all day.

Had no problems with the call to punt.  Different defense that last year in the Miami game.  I had faith they would get the ball back. 

Then why couldn’t they hold them in check from the 41?!?

if you trust your defense to get the ball back, you go for it! There’s no reason not to.

7 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Just cause they won doesn't make it the right decision. You ever play poker?

Its like saying, "I made the right decision by going all in with 2, 7 off suit vs pocket aces because I won". 

You got to play the odds. There will obviously be times where the underdog odds are going to workout, but doesn't mean it's correct

I am a poker player. that's called being results oriented. And it's one of the first things you learn not to be if you take the game seriously.  

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I don't see any signs of a bitchfest. Some decent discussion which is what we come here for. 

For yourself...go check your "get off my lawn!" sign.

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

That’s pretty much it to me in a nutshell.

I was yelling at the television but it ended up working.

It was the strangest game I’ve ever witnessed in my 45 years of rooting for the Bills. 

Same, Same and Same. 

The 5 minute delayed penalty for PI on that 2pt conversion is still mind boggling to me.