Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

Just now, Bill_with_it said:

None. Im sitting comfortably at my home thousands of miles away preparing myself for what awaits me at work tomorrow. Alas keep toying with namecalling. Maybe thats your calling, football definitely isnt.

Ahhh someone upset he got called a meathead. Can dish it not take it 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And if we went for it on 4th down Odds are you win the game more than if you punt. Those are varified scientific facts. That Odds are better to win the game going for it on 4th and 1 than they are punting. 

Not some mytical momentum of the game stuff 

Can you ahow me where those odds include one if the worst winter storm played football games in the modern era, on a third qb, with your number one wr out, working on a script of plays that is like 5/6? Oh you cant.....Thats a verified fact. Its not the same not even close no matter how loud, obnoxious, and childish you act.

• Thank you (+1) 1

he played it by the book, did not consider the conditions.  turns out the book was right.  I would have gone for it on 4th and 1, since it was so hard to stop the run, but whatever, its a W.  I still can't figure out why the Colt's 2 pt conversion didn't count.   WR picks are ok inside of 5 yards , right?   all in all , Bills stole one there.  take it and run. 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And if we went for it on 4th down Odds are you win the game more than if you punt. Those are varified scientific facts. That Odds are better to win the game going for it on 4th and 1 than they are punting. 

Forget about odds. I agree that I would have preferred that went for it, however had he did go it, there’s a chance we lose the game. While what he did was risky, it WON US THE GAME

Just now, Bill_with_it said:

Can you ahow me where those odds include one if the worst winter storm played football games in the modern era, on a third qb, with your number one wr out, working on a script of plays that is like 5/6? Oh you cant.....Thats a verified fact. Its not the same not even close no matter how loud, obnoxious, and childish you act.

How many yards did Shady and Bills have running in these aparantly horrible conditions. 

And did the Bills need a play from that third string QB after said Punt?

1 hour ago, familykwi said:

I'm mostly glad you at least gave an explanation other than blind faith, or to simply say it worked, so it was right.

They had executed the punts well up to that point, so that was the weakest of my points to be sure.  A bad snap there though and the colts are likely in Bills territory to start a drive.

Personally, I think the Colts choice to throw the ball was also pretty dumb, especially given the outcome of the last drive and having two time outs and no need to score a TD.

Like I said, I really hope McDermott works out.  Truth be told I was more excited about his hiring than Marv Levy back in the day and that worked out better than I expected, so I'll reserve judgement. 

The thing that worries me is what I fell is arrogance in his decision making.  I'm not in the locker room, so I don't know exactly how committed these players are to him.  If they are all in, then great and if you make a questionable call, they have your back.  If not, those decisions are going to become more and more difficult to defend until you've lost the room.

Just sayin'

I don't know how the players will think of the call or how much faith they have in the coach either hence the reason I wouldn't call it "gutless". For every offensive player that felt he didn't trust them to make a play there is a defensive player who wanted to make a play  after the punt. (Which Tre  White almost did) I could argue it took guts to kick it and that it wasn't the conservative decision, but the risky one. It takes big balls to kick it in that situation and hope the defense makes a play. I'd say there was a 30% chance of gaining a yard by the run when a 4th and 1 situation with our O line,  the conditions and when they know the run is coming and you can't let Webb throw it in that situation. And if they called a run up the middle and got stuffed there would be 8 Dennison sucks threads. 

I personally think it was the right decision at the time. I'm not sure I would have trusted the team to get a yard ( and I think it was a touch more) in that situation either. There will certainly be times in the future when he goes for it on fourth down and he will get skewered for it too. Comes with the job I guess. And I guess it doesn't matter if the decision made turns into a win. 

1 minute ago, Knicks&Bills said:

Forget about odds. I agree that I would have preferred that went for it, however had he did go it, there’s a chance we lose the game. While what he did was risky, it WON US THE GAME

Odds are we lose or tie more by punting than going for it just for the record though. 

So more chances we dont win with the Punt

Mike Schopp laying into a caller just now on the post game show; listen for it in the audio vault if you are interested.

Caller started by saying "What do you know about football?" and was arguing in support of the punt based on his "reading of the defense."

Schopp then slammed him and concisely summed up the argument for not punting...

Very entertaining.

Well from what I am seeing the right call or less risky call would be to go for it because the numbers favor that.

So in reality punting it is the more risky call because numbers. So in reality it was a gutsy call because he played the more dangerous odds by punting?

Edited by Lfod

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This could possibly be the first time this exact situation had ever occurred in the history of the NFL. So the odds of Punting is a verified scientific 100% success rate. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

So now you're changing your argument? 

I've maintained that odds of winning were pretty equal considering the field conditions. 

No people want to talk conditions about justification for the punt. 

So i ask what was shady and bills rushing yards in those conditions 

they lost 5% on chance to win on the punt 

Just now, Bills Pimpin' said:

This could possibly be the first time this exact situation had ever occurred in the history of the NFL. So the odds of Punting is a verified scientific 100% success rate. 

Got it so was Rex Right in Punting in MIA

marrone in Oakland

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:sick:

It seems comparable but to me it's not. In normal circumstances, with your regular QB, and ability to kick FGs you could easily argue to count on your defense to stop them. In this game, with the conditions, Joe Webb, and inability to kick, combined with a tie is as good as a loss, made it a completely different and easy decision to go for it.