Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

Simple, they go for it. Odds are bad they ppound it through.  Better odds punting deep.  Worrying about tie, not an issue.  You worry about game being played first.

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

How do you know they wouldn't have won if they went for it?

Because they would have to have had a TD... And that was 1/2 a snow covered field away.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Simple, they go for it. Odds are bad they ppound it through.  Better odds punting deep.  Worrying about tie, not an issue.  You worry about game being played first.

Because they would have to have had a TD... And that was 1/2 a snow covered field away.

No they would have most likely only needed another 20 yards and a field goal pretty much would have won the game.

That to me has a 10 times better chance to Win opposing to stopping the Colts and going roughly 50 yards with a 3rd string QB... I really don't get how people disagree with that.

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think you are dead wrong on your odds assessment.   And it's not even close.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fair enough.  But, only odds assessment for this game pertains.  Field position is critical... Tie?  So be it.

Season is on the line.  tie is unacceptable..   Just like when Rex punted last year.    Gutless and knuckleheaded Dick Jauronism.

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Season is on the line.  tie is unacceptable..   Just like when Rex punted last year.    Gutless and knuckleheaded Dick Jauronism.

At the time I thought they should have went for it as well. But then the Bills won the game and McDermott ended up being right. So, I had to say, “I was wrong”. 

Try it, it’s easy to say and makes you look humble and reasonable, “I was wrong, McDermott was correct”. Ahhhhh....feels good. 

1 minute ago, dubs said:

At the time I thought they should have went for it as well. But then the Bills won the game and McDermott ended up being right. So, I had to say, “I was wrong”. 

Try it, it’s easy to say and makes you look humble and reasonable, “I was wrong, McDermott was correct”. Ahhhhh....feels good. 

You are assuming, like some others, that the Bills don't win if they go for it.   You don't know that.

7 minutes ago, dubs said:

The Bills won and it ended up being the right call.  It’s not even debatable. 

It’s not the right call. It was never the right call. It’s not debatable. Rex had a call like this last year in OT using the same field position logic. We never got the ball back, lost that game and he was rightfully criticized for it.

Go to a busy intersection and cross the street without looking. If you don’t get hit by a car does that make your decision right?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, joesixpack said:

And you don't know if they  win if they do.

See how that works?

Correct.

Could be it was the right call to win the game.   Could be it didn't matter no matter which way he called it.

Still doesn't change the fact that it was the lower odds much higher risk decision.   If people think that is the smart decision there, so be it.   Logic says it isn't.

But I get it, some people are more emotional than logical.

Just now, PolishDave said:

Correct.

Could be it was the right call to win the game.   Could be it didn't matter no matter which way he called it.

Still doesn't change the fact that it was the lower odds much higher risk decision.   If people think that is the smart decision there, so be it.   Logic says it isn't.

But I get it, some people are more emotional than logical.

You mean like people who want McDermott canned for that decision after less than one year as coach?

yep.

I think this thread is effective if they lost the game. You can say it was a bad call. I didn't agree with the punt. This is a thread you make if the Bills lose.

I see people always say that it's always about the W. I honestly don't care what call the coaches make if it ends up in a W. Go for it or punt in it I don't care just make the calls to win.

I would agree that I would of liked to see them go for it. The game ended with a W.

Edited by Lfod