Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Put it this way. I strongly disagree with the decision to punt. And that has nothing to do with the odds ESPN had or whatever.

If you agree with it then that's your opinion and fair enough.

But don't say it was the correct decision just because they won the game..

Harder to say it was an incorrect decision when they win the game. I wanted them to punt too but would not advocate that hard for it after a win. Yes I think the outcome should factor in on the judgement of calls a coach makes.

Edited by Lfod

7 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

McD bet that they couldn't. Why is that so hard to understand? IT PLAYED OUT EXACTLY HOW THE COACH THOUGHT IT WOULD WHEN HE PUNTED THE FOOTBALL. THEREFORE HE WAS RIGHT. 

How is that so hard to understand? The Bills won the football game. Do you know that? It was like the coach was nostra!@#$ingdomas. It was like he had a crystal ball. He made the PERFECT decision for this particular game with this particular team. Is that even arguable?

No it wasn't. Just because it worked doesn't mean it was the best call at the time. We needed a miracle to happen in that Webb pass instead of just giving the dam ball to the best player on the field. Stupid, Stupid, decision.

Edited by Rocbillsfan1

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Put it this way. I strongly disagree with the decision to punt. And that has nothing to do with the odds ESPN had or whatever.

If you agree with it then that's your opinion and fair enough.

But don't say it was the correct decision just because they won the game..

It is the correct decision because they won the game. If they go for it and get stuffed and Indy kicks a field goal it's the wrong decision. 

2 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

No he wasn't bro just because it worked doesn't mean it was the best call at the time. We needed a miracle to happen in that Webb pass instead of just giving the dam ball to the best player on the field. Stupid, Stupid, decision.

Wrong bro. If he makes a decision based on what he thinks will happen and those things do indeed happen then it's the right decision.

2 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

It is the correct decision because they won the game. If they go for it and get stuffed and Indy kicks a field goal it's the wrong decision. 

It has nothing to do with Indy kicking a field goal or winning. The bigger worry was a tie and time running out.

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

Harder to say it was an incorrect decision when they win the game. I wanted them to punt too but would not advocate that hard for it after a win. Yes I think the outcome should factor in on the judgement of calls a coach makes.

I don't. I think they got very very lucky on multiple plays. 

Getting one yard on 4th and 1 and then picking up another first down to set yourself up in field goal range seems a lot more realistic with less factors involved to win. Opposed to you know,.. stopping the other team and then completing a hail Mary with your 3rd string quarterback to 4th receiver in a massive Snow storm...

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They couldn't kick more than a 35 yard FG. That means going to the 18 or so.  They wouldn't have had a chance to clear the field like the Colts did. 

Your arguments are so filled with ifs and buts it's almost laughable.

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

It has nothing to do with Indy kicking a field goal or winning. The bigger worry was a tie and time running out.

The time didn't run out. It wasn't a tie. 

9 minutes ago, dubs said:

Like I said, I was blown away at the punt decision too. But I was wrong. 

As I thought about it after the game, I started to understand why the decision was made and it makes sense to me. But either way it didn’t seem like an obvious decision as many are making it out to be. It was a crap position either way. 

The idea was that there was a better chance pinning the Colts and trying to get a short field as the game was winding down. Other than the one drive, the Colts did pretty much nothing. 

On the the flip side, of the Bills don’t get the first and even if the Colts go 3 and out, the field would be too long for the offense there. 

Tough call, the decision made worked, so it was the correct one, IMO. 

Exactly!  The best call was to punt and let the process play out!  Even if it was winding down too dangerously close to a tie!

Old school field position game.  The young bulls on the board dont realize this... They want it all now, play high risk, high reward.  McD played win-lose... Not high risk... That leads to lose-lose more often.

If they fail to convert, game over, season over.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Getting one yard on 4th and 1 and then picking up another first down to set yourself up in field goal range seems a lot more realistic with less factors involved to win. Opposed to you know,.. stopping the other team and then completing a hail Mary with your 3rd string quarterback to 4th receiver in a massive Snow storm...

There was also a defensive PI on that play so...even if he doesn’t catch it, same result. 

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

They had to score a touchdown dude. Do you not know the rules?

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was the right call.

The punt pinned them back.  Gives the Colts the second possession.  It enables the Bills to win on kick.

A TD would only win it if they went for it.

The weather too.

He made the right assessment.  The OP is out of their mind.  No need to play high risk, high reward.

Do you understand that there was only 4 minutes left in the game - in the season - and that they were effectively giving up a huge chunk of win equity?

Does that get through to you at all?

Just now, Domdab99 said:

Do you understand that there was only 4 minutes left in the game - in the season - and that they were effectively giving up a huge chunk of win equity?

What % of “win equity” were they giving up and how did you calculate that “equity”?

Just now, Domdab99 said:

Chill no need to panic.

They miss that conversion, game over.  Field position would win game.  That was a first call to punt.

1 minute ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

They had to score a touchdown dude. Do you not know the rules?

I'm well aware of the rules bud. You were so confident the defence was going to stop them after the punt, so if the bills got a field goal in that situation, I'm sure you would agree it would be almost impossible for the Colts to get 3 points back... Right?

1 minute ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

I know genius, but the ifs on punting the ball are now known and it led to a victory. How can that be a wrong decision?

Because if you make the same decision 10 times it's wrong 7-8 of them. If you hit on 18 and win it was a bad decision even though you won that hand. 

• Thank you (+1) 1