Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

Calls like that are one of the reasons we are in a drought.  On 4th & 1 from their 41 with that little time left to play in sudden death OT and hopes of the playoffs hanging in the balance against a team that is not going to the postseason and you decide to punt after letting however many seconds run off the clock?  That is straight up, poo-eating stupid.  You call a timeout right after the 3rd down play is over, call your offense to the sidelines, and tell them "This is the play we want to run to pick up the first down.  If you don't make it, our season is over and I'll junk punt every single one of you in the locker room.  Now, go get that first down!"  That's how you do it, not play like a turtle.

24 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No it didnt. 

Um yeah it did. Now I’ll be the first to admit i want him to go for it in that position, but the call at that particular moment helped us win the football game. Now you’re entitled to call it luck, but what he did helped us win the game. That’s a fact, it’s not an opinion 

Just now, Knicks&Bills said:

Um yeah it did. Now I’ll be the first to admit i want him to go for it in that position, but the call at that particular moment helped us win the football game. Now you’re entitled to call it luck, but what he did helped us win the game. That’s a fact, it’s not an opinion 

Fact is what the Math said. Everything else is blah. 

So even with the punt you gained 14 yards if Field Position 

and it still took an INSANE catch from a WR that was cut from Bears from your ST player playing QB to win the game. 

46 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Then why couldn’t they hold them in check from the 41?!?

if you trust your defense to get the ball back, you go for it! There’s no reason not to.

There's a bunch of reasons not to and they were all shown after the punt. Did you not watch the end of the game? Did you not see all the reasons?

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Fact is what the Math said. Everything else is blah. 

So even with the punt you gained 14 yards if Field Position 

and it still took an INSANE catch from a WR that was cut from Bears from your ST player playing QB to win the game. 

Again call it luck, but what happened happened and we won the game. Had we went for it on forth down we could have had a turnover, or gotten stopped, and the momentum of the game might have changed where we don’t win. It wasn’t an egregious call anyway. It’s not clear cut what you do at that point, it’s a subjective thing imo.

Just now, Knicks&Bills said:

Again call it luck, but what happened happened and we won the game. Had we went for it on forth down we could have had a turnover, or gotten stopped, and the momentum of the game might have changed where we don’t win. It wasn’t an egregious call anyway. It’s not clear cut what you do at that point, it’s a subjective thing imo.

And if we went for it on 4th down Odds are you win the game more than if you punt. Those are varified scientific facts. That Odds are better to win the game going for it on 4th and 1 than they are punting. 

Not some mytical momentum of the game stuff 

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

If the pass falls incomplete does McDermott go for it on 4th and 9 with 2 minutes left? 

That one is a no brainer. He has no more timeouts. He has to go for that one. 

Im usually a try to see the other side kind of guy. And a lot of decisions like the one for this thread, even if I think it's an easy call, it could still be a 60-40 easy call. You can see the other side. I can't believe still that McD made that call. I think it was like 95-5 chance. It was a bad call, but it worked and we have to thank him for it. Doesn't mean it wasn't a bad call. 

I didn’t agree with the call when he made it. But despite the rationale he gave, I think it came down to he felt he couldn’t risk turning the ball over at the Colts 41 because he just watched his defense get shredded on a  19-play, 10-minute drive.  He probably felt safer giving them the ball deep in their own end and hoping for a miracle.  He got it. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And if we went for it on 4th down Odds are you win the game more than if you punt. Those are varified scientific facts. That Odds are better to win the game going for it on 4th and 1 than they are punting. 

Not some mytical momentum of the game stuff 

Odds are thrown out in those conditions. 

24 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And the Math doesnt support any of that. 

Yeah yeah i have no clue. How many tables did you smash today meathead?

None. Im sitting comfortably at my home thousands of miles away preparing myself for what awaits me at work tomorrow. Alas keep toying with namecalling. Maybe thats your calling, football definitely isnt.

I would have went for it but I disagree that punting was a gutless call.  It takes guts to punt when everyone in the stadium(except the Colts) want you to go for it.  (shades of Rex Ryan).  I thought it was lost on the Webb interception.  Lets hope Peterman can play next week because Webb is a special teamer that can fill in as a QB when absolutely necessary but the odds are he is not going to beat Miami.