Bills miss Post Season and ruin draft status.

Tatonka68

Looking at the rest of the Schedule the best the Bills can do is 9-7 with wins against the Colts and two against the Dolphins. The Ravens who now hold the last spot have games against the Lions, Steelers, Browns, Colts and Bengals. They should win at least against the Browns, Colts, Bengals and hold the tie breaker over Bills. So the Bills will not make the playoffs and drop in the draft. Typical.

Thanks for stating the already stated.  One thing I've learned over the many years of the drought is that the rest of the games NEVER play out the way they might appear on paper.

Of course, the other thing I've learned is that given the chance, the Bills will set themselves up only to lose to Miami in Week Seventeen.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

So what....  ? we were never going to be drafting in the top 5 to make it matter. Whether we finish 9 to 15 it still would take significant capital to move up for a top 2 qb.

That is true, but meaningless wins do nothing but persuade the ignorant that the Bills are close to a contender. Without Elite QB, the Bills are crap just like the last 17 years. 

4 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Looking at the rest of the Schedule the best the Bills can do is 9-7 with wins against the Colts and two against the Dolphins. The Ravens who now hold the last spot have games against the Lions, Steelers, Browns, Colts and Bengals. They should win at least against the Browns, Colts, Bengals and hold the tie breaker over Bills. So the Bills will not make the playoffs and drop in the draft. Typical.

Bengals 5-3 after starting out 0-3..granted all their wins agaisnt trash teams, just saying that game is no gimme for the Ravens. And the Colts are no pushover for wither the Bills or the Ravens

6 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

I don't think Bengals and Colts are a guaranteed win especially Bengals because they are looking better and are division opponents.

You sure the Ravens beat the Bengals?  The Ravens offense is bad enough to lose them games.

Lets also take a look at the Chargers who are just 1 game behind KC for the West.  KC looks like they are falling off the planet and we have the tie breaker over them.

I strongly think the Chargers take the division.

Now you have TN and Jax.  TN is 7-4 with all 4 losses in the conference.  They still have the Cardinals, Rams and Jags.  Also have the Texans, a division opponent that won't be an easy game.  

I expect the Bills to lose to the Pats twice which I believe gives us 4 losses in the conference.  If the Bills and TN are both 9-7, the Bills win that tie breaker if the Titans lose to the Jags.  Of course Buffalo has to beat Indy and MIA twice.

9 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

538 (which is the model I tend to trust the most) right now has the Ravens:

60% chance of beating the Lions

27% chance of beating the Steelers

80% chance of beating the Browns

77% chance of beating the Colts

68% chance of beating the Bengals

So the Lions and Bengals both pulling off the mild upsets seems to be the best hope.  But the Bills would still need to beat the fish twice and the colts.  

It's early December "what if" time at TBD :)

if we beat NE this week hope rises and we dance

if we play our normal NE game stick a fork in us, same old same old

any way you slice it and dice it though at this point tanking is out of the question and doesn't help us much at all.  A few draft spots in the middle is not worth pursuing a tank, and would do more damage to the team going into next year IMO

18 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

So what....  ? we were never going to be drafting in the top 5 to make it matter. Whether we finish 9 to 15 it still would take significant capital to move up for a top 2 qb.

exactly.  at some point you just play the games, and let things fall where they may.  it's still way too early to worry about the draft.  so much will change between now and then.

7 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

That is true, but meaningless wins do nothing but persuade the ignorant that the Bills are close to a contender. Without Elite QB, the Bills are crap just like the last 17 years. 

Except this year we have a ton of picks to persuade people to trade.  Even if we don't trade, we have a ton of picks to attempt to fill multiple holes on this team.  In years past, we've had less than 7 picks in these types of situations.  Not this year.  Plus, we got a little pocket change for free agency.  I absolutely hate when a fan says this regime will do just like the last 10 have. This one seems different doesn't it?  They have made moves to set themselves up for the future unlike every other Bills regime has in the past.  They dare to be better. 

I want to win now.  Don't know about you but I'm tired of watching 4-6 win teams.  QBs don't always workout, even the ones in the top 10.  Blake Bortles, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, RG3, Joey Harrington...the list goes on and on.  They all say hi.  I'm not gonna tank the season and build a losing culture.  That's just stupid and pathetic.  I appreciate them wanting to win and setting ourselves up for the future at the same time like they said they were doing.  I'd rather win 9 games and not make the playoffs than fall of the planet and suck.  What free agents are gonna want to come to a 4 win team?  What about a 9 win team?  Again, I don't understand why we would intentionally lose when we have the chance to win 9 games and maybe that takes us to the playoffs.  

QBs are hard to find no doubt but saying that they are only found in the top few picks is just a lie.  David Carr, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Tom Brady...they also say hi. Stay where we are and take one.  Fill in as many holes around him to give him the best chance to succeed and add some to the defense.  That's where the luxury of multiple draft picks in the first few rounds comes in.  No to tanking!! Yes to rebuilding

23 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

I agree with this. However, look at the Jests and their tanking. It doesnt always go as planned with professional athletes and coaches.

Serious question, what is the last team for whom “tanking” worked out well?

The Colts? Their once-in-a-Generation QB is currently getting experimental fairy dust and unicorn farts treatment in the Swiss Alps.

Where has it gotten the Sabres?

I can see tanking making SOME sense for the NBA, where one player can truly be transformational, and is 20% of your starting lineup. 

Tank Talk, the lazy armchair GM’s magical salve for everything ever. 

39 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

When you have a bottom 5 offense in the league there are no gimme wins (for us or them).  A turnover, or special teams TD can flip a game on the baltimores/buffalos of the league.

Just now, jimmy10 said:

Serious question, what is the last team for whom “tanking” worked out well?

The Colts? Their once-in-a-Generation QB is currently getting experimental fairy dust and unicorn farts treatment in the Swiss Alps.

Where has it gotten the Sabres?

I can see tanking making SOME sense for the NBA, where one player can truly be transformational, and is 20% of your starting lineup. 

Tank Talk, the lazy armchair GM’s magical salve for everything ever. 

Football tanking doesn't work.  Winston and Mariota looked great last year, this year not so much.  Luck hasn't been good in like 3 years.  RG3 already flamed out.  Wentz and Goff look great this year - we'll see about next year (but both of them were traded for - so they don't technically qualify as tank people).  Stafford never won anything.  Newton's not exactly a world beating star, what'd they hang - 9 points on us?  Sam Bradford still keeps getting huge pay days despite never doing anything.  

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't worry. The Chiefs are tanking for us.

Seriously.  I think the Jets crush them this week...beat them by two scores.  KC offense is just terrible right now and the Jets defense will give them more problems.

I think the Chargers roll them too.

Dolphins, Raiders and Broncos are the other last 3.  I think the Broncos is the only game where they should handle.  It's a toss up between the Raiders and Dolphins.

8-8 I believe would get us in the top 10.  This is a Chiefs team that has lost 5 of 6 and one of those teams was the Giants.  They might even finish worse than 8-8 with they way they are playing.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Football tanking doesn't work.  Winston and Mariota looked great last year, this year not so much.  Luck hasn't been good in like 3 years.  RG3 already flamed out.  Wentz and Goff look great this year - we'll see about next year (but both of them were traded for - so they don't technically qualify as tank people).  Stafford never won anything.  Newton's not exactly a world beating star, what'd they hang - 9 points on us?  Sam Bradford still keeps getting huge pay days despite never doing anything.  

Luck threw 31 TD's last year with 4,200 yards passing.

40 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Bills should tank the season right now, in a way they are by playing Tyrod the terrible. 

The Buffalo sports mentality....because our teams don't lose enough as it is.....let's keep losing some more....it's been fun so far, right?

• Like (+1) 1

I am just hoping the Bills beat the Patriots this week.

Speculation beyond that does not mean a lot to me. 

I do not mind if others enjoy trying to figure out who has to win and who has to lose, for wild card or 2018 draft positions, but I like to just take it one win at a time. 

I have been disappointed too many times farther to look into the future!

50 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Except this year we have a ton of picks to persuade people to trade.  Even if we don't trade, we have a ton of picks to attempt to fill multiple holes on this team.  In years past, we've had less than 7 picks in these types of situations.  Not this year.  Plus, we got a little pocket change for free agency.  I absolutely hate when a fan says this regime will do just like the last 10 have. This one seems different doesn't it?  They have made moves to set themselves up for the future unlike every other Bills regime has in the past.  They dare to be better. 

I want to win now.  Don't know about you but I'm tired of watching 4-6 win teams.  QBs don't always workout, even the ones in the top 10.  Blake Bortles, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, RG3, Joey Harrington...the list goes on and on.  They all say hi.  I'm not gonna tank the season and build a losing culture.  That's just stupid and pathetic.  I appreciate them wanting to win and setting ourselves up for the future at the same time like they said they were doing.  I'd rather win 9 games and not make the playoffs than fall of the planet and suck.  What free agents are gonna want to come to a 4 win team?  What about a 9 win team?  Again, I don't understand why we would intentionally lose when we have the chance to win 9 games and maybe that takes us to the playoffs.  

QBs are hard to find no doubt but saying that they are only found in the top few picks is just a lie.  David Carr, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Tom Brady...they also say hi. Stay where we are and take one.  Fill in as many holes around him to give him the best chance to succeed and add some to the defense.  That's where the luxury of multiple draft picks in the first few rounds comes in.  No to tanking!! Yes to rebuilding

Or we trade a 2nd or 1st for Eli

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Seriously.  I think the Jets crush them this week...beat them by two scores.  KC offense is just terrible right now and the Jets defense will give them more problems.

I think the Chargers roll them too.

Dolphins, Raiders and Broncos are the other last 3.  I think the Broncos is the only game where they should handle.  It's a toss up between the Raiders and Dolphins.

8-8 I believe would get us in the top 10.  This is a Chiefs team that has lost 5 of 6 and one of those teams was the Giants.  They might even finish worse than 8-8 with they way they are playing.

Luck threw 31 TD's last year with 4,200 yards passing.

Someone suggested that they benched TT to give the Chargers a better shot at the division.

11 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

So the Colts tank has worked out great for fantasy football teams, if not any actual teams. 

Well when you have Grigson as GM and Irsay as owner....they f'ed that up.

They never built a defense or an offensive line in Indy.  Loaded up at the skill positions which was pretty stupid.  Give Luck protection and he will pick you apart.

2 minutes ago, manbeast said:

Someone suggested that they benched TT to give the Chargers a better shot at the division.

I don't really believe that.  I think McDermott just wanted more from the passing game and took a risk.

Didn't workout so TT is back.

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

Division game against the Bengals is not a gimmee. The Ravens offense has been terrible so teams should be able to hang around with them. Will come down to the Raven's defense to carry team to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well when you have Grigson as GM and Irsay as owner....they f'ed that up.

They never built a defense or an offensive line in Indy.  Loaded up at the skill positions which was pretty stupid.  Give Luck protection and he will pick you apart.

I don't really believe that.  I think McDermott just wanted more from the passing game and took a risk.

Didn't workout so TT is back.

Neither do I, but that would be awesome if they did that and made the playoffs.  Sounds like something that other AFC East team would do.  Of course they probably would have already clinched home field.  Instead of tanking your own season you tank another teams. LOL

Edited by manbeast

34 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Seems to be a lot of veteran QBs available this year.  I think they'd even roll the dice on Sam Bradford after he gets healthy again...who knows

Please no more hand me down QB's, there is a reason they are available. Can the Bills please draft an elite.

Edited by Tatonka68

All I know is more often than not these late in the season scenarios seemed to fall into Buffalo's lap but they never take care of there own business for it to matter.  

Lets get to 9 plus wins first before we go through the gymnastics to figure it out.  

Edited by Mat68

58 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Seems to be a lot of veteran QBs available this year.  I think they'd even roll the dice on Sam Bradford after he gets healthy again...who knows

Why would anyone "roll the dice" on Bradford? Insanity, it is said, is doing the same thing over and over & expecting a different result.

22 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Why would anyone "roll the dice" on Bradford? Insanity, it is said, is doing the same thing over and over & expecting a different result.

Bradford's knee would be like Cordy Glenn's foot or Percy Harvin's migraines. Would be a mistake to sign him as I just don't think he will stay healthy long enough to be available. I rather take my lumps with Peterson while rookie QB is groomed than stay in neutral and never going anywhere.

Edited by billieve420

56 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Please no more hand me down QB's, there is a reason they are available. Can the Bills please draft an elite.

I think there is the problem. Everyone would love for the Bills to have a top rated QB fall to them in the draft and have him be the future. Then the alarm clock goes off and we keep hitting snooze. A QB needs to go to the right system with the right players around him to be successful. Look at Mason Rudolph. He has talent but he has great receivers, good RB, and a good coaching staff as well. The Bills are not going to be in a position to get the top 2 or 3 QB's. I dont think they should waste the draft capital to move up. Everyone is always going to second guess the Bills. If Cousins, Luck, or Manning get moved to other teams, fans will complain. If the Bills draft a QB but he doesnt play right away, fans will complain. If he does play and he struggles, fans will complain. There is no simple answer. If the Bills can land Cousins and use the draft picks and free agency to put more talent on the team, I think success will come sooner than later.

The whole tank thing and need was avoided by making the moves they made in training camp.  They have the ability to move up to nearly any position in the draft if a team is looking for a trade.  They have the Capital to either have a full draft of prospects with a trade.  Or it it all this year and have a full compliment of picks for 2019 as well.  They do not have a Franchise Qb on the roster.  Not even one who can potential be.  Now is the year they have to fix that.  They ammo and cap space allows them to figure that out.  Hell they like cousins sign him and use the picks to build a team around him.  They have options this year they just have to make a move and hope it works out.  Getting a Franchise QB is the only way to stabilize a franchise.