Official Schopp and Bulldog Thread

Ol Dirty B

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I live near Boston where they have two competing sports talk FM's. And any show at any time of day is light years better than S&B. The difference is these stations hire people who actually know sports. They are usually paired with former players. So you get knowledgeable conversations and real insight.

But in Buffalo negativity sells. So you end up with shows that just talk about bad stuff, bad stuff in history or how good stuff could have easily been bad stuff. The fact that S&B have time to hold dessert drafts just shows how lacking their sports knowledge is.

you can thank the Couch that (yes, purposely mis-spelled).  Guy was a total d-bag.

Edited by Philly McButterpants

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're pretty much proving my point. Being a Buffalo fan is being in a constant state of anger and fear. Even when things are going well, we can't stop bringing up past failures. We can't enjoy anything.

Why in Gods green earth do you still listen to it then? You have a choice, dont load the GR app on your phone. 

You kill me with "its only negativity in Buffalo" and yet always react negatively to everything Buffalo and Buffalo fans. You do not practice what you preach young man!

I think both the morning and afternoon shows are very good. 

People always bag on various figures in the Buffalo sports media because they are too 'negative'.

What do you expect?  Just graze the history of the Bills.  Had a blip in the late 80s and early-mid 90s... but other than that, one of the worst NFL franchises historically.   To add to the Bills' struggles of 17+ seasons, The Sabres possess the 2nd longest drought in the NHL, and are embroiled in what is by far the worst era of the franchise.

Trust me.  These guys want these teams to do well.  They are tired of the same cycle, same talking points, same callers, same results.  Its groundhog day and it has to be very tough to create content and make it interesting with the state of things.  The program directors, at least for the afternoon show force them to focus on Bills and Sabres only.  That's tough.  Schopp's main base of knowledge are baseball, tennis, and he loves analytical stuff, especially when it comes to odds-making.

And, to be honest, they arent really that negative, and WGR in particular has definitely softened the tone since they became the Bills' broadcast home.

May Day, you have it all wrong! Its Bills fans( who seel out the joint consistently) and Buffalo media who have caused a 17 year run of futility in the football team and 14 out of 17-year mess on the hockey team. The teams have made nothing but the absolute right decisions, and the stinky fans in Buffalo and the stinky media are just overly negative with 6 playoff teams in the last 34 years. 

We just have never learned to patient!!!

Do I have that right PTR?

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Why in Gods green earth do you still listen to it then? You have a choice, dont load the GR app on your phone. 

You kill me with "its only negativity in Buffalo" and yet always react negatively to everything Buffalo and Buffalo fans. You do not practice what you preach young man!

I think both the morning and afternoon shows are very good. 

You can't avoid listening if you want to keep up with the team. I do actively avoid S&B except when Rob Ray or Sal C are on. And even then it's usually on-demand with the app. 

Look, I get that bitching and moaning about Buffalo teams is what people do. I made a resolution years ago to stop getting bent out of shape over them. I still love watching games and going to New Era (and Key Bank) but if the game goes sideways I just let it roll off my back. 

The playoff droughts for both teams are the easy justification for the vitriol. I will bet you the day the droughts end little if anything will change. There will just be new goal posts. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You can't avoid listening if you want to keep up with the team. I do actively avoid S&B except when Rob Ray or Sal C are on. And even then it's usually on-demand with the app. 

Look, I get that bitching and moaning about Buffalo teams is what people do. I made a resolution years ago to stop getting bent out of shape over them. I still love watching games and going to New Era (and Key Bank) but if the game goes sideways I just let it roll off my back. 

The playoff droughts for both teams are the easy justification for the vitriol. I will bet you the day the droughts end little if anything will change. There will just be new goal posts. 

I don't buy that argument the only way to keep up with the team is with GR. I mean we just had a what 30 page thread debating why pay for the BN when there are so many other outlets today available covering the team. I think, I should say know, you listen cause you enjoy the shows. You and everyone else would not listen otherwise. As an example, you don't see a lot of people bitching about Murphs show, cause no one listens, no one cares what he says, and the show is boring as hell.

And I don't mean to get cranky, but I can guarantee if someone criticizes the team or a player etc, your immediate reaction is to say "typical buffalo, all they can do is B word".Sometimes they deserve praise, but a ton of ton they deserve criticism for the way the play and the decisions they make. To play it any other way on the radio would be disingenuous.

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The relatively high IQ of the show is provided by Mike Schopp and his general approach to the show.  On days when he is off and it's just Bulldog, I usually don't listen. 

It's not just a lack of wit on the part of Bulldog; he is just a nice guy by nature who doesn't enjoy confrontation so he rarely disagreed with Schopp.

Schopp definitely treats some callers poorly, but in his defense many of their callers are complete idiots and in general, that aspect of the show doesn't bother me.

When they try to be funny or dedicate time to non-sports content, like holding the meat draft, I find the show unlistenable.

Neither is funny or clever enough to sustain an entertaining banter when they try to go off topic.

I've listened to this type of talk radio in a bunch of markets; I think it's pretty average for that sort of thing.

Overall I listen b/c it keeps me connected to WNY.

Yes, of course bashing these guys is a routine thing here; I think that was precisely the OP's point...to make it a dedicated thread that keeps expanding over time without having to create new ones from time to time.

Not only is an X and O type show not listenable, it appeals to a very small group of people.

Ironically, this is the crux of much criticism thrown at Schopp & Bulldog.

If they actually did that type of a show and had the football IQ to do it, all of the Sabres/hockey people in the audience would be gone, any neutral casual listener would be gone, and even most Bills/football fans would be gone, other than maybe 100 or so people who are so into the topic, they live on a football chat forum 24/7.  

The radio station is not trying to appeal to those 100 individuals.  They are trying to reach a large audience.

I can't recall the last time he said something like that; he hasn't really dwelled on the Cleveland Browns in many months.

I'm guessing you don't regularly listen to the show.

wait...you think schopp is high-iq?

:lol:

I stopped listening to them altogether about 10 years ago partially because I moved to Chicago and partially because it seemed they would never really talk about sports. They did entire segments on tennis lessons, maple syrup, game shows and I kid you not some guy in Amherst’s dred locks. I would start listening thinking the mindless chatter was leading to a segment topic related to sports and then I would relize this was the topic. I actually didn’t mind it if they did talk Bills or Sabres regardless of their opinions but it seemed like it was not enough for a station that billed itself “all sports all the time”.

3 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I stopped listening to them altogether about 10 years ago partially because I moved to Chicago and partially because it seemed they would never really talk about sports. They did entire segments on tennis lessons, maple syrup, game shows and I kid you not some guy in Amherst’s dred locks. I would start listening thinking the mindless chatter was leading to a segment topic related to sports and then I would relize this was the topic. I actually didn’t mind it if they did talk Bills or Sabres regardless of their opinions but it seemed like it was not enough for a station that billed itself “all sports all the time”.

I like all that stuff, it keeps my mind off of just how bad Pegula's teams are as I drive home.  What I don't like is when Schopp talks about Kaepernick as some kind of God, then I have to switch the station.

Edited by T-Bomb

14 hours ago, bbb said:

I'm worried about their immune systems.  They're both out about 30 days a year.  (Somehow, they never get sick on the same day, though)............Bulldog was out sick for the post game Sunday. 

It's got to be tough with their 6 or more weeks or vacation, and having to work 4 hours a day. 

They all get sick quite a bit there. I think these guys can drive pretty hard bargains on their contracts as the ratings are sky high, and they negotiate a ton of sick days and are not afraid to use them.

. I dont believe Bulldog was sick for one minute on Sunday, think he just thought they were going to get destroyed and he did not feel like dealing with the callers..o

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Well, he does have a whole Internet forum of haters posting in his “Official” thread (seriously, WTF does “official” mean?), generating heat online and making his employers happy, so he can’t be that stupid. 

Bulldog doesnt bother me all that much. Schoop is overly argumentative all the time and it gets fairly annoying. Having said that, they do get some idiotic callers that go on and on and make really stupid points. When I listen to Murphy and Jones and some of the callers they take, I feel like my iq went down 20 points. I'm not sure what it is about sports that people have these absolutely absurd takes and just make themselves sound moronic on a live radio show. So while schoop is a douche quite often, I also can see why he sounds like he hates his life 

Edited by Steptide

10 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Caught a few minutes of the post-game show  Sunday.Schopp was going on about starting Peterman the week before instead of talking about the game vs KC.

He was also recapping past Bills failures in KC...for the first 15 minutes after the game. I think he prepped his show expecting a loss and wasn't about to waste his material. But we're in the middle of a 17-year playoff drought so that's okay.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

He is - just ask him.  I remember that big Saturday feature on him in the News when he was working at Rigas' station - about how he's a mensa and yet doing this lowbrow radio gig - but it was "sports talk for smart people"

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

They all get sick quite a bit there. I think these guys can drive pretty hard bargains on their contracts as the ratings are sky high, and they negotiate a ton of sick days and are not afraid to use them.

. I dont believe Bulldog was sick for one minute on Sunday, think he just thought they were going to get destroyed and he did not feel like dealing with the callers..o

I don't believe it, either.  I'm pretty sure he was "sick" on Thanksgiving Sunday last year........"Not afraid to you use them"  - haha - that's for sure! 

• 2 months later...

Schopp & Bulldog ranked 7th in Nation in 2017 for mid-Market afternoon shows 

http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/01/the-top-20-mid-market-afternoon-shows-of-2017-are/

the #1 show, bull & fox in Cleveland is a show I listen to a lot. It’s truly great. The #12 show is our local show in CBus. They are hilarious.

As we acknowledge in each Top 20 posting, our rankings are determined by a panel of radio executives who use the following criteria below to make their choices. BSM doesnot vote in this process. We simply add up the votes, design the graphics, and present a collective snapshot for people inside and outside of the industry to gain a better understanding of how sports radio’s top decision makers view the format’s best programs.
  • Ratings success in their local market
  • Quality content and on-air presentation
  • An established track record of success in the format
  • Spent more than six months hosting on a Mid Market sports radio station
  • Points are given for each ranking (EX: 20 points for 1st place, 1 point for 20th place)

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 11/28/2017 at 5:49 PM, Steptide said:

Bulldog doesnt bother me all that much. Schoop is overly argumentative all the time and it gets fairly annoying. Having said that, they do get some idiotic callers that go on and on and make really stupid points. When I listen to Murphy and Jones and some of the callers they take, I feel like my iq went down 20 points. I'm not sure what it is about sports that people have these absolutely absurd takes and just make themselves sound moronic on a live radio show. So while schoop is a douche quite often, I also can see why he sounds like he hates his life 

I feel like that is every show on WGR for the most part. I'd listen to the football related shows on the WGR app. more regularly, but the callers just made me cringe way too frequent. I felt bad for them and turn it off because it reminded me of the clients I work with. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Schopp & Bulldog ranked 7th in Nation in 2017 for mid-Market afternoon shows 

http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/01/the-top-20-mid-market-afternoon-shows-of-2017-are/

the #1 show, bull & fox in Cleveland is a show I listen to a lot. It’s truly great. The #12 show is our local show in CBus. They are hilarious.

Curious. A judged panel. They indicate criteria but much of it is still subjective. Also who is Barrett Sports Media?

On 11/27/2017 at 10:50 PM, Captain Murica said:

Only thing I think Schopp is a little ridiculous about is his statement that the Browns are in a better position than the Bills. I don't get it. 

They were honestly.  When they had loke 11 draft picks and 60 mil under cap. I was green with envy. They just are the best at blowing draft picks and money on nevershouldhavebeens.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:55 PM, metzelaars_lives said:

The Schopp and Bulldog criticism is so played out.  They're good.  I live in Denver, which is a substantially bigger sports market than Buffalo, and the afternoon drive guys are the worst.  They have two guys, just like Schopp and the Bulldog, and one of them, former NFL linebacker Alfred Williams, posed the question a few weeks ago as to whether or not Martellus Bennett is a Hall of Famer.  It has become apparent that the only people who incessantly complain about Schopp and the Bulldog are people who have never left Buffalo and never listened to drive time sports talk radio in other cities, as to have a frame of reference.  They're good at what they do.  If I had one complaint, it would be that they always agree with each other (aka Bulldog doesn't possess the wit to argue with Schopp) and they never really have differing opinions.  But the dialogue is much smarter and high level than what you find here in Denver.  And NY sports talk radio is terrible also.  Relax with the Schopp and Bulldog bashing already.  Not to mention, this thread has been posted at least 50 times, this is nothing new.

This dude speaketh the truth.  Sports radio around Atlanta is sub par.  Here in the DC area, I don't think any are better than S&B.  Riggo is the best here but he only has an occasional spot.  I do agree that S&B should plan more topics where they are at each other.  I connect with their silly humor.  

On 11/27/2017 at 10:55 PM, metzelaars_lives said:

The Schopp and Bulldog criticism is so played out.  They're good.  I live in Denver, which is a substantially bigger sports market than Buffalo, and the afternoon drive guys are the worst.  They have two guys, just like Schopp and the Bulldog, and one of them, former NFL linebacker Alfred Williams, posed the question a few weeks ago as to whether or not Martellus Bennett is a Hall of Famer.  It has become apparent that the only people who incessantly complain about Schopp and the Bulldog are people who have never left Buffalo and never listened to drive time sports talk radio in other cities, as to have a frame of reference.  They're good at what they do.  If I had one complaint, it would be that they always agree with each other (aka Bulldog doesn't possess the wit to argue with Schopp) and they never really have differing opinions.  But the dialogue is much smarter and high level than what you find here in Denver.  And NY sports talk radio is terrible also.  Relax with the Schopp and Bulldog bashing already.  Not to mention, this thread has been posted at least 50 times, this is nothing new.

You must have missed when Bulldog had enough of Schopp defending the position that Tyrod was good.  I couldnt believe what I hear. I am guessing you have the app. Man I love football Mondays... Howard... almost never there... and Jeremy, Sal. i do not listen to Murph, Schopp and Bulldog, Ryan and Nate. Thats a hell of a lineup for to me 

On 11/27/2017 at 11:01 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I live near Boston where they have two competing sports talk FM's. And any show at any time of day is light years better than S&B. The difference is these stations hire people who actually know sports. They are usually paired with former players. So you get knowledgeable conversations and real insight.

But in Buffalo negativity sells. So you end up with shows that just talk about bad stuff, bad stuff in history or how good stuff could have easily been bad stuff. The fact that S&B have time to hold dessert drafts just shows how lacking their sports knowledge is.

I only laugh at thr second paragraph

7 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

They were honestly.  When they had loke 11 draft picks and 60 mil under cap. I was green with envy. They just are the best at blowing draft picks and money on nevershouldhavebeens.

They were from a value stand point when it came to the quantity of draft picks and cap space before this season. But, he was continuing with this narrative during this season. They finished 0-16 and had no sense of direction until they hired Dorsey. They have a coach on the hot seat(1-31 record), and we have a coach that just broke the longest active play-off drought in North American Sports. We also have 8 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next two drafts which is pretty solid for a club that just went to the play-offs and will continue to build and be competitive along with coinciding with 85 million in estimated cap space in 2019. 

Schoop has made perfectly clear his hatred for football.  His co host never disagrees with him.  They never sound like they're enjoying themselves.....in fact the only time they do is when they have a candy draft. 

I can't listen to them anymore and I used to try and tune in.  Sometime between Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan and whatever number tank the Sabres are on I stopped listening.  

Awful.  Buffalo deserves better.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Schoop has made perfectly clear his hatred for football.  His co host never disagrees with him.  They never sound like they're enjoying themselves.....in fact the only time they do is when they have a candy draft. 

I can't listen to them anymore and I used to try and tune in.  Sometime between Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan and whatever number tank the Sabres are on I stopped listening.  

Awful.  Buffalo deserves better.  

Totally agree. If they had any competition on a station with a good signal, they'd get destroyed. Deregulation sucks. Without being the Bills and Sabres flagship they'd sink in 18 months.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/27/2017 at 10:44 PM, Fadingpain said:

I've commented on this before, but it is getting to the point where it is really hard for me to listen to Bulldog.

He stammers, hesitates, and generally misspeaks constantly as part of his general speech pattern.  If you start focusing on it, it's all you can hear and you can't un-hear it.  It's really distracting.  

That's kind of funny, as he is paid to speak for a living in a purely audio medium.

The other weird habit of his is to deliver a particularly long passage, and forget to breathe while speaking, such that he is literally out of breath by the end of his sentence and struggling to speak b/c he doesn't have enough air left in his lungs to produce words at normal volume without fluttering.

That one is really annoying too, as it cause me to feel out of breath myself!  

All of this is very apparent.  But his voice.  Oh my, his voice!  Truly ear splitting; a voice for print journalism.

57 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

They were from a value stand point when it came to the quantity of draft picks and cap space before this season. But, he was continuing with this narrative during this season. They finished 0-16 and had no sense of direction until they hired Dorsey. They have a coach on the hot seat(1-31 record), and we have a coach that just broke the longest active play-off drought in North American Sports. We also have 8 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next two drafts which is pretty solid for a club that just went to the play-offs and will continue to build and be competitive along with coinciding with 85 million in estimated cap space in 2019. 

yeah i think i remember him saying that earlier on in the season. He takes it a little too far sometimes. We definitely moved into that cleveland air, only the collection of players we have going forward has more promise than the browns did when they were in this position

2 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

You must have missed when Bulldog had enough of Schopp defending the position that Tyrod was good.  I couldnt believe what I hear.

It could actually be pretty good if Bulldog would take the position that I'm pretty sure he is thinking most of the time.  I heard about 5 minutes today, and it was pretty good.  A guy called in who had just had a class with that John Urshel (sp?), math genius who retired from the Ravens, and brought up momentum (Schopp's pet peave - well, one of them).  And, John said he gets the # stuff, but you can still feel it as a player.............Schoop said his thing.  And, then Bulldog said "I gotta tell ya, I really never got this War on Momentum."............One time a few years ago, when we were looking for a coach and some name came up, and Schoop said "but he'll punt" - Bulldog started screaming "Everybody punts!  Belichick punts!"

But, most of the time he just goes along.

4 minutes ago, bbb said:

It could actually be pretty good if Bulldog would take the position that I'm pretty sure he is thinking most of the time.  I heard about 5 minutes today, and it was pretty good.  A guy called in who had just had a class with that John Urshel (sp?), math genius who retired from the Ravens, and brought up momentum (Schopp's pet peave - well, one of them).  And, John said he gets the # stuff, but you can still feel it as a player.............Schoop said his thing.  And, then Bulldog said "I gotta tell ya, I really never got this War on Momentum."............One time a few years ago, when we were looking for a coach and some name came up, and Schoop said "but he'll punt" - Bulldog started screaming "Everybody punts!  Belichick punts!"

But, most of the time he just goes along.

My problem is the Lapdog is that he never seems to stand up to Mike.  Mike will pontificate on why his view is the best and Bulldog agrees with him 95% of the time.  If he doesn't agree he certainly won't voice his opinion.  That's why I think Sal Capaccio and Mike were a better fit.  Sal would respectfully disagree with Mike and they'd go back and forth.  Of course when Sal makes a good point Mike can't counter he just says "OK.....OK" and moves onto another subject.  LOL

You never really hear any memorable debates or exchanges between Schoop or Bulldogs.  It's just Mike spouting off and the Bulldog backing him up.  I don't agree with Mike and thing he comes off as smug sometimes but he's great for talk radio.  Bulldog - not so much

2 hours ago, The_Dude said:

I like Schopp and the Bulldog. Some people have a problem with them because they call it like they see it. 

Schoop calls it like he sees it and comes off like a jerk but I can respect him as a talk show host.  Bulldog on the other is brutal to listen to and won't stand up to Mike.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

My problem is the Lapdog is that he never seems to stand up to Mike.  Mike will pontificate on why his view is the best and Bulldog agrees with him 95% of the time.  If he doesn't agree he certainly won't voice his opinion.  That's why I think Sal Capaccio and Mike were a better fit.  Sal would respectfully disagree with Mike and they'd go back and forth.  Of course when Sal makes a good point Mike can't counter he just says "OK.....OK" and moves onto another subject.  LOL

You never really hear any memorable debates or exchanges between Schoop or Bulldogs.  It's just Mike spouting off and the Bulldog backing him up.  I don't agree with Mike and thing he comes off as smug sometimes but he's great for talk radio.  Bulldog - not so much

Schoop calls it like he sees it and comes off like a jerk but I can respect him as a talk show host.  Bulldog on the other is brutal to listen to and won't stand up to Mike.  

Mike can come off as a jerk sometimes. That’s fair. But the callers are what’s really awful. 

11 hours ago, Ga boy said:

This dude speaketh the truth.  Sports radio around Atlanta is sub par.  Here in the DC area, I don't think any are better than S&B.  Riggo is the best here but he only has an occasional spot.  I do agree that S&B should plan more topics where they are at each other.  I connect with their silly humor.  

Mike Bell is the best thing on Atlanta sports radio.  He is better than anyone on WGR except Sal