Official Schopp and Bulldog Thread

Ol Dirty B

I have complained a lot about them....as an out of towner I would listen after games until this last season I listed more than that.  What I learned is the worst time to listen to these guys is after a game.  Schopp can be a big downer, even after a win.  He treats the callers like dog crap.  Admittedly some of the callers are pretty bad.    I really think these guys are beaten down by the drought, long period of nothingness.   When the Bills made the playoffs they kind of changed their tone and it got better.

I also live in the Boston market and agree with PromoTheRobot in that the radio shows in Boston are way better.  I dont listen often and you can find faults but the overall quality is way better.

34 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I also live in the Boston market and agree with PromoTheRobot in that the radio shows in Boston are way better.  I dont listen often and you can find faults but the overall quality is way better.

I like EEI when I listen, which is only occasionally. Thing is, they have 4 teams that for the last 18 years have been consistent winners for the most part. Much more material to discuss keeps the shows more interesting. And I know some will say Buffalo sports could talk more about baseball and basketball, but that's not why I turn them on.. I want Buffalo sports talk. If I want basketball and baseball in any kind of depth, I would tune into a national show.

And I may be wrong, but I think Schoop loves baseball, maybe more than any sport and would love to talk about it more, but ratings in Buffalo would plummet if it were more than an occasional segment.

Once in a great while I've heard Jeremy White on in the afternoon, or Brad Ritter comes back. Its a better show when they are out of their comfort zone. I don't think Sal counts, cause he is on the show so much already. I listen to their show almost all the time, but it would be something fresh if they split them up. Maybe put Jeremy in the afternoon, and put Chris in the morning. Just to shake up the chemistry. Either way, the 5 hours of programming on that show from 10am-3pm is some of the most boring radio. The commercial for instigators reminds me of how bad the show is every day. And John Murphy saying that the bills might be able to beat New England, shows how much I cant take anything he says seriously.

On 11/27/2017 at 10:41 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

S&B built a career doing a sports talk show nearly devoid of actual sports talk.

i recently found 950 am and in that time slot is danger and battaglia...? i like that much better. btw, i like the john murphy show and i know that's another thread but i think lorax would be a great replacement for jones.

i now bounce back and forth. the only 2hrs. i won't listen to gr ever is between 10 and noon....the instigators. i am just not into hockey at all. i love everything bills.

Edited by billsredneck1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:06 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Nah I've heard Fred Smerlas and he was about as unbearable and terrible to listen to as The Bulldog.  He sounds way worse - like he is drowsy and could pass out at any time.   I used to listen to Fred on The Bob Matthews Show in Rochester years ago and between the two of them, it was brutal as all hell.  

They used to have Smerlas on the morning show on Fridays during the season.  One time Smerlas was acting all smug about New England & Tom Brady & Simon ripped him a new one.  They got into it pretty good.  It was hilarious.  I don't think old Freddie appeared on the show after that.

As far as Schopp & BD, these guys are pretty clueless.  You get the feeling to that neither one of them ever played a sport in their life, even as kids.  BD is terrified of MS & will never disagree with him because he knows if he does it will probably cost him his job.  I get the feeling BD washes Schoppe's car & cuts his grass on the weekend for better job security. 

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, T-Bomb said:

I like all that stuff, it keeps my mind off of just how bad Pegula's teams are as I drive home.  What I don't like is when Schopp talks about Kaepernick as some kind of God, then I have to switch the station.

How could you possibly enjoy their fantasy drafts about sandwiches & debating for 2 hours whether the hot dog should be considered a sandwich? 

15 minutes ago, Gordio said:

They used to have Smerlas on the morning show on Fridays during the season.  One time Smerlas was acting all smug about New England & Tom Brady & Simon ripped him a new one.  They got into it pretty good.  It was hilarious.  I don't think old Freddie appeared on the show after that.

As far as Schopp & BD, these guys are pretty clueless.  You get the feeling to that neither one of them ever played a sport in their life, even as kids.  BD is terrified of MS & will never disagree with him because he knows if he does it will probably cost him his job.  I get the feeling BD washes Schoppe's car & cuts his grass on the weekend for better job security. 

How could you possibly enjoy their fantasy drafts about sandwiches & debating for 2 hours whether the hot dog should be considered a sandwich? 

That’s my biggest gripe.  The Bulldog will never disagree with Mike.  It makes the show tough to listen to for me.  I’m not saying they have get into On-Air debates but listen to the show when it was Mike and Sal.  Sal actually shared a different point of view respectfully.  Mike wasn’t used to that all he could say was “Ok....Ok”

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/27/2017 at 10:55 PM, metzelaars_lives said:

The Schopp and Bulldog criticism is so played out.  They're good.  I live in Denver, which is a substantially bigger sports market than Buffalo, and the afternoon drive guys are the worst.  They have two guys, just like Schopp and the Bulldog, and one of them, former NFL linebacker Alfred Williams, posed the question a few weeks ago as to whether or not Martellus Bennett is a Hall of Famer.  It has become apparent that the only people who incessantly complain about Schopp and the Bulldog are people who have never left Buffalo and never listened to drive time sports talk radio in other cities, as to have a frame of reference.  They're good at what they do.  If I had one complaint, it would be that they always agree with each other (aka Bulldog doesn't possess the wit to argue with Schopp) and they never really have differing opinions.  But the dialogue is much smarter and high level than what you find here in Denver.  And NY sports talk radio is terrible also.  Relax with the Schopp and Bulldog bashing already.  Not to mention, this thread has been posted at least 50 times, this is nothing new.

I left Buffalo when I was 18, did a tour in the Marines, then landed in Oregon. I have lived or worked in Ireland, France, Germany, China, Japan and Singapore. I lived for a bit in New Mexico, Texas and have now settled in the Albany area. 

I do not think the criticism of Mike is overblown. He generally make me annoyed and agitated if I listen. I mostly stopped unless there is big news. Then I remember all over again why I don't like him. He is condescending and rude. He acts in manner consistent with someone who over rates their own intellect. He also routinely changes his positions when a caller makes a point he has made before just to be argumentative.

He also seems to have a contempt for sports in general. He routinely says he doesn't know and lets the people he follows on twitter form his opinion. He is a tough listen and it doesn't need to be that way. Just because there are worse doesn't excuse him. There is no place else to get Buffalo sports radio so we are stuck.

I listen to Tim Graham every week.

Schopp is above it all. His sighs and general arrogant demeanor are just a way to remind all of us that he is stooping a bit to do the show.

But he does his job. We're talking about him on a message board.

Bulldog is just a guy who seems to struggle with the English language and sounds like the verbal equivalent of a kettle of milk boiling over onto the stove.

They are what they are- an entrenched small market low budget AM radio talk show duo, that don’t appear to spend Tons of prep time and seem to favor hockey Over football but are obliigated to watch at least both along with ESPN for general knowledge. Not much insider stuff. 

They are obligated to fill air time with topics, read sponsor messaging and field an occasional phone call. While avoiding saying offensive or inappropriate things. 

I imagine they crowd source their research on this board which is a goldmine of content and talking points. I’ve yet to see them beat TBD on a scoop. 

I stream from work occaisally, mostly for nostalgia (Cellino and Barnes and other commercials with that B-lo accent) 

id like to think I’d try to be more enguaging with callers personally in that job, but it easy for me to say. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I imagine they crowd source their research on this board which is a goldmine of content and talking points. I’ve yet to see them beat TBD on a scoop. 

I am convinced of this.    I have heard out of the ordinary conversation topics discussed on this board (and likely only on this board) get mentioned and brought up as topics by the hosts more than once.

Not that I blame them for doing it.   I would do it if I was in their position too.    This place is a cheat sheet for great topics for Buffalo Bills and NFL focused conversations.

Edited by PolishDave

5 minutes ago, NewCardsFan said:

The last time I ever listened to them was about 6 or 7 years ago and they were arguing over whether then-Yankees pitcher Chien-Ming Wang was Korean or Japanese. One said Korean and the other insisted Japanese.

The answer was neither.

Riveting stuff right there :lol:

7 hours ago, PolishDave said:

I am convinced of this.    I have heard out of the ordinary conversation topics discussed on this board (and likely only on this board) get mentioned and brought up as topics by the hosts more than once.

Not that I blame them for doing it.   I would do it if I was in their position too.    This place is a cheat sheet for great topics for Buffalo Bills and NFL focused conversations.

Is it possible that they, this board, and everyone else in Bills nation is all focusing on pretty much the same stuff at the same point in time?

10 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Is it possible that they, this board, and everyone else in Bills nation is all focusing on pretty much the same stuff at the same point in time?

For the most part yes about most topics yes.    But, not when an entirely "out of left field" topic is being discussed here one day and then mentioned and talked about later that day on their show.   That is not a coincidence; especially if it happens more than once.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, Gordio said:

I'd rather listen to that than anything John Murphy has to say...