Reggie Ragland's play for the chiefs

berg1029

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Every new coach says he will adjust his scheme to fit the players already on the roster.  Then they don't.  I think it's a travesty.

Every new coach ends up dumping most of the players and getting THEIR guys for THEIR scheme.  Trust the process. 

It will take three years just to find out if the new coach's scheme is any good.  And then you realize it isn't, so you start over.

Unless you don't. Unless you buck the NFL trend and actually give these guys five years.

2 hours ago, berg1029 said:

In all likelihood, it was probably not going to be a good fit once they decided to switch defenses.  With that being said, I felt like the guy never really got a fair shake in Buffalo.  The game before he was traded, he only had 3 snaps.  Coming off an ugly injury and not having played for a year, I felt like some more patience may have benefited the Bills in his situation.  It would appear he was still in the recovery process when they traded him

^THIS^

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Unless you don't. Unless you buck the NFL trend and actually give these guys five years.

Do you think Rex would have turned the ship around if he was given two more years?

Rex may be an anomaly.  Just playing devil's advocate.

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Preston Brown is the worst starter on our team. I can’t stand seeing this guy running 5 yds behind guys moving in slow motion. I would have much rather given Ragland a shot. Milano at MLB Ragland at SLB. Can’t be worse then the 2 guys we have out there now. Looks like they have quick sand for socks

Brown started out the Season very very good actually

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I didn't know where to put this shocking stat, but thanks to Cover 1...

Preston Brown has been way, way better statistically in coverage than... wait for it... Zach Brown.

love cover 1,  thanks for the link.

5 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Do you think Rex would have turned the ship around if he was given two more years?

I do.  It is completely unfair in any event to fire a coach after less than two seasons.  You really need to give a guy at least three to five seasons.

Just my two cents.

8 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Of course it needs to be a better combination then Pegulas first blush.
lets see how next season goes and reconvene about length of contract shall we.
Rex was and is an anomaly in many ways. I could think of three more A words to use when describing his fine work here.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

I do.  It is completely unfair in any event to fire a coach after less than two seasons.  You really need to give a guy at least three to five seasons.

Just my two cents.

3 to five.
available for parole after 3. No sooner.

In a league where Brandon Spikes in a limited role could look like a stud I am not surprised that Ragland is having some success. I think for the 3-4 Ragland will at least be an average player if not way above average. If he stays healthy he could be a very productive player in that system. The Bills decided to switch systems and had to get something for him before he loses value playing in the wrong system. 

8 hours ago, berg1029 said:

With the Bills playing the Chiefs, it seems like an appropriate time to bring this up.  Ragland appears to be getting more and more playing time with the Chiefs.  Last week, he was in nearly an even timeshare for snaps with Derrick Johnson (Ragland 47 snaps vs Johnson 51 snaps out of 68 total Giant's offensive snaps) and led the team in tackles (including one TFL).  It is also worth noting that the Giants averaged 3.5 yards/carry vs a season long average of 4.0 yards/carry.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/20/16680936/chiefs-andy-reid-roundup-whats-missing-at-wr-reggie-ragland-a-rookie-parker-ehinger

Only time will tell whether this was a good trade or not, but what do you all think?  Was he just a bad fit in the Frazier defense?  Will he end up being a solid player?  Was the trade for a fourth round draft pick a good decision?

The Chiefs are on a downward trajectory as Ragland gets more playing time... I see it as a "plug the dike" situation, trying to stop the leaks and get back on track.

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

If you don’t like Preston Brown in this scheme then you wouldn’t have liked Ragland.

Yes exactly...  We're probably looking at performances similar to Ramon Humber.  He'd put up some tackle number but get toasted in coverage.  Not a fit for a 4-3

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/22/2017 at 7:43 AM, berg1029 said:

With the Bills playing the Chiefs, it seems like an appropriate time to bring this up.  Ragland appears to be getting more and more playing time with the Chiefs.  Last week, he was in nearly an even timeshare for snaps with Derrick Johnson (Ragland 47 snaps vs Johnson 51 snaps out of 68 total Giant's offensive snaps) and led the team in tackles (including one TFL).  It is also worth noting that the Giants averaged 3.5 yards/carry vs a season long average of 4.0 yards/carry.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/20/16680936/chiefs-andy-reid-roundup-whats-missing-at-wr-reggie-ragland-a-rookie-parker-ehinger

Only time will tell whether this was a good trade or not, but what do you all think?  Was he just a bad fit in the Frazier defense?  Will he end up being a solid player?  Was the trade for a fourth round draft pick a good decision?

I thought he looked very strong on run downs. Decisive on filling the hole and made some sure tackles. I like the Spikes comparison for instincts but he didn't look quite as violent...Spikes was one of my favorite players to watch in his brief time here, watching him take on the lead blocker was just a joy. I think Ragland could pack on a few lbs and play as Spikes lite...just not sure how valuable a backer like that will be in today's game. But overall I think KC should be happy with him.

On 11/22/2017 at 9:43 AM, berg1029 said:

Personally, I would have rather had kept him given we had not yet even got to see him play yet or know what kind of player he could be.  I liked him in college, so was looking forward to seeing him on the field and LB wasn't an area I felt we had enough depth at in the first place.  I just felt going into this year, it wasn't like we were expected to compete for a SB, so lets see what we have in the kid.  I mean he was one year removed from being a highly regarded LB prospect and hadn't gotten a chance due to injury.  Not like we had an embarrassment of riches at LB.  

And all this talk about how he isn't the right fit on this board...there is a gross exaggeration and use of that term by fans.  They think of it as so black and white, but its not remotely close.  A good coach understands and knows how to use its best players.  Sure, there are roles in a system that are better suited for a certain type of player, but if that player isn't on your roster, you don't get rid of a talented player and then force a bad player into that position, you adjust your scheme and system to fit the roster too.  People act like a scheme or system is unchangeable and you either fit it or you don't, and its just not accurate.  

But this regime was more interested in next year than this year...a year where they can stock pile picks and TRY and make their mark with a big splash in the draft.  However, the HUGE risk is in whether they draft well and emerge with more talent than they sent away.  If they have a weak draft, they set this team back a lot by getting rid of a lot of young talent and their days will be numbered here.  Its a lot to ask to make up for in one draft.

He made some good plays in the running game, and also got handled a few times of runs.  Took him out when they expected passes.  It's fine to say ignore schemes, but you can't.  McDermott/Frazier's D relies on LBs who can cover as well as provide run support.  Ragland didn't fit.  He was given every chance in pre-season and simply didn't show enough to keep a job here.  Better spot for him in KC, and we move ahead.

On 11/22/2017 at 2:21 PM, Peter said:

After this trade, I predicted that we may end up having the same regret trading Reggie to the Chiefs as the Colts have had after trading Jerry Hughes to us.

As it turns out, we have plenty of guys who can stop the run . . . oh, oops, wait . . . never mind.

Our worst guy in pass coverage is Preston brown, and this guy was so much worse than brown at coverage that we had him on the scout team.  

Seems like we got sold a bill of goods by the coaching staff...dude was in our backfield several times and also had McCoy blanketed on a throw to him which was out of bounds...

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He made some good plays in the running game, and also got handled a few times of runs.  Took him out when they expected passes.  It's fine to say ignore schemes, but you can't.  McDermott/Frazier's D relies on LBs who can cover as well as provide run support.  Ragland didn't fit.  He was given every chance in pre-season and simply didn't show enough to keep a job here.  Better spot for him in KC, and we move ahead.

How do you show enough when you are coming back from ACL surgery and likely getting back into shape? It was silly to think he would be right back to normal after that much time of

Edited by matter2003