Glass Half Full / Half Empty / What's next

Jobot

Glass Half Full

I'll start with saying it could be 100x worse....  If it were the Patriots had been on the schedule this past week, they would have gladly acted as the culprit in grounding us high-flying Bills Fan Optimists... So at least it was the respectable Drew Brees Led Saints.

Glass Half Empty

This team looks like they're about to lose they're next 3-games... (at Chargers, at KC, vs. Pats).  If Tyrod doesn't have at least 2 good games during this stretch, I think Peterman gets the nod at home against the Colts.  I'd be interested in seeing him start one of these games, but with the Chargers game being out of scope for his first start (per the McDermott), no way am I starting him vs Pats or KC....

What's Next (I'm asking...)

Anyone who watches the All-22 know the answer to what the root to our defenses problem is?  It has to be one or the other, right?  I feel like understanding this should give fans some sense of what to expect going forward the rest of the year.

1 - Flawed defensive scheme (Guys are not given the tools to succeed from the time the ball is snapped)?

OR

2 - Poor talent on the defense (Guys are just not good enough to execute what is being asked)?

Someone on some WGR show (can't remember which one) said it best. We aren't missing the Marcell from this year. He was trash. We are missing the Marcell from the past few years. The guy who would eat up double teams and take away the up the gut run game. Living off of flukey turnovers was fun, but now we are exposed as a really thin, easy to push around defense. Our ONLY hope is to have an O that doesn't surrender 3 and outs 4 times in a row. I believe we have a QB on the roster who could facilitate that but who knows if he ever sees the field while still alive this year.

20 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Glass Half Full

I'll start with saying it could be 100x worse....  If it were the Patriots had been on the schedule this past week, they would have gladly acted as the culprit in grounding us high-flying Bills Fan Optimists... So at least it was the respectable Drew Brees Led Saints.

Glass Half Empty

This team looks like they're about to lose they're next 3-games... (at Chargers, at KC, vs. Pats).  If Tyrod doesn't have at least 2 good games during this stretch, I think Peterman gets the nod at home against the Colts.  I'd be interested in seeing him start one of these games, but with the Chargers game being out of scope for his first start (per the McDermott), no way am I starting him vs Pats or KC....

What's Next (I'm asking...)

Anyone who watches the All-22 know the answer to what the root to our defenses problem is?  It has to be one or the other, right?  I feel like understanding this should give fans some sense of what to expect going forward the rest of the year.

1 - Flawed defensive scheme (Guys are not given the tools to succeed from the time the ball is snapped)?

OR

2 - Poor talent on the defense (Guys are just not good enough to execute what is being asked)?

I think we have a major talent issue with the D.  We have a lot of "good" players, but few "playmakers."   The scheme could also be a problem.  Why no pressure on the QB.  

I think we get a DT  in the 1st round next year.  Anyone know who the top DT's are?  

Wow we are a bad team....talent is old!!!  The draft may save us yet...   We have a lot of picks!

picks and free agency... We need a QB, DT, WR, LB, RG..... maybe even new TE.  Although Logan Thomas need reps....he might be the solution.

Edited by Iraq Vet

Based on the last two games, the glass is completely empty!  I have seen NOTHING from either side of the ball that gives me ANY comfort or optimism for the rest of 2017.

(From here until Christmas, we are all going to find out if our Young Head Coach has earned any respect in that locker room.)

Glass Half Full:  Still in the drivers seat for the playoffs.

Glass half empty:  The last 2 weeks back to back, especially yesterday, really makes you question the make up of the team.  They laid down yesterday between the defense not stopping a run when the whole world knew they were running to Tyrod checking down repeatedly on 3rd down.  "Character teams" may get beat on talent but they should never get beat by being outworked and it feels like that is what happened the last 2 weeks.

What's next?  Bills **** or get off the pot.  Show the world that the last 2 weeks were flukes or show that you are the same as the last 17 years.  I think the "playoffs" start this week for the team.  Let's see what they are made of. 

Glass Half Empty: I'm curious as to what this team will do in the draft along with free agency. Maybe we do go after Cousins.. who knows. It's both exciting and nerve racking at the same time. 

Glass Half Full: We are still above .500 and in a play-off spot. I'm not saying this is a play-off team as it stands now, but we do control our destiny.

What's next? Show me this team isn't as weak as it appears. Both mentally and physically. Where is all this discipline and leadership the team along with the coaches and management were preaching in the off-season and the beginning of the season. 

PS. Like an $%^hole I will continue to watch every game and still acted shocked when they get destroyed. 

Just now, nedboy7 said:

wow what a bunch of dooms day whiners. 

there was a time I may of agreed with you, always tried to hold on to even the slightest of optimism but the last two weeks, no, I don't consider it whining at all. 

as far as my glass, that mother !@#$er is in pieces and will no longer hold anything.

Our talent on Defense isnt there, our best players are a rookie CB and a 34 year old DT thats showing his age. This defense has needed a stud defender to set the tone of the defense, a leader, a man that can make momentum changing plays. There is no one even resembling that on this roster. The LB unit is made up of scrubs also

Just now, Albwan said:

I still wouldnt be surprised if they didnt win again, indy looked decent.

miami will sweep, mark it.

on the bright side. 5-11 may have a top ten pick.

Peterman may win the meaningless last game of the season

Also a glass half full of sh*t is no better than a half empty one. 

30 minutes ago, BILLriant said:

Our talent on Defense isnt there, our best players are a rookie CB and a 34 year old DT thats showing his age. This defense has needed a stud defender to set the tone of the defense, a leader, a man that can make momentum changing plays. There is no one even resembling that on this roster. The LB unit is made up of scrubs also

Just need QB.

QB QB QB

Nothing else until then. Last 20 years proved everything is relatively easy to build except QB.

56 minutes ago, rant_and_go_returns said:

He's not in shape. Needs at least 20 lbs. One hit, he's dead.

I've wondered about this.  It's a lot of fun to go out and sling the ball around, but sooner or later you're going to take a hard hit.

Some QBs look skinny, and many just look like normal sized guys.  I'm amazed that they last as long as they do.

When a QB stands in the pocket and makes a throw with somebody bearing down on him, I can't imagine what that must be like.

What's next ? ... Back to back road losses to the bland Chargers and strong Chiefs get us to 5-6 with 4 straight L's ... Two of the final 5 games will be against the leagues darlings patriots ... there's my glass half empty.

3 weeks ago after wasting the Raiders we were great ... there's my half full.

5 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

Someone on some WGR show (can't remember which one) said it best. We aren't missing the Marcell from this year. He was trash. We are missing the Marcell from the past few years. The guy who would eat up double teams and take away the up the gut run game. Living off of flukey turnovers was fun, but now we are exposed as a really thin, easy to push around defense. Our ONLY hope is to have an O that doesn't surrender 3 and outs 4 times in a row. I believe we have a QB on the roster who could facilitate that but who knows if he ever sees the field while still alive this year.

That works two ways.  When people feel wanted or needed, they tend to give much better effort than if they feel unwanted and/or expendable.   Since stories began surfacing back in the spring about the Bills wanting to get rid of Dareus, it had to be obvious to him that he wasn't wanted.   I'm sure somewhere in McDermott's " study guide on "How to Be an NFL Head Coach" there's at least a paragraph or two about motivating players.  He might Google "self-fulfilling prophecy", too.

• Like (+1) 1

Glass Half Full: They still are in playoff position, the D up until the previous two games was doing quite well against the run and stopping teams in the redzone, and the offense I think still can improve with Benjamin here Clay healthy and more time to gel. Plus at points this season Tyrod has played better then I have seen yet.

Glass Half Empty: Run defense has been gnashed two straight weeks, tackling has went from being sound to a tire fire, they have lose two winnable games to Cincy/Jets that now give zero room for error, the offense has been out of sync badly the last two weeks, and in general the way they laid down against the Jets/Saints and showed no amount of fight and heart is incredibly concerning. Additionally Taylor against the Saints was a tire fire of epic levels that is hard to come back from.

Whats Next? Well this game is pretty much it for playoff chances. Win and things still look favorable with Colts and Phins at home and a late road date in Miami who shouldn't be playing for much. Most importantly it gives the team some confidence which it seems to have really lost since the Matthews fumble in that Jets game. Lose and the idea of going 6-10 looks quite ominous, makes you pause on how much progress really had been made this year, and conjures up every memory of the last 17 years with a soul killing slide out of playoff position.

Edited by corta765